zed

Bait bikes

I work at a Uni and we have had quite a few bike thefts. The cozzers have now installed a bait bike, an expensive bike with shitty lock and a GPS tracker. They move it around the campus. It's been stolen (and recovered) 7 times in 3 weeks! 6 people have been arrested and charged including a couple of students. One guy has multiple charges as he stole it twice lol. I guess he hasn't pegged it's a bait bike. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I also work at a uni, we've had the same (beaten up old) bikes in the same bike rack for close on 3 years

17 minutes ago, zed said:

I work at a Uni and we have had quite a few bike thefts. The cozzers have now installed a bait bike, an expensive bike with shitty lock and a GPS tracker. They move it around the campus. It's been stolen (and recovered) 7 times in 3 weeks! 6 people have been arrested and charged including a couple of students. One guy has multiple charges as he stole it twice lol. I guess he hasn't pegged it's a bait bike. 

This is awesome.

It's just a shame we don't have a 3 strikes and you never get out of jail again.

• Like 1

I work on a gas plant, my work bike gets stolen by scaffolders and painters and insulators and fitters all the time....they're not terribly clever

The sparky tried stealing it one time even when it had a flat Tyre

Guest FFF1077
3 hours ago, zed said:

Brilliant 

8 hours ago, xblane said:

I also work at a uni, we've had the same (beaten up old) bikes in the same bike rack for close on 3 years

At Melbourne Uni in 1993, there was a bike locked to a fence with a D-Lock around the seatpost. Over a couple of days, everything was stripped from it .... bars... wheels .... derailleurs .... cranks ... HS and forks .... BB, so that all that was left was the frame, post and saddle, dangling from the D-Lock.

Who carries around a BB tool (the old cartridge style) for that purpose???

9 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

At Melbourne Uni in 1993, there was a bike locked to a fence with a D-Lock around the seatpost. Over a couple of days, everything was stripped from it .... bars... wheels .... derailleurs .... cranks ... HS and forks .... BB, so that all that was left was the frame, post and saddle, dangling from the D-Lock.

King St and Flinders, this year.🙄

88114504-0107-44E4-9B11-B783F61D7E2B.jpeg

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I'd still like to find the particular arsehole at Melbourne Uni a few years ago who stole my bloody saddle! Honestly, wasn't a huge amount of fun riding home out of the saddle.

And then there was the girlfriend many years ago who used to carve messages into my aerobar pads when I parked the bike at Melbourne Uni. 

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

If they had the tools, why not just remove the saddle/post, leave it hanging, and take the rest? Not such smart people at uni

1 hour ago, Turts said:

If they had the tools, why not just remove the saddle/post, leave it hanging, and take the rest? Not such smart people at uni

TAFE students would have had the ability to do that. I'm surprised the Uni students could use the tools they did.

• Haha 2

On 21/11/2018 at 11:49 PM, altayloraus said:

I'd still like to find the particular arsehole at Melbourne Uni a few years ago who stole my bloody saddle! Honestly, wasn't a huge amount of fun riding home out of the saddle.

And then there was the girlfriend many years ago who used to carve messages into my aerobar pads when I parked the bike at Melbourne Uni. 

Sweet messages of love and adulation I hope...

Or maybe messages imploring you to get up at 3:45 and train harder.

Well, they were sweet messages.

But she could always outsquat me... First of a long line of girlfriends who were better athletes than me!

As Rimmer can attest, several were VERY good athletes, and me, well, not so much.