Pete

Garmin VO2max

Most Garmins (and a few others) can give VO2max and the various articles and studies show that it is from around +/-2 to +/- 10% error (say between 1 and 5  mL/kg/min).  I am pretty keen to see how accurate my 935 is. Apparently it gets more accurate the more runs  you do?

Has anyone every done a REAL VO2max test and compared the level with their watches calculations?   If not against a watch, how about the prediction tables? 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Most Garmins (and a few others) can give VO2max and the various articles and studies show that it is from around +/-2 to +/- 10% error (say between 1 and 5  mL/kg/min).  I am pretty keen to see how accurate my 935 is. Apparently it gets more accurate the more runs  you do?

Has anyone every done a REAL VO2max test and compared the level with their watches calculations?   If not against a watch, how about the prediction tables? 

I wouldnt trust what the watch says for VO2 max. 

Yeah, when I was bothering with it, and running and riding my vo2 never got higher then like 46.  I'm sure I was tougher than that ;);)

7 minutes ago, xblane said:

What would one do with a VO2max value?

That's a good point.  I see my 'watch VO2max'  slowly increasing as I regain my fitness, but I could kinda work out that I was getting fitter for myself. But I DO like numbers... :)

• Like 1

Mine has shown me 43, but that was based on 2 x 3km walk/runs, so I'm not too sure about the accuracy. :)

It'd be nice if it could calculate it from something that I actually do, like swimming.

Alright, I won't poopoo the accuracy thing... I'm 1 ml/kg/min from being superior! (is this good boasting?! ;)) 

Just checking out the graphs now... strong correlation between run volume and increasing VO2max. Although, the number of times the optical HR data is less than stellar... 

Vo2 max can be used to predict race times. There is a white paper by first beats who I believe do the physiological side of the garmin watches

https://assets.firstbeat.com/firstbeat/uploads/2017/06/white_paper_VO2max_30.6.2017.pdf

Personally I've never found mine to be that accurate, But maybe I'm just not running hard enough in races

image.png.dc7efbcf9e87e0b9f94f2042da2c646d.png

2 minutes ago, Limited said:

Vo2 max can be used to predict race times. There is a white paper by first beats who I believe do the physiological side of the garmin watches

https://assets.firstbeat.com/firstbeat/uploads/2017/06/white_paper_VO2max_30.6.2017.pdf

Personally I've never found mine to be that accurate, But maybe I'm just not running hard enough in races

image.png.dc7efbcf9e87e0b9f94f2042da2c646d.png

I'd take any of those times in races ....

• Like 1

I was tested at 63ml/min/kg at Vic Uni.

Highest I've had the Garmin is 59ml/min/kg.

Based on my actual times in that table I should be around 54ml/min/kg, I guess I should be faster than I am or I don't like pain.

All values based on running.

Edited by Froudie
  • Like 1

My lab tested VO2 max is 64 - garmin tells me it's 56 for running and 52 for cycling

Mine definitely tracks my fitness and then peaks when I taper... the race prediction times always seem a tad on the optimistic side for me but not miles off. I ran a 2:57 when the prediction was a 2:54, maybe I could have gone faster... 

On 20/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, -H- said:

My lab tested VO2 max is 64 - garmin tells me it's 56 for running and 52 for cycling

It doesn't surprise me you have good results - your race results clearly put you at elite level.

What does surprise me is the difference between tested and measured. If anything I thought the device results might have been a bit inflated to make people feel good :) 

I suppose the other explanation for the different figures is you dug really deep during the lab test - knowing that you were being tested. Great results either way.

Is that a polite way of saying I bludge when nobody is looking? 

You may have a point....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, -H- said:

Is that a polite way of saying I bludge when nobody is looking? 

Polite, yes, let's go with that.

• Haha 1

I helped out with exercise phys students’ exams so volunteered for a VO2 max test as part of their practising a couple of weeks ago. I did it on a bike and my garmin’s bike VO2 max gives me the same number. I was quite surprised at how accurate the Garmin (920XT) is for me... and less surprised at the quantitative expression of just how unfit I currently am!

On 19/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, Limited said:

Vo2 max can be used to predict race times.

Yes, but not all that well. There are a number of variables which determine pace. VO2max is but one of several, including fractional utilisation of VO2max sustainable for different duration and running economy/efficiency. Two people of the same morphology can have the same VO2max yet experience quite different running paces.

On 10/06/2019 at 9:17 PM, Alex Simmons said:

Two people of the same morphology can have the same VO2max yet experience quite different running paces.

Don't underestimate lactate threshold in the equation too.

4 hours ago, BNothling said:

Don't underestimate lactate threshold in the equation too.

That's one of the variables I was referring to, although more precisely, the fractional utilisation of VO2max at threshold. It will be a significator performance factor for all of the durations from 1-mile to a marathon but of course it is not the only factor. Running economy is another and is more predictive of performance than is VO2max, but of course nothing is better at predicting running performance than running.