IronmanFoz

How long have you been doing tri's for?

Based on the 13 hour thread which Steve posted the follows and Paul beautifully respond (see below):

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, steve said:

As of today, I've been training for IMs for 20 years. 

Pfft! F*ckin' newbies! <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Me : 30 years this year!!! (As at Nepean this year)

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 2

1994 pier one. 

37 half Ironman’s 

10 Ironman’s 

nfi others.  Over 100

Did my first in 88 so started 30 years ago but had over a decade out plus the last couple years.

i was 12 years old and raced at Coffs Harbour now I’m not sure if Mr Every will remember or not but he rode his bike up to Coffs to race   And the weather was shit so instead of riding back to Sydney we gave him a lift ! 

At the time I thought he was a legend for doing that now I think you were a lunatic 😉😂😂

Here is a pic 

D0508957-0152-4854-A62F-2A5BFFD61316.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Been training for IMs for 20 years, but my first tri was 23 years ago – that's how long I've actually been in the sport. Started training, on and off, and following the sport in 1982. I put work and school and laziness ahead of getting myself sorted to actually race, and to train more than 4 or 5 months out of 12. In 1995, sat next to Sally Edwards on a plane, had a nice conversation and she gave me her copy of Triathlete. I thought she looked familiar but didn't realise it was her until I got to my hotel and read the name on the label. Did my first race three months later.

Edited by steve

SInce 1985, never done an Ironman snd looks like I never will!

97F96F13-AA33-449C-808B-72E73CAE45A7.jpeg

Edited by batman
  • Like 4

First one in '84. Raced for 6 years, then took 19 years off, then came back for about 3 years but didn't do many races due to fitness & injury, then retired hurt. 3 x IM in the first stint. 1 x HIM in the 2nd.

I WILL DO ANOTHER TRIATHLON.

It won't be a long one, and it won't be raced.

31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

First one in '84. Raced for 6 years, then took 19 years off, then came back for about 3 years but didn't do many races due to fitness & injury, then retired hurt. 3 x IM in the first stint. 1 x HIM in the 2nd.

I WILL DO ANOTHER TRIATHLON.

It won't be a long one, and it won't be raced.

Was one of the IMs in the first stint Hawaii?  Does that mean it only took you two IMs to qualify?  That's pretty impressive!

Edited by FatPom

First race was Canobolas tri in Orange in 1991.

Jabbs won it. 

Did my first IM in 1996 

probably should have taken more note of my latest ones as now I can’t remember which race was my last ever.

retired but not “happily” 

I have in the game since 1988 as a 16 year old, my 4th race was Frankston half ironman,😋

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Did my first in 88 so started 30 years ago but had over a decade out plus the last couple years.

i was 12 years old and raced at Coffs Harbour now I’m not sure if Mr Every will remember or not but he rode his bike up to Coffs to race   And the weather was shit so instead of riding back to Sydney we gave him a lift ! 

At the time I thought he was a legend for doing that now I think you were a lunatic 😉😂😂

Here is a pic 

D0508957-0152-4854-A62F-2A5BFFD61316.jpeg

Looks like the Pacific Islanders were  out in support.

Edited by trilobite
  • Haha 2

Back then that was probably most triathletes accomodation. 

Started training to do my first one in 1993.  Did that first one in 2009.....

I don't rush things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Was one of the IMs in the first stint Hawaii?  Does that mean it only took you two IMs to qualify?  That's pretty impressive!

Yep. I was seeded for my first race at Forster, based on my OD results, and learnt the hard way that IM is a whole different ball game. I walked the 2nd half of the marathon and swore I'd never do another IM.

So of course I went back the next year and did it properly, and qualified. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yep. I was seeded for my first race at Forster, based on my OD results, and learnt the hard way that IM is a whole different ball game. I walked the 2nd half of the marathon and swore I'd never do another IM.

So of course I went back the next year and did it properly, and qualified. ;)

:clapping: Nice work!

Dec 2009 swimer in a team enticer
2009/2010 enticer 
2010/2011 enticer
2011/2012 sprint distance
2013 1st Olympics Distance
2014 1st 70.3
2015 1st IM - Australia
2016 2nd IM - Cairns
2016 3rd IM - Kona
2018 OD Worlds

I'm a relative late comer to the sport. First tri was Tri Pink in 2007.

Never thought it would lead to IM and like others, during the first, I swore there would never be a second. This stuff is like crack though.......

• Haha 1

First was Airlie Beach dnf in 2007ish 🤔🤔

Then a club Tri in Mackay 

Then GC HIM 2007?

Then Geelong HIM 2008?

Then night shift and over weightness 

Then swim(floated on my back with the current) leg of a team in Yeppoon (hooked again watching the club members go round) 2008?

Then Port HIM 2008?

Then Busso HIM in May 2009. I can confirm this year and date due to Mooj being made during the trip after a Margaret River bottle of red and some cheese two nights before the race. 

Haven't been in an event since then. 

GC HIM was 2007.

Still have the towel in the cupboard 

Edited by FFF1077
Details

22 minutes ago, CootaGC said:

1984 todayfm tri, swim from pier 1 across the harbour.

I did one of these but cannot remember the year. I think Spot Anderson won the year I was in it. I recall the swim across the harbour and the run back across the bridge.

I am now working in North Syd and cannot for the life of me work out where the ride went other than around Balls Head.

My first triathlon was in 1982 and was a combined ADF/AFP event at Lake Ginninderra In Canberra.  There were no bike racks so I just laid my steel-framed commuter bike on a grassy knoll at the edge of the lake where my wife waited for me to exit the water.  She passed the towel to me to dry myself off and then I put my running shoes on to ride the bike because no one had heard of cycling shoes as we know them now. I can't remember having a bottle holder on that bike so no nutrition during the whole event - but that was pretty typical of fun runs at the time.  We all wondered if this new sport would catch on or would it go the way of fringe sports like orienteering.

First race in 84 - a 500m - 15km - 5km - 2nd last out of the water - got off the bike and felt like I had 100psi in each calf (waddled like a duck) - raced with my youngest son and daughter 

First Ironman in 86 - was totally defeated by it - didn't even make the "Trannies accepted finish time limit" - went away and learned a few things - still learning 34yrs later 😏  

Edited by AP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was the last Canobolas Tri Roxi so the Jabbs record still stands as does his 57 min bike split

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AP said:

First race in 84 - a 500m - 15km - 5km - 2nd last out of the water - got off the bike and felt like I had 100psi in each calf (waddled like a duck) - raced with my youngest son and daughter 

First Ironman in 86 - was totally defeated by it - didn't even make the "Trannies accepted finish time limit" - went away and learned a few things - still learning 34yrs later 😏  

Saw many of your crew around the river this morning, do you need a senior's card to be in the squad? 😝

And saw you giving someone a pep talk on the bikeway, might've been struggling I think.

• Like 2

First tri would have been 1997 or 1998 at the old Oasis Gym in Canberra. 

Remember doing a St George Oly in Wyong in 1999 or 2000 that was about 40C  finished in about 3 hours and they were packing up as I was coming in.

Did some Sri Chinmoy long course races in early 2000s. Usually one of the last to finish in about 6 hours+ .

Failed to automatically qualify for IMOZ at Gold Coast Half in 2006 in 5:22.  Baggsy later gave me a spot  

First IM 2007 at Port in 11.21

Total of 5 IMs at Port. Quickest 10:48 in 2014. Slowest 13:15 guiding another athlete around in 2017.  That was my last tri of any distance I think. 

Had been divorced for 2 years and was doing activities I never did while married. Entered fun runs, bought a motorbike and did track days.

Late 2002 I came home and told my then new girlfriend (now wife) that I had entered a Corporate Triathlon (400/10/4) through work. Her response, "You are an idiot! You can't swim and don't own a bike".

$200 bike purchased through the Trading Post (steel bike with gear levers on the frame, 6 speed rear cassette). Ran to the local pool every lunchtime and tried to teach myself to swim (would not advise this method).

Work organised 6am Friday training sessions at Elwood beach (location of race). Girlfriend said she'd come along to mind the gear while we trained - she was expecting to see lots of very fit looking athletes. Watching everyone get changed, she leans over to me and whispers, "Are these the people who are going to race the Triathlon?". After I assured her they were, she added in disbelief, "Really! These people?".

At Elwood beach there are 2 poles about 100m out from shore and roughly 200m apart. The idea of the training session was to simply swim around the poles - around 400m which was the distance of the swim in the Corporate Tri.  Of the 30 or so 'athletes' who turned up, about 5 were very good and at least another 10 could comfortably swim the full 400m. I made it almost half way to the first pole before turning back into shore, thinking that was a good first effort (almost 100m and some of that not walking) - I was not the worst swimmer there.

Girlfriend's response after watching the training session, "I'm going to do the Triathlon next year"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, flathead said:

I did one of these but cannot remember the year. I think Spot Anderson won the year I was in it. I recall the swim across the harbour and the run back across the bridge.

I am now working in North Syd and cannot for the life of me work out where the ride went other than around Balls Head.

I may have it wrong a long time ago but I think Allen, Molina, Dragan were top 3, not sure what order and I thought it may have been just a swim run after first one as the bike was so dangerous. All the roads were open to traffic, we were riding between cars at lights. It was hectic. Over next few years did Dubbo, Forbes, Canberra, long course on Mornington peninsula which Stephen foster won i think, nowra, Wagga etc

1 hour ago, Shuffla said:

Remember doing a St George Oly in Wyong in 1999 or 2000 that was about 40C  finished in about 3 hours and they were packing up as I was coming in.

We must have finished together. 

It took me 16 years before I did another Olympic triathlon 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shuffla said:

My first Olympic Distance was Geelong in 2006. I was second last wave and it went over 40C while on the run. On the 2nd run lap I looked behind me and couldn't see anyone. Knew I was going very slow, but couldn't believe I was in last place. Found out later than the medical team and ambulances were so overrun that they closed the course just after I went through.

Got to the last aid station less than 1km from the finish and I must have looked terrible. The marshall at the aid station told me that if I didn't stop and drink at least 2 full cups he would disqualify me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roxii said:

First race was Canobolas tri in Orange in 1991.

Jabbs won it. 

Did my first IM in 1996 

probably should have taken more note of my latest ones as now I can’t remember which race was my last ever.

retired but not “happily” 

Pretty sure that was my first ever prize money 2x red lobsters !!! 

Thats $40 bucks for you new school kids 😂😂 finished 7th ish 

i do have a photo some where!

3 hours ago, batman said:

That was the last Canobolas Tri Roxi so the Jabbs record still stands as does his 57 min bike split

Is that right ?

or do I have events mixed up 

I did it one year with chuck Metters he won I got second and the following year with Crowie a local kid Mick Aplin got third by memory 

sure that was 93 /94?

different courses?

Corporate games March 2013, first proper season was 2013/2014.

First sprint distance - Early 2014
First finished club distance - October 2015 (had one DNF)
First finished oly distance - April 2017 (had one DNF)
First long course - October 2017 (Forster Ultimate)
First 70.3 - May 2018

• Like 1

I entered the Gatorade Triathlon Series in Victoria for the 2008/09 season.

Race 1 was 10 years ago to this weekend and In true Victorian tradition, it was turned into a duathlon!

As was Race 2 in December, so I had to wait until Race 3 in January 2009 at Sandringham to pop the cherry.

I'm up to 87 races now, from Minis to IM's in 6 of the 8 Australian states and territories and in 4 countries, great way to see the world!

• Thanks 1

On and off for 25 yrs. Too many other options out there to commit to it year in year out.

In this short thread so for we have approx. 600 years of triathlon experience give or take a few years. I think I counted 596 years.

First tri was Rotorua half in dec 2006. I learnt to swim that year to do the half at age 39. This was so i could do IMNZ in 2007

I had done the cycle leg of a corporate tri in about 2004.

Spent 1995 to 2006 doing multi-sport (run, bike, kayak) racing but the wife decided that moving the kayak to transition with two toddlers was to much so said I needed as new sport. 

About 100 races !st race was 86, last race was 2018, I did have 26 years off in the middle for spinal fusion.

Actually swam breaststroke for my 1st 10 triathlons ..... a few years later I swam a 53 for 3.8 in my 1st (and only) IM

• Like 2

Tri's Since 1984 - no pics from then

Aquathlons since 1983

but here is one form '86

10924662_1560867140823855_412323871396553358_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1981 First Tri

Started with 2km swim at Frankston, Bike to Elwood then 17 Km run finished at Melbourne Town Hall, sponsored by Nautilus gym.

Probably about 120 entries from memory

• Like 1

I started in 2015

2015 Anzac 100 in Townsville 1 km 90 km 9 km did the ride on my MTB

2016 Cairns & Taupo 70.3

2017 IM Cairns

2018 Vietnam 70.3 / and Busso IM this weekend

Never done any smaller races than the Anzac 100

Location and no races / Tri clubs where I live limit my opportunities

• Like 1

I bought my first tri bike in 1989 - a Cannondale with the modern aerobars.  Note the gear shifter on the down tube and the pump under the top tube.  It was a 7 speed as it was the latest thing then.

Alabama state tri002 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, trifun said:

Tri's Since 1984 - no pics from then

Aquathlons since 1983

but here is one form '86

10924662_1560867140823855_412323871396553358_o.jpg

I had the same helmet. Not happy when I was force by new rules to give up the soft ribbed helmet

Relay swimmer in 2001. First sprint tri in 2002 in Desaru, Malaysia - won the juniors category (only one junior category for 19 years and under). Pic below - speedos for the swim, bike shorts on in T1 and run shoes with flat pedals on a borrowed bike 

received_10153533066415028.thumb.jpeg.e17cb52d4d4cf41249db442f96668da6.jpeg

To date, 12 Ironmans (applying for Kona legacy this Friday!), about 20+ half IMs and maybe around 30 ODs.

Edited by k3vski
  • Like 1

First Race Febuary 1985 at Bicton in perth

Raced every year since then with lots of races every year.

Currently at 342 Triathlons including about 25 Halfs/70.3s and 10 IMs.

Just looked at it and worked out I have competed overseas nearly 40 times.

also just thaught how much this must have cost in 33 years.......jesus !!!!!