monkie

Patronising or encouraging?

I'm lucky enough that in the run section in most races I spend most of the time overtaking people and more often than not lapping folk too. When I go past somebody I usually say a friendly "Good work" or something similar... I like it when it happens to me but am worried that other people might find it patronising... thoughts?

6 minutes ago, monkie said:

I'm lucky enough that in the run section in most races I spend most of the time overtaking people and more often than not lapping folk too. When I go past somebody I usually say a friendly "Good work" or something similar... I like it when it happens to me but am worried that other people might find it patronising... thoughts?

Personally,  It means a lot coming from fellow competitors, faster or slower.  We're all suffering.

I talk to so many people during races I get the "I'm racing and ****ed, why are you taking to me" look from them.  I'm all for it.  Encourage away.

I love receiving a "good work" or "keep it up" and I love dishing it out with a little pat on the bum as running by

personally have always hated that. Really hate "looking good". No I don't, I don't look good, I don't fell good so shuduppa ya face. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nah...it's pretty lame. I will always say thanks to the volunteers at aid stations and turn arounds before saying anything to anyone racing on course. 

When told “you’re looking good” my stock response was 

“thanks for lying” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been standing on the traffic island heading up the hill at mooloolaba run leg encouraging people.

Most take it well if you say things with a smile.

In an event, I'm usually the one being encouraged/patronised.

Everybody knows "looking good" is reserved for the unfortunate, slow, fugly race face participant :D

6 hours ago, willie said:

personally have always hated that. Really hate "looking good". No I don't, I don't look good, I don't fell good so shuduppa ya face. 

Yep, nothing worse 30km into an Ironman. I’m not looking good, I’m looking like I’m about to collapse. 

My next least favourite is ‘you’re nearly there’ - no I’m not - there is still ages to go. If I’m so close, how bout you jog along with me!!

i should qualify this comme t with the fact I absolutely appreciate all the support from strangers on course, this was more of a good humoured comment than anything else.

Edited by The new guy
  • Like 1

I remember one year volunteering at a Kurnell race. It was the old, old course where there was a nasty hill in it. 

I was at the top of the hill directing runners. A bloke got to the top of the hill nd I said “good onya mate, not far to go” or something similar. 

He looked at me and without a smile said “what the fu*k would you know” .

i was wearing an Ironman finishers shirt!!! 

I can't think of any sport more encouraging than triathlon where the BOPers get as much support as the FOPers.  Long may it continue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't tend to say much if I'm actually racing, unless it seems appropriate to the person/situation, ie they look like they could do with some encouragement, or conversely they're at the the pointy end racing for the podium. Usually stick to 'good work' , 'hang in there' comments rather than 'looking good' or 'nearly there'. 

Personally I'm happy to receive any encouragement and quite like spectators reading my name off my bib and calling out for a bit of a lift on the run.

Nothing beats a bit of tough love, I've been called a 'disgrace to the sport of triathlon ' at a half once by a random ! I couldn't help laughing but no it didn't get me running any faster😂 .Normally that kind kind of abuse is reserved for mates

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some people don't appreciate it ad they think it is patronising. Others appreciate it.

Can't win so do what you like 😛 If they are offended, then let it inspire them with rage, if they appreciate it then they can feel encouraged 😉

Best phrase to use would be keep it going buddy. As often the case in Ironman a lot of people deflate when passed and have a quick walk.

My friend always says to me..... "you look shit"..... "you should pull out"....or 'there's no shame in not finishing'. he knows I would never not finish!!!

The best placard along the course I have seen reads - 'Pain is temporary, results on the internet are forever!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

Some people don't appreciate it ad they think it is patronising. Others appreciate it.

Can't win so do what you like 😛 If they are offended, then let it inspire them with rage, if they appreciate it then they can feel encouraged 😉

Indeed. You wont please all the peeps all the tme. 

I give it and I like getting it. 

But usually give things like 

Looking strong

Keep it up

Having fun yet?

Remember we paid to be here. 

Or tell a shit joke, and then Keep Smiling! 

50 minutes ago, Jon said:

The best placard along the course I have seen reads - 'Pain is temporary, results on the internet are forever!"

best one I've seen is this, both at LCW and IM :lol:

Dont-be-shit.jpg

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Russ72 said:

Nothing beats a bit of tough love, I've been called a 'disgrace to the sport of triathlon ' at a half once by a random ! I couldn't help laughing but no it didn't get me running any faster😂 .Normally that kind kind of abuse is reserved for mates

Lol by a stranger too. Harsh!

I loved it from spectators, or people I was passing. :)

The run was my best leg, and I couldn't think of anything worse than being told I was doing great by someone going past me. That said, if I was out there to have a good time and not trying to win, I'd love any interaction with other athletes. When I raced I don't think I ever gave "fake" comments to others I knew were racing, but would cheer on people I knew were out there having fun, or encourage mates doing it tough.

When I did my first HIM at Yeppoon, I was absolutely dying on the run and had no idea how was I going to get it done. The run was 3 laps and I was coming to the end of my second and there was an aid station just before the end, very close to the fork in the path where you carry on or turn right for the finish.

A lady at the aid station gave me a huge shout and and said "don't worry, you're nearly there, just round that corner".

I told her I had another lap to do and she said 'Good God'! :lol:

I came 6th from last overall.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, The new guy said:

My next least favourite is ‘you’re nearly there’ - 

I had one race where the opposite happened - long trail run, knew there was a road crossing coming up after a particularly nasty uphill section and I could cruise home from there.  Was really at the end of my tether when a couple of bushwalkers came from the other way.  Stopped them and asked how much further to the road, got a reply of "a couple of kms".  (Mind you this was pre garmin days and no course marking so no idea how much further to go).  Thinking it was a couple of kms I mentally went bad.

200 metres later I saw the road...

Yeah, I always offer a word of support to people I pass (or who pass me!) and those going the other way...

But, as per most of the above - I opt for the neutral-ish 'Nice work' or 'Keep it going' figuring you can't really offend anyone with those!

Nice one from my squad coach yesterday when I was on the run at Western Sydney... "You don't actually look THAT terrible"...

I'm taking that as a compliment... I think...

😉

• Haha 2

Apparently slapping people (same gender, that you already know) on the ass as you go by is not universally appreciated 

• Haha 1

One woman used to wear a costume that had written on her rear end ' It's not going to slap itself!'

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

• Haha 1

I love a good "keep up the work" or something along those lines and I am well and truly BOPer. I also hand it out especially to those who look like they're struggling. Not a fan of the "looking good" comments as I agree with everyone else...I am not looking good. And unless i'm in the last km DO NOT tell me i'm nearly there. I'm fat...and I hate running. I am not nearly there unless it's the last km!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trifun said:

Apparently slapping people (same gender, that you already know) on the ass as you go by is not universally appreciated 

That doesn't sound right at all. I've always thought it was an obligation.😄

• Haha 1