Peter

I'm not fit enough (Bullshit)

I wonder if some people can understand that there are people out there who only enjoy racing once they are at a certain fitness level.  I'm not suggesting you live by this and I have been known to throw myself into a race for a swift kick in the ass.  But I can fully appreciate not wanting to do a club race when you're not feeling it yet.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, more said:

I definately don't have that problem. I train and do races for fun. I'm under no illusions of what sort of commitment it would take to be competitive so why stress yourself out over it. I rode 70ks today then swam a couple of ks and am now enjoying a few whiskies before the race tomorrow. And I'm happy.

The only person I'm competing against is myself. It's a local clubby FFS, who really cares? 

That's the whole point. We all have our own motivations for participating in the sport.  We are driven by different things.

• Like 1

I'll out myself here.

Whilst not the person Peter is referring to here, this was me all over. When I "made my comeback" I trained for years before I raced, because "I wasn't fit enough". First race back I got 5th out of 100+ in AG in a HIM. Even at that point I wasn't sure I should be racing.

I'd like to say that I can look back at that and say they were idiots, because racing is so much fun, and they should be doing it while they can. Unfortunately I can't. 

We have a Mental Health thread on here. Everyone is so empathetic of the issues people have there. In my opinion, the issues these people have are no different than some of what we talk about on there. I look back at all the races I didn't do because I felt exactly like these folk. In a lot of people's opinions I would have done really well, but not in mine, so I didn't race. I regret that so much now. But I still do exactly the same thing with OWS. I continually knock back doing races because I think I'm not fit enough. I was capable of 31 minutes for 2km, but wouldn't race because I wasn't going to go as well as I would want to. 

Why do we ridicule these people, but have such sympathy for folk that post on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'll out myself here.

Whilst not the person Peter is referring to here, this was me all over. When I "made my comeback" I trained for years before I raced, because "I wasn't fit enough". First race back I got 5th out of 100+ in AG in a HIM. Even at that point I wasn't sure I should be racing.

I'd like to say that I can look back at that and say they were idiots, because racing is so much fun, and they should be doing it while they can. Unfortunately I can't. 

We have a Mental Health thread on here. Everyone is so empathetic of the issues people have there. In my opinion, the issues these people have are no different than some of what we talk about on there. I look back at all the races I didn't do because I felt exactly like these folk. In a lot of people's opinions I would have done really well, but not in mine, so I didn't race. I regret that so much now. But I still do exactly the same thing with OWS. I continually knock back doing races because I think I'm not fit enough. I was capable of 31 minutes for 2km, but wouldn't race because I wasn't going to go as well as I would want to. 

Why do we ridicule these people, but have such sympathy for folk that post on here.

Well said. The same concept of saying one thing or advocating a certain position and then acting the opposite way seems to pop up in a lot of areas in society.

On 16/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, Turts said:

Why do people insist on judging others by their own standards? 

Well,  if you're going to judge someone,  who else's standard can you use?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once again. I have no issues with people not racing. Just don’t use a bullshit excuse. 

Just say you don’t like racing. 

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Once again. I have no issues with people not racing. Just don’t use a bullshit excuse. 

Just say you don’t like racing. 

Did you tell them this to their face? 

18 minutes ago, Turts said:

yes, my own. I've been where some of the others in this thread have been. The fear of failing is so great that you avoid the thing you enjoy, the race. It can be crippling anxiety.

Looked at myself and said nobody cares get out there and enjoy yourself

Edited by BarryBevan

Maybe some people simply have high standards and enjoy winning. Maybe some people love training just as much as racing. Maybe it's more enjoyable to simply cruise out on your bike rather than pack all your kit and bother with the hassles of a 1hr race. Maybe these people can't stand the politics that hang around local tri club races. 😂

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1

Or the opposite, well enough. I did 1 ironman and 3 half ironmans in the last 12 months with Ross river fever. I didn't know. I always felt tired. It will be a long time before I am healthy enough to race. The HB100 is on today. 😰

5 hours ago, Turts said:

Sure did. 

The science behind it (proven yesterday), is:

0.34T x 1.17A x 0.9E x 1.3W = 1.166BP

Where

T = training time

A = age

E = effort

W = wind strength

BP = best performance over that course

i.e. on 34% of your max past weekly training time, 17% older than when you did your best time, putting in 90% effort and with a strong outward bike headwind, you will perform 16.6% slower (1:06:59) than your best ever time (57:45).

The real take home message however it that sprint triathlon is far more enjoyable at 90% than 100% (ignoring when they forget to tell the groundsmen there is a race on at 9am, so don't set the sprinklers, and you return from the bike to find all your gear soaked = the blisters you finally healed open up again like ripe melons on the run). 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I have a headache now CN, and I didn't even read all that!  A slight glance was enough to send me into a spin!!!

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I have a headache now CN, and I didn't even read all that!  A slight glance was enough to send me into a spin!!!

Interpretation Goughy

I've not been physically able to do a race like that for 7yrs 

I was welcomed back and touted as a Sub-1hour Messiah but performed nowhere near my Days of Glory ;)

I enjoyed it more than I recall because I didn't bust a pop-off valve

It also helped that it was a handicap race, I was given a 5min handicap (the fastest bloke a 15min handicap), so I had no idea who was who and where, so just stuck to my intended 90% effort and tried to have fun

And no-one gave a fcuk

....except for my wife's team cos I smoked those sorry muppets by 3mins despite their swimmer putting 70secs into me over 400m :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to the OP, he doesn't care if you race or not. It's annoying to have people talk endlessly about them not racing because of a range of reasons, especially fitness, when they are very fit.

Race, don't race just stop torturing your friends and training people.

It is both attention seeking and insulting to everyone else when individuals who can:

1. Run sub 20 5 K

2. Swim 130 or better

3. Bike around high 30 kmh

Talk about how unfit they are repeatedly, to people who can only dream of those times

What does 'being fit' mean? Fit for purpose? If purpose is to race in this instance, then race fit? If purpose is to complete the course, then fit enough to complete? 

And I know peeps who would consider themselves unfit running 20 min 5km etc. How is it insulting to others to say so? Everyone is different and has different levels of "fitness" - if people are insulted by other people being faster, then they've got issues. Going on and on about how unfit you are, sure, that's 'Tool' behaviour.

Going on and on about how unfit you are, sure, that's 'Tool' behaviour.

Its that bit

And making it all about people talking about themselves and telling them they are good. Which is the while intent of saying I can't race as I'm not fit enough, when they clearly are

But going back to the OP, Peter just says these people said they weren't racing. It doesn't say they are going on about it. For all we know, he may have asked them if they were racing. 

If you asked Pete Jacobs if he was racing & he said no I'm not fit enough, would you dispute it, even though he could probably still out swim/ride/run any of us?

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But going back to the OP, Peter just says these people said they weren't racing. It doesn't say they are going on about it. For all we know, he may have asked them if they were racing. 

If you asked Pete Jacobs if he was racing & he said no I'm not fit enough, would you dispute it, even though he could probably still out swim/ride/run any of us?

It's only out done by the I've done no training