beginnergirl

The cost of cycling on the road...

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/11/26/03/32/emma-kent-sentenced-for-distracted-driving-causing-death?ocid=Social-9NewsP

I got caught checking my phone at the start of the year at traffic lights... fined $800 and 4 demerit points. Was enough of a deterrent for me! 

Now that Zwift has become so popular,  are people using it because it’s convenient, because there are too many ****heads on the roads or other reasons? 

Edited by beginnergirl

Probably not popular but being realistic, I think we are too far gone to tell people not to use their phones in cars. 

I think they should relent and allow use when the car is stopped (at lights etc) but double the penalty for using it while the car is in motion. 

19 minutes ago, roxii said:

Probably not popular but being realistic, I think we are too far gone to tell people not to use their phones in cars. 

I think they should relent and allow use when the car is stopped (at lights etc) but double the penalty for using it while the car is in motion. 

I have to disagree. Once it's out & on the seat it's too easy to "just read the next message" after you've pulled off from the lights.

Not sure about other states, but in Qld P-platers aren't even allowed to use the phone hands free, and that's the way it should be for inexperienced drivers. They need to concentrate on driving, not a conversation they can have later.

Don't get me wrong I don't really like the idea, but what we are now doing isn't working. 

The hope would be that if people knew they could check at the lights they may at least wait till then rather than do it while moving. 

Ex, we have a GPS in Jasmine's car for when she gets her P's, so she can find her way around.  Her phone would be better, but she's keeping it in the glove box when she gets her P's.  Technically I don't think it can even be connected via Bluetooth for music, even if in the glovebox.

The project had a fairly well done story on the cyclist/motorist debate last night.  Didn't feel like a totally one sided story that causes rage from both sides.

Where I work it is instant dismissal if you're caught using a phone without a hands free BT connection and nobody expects you to answer the phone in the car if you don't want to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Where I work it is instant dismissal if you're caught using a phone without a hands free BT connection and nobody expects you to answer the phone in the car if you don't want to.

Similar here. Whilst they allow you to use a BT connection, most of our managers are pushing for you not to these days, and we're a phone company!

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Similar here. Whilst they allow you to use a BT connection, most of our managers are pushing for you not to these days, and we're a phone company!

Yep, we are also. In fact, we have 4,000 people on campus and I'm always amazed how few people are actually on the phone!

I saw a story the other about a city installing pedestrian lights in the ground because the residents walk around staring down so much. I think it was in China.

Not just in China.  There’s a couple of intersections in Sydney that have them as a test, down on Goulburn Street.

Its ridiculous.

Edited by Wronggenes
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not sure about other states, but in Qld P-platers aren't even allowed to use the phone hands free, and that's the way it should be for inexperienced drivers. They need to concentrate on driving, not a conversation they can have later.

Thats just dumb. you should always be allowed to use your phone handsfree. Very little difference to having a conversation with your passenger. 

20 minutes ago, Prince said:

Thats just dumb. you should always be allowed to use your phone handsfree. Very little difference to having a conversation with your passenger. 

Quite a number of studies would disagree with you.

Most have found that as long as you aren't arguing with the passenger, they are far less distracting than a hands free conversation on a phone. A large part of it is their reaction to any situation that is occurring outside the car, because they are aware as well, where-as the person on the other end of the phone isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wronggenes said:

Not just in China.  There’s a couple of intersections in Sydney that have them as a test, down on Goulburn Street.

Its ridiculous.

I walk with my head down or looking at the phone in the city lest I get asked by a bum/druggo/charity-mugger for money. Getting sick of being asked for stuff!!

21 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Quite a number of studies would disagree with you.

Most have found that as long as you aren't arguing with the passenger, they are far less distracting than a hands free conversation on a phone. A large part of it is their reaction to any situation that is occurring outside the car, because they are aware as well, where-as the person on the other end of the phone isn't.

is there GPS navigator also aware of whats occurring outside?, 

33 minutes ago, Prince said:

is there GPS navigator also aware of whats occurring outside?, 

It's getting to the point where they are, yes.

6 hours ago, MissJess said:

I walk with my head down or looking at the phone in the city lest I get asked by a bum/druggo/charity-mugger for money. Getting sick of being asked for stuff!!

You’re missing the best bit. Nothing better than staring a chugger straight in the face and blanking them 👍

Timely discussion.  I was driving behind a bloke today who was using 4 lanes of road because he was too busy looking at his phone.  Problem was that the road was only 2 driving lanes wide + breakdown lane  this bloke used the grass on both sides of the black stuff.  😯

Generally see plenty of other drivers who are using the breakdown lane to bypass the lines of waiting traffic.

And people wonder why I no longer ride my bike.  

• Sad 1

Today I was riding and a driver turning from a side street on the left was on his mobile to his ear and one hand on the steering wheel. He saw me and let me pass, but I mouthed get off your phone.

He obviously read my lips, because as he was passing me, he slowed down and opened his window and said that his son had just had a car accident and he had to pick up his wife to go see him.

Not sure whether he was apologising or he thought he had an excuse for being on his mobile, but I felt bad for getting angry at him. Then the more I thought about it, it was a prime example when you should have a hands free phone as he was obviously in a hurry and stressed.

2 minutes ago, fiftyplus said:

Today I was riding and a driver turning from a side street on the left was on his mobile to his ear and one hand on the steering wheel. He saw me and let me pass, but I mouthed get off your phone.

He obviously read my lips, because as he was passing me, he slowed down and opened his window and said that his son had just had a car accident and he had to pick up his wife to go see him.

Not sure whether he was apologising or he thought he had an excuse for being on his mobile, but I felt bad for getting angry at him. Then the more I thought about it, it was a prime example when you should have a hands free phone as he was obviously in a hurry and stressed.

I wonder if his son was on the phone when he had the accident?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder if his son was on the phone when he had the accident?

Good point!

I also noticed that he had red Ps on his car. He looked to be in his 50s and I assumed he may have just borrowed the car and not taken them off due to being in a hurry.

It does make you wonder 😏

One of those situations where I had a very patient truck driver waiting to turn right into the street that he came out of and then he does that. You’ve got to be so aware of your  surroundings when out there on the bike.

What about the cyclists filling my Instagram feed with selfies/videos taken from bunch rides on Sydney roads? In organised, coached training groups. Hope they are organ donors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

What about the cyclists filling my Instagram feed with selfies/videos taken from bunch rides on Sydney roads? In organised, coached training groups. Hope they are organ donors.

I’m so sick of this as well. 

I wish the police had a report webpage you could submit stuff like this. 

and dashcam footage. 

Last week I was standing at my office window looking out. I saw a girl looking down at her phone walk straight into a light pole. It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

She looked around sheepishly to see if someone had seen her. I felt like banging on the window and shouting, "I saw you, you idiot". 

It made my day.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, TimG said:

Last week I was standing at my office window looking out. I saw a girl looking down at her phone walk straight into a light pole. It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

She looked around sheepishly to see if someone had seen her. I felt like banging on the window and shouting, "I saw you, you idiot". 

It made my day.

I reckon I would see that every day around my work as there are so many road works and new poles etc. it would be funny except I also reckon once a week I see someone engrossed on their phone screen when they hear a pedestrian crossing buzzer (not their one) and just launch themselves off the footpath into traffic.. I grabbed a guy by his bag the other day just as a delivery van flew by a metre in front of him, he then abused me and went on his way back to his screen...  gee that post sounds like a FB classic...

There is a chick out my local pool who cant get through her swim set without checking social media.  Used to think she might have been on call and checking missed calls or had a program on her phone.  Nup

9 hours ago, Merv said:

There is a chick out my local pool who cant get through her swim set without checking social media.  Used to think she might have been on call and checking missed calls or had a program on her phone.  Nup

You swim with Courtney?

On 26/11/2018 at 9:42 PM, FatPom said:

Where I work it's the same, but even with hands free! And it does change the mindset. 

17 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Where I work it's the same, but even with hands free! And it does change the mindset. 

oh yeah I remember all that. No walking upstairs with a hot drink still in place?

On 01/12/2018 at 5:49 PM, FatPom said:

oh yeah I remember all that. No walking upstairs with a hot drink still in place?

I got a formal warning for this when I worked at BHP... walking stairs with a hot drink. I also got one in Townsville for crossing the rd outside the office without using the pedestrian lights 50m up the road!...... Townsville! If wasnt like it was a thriving metropolis! 

• Haha 1

On 30/11/2018 at 7:13 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Or Cranky? :)

Gasp!

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

Gasp!

Go on, tell us you don't use social media while training? :)

• Haha 1

On 30/11/2018 at 7:51 AM, TimG said:

It made my day.

I did that once, but it was a street sign.   I was looking at my finger which I had just sliced open with a paring knife - was walking down to the surgery to have it stitched.  I then fell off the curb when I was looking around to see if anyone had seen me.  Not one of my better days.

On 29/11/2018 at 6:08 PM, Parkside said:

I was cycling up Mt Mee the other day (for those who are not familiar it's a 6km steady climb) and there was a girl in front of me who was filming herself on all the most scenic sections. I would almost catch up with her when she would slip the phone away then power onto the next section leaving me in her dust...  At least she was solo and not in a group ride.

4 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

I was cycling up Mt Mee the other day (for those who are not familiar it's a 6km steady climb) and there was a girl in front of me who was filming herself on all the most scenic sections. I would almost catch up with her when she would slip the phone away then power onto the next section leaving me in her dust...  At least she was solo and not in a group ride.

Never done Mt Mee, I'll have to come one day.

23 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Never done Mt Mee, I'll have to come one day.

Great ride. The descent down the other side is to die for. :)

Drops even more height, in less than half the distance, and some hot corners.

10 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

I did that once, but it was a street sign.   I was looking at my finger which I had just sliced open with a paring knife - was walking down to the surgery to have it stitched.  I then fell off the curb when I was looking around to see if anyone had seen me.  Not one of my better days.

I was walking along Circular Quay and looked at a ferry... clearly printed on the side of the ferry I could see it said "Maximum Capacity 40 persons"... How odd I thought... it looks much bigger... how weird... I have an obsession with knowing why things are like they are so this really bothered me... Next thing I know I'm lying on the floor with a black eye from a lamppost...

Turns out the printing was on a life raft. 

Edited by monkie
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Count me out then, I'm a sook on descents. I lose so much time on the Noosa descent as im on the brakes.

• Confused 1

I'm the same AA.  Can't descend for shit.  When we do the range here, I get left for dead on the way down by the guys going 80 to 90, then wreck myself catching up at the bottom then am stuffed for the climb back up!

The "worst" cyclist I've ever ridden with (that wasn't me) reached 98 down that Noosa hill, on the day he went 3hrs.

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Did you notice that the barriers don't have a gap at the bottom.  Its to stop the cyclists who can't stay on 2 wheels from sliding off the road and over the edge.

Apparently an event that happens more often than you'd appreciate according to the locals.

AJ

40 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Did you notice that the barriers don't have a gap at the bottom.  Its to stop the cyclists who can't stay on 2 wheels from sliding off the road and over the edge.

Apparently an event that happens more often than you'd appreciate according to the locals.

AJ

It's actually for motorbikes, but yeah I know there are a few. Years back we had a guy in our group go over the edge a fair way. Managed to ride as far back as my place, then got his sister to pick him up & take him to the hospital. Turned out to be some internal bleeding, but not too bad.

the worst bit was I had to climb halfway back up the bloody climb to find him.

On 26/11/2018 at 7:27 PM, beginnergirl said:

Now that Zwift has become so popular,  are people using it because it’s convenient, because there are too many ****heads on the roads or other reasons? 

This was a topic of discussion over a coffee at the Goose before IMWA last week. There was 10 of us and only 3 of us did not use Zwift. 

The main reason for using Zwift was safety. 

The secondary reason seemed to be motivation, the competitiveness of a group Zwift race motivated people to train more. One guy knocks off work an hour early on a Tuesday as there is a good Zwift session on.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2018 at 10:27 PM, beginnergirl said:

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/11/26/03/32/emma-kent-sentenced-for-distracted-driving-causing-death?ocid=Social-9NewsP

I got caught checking my phone at the start of the year at traffic lights... fined $800 and 4 demerit points. Was enough of a deterrent for me! 

Just to be a shitstirrer..... maybe the cost is less if you obey the road rules?

We want to be treated as a car and legal road user ( as opposed to footpath warrior). Same rules apply? 

I think the same for those folks that speed and park illegally, despite all signs, and winge about the fines. 

Edited by Turts

On 09/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, Turts said:

Just to be a shitstirrer..... maybe the cost is less if you obey the road rules?

We want to be treated as a car and legal road user ( as opposed to footpath warrior). Same rules apply? 

I think the same for those folks that speed and park illegally, despite all signs, and winge about the fines. 

I'm reading it that BG was in her car when fined?

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'm reading it that BG was in her car when fined?

Could be. 

I assumed because of the thread title (about the cost of cycling on the road) and the fine for checking phone, that it was a bike phone check and the "cost" was the $$ of the fine. 

Either way, clearly illegal. 

But I can see the post might have really not have anything to do with the dollar cost of the fine - but the risk of distracted drivers., including checking their phones

On 09/12/2018 at 5:28 PM, Turts said:

Funnily enough I picked up my phone at the traffic lights to change songs on Apple Music I had streaming through Bluetooth. Motorbike cop tapped on my windscreen. 

Either way.... I’m well aware of the rules and happily paid the fine. 

Was at a party yesterday and found myself with 3 cops talking about mobile phones in cars. They all said they would rather remove the fine completely but double the points so people lose their license faster. 

Id never looked at it that way before. 

• Like 1

Let's go with immediate licence suspension for one month.

40 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Let's go with immediate licence suspension for one month.

And car crushed if you are caught driving on a suspended license. 

58 minutes ago, Peter said:

And car crushed if you are caught driving on a suspended license. 

With your mobile in it.

• Like 1