Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Yeppoon half ironman shocking photos

Nick Munting would be turning in his grave. Such a waste of an awesome location. 

916BB00C-1CB8-455F-8B8E-503B870D34EA.png

• Sad 1

I stayed there just after they opened it up to Australians (for the first few years you could only book it from Japan). It was great. I took a drive through the place earlier this year when we were up there and couldn't believe the desolation.

• Sad 1

Guest FFF1077

Holy crap 

Sad to see 

What a waste of a good buffet 

Edited by FFF1077
Details

The resort was TIRED - it was past it's "use by date" - in it's day the Yeppoon races were great events - we would train for it each year but resorts "wear out" and who is going to invest millions into refurbishing a tired resort which has to compete with Hamilton Island where you can fly into it from any capital city - it's had it's day 😏

Guest FFF1077
6 minutes ago, AP said:

The resort was TIRED - it was past it's "use by date" - in it's day the Yeppoon races were great events - we would train for it each year but resorts "wear out" and who is going to invest millions into refurbishing a tired resort which has to compete with Hamilton Island where you can fly into it from any capital city - it's had it's day 😏

Yeah 

But the buffet..... How good was it!?! 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Nick Munting would be turning in his grave. Such a waste of an awesome location. 

916BB00C-1CB8-455F-8B8E-503B870D34EA.png

This is a shame as I really enjoyed travelling up to Yeppoon for that race on several occasions.

What I also find appalling is the low standard of spelling, grammar and punctuation in the media these days. There are six obvious errors in the above two captions. I watch a bit of BBC TV these days, which I assumed would be of high standard, but they can't even get their glyphs and capitalisation right in simple captions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Customer said:

This is a shame as I really enjoyed travelling up to Yeppoon for that race on several occasions.

What I also find appalling is the low standard of spelling, grammar and punctuation in the media these days. There are six obvious errors in the above two captions. I watch a bit of BBC TV these days, which I assumed would be of high standard, but they can't even get their glyphs and capitalisation right in simple captions.

:lol:  It's difficult to see a dictionary when your tongue is up Corbyn's ass.

• Like 1

ewwwwww

You'd think they'd find a dictionary in all those bloody antique shops that every second show is based around.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Customer said:

ewwwwww

You'd think they'd find a dictionary in all those bloody antique shops that every second show is based around.

:lol:

13 hours ago, AP said:

Every resort gets tired. The one you compare it with - Hamilton Island - is a classic case. Ditto Haymen Island and for Sydney folk - the Fairmont and Hydro Majestic are also good examples of what happens when a resort is let to run down. If it wasn’t for the Oatley Family investing a billion and change into Hamilton over the past 15 years it would be as sorry as Yeppoon. Similarly investors have recently returned the Fairmont and Hydro to their former glory.

Personally I think that Yeppoon could rise again. It actually has good transport connections - or at least potential - via Rockhampton. The resort estate has good bones and it is close to the southern reef - which has better long term tourist prospects than the middle and northern reef because of climate change. It just needs an angel investor with a lazy billion or so to spend (not named Clive Palmer, lol). Competing with Hamilton would be very doable, given how expensive everything is on Hamilton (and it is also at near capacity for most of the year). 

Edited by Andrew #1

It just needs an angel investor with a lazy billion or so to spend

That would be as likely to happen as an Imam outing his terrorists - the money needed to make that place viable again would be better spent in south east Asia or on Nauru (it'll be empty soon when all the present residents move to Melbourne ) 😉

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, AP said:

That would be as likely to happen as an Imam outing his terrorists - the money needed to make that place viable again would be better spent in south east Asia or on Nauru (it'll be empty soon when all the present residents move to Melbourne ) 😉

Except for the fact that without thinking too deeply about the topic I’ve quickly identified four properties where that has happened already, you are correct. ... It goes without saying that the Yeppoon estate has a lot more to offer than anything on Nauru. It doesn’t compete with south-East Asia for tourism and it would have to be one of the last remaining jewels in Queensland for investment opportunities. Right now western Sydney are packing Chinese tourists into some pretty second rate options in places like Liverpool. I’d say flying from China directly to Rockhampton for a package holiday would be very attractive for the Golden Horde. 

trust me, a nice evening stroll along the banks of the fitzroy river in Rocky isn't advisable unless you can handle yourself...

1 hour ago, Gregor_McBoob said:

Moving the half to the sunny coast rimmed that joint.

Pity, was a bucket lister I never ticked off. 

It was a good race. Staying there with all your mates was great. 

The course was good.

mind you, this was the course where AP used to cut off parts because he couldn’t be bothered running the actual course. 

Got my first ever win in Yepoon. I love the place. :)

Mind you, I've never seen anybody ride past me as quick as Byron Tucker did that day.

I loved racing there. So did Pinkboy. I had this sick fetish in my day running past The Grinch wearing my sluggos..😂

23 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

It just needs an angel investor with a lazy billion or so to spend 

Well, Roxii did just sell Trannies and must have some petty cash lying around, and he has been talking about a move to Qld...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Well, Roxii did just sell Trannies and must have some petty cash lying around, and he has been talking about a move to Qld...

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

6 hours ago, The Customer said:

Correction: The Grinch never wore your sluggos.

I know. I was too shy to ask her out 😰

11 hours ago, The Customer said:

Correction: The Grinch never wore your sluggos.

Oh come on. You wore them as a victory hat the morning after the big event ...

• Haha 1

On 15/11/2018 at 6:59 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Is AP still in the landscaping and renos game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1