Jump to content
IronmanFoz

How long have you been doing tri's for?

Recommended Posts

On 25/11/2018 at 1:17 PM, AA7 said:

Saw many of your crew around the river this morning, do you need a senior's card to be in the squad? 😝

 

I’m still trying to shake the junior tag. 🙄

Come join us, help skew the average age in the right direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Pretty sure that was my first ever prize money 2x red lobsters !!! 

Thats $40 bucks for you new school kids 😂😂 finished 7th ish 

i do have a photo some where!

Is that right ?

or do I have events mixed up 

I did it one year with chuck Metters he won I got second and the following year with Crowie a local kid Mick Aplin got third by memory 

 

sure that was 93 /94?

different courses?

My kid worked for that Mick Aplin kid for a couple of yrs landscaping. Mick had a mtg stack 6 months ago and is lucky to be alive and walking, had a halo on for 6 months, it came off last week. I have the results of every Orange race, but they are down in the garden shed, can look old stuff up if you need it. There was an official Orange Triathlon, which was won by Tony Unicomb and a few other luminaries, the race won by Metters was one of several put on by a group of local race promoters. BTW Aplin went on to beat Crowie by 5 or 10 mins in a later race, he now lives a block away

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First tri was Leisure Coast Tri at Wollongong in 1985.

First Ironman was Forster in 1988, my 30th tri in 3 years.

I stopped counting my races over 15 years ago. At the time I had around raced around 200 tris. I "race" rarely these days, but I'm pretty sure I would have done over 300 by now.

43 Ironman, (I think), plus 5 races beyond IM distance.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2018 at 6:18 AM, Rob said:

My first Olympic Distance was Geelong in 2006. I was second last wave and it went over 40C while on the run. On the 2nd run lap I looked behind me and couldn't see anyone. Knew I was going very slow, but couldn't believe I was in last place. Found out later than the medical team and ambulances were so overrun that they closed the course just after I went through.

Got to the last aid station less than 1km from the finish and I must have looked terrible. The marshall at the aid station told me that if I didn't stop and drink at least 2 full cups he would disqualify me.

I did that same race and they allowed wetsuits - it was insane hot. Drank 2L of Coke afterwards just to be able to drive home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1991 was the first, the Captain Triathlon at Pykes Creek just outside of Ballarat. Parents drove me there and they were hoping that would be the end of it.

Since then: -

  • 5 x IM
  • 33 HIM
  • 27 OD
  • 200+ other sprint / MS / duathlons.

Been a bit of a lull recently, but putting together a comeback plan....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started in Dec 2004. Had a good 9 years in the sport until stupidly decided I wanted to play touch football again.

Bad idea, as stuffed my knees after 3 games with a severe tear of the meniscus, so knees haven't been the same since 2013.

Now just plod along in training trying to remain injury free and doing 1 tri a year since 2016, that being Noosa triathlon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First sprint: Sep 2013

First 70.3: March 2014

First IM: Dec 2014

Since then i've done a total of 3-4 sprints, 2 ODs, 5 HIMs and 1 IM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Triatx said:

First Race Febuary 1985 at Bicton in perth

Raced every year since then with lots of races every year.

Currently at 342 Triathlons including about 25 Halfs/70.3s and 10 IMs.

Just looked at it and worked out I have competed overseas nearly 40 times.

also just thaught how much this must have cost in 33 years.......jesus !!!!!

:) I lost count of specifics after about 200  (I know its over 300 now),

keep meaning to do a new tally, now I just count Noosa's and Worlds'

Edited by trifun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2018 at 4:18 PM, Rob said:

My first Olympic Distance was Geelong in 2006. I was second last wave and it went over 40C while on the run. On the 2nd run lap I looked behind me and couldn't see anyone. Knew I was going very slow, but couldn't believe I was in last place. Found out later than the medical team and ambulances were so overrun that they closed the course just after I went through.

Got to the last aid station less than 1km from the finish and I must have looked terrible. The marshall at the aid station told me that if I didn't stop and drink at least 2 full cups he would disqualify me.

Yeah, its gets like that there, one year they delayed the start till about 8 so the TV crews could get down from Melb to film the Pro race (without having to fork out for overnight accom) by the time the AG waves went out it was like that.

Previous year, got forgotten at pressies (won cat, plaque came in mail latter).

Its a long way to come form Qld. Didn't go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tri’s since 2009 - before that swam in team tri’s, masters swimming and some ocean swims.

10 x Mooloolaba

9 x Noosa

10 x 70.3

2 x IM (third coming up in Cairns 2019)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25 November 2018 at 5:18 PM, Rob said:

My first Olympic Distance was Geelong in 2006. I was second last wave and it went over 40C while on the run. On the 2nd run lap I looked behind me and couldn't see anyone. Knew I was going very slow, but couldn't believe I was in last place. Found out later than the medical team and ambulances were so overrun that they closed the course just after I went through.

Got to the last aid station less than 1km from the finish and I must have looked terrible. The marshall at the aid station told me that if I didn't stop and drink at least 2 full cups he would disqualify me.

Rob, I competed in that race as well. Remember it very well. Got so cooked on the bike and run. Finished over 3 hour mark. Went and sat under a hose for a while and drank anything I could get my hands on. Had to walk back to the car passed the swimming enclosure at eastern beach, so got the bright idea to grab a can of coke and sit under the fountain in the kiddies pool, as it was empty of kids. Half an hour later I'd been joined by a dozen more triathletes and the guy in the nearby coffee van was doing "table service" with soft drinks and food. Stayed in the pool for ages before I felt I could get out, pack th car and drive home.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Rob, I competed in that race as well. Remember it very well. Got so cooked on the bike and run. Finished over 3 hour mark. Went and sat under a hose for a while and drank anything I could get my hands on. Had to walk back to the car passed the swimming enclosure at eastern beach, so got the bright idea to grab a can of coke and sit under the fountain in the kiddies pool, as it was empty of kids. Half an hour later I'd been joined by a dozen more triathletes and the guy in the nearby coffee van was doing "table service" with soft drinks and food. Stayed in the pool for ages before I felt I could get out, pack th car and drive home.

Also did the 1993 Australian Long Course Duathlon Championships there in September. Temperature around 0C all day and the warm-up consisted of sitting in the car with the heater on until 2 minutes before the start. Windy as hell and miserable day. I won my AG (first and last time for everything) and they posted the medal to me a couple of weeks later.

G Town can throw up anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I'm just a grass hopper in this company! Love the old school steam pipe bikes. swimmers and stack hats.

2010 I think I started

10x70.3, 6xIM, 1xDualthonWC, 1xCrossTriWC qualified but was sick for it, but really just having BOP fun with it more than anything.

Edited by Slunnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Also did the 1993 Australian Long Course Duathlon Championships there in September. Temperature around 0C all day and the warm-up consisted of sitting in the car with the heater on until 2 minutes before the start. Windy as hell and miserable day. I won my AG (first and last time for everything) and they posted the medal to me a couple of weeks later.

G Town can throw up anything!

Believe it or not, I did that race too. Shocker of a race weatherwise. I had my red soft ride bike that day. No disc, just the 18 spoke rival wheels. Still got blown everywhere. Punctured 1 km from the bike finish and just managed to get back to transition before the front tyre went down completely. Bit hairy through the gardens and back down the hill with a deflating front tyre. 

The rain and cold were a piss off. The most I remember of the run legs was numb toes and aching face from the cold wind. Oh, and running ankle deep in mud through the botanic gardens section of the run leg. My Nike Air Mariah's were not white after that race! Even after wash they were just grey and they stank. Those shoes had to live in the shed with the bike, never allowed in the house as they stank so much, haha.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like a such a newbie. First race was the sprint at big husky in 2016, Pretty sure I was DFL out of the water and didn't improve much on the bike or run.

Backed it up the next weekend and did the enticer at sparkle helmore and placed 3rd in ag. Only podium I've ever got so far

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t worry all you newbies you will eventually clock up the years and then you will feel the power of telling everybody that 

“IT WAS WAY F$&king HARDER BACK IN THE DAY “

😂😂😂😂

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1987 or 88 Nepean.

You were permitted a 'handler' in transition - I thought it a good idea to wear a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off knotted at the back over my older brothers surfing wetsuit for the swim. Needless to say my father earned his handlers fee that day ripping the t-shirt off me post swim... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next April it will be my 30th year. Started in 1989 with the Corp Tri at Narrabeen (500/15/5) at the age of 30 after a sports career in swimming, rugby league and basketball.  Only had 2009 off Triathlon due to bike crash and multiple broken ribs and operations. I have done about 150 or so races from short to IM. Enjoying a few 70.3 races lately. I would love to do IM #5 but I honestly not in the mood for one. Looking forward to the 60 AG and especially time  after 19 July 2019. 

FM

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First tri I did was as a team - I ran the 14km hilly and hot run leg at Nepean Tri in 1987. Backed up the following weekend with the Xmas Opera House biathlon. First full triathlon was the Deakin Health Spa Triathlon in January 1988, so I’ve been doing triathlon on and off for over 30 years this year.

Since getting started I’ve done:

6 x IM races (plus one DNF with hypothermia at Forster in 2003);

Over 30 long course races ranging from 2/60/15km up to 3/130/30km;

over 100 other triathlons of varying distances;

about 100 other multiple races (beach biathlons, swim-run biathlons, aquathons and duathlons);

about 100 ocean swims and surf races; and

about 100 fun runs, half marathons and park runs.

Ive had two big breaks - between 1993 and 1996 and again, when I suffered a debilitating back injury in 2005: it took me more than 2 years before I could even swim any distance and another 2 before I could do a triathlon again.

i only one or two ironman races left in me and I want to make them count.

after that I want to do a sprint distance world championships and swim the Gibraltar Straght. Thereafter I’m taking up surfing full time lol 😂 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crickey, just realized this is a triathlon forum. The whole Trannies thing confused me.

Guess I should give this triathlon thing a crack one-day then.

Edited by Naut
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flanman said:

Next April it will be my 30th year. Started in 1989 with the Corp Tri at Narrabeen (500/15/5) at the age of 30 after a sports career in swimming, rugby league and basketball.  Only had 2009 off Triathlon due to bike crash and multiple broken ribs and operations. I have done about 150 or so races from short to IM. Enjoying a few 70.3 races lately. I would love to do IM #5 but I honestly not in the mood for one. Looking forward to the 60 AG and especially time  after 19 July 2019. 

FM

Flannie... If you started in 1989 (with me) at Narrabeen. You would be into your 30th year now. I counted it as 30 Years upon doing this years Nepean.

Oh... And back when we started Team Barracuda was the team to be in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm done with tri for a while, simply so many other endurance things to enjoy.  No doubt I will circle back to it at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I'm done with tri for a while, simply so many other endurance things to enjoy.  No doubt I will circle back to it at some point.

This has been me, stopped tri's, done lots of other stuff but always kept up the sbr so I never lost touch completely. For any tris next year I'll buy a 1 day race licence. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dec 2004 - Mini on no training in years... didn't make it through the swim without a break, ride well.. the less said the better, and the run... it was 1km... and I still walked!

many sprints, some olys, a couple of halfs and one full IM... 

walked away from sport about 6 years later after putting more time to the club and running events than ever training for tris. a couple of failed restarts in between, but finally back on the horse. Regular training, improvements coming thick and fast (these will end soon no doubt!) and a half on the horizon. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I think about it, and make some educated guesses, I've probably been doing Triathlons for about 300 to 400 hours.

So only about 23 races (Ironmans) then. averaging 16:59 ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'm done with tri for a while, simply so many other endurance things to enjoy.  No doubt I will circle back to it at some point.

You'll be back ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

You'll be back ....

No doubt, not sure it will be in time for St Polten though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2018 at 7:53 AM, Bored@work said:

15 years. 

20 x ironman 

3 x 70.3

2 x Olympic 

1 x Sprint 

1 x Come & Try 

Not so big on the short races are you. I've done 1 Ironman, 13 Half Ironmans, 10 Olympics and easily over 100 Sprints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rob said:

Not so big on the short races are you. I've done 1 Ironman, 13 Half Ironmans, 10 Olympics and easily over 100 Sprints.

Yep not a fan. If I'm going to race it will be overseas & it will be an Ironman. No point flying all that way to race a sprint or 70.3

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early days of triathlon we were keen for the sport to be accepted into the Olympics and a lot of the emphasis was on the OD races.  The sprint races were put on mainly to attract newcomers to the sport and for those too young to handle the longer distance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jon said:

In the early days of triathlon we were keen for the sport to be accepted into the Olympics and a lot of the emphasis was on the OD races.  The sprint races were put on mainly to attract newcomers to the sport and for those too young to handle the longer distance.

Agreed. Nearly everything up here in the late 80's was 1/30/8 to 1.5/40/12, with the occasional shorter one like the "Easter Bunny". And there were only Barry Vovo's Great race & World cup, or Gundy for longer ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Yep not a fan. If I'm going to race it will be overseas & it will be an Ironman. No point flying all that way to race a sprint or 70.3

My one and only Ironman was the closest to where I live. In fact the run went passed my house.

The furthest I have traveled for a race is London and Vancouver - both Short Course Worlds. Best part about doing a short race overseas is that you can enjoy your extended holiday afterwards without being stiff and sore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be great to have our old QSTS again - a true attempt at a state wide series?

* (Qld State Triathlon Series - annual series with up to 10 OD events from Gold Coast up to Mission Beach)

A lot of people got their start doing the teams before moving into solo OD efforts.

PS: whatever happened to Richard Curzon (who started the QSTS  after doing a couple of the Bud Light series in the USA)?

his mate Renne Frizzo who wrote the custom timing software that ensured results on the day with full splits for every one (business latter transformed into Timing Wizards now run by Tony Fowler)?

and the construction guy who financed and built things (forget his name(gary mcdonald?))?

Coz they really forged our sport along in the earlier '80's in Qld.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First race was on the Gold Coast at Elanora in the old Gatorade Series in 1996 I think it was. 

Sprint distance of 750/20/5.

Decent runner and rode to uni every day but figured I could bluff my way through the swim.

I bluffed my way through the swim for about 100m and then had to breast stroke most of the rest of the way in........🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rob said:

My one and only Ironman was the closest to where I live. In fact the run went passed my house.

The furthest I have traveled for a race is London and Vancouver - both Short Course Worlds. Best part about doing a short race overseas is that you can enjoy your extended holiday afterwards without being stiff and sore.

The key is trying to manage being stiff & sore and not wasting a day of holiday. 

My wife often schedules a 7hr shopping trip for the day after Ironman. You learn how to sleep on park benches, courtesy shuttles & the little stools near the change rooms.

This year she booked us in for a tree top climbing experience a few days after. That was brutal!!! I was happy when my daughter freaked out on the adults course & I had to go and support her on the kids climb :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The key is trying to manage being stiff & sore and not wasting a day of holiday. 

My wife often schedules a 7hr shopping trip for the day after Ironman. You learn how to sleep on park benches, courtesy shuttles & the little stools near the change rooms.

This year she booked us in for a tree top climbing experience a few days after. That was brutal!!! I was happy when my daughter freaked out on the adults course & I had to go and support her on the kids climb :)

And I thought the 14 hours of driving back from Forster after an ironman was tough. 7 hours of shopping! Man that's a real ironman/husband effort. And as for the tree top climbing effort, fark! You should be doing Ultraman with those workouts under your belt, haha.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greyman said:

And I thought the 14 hours of driving back from Forster after an ironman was tough. 7 hours of shopping! Man that's a real ironman/husband effort. And as for the tree top climbing effort, fark! You should be doing Ultraman with those workouts under your belt, haha.

Disneyworld 2 days after Ironman Lake Tahoe was the worst. Luckily we were holidaying with friends & one of the girls was pregnant (she couldn’t go on the rides, had sore ankles & all she wanted to do was eat).  It was a match made in heaven. We moved from cafe to cafe as the rest of the group moved around the park going from ride to ride. I was also on the beers back then so I ended up pissed by the end of the day.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ultrarunner girlfriend (at the time) came to Busso with me in 2004. To make it a romantic togetherness trip, we came home via NZ and did the Kepler Challenge the weekend after. It only hurt for the first 10 km, I was numb after that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, trifun said:

Anything shorter than "sprint" (750/20/5) is really a training session with company :)

Disagree. If you are fair dinkum then the shorter the distance the harder it hurts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesnt really matter how many you have or havent done,  you;re only as good as your last race

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2017 was my first.  Signed up for local club's novice course just shy of my 40th birthday.  Course gave me 2 entries to local evens and did sprint distance.

Had all intentions of doing Busso 70.3 May this year but stress fracture in left foot late in the year put end to that plan. 

Goal is to do a couple of sprints and Oly before second attempt at May next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stuie016 said:

2017 was my first.  Signed up for local club's novice course just shy of my 40th birthday.  Course gave me 2 entries to local evens and did sprint distance.

Had all intentions of doing Busso 70.3 May this year but stress fracture in left foot late in the year put end to that plan. 

Goal is to do a couple of sprints and Oly before second attempt at May next year. 

People often seem in hurry to jump up to the longer distances.  Stress fractures can be the result of trying to ramp things up too fast.

Appreciate all the distances. Plenty of great triathletes have never done an Ironman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...