Jump to content
zed

Bait bikes

Recommended Posts

I work at a Uni and we have had quite a few bike thefts. The cozzers have now installed a bait bike, an expensive bike with shitty lock and a GPS tracker. They move it around the campus. It's been stolen (and recovered) 7 times in 3 weeks! 6 people have been arrested and charged including a couple of students. One guy has multiple charges as he stole it twice lol. I guess he hasn't pegged it's a bait bike. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also work at a uni, we've had the same (beaten up old) bikes in the same bike rack for close on 3 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, zed said:

I work at a Uni and we have had quite a few bike thefts. The cozzers have now installed a bait bike, an expensive bike with shitty lock and a GPS tracker. They move it around the campus. It's been stolen (and recovered) 7 times in 3 weeks! 6 people have been arrested and charged including a couple of students. One guy has multiple charges as he stole it twice lol. I guess he hasn't pegged it's a bait bike. 

This is awesome.

It's just a shame we don't have a 3 strikes and you never get out of jail again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work on a gas plant, my work bike gets stolen by scaffolders and painters and insulators and fitters all the time....they're not terribly clever

The sparky tried stealing it one time even when it had a flat Tyre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest FFF1077
3 hours ago, zed said:

I work at a Uni and we have had quite a few bike thefts. The cozzers have now installed a bait bike, an expensive bike with shitty lock and a GPS tracker. They move it around the campus. It's been stolen (and recovered) 7 times in 3 weeks! 6 people have been arrested and charged including a couple of students. One guy has multiple charges as he stole it twice lol. I guess he hasn't pegged it's a bait bike. 

Brilliant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xblane said:

I also work at a uni, we've had the same (beaten up old) bikes in the same bike rack for close on 3 years

At Melbourne Uni in 1993, there was a bike locked to a fence with a D-Lock around the seatpost. Over a couple of days, everything was stripped from it .... bars... wheels .... derailleurs .... cranks ... HS and forks .... BB, so that all that was left was the frame, post and saddle, dangling from the D-Lock.

Who carries around a BB tool (the old cartridge style) for that purpose???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

At Melbourne Uni in 1993, there was a bike locked to a fence with a D-Lock around the seatpost. Over a couple of days, everything was stripped from it .... bars... wheels .... derailleurs .... cranks ... HS and forks .... BB, so that all that was left was the frame, post and saddle, dangling from the D-Lock.

Who carries around a BB tool (the old cartridge style) for that purpose???

King St and Flinders, this year.🙄

 

88114504-0107-44E4-9B11-B783F61D7E2B.jpeg

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

At Melbourne Uni in 1993, there was a bike locked to a fence with a D-Lock around the seatpost. Over a couple of days, everything was stripped from it .... bars... wheels .... derailleurs .... cranks ... HS and forks .... BB, so that all that was left was the frame, post and saddle, dangling from the D-Lock.

Who carries around a BB tool (the old cartridge style) for that purpose???

I'd still like to find the particular arsehole at Melbourne Uni a few years ago who stole my bloody saddle! Honestly, wasn't a huge amount of fun riding home out of the saddle.

And then there was the girlfriend many years ago who used to carve messages into my aerobar pads when I parked the bike at Melbourne Uni. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

At Melbourne Uni in 1993, there was a bike locked to a fence with a D-Lock around the seatpost. Over a couple of days, everything was stripped from it .... bars... wheels .... derailleurs .... cranks ... HS and forks .... BB, so that all that was left was the frame, post and saddle, dangling from the D-Lock.

Who carries around a BB tool (the old cartridge style) for that purpose???

If they had the tools, why not just remove the saddle/post, leave it hanging, and take the rest? Not such smart people at uni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turts said:

If they had the tools, why not just remove the saddle/post, leave it hanging, and take the rest? Not such smart people at uni

TAFE students would have had the ability to do that. I'm surprised the Uni students could use the tools they did.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2018 at 11:49 PM, altayloraus said:

I'd still like to find the particular arsehole at Melbourne Uni a few years ago who stole my bloody saddle! Honestly, wasn't a huge amount of fun riding home out of the saddle.

And then there was the girlfriend many years ago who used to carve messages into my aerobar pads when I parked the bike at Melbourne Uni. 

Sweet messages of love and adulation I hope...

Or maybe messages imploring you to get up at 3:45 and train harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they were sweet messages.

But she could always outsquat me... First of a long line of girlfriends who were better athletes than me!

As Rimmer can attest, several were VERY good athletes, and me, well, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...