MissJess

Big Husky 2019

I didn't hit anything (that I noticed), just went *crack*

I have a mate bringing a training wheel and I'm having it looked at, the mechanic wasnt all too optimistic. 

It's a 10spd 60mm. Would prefer something other than a training wheel, but beggars can't be choosers ;)

I have a 50 mm, allow brake track, 10 speed, Shimano cassette. Got me through 3 Ironmans. That said - it would not be quicker than BogFrogs option. 

• Like 1

Ah, all the options. Thanks guys. 

I guess I'll wait for the mechanic to get back to me. 

BogFrog, happy to be my plan B? Bosco plan C?

• Like 2

Thats aweome! 

I was getting my gear ready at the cabin tonight and realised I left my chamois cream at home - has anyone used bodyglide on the undercarriage before??

Yes. It works just as well if not better. Just has a little ick factor if you ever want to use it again in the "normal" places 😄

xblane - I'm not stalking you! Honest!

Funny story - was standing at transition waiting for Mr BogFrog to come through and happened to be standing right beside his mini cheer squad who had just told me that one of her friends has gone out for a training ride and broke a spoke - he looked happy (if not a little confused)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Good to see PJ finish a race.

DId he? I wasn’t expecting that, he looked a long way off the pace on the Bike (when he sucked my back wheel for 24 of his allowed 25 seconds on the way by) but I didn’t see him in the run. Saw Crowie and Skipper.

How was it down there? 

First time I haven’t been there in years but I bumped into someone this afternoon who said it was a bit underwhelming and numbers seemed lower than expected. 

Is that the case? 

I hope not as it’s a big weekend for NSW triathlon. 

I had a great weekend, first time I have bought the family and they were raving about the vibe around the place, and how good it was to have the beach, village with playgrounds and the shops (especially the ice cream) all in one spot. And they saw me multiple times in each lap while roaming around.

I love Husky. 

• Like 1

Roxii, numbers appeared to be lower than last year, I usually see road and grass transition full. But that might be the RDs call and they might have limited entries?

One thing we did notice was that there seemed to be some animosity to our presence. On the road out from transition a couple of people reported some spray painting of a bike and a "chalk style" outline, I think I might have been too focused to see that one, I did notice two at one of the corners of Woolamia Rd at one of the intersections. I was talking to the RD and was told that someone had put oil on the road overnight, it appeared deliberate, the road crew cleaned it up, but there were still a number of spills in the super sprint before that.

Honestly I am not sure what the big problem is, we injected at least $400 between the two of us for accommodation, food and booze. There were plenty of my friends that spent much more.

1 hour ago, prizna said:

Anyone know Laura Dennis?

Brissie girl. Had a couple of long term injuries in recent years.

On 23/02/2019 at 8:52 PM, The new guy said:

Thats aweome! 

I was getting my gear ready at the cabin tonight and realised I left my chamois cream at home - has anyone used bodyglide on the undercarriage before??

What is chamois cream. Do you put it on your bike pants chamois or......?

Body glide I know what it is but never used. Undercarriage?.. Arm pits?

Am curious..... 30 years in this sport and never had to use these. Educate me!

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

What is chamois cream. Do you put it on your bike pants chamois or......?

Body glide I know what it is but never used. Undercarriage?.. Arm pits?

Am curious..... 30 years in this sport and never had to use these. Educate me!

If you have been riding for 30 years without this then you sir have callused sit bones and don’t require this product!

Chamois cream - that hasn’t been a real thing since actual chamois hide stopped being used ... about 30 years ago. I once had a pair of authentic woollen cycling nicks with genuine leather insert that I brought with said cream from Clarence St Cycles back in 1987 ... 

For ‘wet and dry’ races, like a triathlon I’ve always used Vaseline as a brotective chaffing layer on the undercarriage and across the chest, shoulders, and underarms. It tends to turn my white trisuits grey but other than that, it works 100%

As. Swimmer, i for one thought it was a good initiative of Emo, to turn the advertised 1.9km into a 2.5km swim leg. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, AA7 said:

Brissie girl. Had a couple of long term injuries in recent years.

That might explain her bullshit level of drafting yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

As. Swimmer, i for one thought it was a good initiative of Emo, to turn the advertised 1.9km into a 2.5km swim leg. 

I was scrolling through strava last night... 2.3k, 2.4k, 2.5k - one of my friends reckons he borrowed the measuring tape his apprentice uses 🤣 the sprint was around 860m the day before.

Same happened at Foster for my first long course 2k turned into 2.5k or so.

13 hours ago, MissJess said:

Roxii, numbers appeared to be lower than last year, I usually see road and grass transition full. But that might be the RDs call and they might have limited entries?

One thing we did notice was that there seemed to be some animosity to our presence. On the road out from transition a couple of people reported some spray painting of a bike and a "chalk style" outline, I think I might have been too focused to see that one, I did notice two at one of the corners of Woolamia Rd at one of the intersections. I was talking to the RD and was told that someone had put oil on the road overnight, it appeared deliberate, the road crew cleaned it up, but there were still a number of spills in the super sprint before that.

Honestly I am not sure what the big problem is, we injected at least $400 between the two of us for accommodation, food and booze. There were plenty of my friends that spent much more.

Thanks for the shout out :)

the EE team has some work to do with community education around the cash benefits of the weekend for the shoalhaven community

3 minutes ago, prizna said:

Looks like you put together a pretty solid race there mate. 

The thing is with any provider that is not in the business of food, booze or beds is not likely to see an uptick in business.

Also, those whos job is not for any of the above (or their families) will probably not like the disruption (same thing happened with the World Rally Championship in Coffs).

I was directing on a part of the run course yesterday and had a number of grumpy faces who were delayed for a minute or two while they waited for the aqua bike competitors to cross to get to the finish chute. 

1 hour ago, prizna said:

That she was injured or that she's from Brissie?

2 hours ago, MissJess said:

I was directing on a part of the run course yesterday and had a number of grumpy faces who were delayed for a minute or two while they waited for the aqua bike competitors to cross to get to the finish chute. 

You could have given all of the $100 each and they still would have been unhappy.

People will just complain.

There is a coffee war on at the moment near my building and you can get a small coffee for $2 today and any of about 5 shops.  There was a guy in front of me that was complaining that the large is still $4.50 yet the small is $2.

The deal is only on smalls.  FFS the guy could just get 2 smalls but was complaining. 

My impression on te day was that most people wecamenj to contact with were quite supportive. My wife and kids had a great chat with a coffee shop owner while I was setting up transition, so when that he race started she took the family there for breaky, and did a social shout out thanking them.

on the Bike course there were groups of locals in cars held up behind riders, and I saw nothing but patience from them. I made a point to say thankyou every time I passed a car that was held up.

i know it’s only for a few days a year, but it must really be a pin in the arse to quadruple your travel time. I think they were very understanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prizna said:

Was she following you? I remember thinking at the time " that bloke must be pacing her" she was only a wheels length off the back of who ever she was drafting.

3 hours ago, roxii said:

Looks like you put together a pretty solid race there mate. 

Yeh was good, I managed to have quickest swim, 2nd bike, 2nd run yet got third. My ag winner threw down a 2:10 bike and second ran a 1:18. I couldn't do those numbers at standalone events haha

23 minutes ago, Limited said:

Was she following you? I remember thinking at the time " that bloke must be pacing her" she was only a wheels length off the back of who ever she was drafting.

Nah not following me it would've been one of the male pros. I closed a good chunk on the swim and then we rode pretty similar times so just kept seeing them in the out and backs.

• Like 2

Hey Trannies, Thanks for all those that attended and took interest across the weekend it was a BIG ONE.

Numbers this year were actually BIG (over 4300 before taking into account the on the day entries (which is significant, particularly with the swims and runs) it indicates that if it was not the biggest event ever, it certainly was top 3 (and we are only talking the difference of maybe 200 people).

The difference this year was where the Saturday numbers (namely the sprint) were down a little. These numbers were more than replaced with the Sunday numbers growing significantly. (close to 25% up on last year thanks to the introduction of the classic distance). So maybe just a more of an even split across the two days rather than the huge day on the Saturday.

Cheers

Seb 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, prizna said:

the EE team has some work to do with community education around the cash benefits of the weekend for the shoalhaven community

The cash benefit for the community - how’s that actually work.... guess if you ask the accom providers what normal occupancy is on a weekend in February  v sell out, you would see what the injection potentially is but it’s not a zero to 100 thing and day trippers won’t go in with the road closures. 

Really think need to look at this like cyclists on the road, it’s a share thing v’s aren’t we good, we just cash injected a few shops and accom providers but stuffed the weekend for any locals that are not into triathlon.  Tolerance is the key for everyone.   Wonder how much accom is owned by out of towners as well that make money but it doesn’t go back into the town.  Just keeping it real, it’s a great weekend and hope it thrives for years to come.

The people’s champ looked cool finishing, thank god TA went away from zippergate or he would have been DQ’d and not got the result. 

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

The cash benefit for the community - how’s that actually work.... guess if you ask the accom providers what normal occupancy is on a weekend in February  v sell out, you would see what the injection potentially is but it’s not a zero to 100 thing and day trippers won’t go in with the road closures. 

Really think need to look at this like cyclists on the road, it’s a share thing v’s aren’t we good, we just cash injected a few shops and accom providers but stuffed the weekend for any locals that are not into triathlon.  Tolerance is the key for everyone.   Wonder how much accom is owned by out of towners as well that make money but it doesn’t go back into the town.  Just keeping it real, it’s a great weekend and hope it thrives for years to come.

The people’s champ looked cool finishing, thank god TA went away from zippergate or he would have been DQ’d and not got the result. 

I agree 100%. 

We should be thankful we we are able to have public roads closed for 2 days to enable us to indulge in our pastimes rather than think the town should be thankful for having us visit.

And I’m glad you mentioned Crowies suit, I saw him in the run with the chest out and wondered if he would get a penalty - I didn’t realise TA weren’t penalising that.

You are younger than I expected Prizna - well done, a bloody fast podium that one. 

Yep - she was the worst I saw as well. I generally felt everyone did their best in some congestion, especially that last lap. 

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

was the bike turn around out by 4 K

Yeah I only measured just under 86km. Made up for the swim which I measured at 2.3km

was a good weekend even if I had a bad race. Didn’t do enough work in the lead up and cramped badly in both quads about 2kms into the run. From then on it was a mix of run and walk for a 5:50 total 

Edited by Limited

Another great weekend. While I heard a couple of locals mouth off, there were fewer annoyed looking people in cars and plenty of good chats with locals, so I think overall we'll be still welcome back. The weird painted cyclist falling off drawings on the road... I don't know, but well-drawn so perhaps more art than angst?

A quick look at finisher numbers from the results website shows a reduction in sprint number more than made up for by new classic-distance people. 2018: sprint 1376 + ultimate 530 = 1906, 2019: sprint 1143 + classic 350 + ultimate 486 = 1979

I liked the new bike course, lets talk instead about that fkn long swim.

• Like 1

The sprint race was always going to be down on numbers this year - last year was a qualifier race for the world champs on the Gold Coast: the numbers were insane.

• Like 1

I’m glad everyone measured that swim course long - I was worried I was further off the pace than expected.

In hindsight, given it was a long course I’m pretty happy with my swim pace😂

2 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

The sprint race was always going to be down on numbers this year - last year was a qualifier race for the world champs on the Gold Coast: the numbers were insane.

I think as well people are looking value for money as well as good racing, and the sprint has got expensive when  compared to the longer stuff,  and the good athletes, ie crowie, maxwell,  tend to be in the long stuff so it’s more competitive and fulfilling. And that’s not to take anything away from the short stuff, that’s still good for people that bodies don’t enable them to do the long stuff.

Speaking of which, how did the aqua bike thing go, or do most that can no longer race / train for the harder stuff just do the sprint ?   

10 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I think as well people are looking value for money as well as good racing, and the sprint has got expensive when  compared to the longer stuff,  and the good athletes, ie crowie, maxwell,  tend to be in the long stuff so it’s more competitive and fulfilling. And that’s not to take anything away from the short stuff, that’s still good for people that bodies don’t enable them to do the long stuff.

Speaking of which, how did the aqua bike thing go, or do most that can no longer race / train for the harder stuff just do the sprint ?   

I love the aquabike. I could “fake it” on 1 swim a week and 2-3 indoor trainer sessions on the kickr (and about 1 run a week as well). There: I’m an Aquabiker (and proud of it)!

On a related note: Sebee- if you are still reading this thread, can I make a suggestion or another Sunday race? I call it the “Ultimate 100”: 1.2/90/8.1 - another option in between the classic (which you could rebrand as the “Ultimate 71”) and the half IM distance race. Maybe add in another Aquabike wave to the end of the classic race. 

Edited by Andrew #1

Depends on the training for the "harder stuff" some are no longer able to run, or have been sidelined by their physio temporarily.

I did the little Husky aquabike as I was sidelined by the osteopath temporarily, those people are no slouches either, they took off in the swim, I was left alone, lucky its only dolphins out there, so I got mocked instead of eaten 🤣

Need to have a look at the transition exit for the aquabike, they have to cross over from the road transition to the path to run to the finish line, some people thought that the chute for them was a great place to walk 😂 might be best to put them all into the grass transition. We also had a small number of ultimate guys on the grass transition, so there was a bit of confusion about where their run exit was. 

• Like 1

https://www.southcoastregister.com.au/story/5817925/new-course-proposed-for-husky-triathlon/

According to the Shoalhaven Councils Economic Benefit Report (generated through REMPLAN), the event held at the end of February each year, has an estimated economic benefit to the Shoalhaven area in excess of $3,000,000 annually. 

The event, which also creates jobs via local labourers, last year donated more than of $25,000 to volunteer groups and continues to pioneer the benefits of living a healthy lifestyle – a program the Shoalhaven Council have targeted as a key objective in last year’s annual plan towards combating growing rates of obesity and other health issues in the region.  

On 28/02/2019 at 9:15 AM, MissJess said:

This was shared on a friends facebook page...

https://www.2st.com.au/news/shoalhaven-news/131960-time-for-another-location

Ok Shoalhaven Mayor, guess my AirBNB hosts will not see me back (and they want to see us back there next year). 

Oh FFS...skiimmed that article..and it's the typical locals that get slowed down for 5 minutes going to church on a Sunday....

Haven't done a tri in many years however husky was always one of my favourites...

On 26/02/2019 at 7:54 AM, Andrew #1 said:

I love the aquabike. I could “fake it” on 1 swim a week and 2-3 indoor trainer sessions on the kickr (and about 1 run a week as well). There: I’m an Aquabiker (and proud of it)!

On a related note: Sebee- if you are still reading this thread, can I make a suggestion or another Sunday race? I call it the “Ultimate 100”: 1.2/90/8.1 - another option in between the classic (which you could rebrand as the “Ultimate 71”) and the half IM distance race. Maybe add in another Aquabike wave to the end of the classic race. 

Thanks Andrew, Always looking for feedback and race suggestions, will toss your ideas around with the crew, particularly the aquabike in the shorter sunday event. 

4 hours ago, Sebee said:

Thanks Andrew, Always looking for feedback and race suggestions, will toss your ideas around with the crew, particularly the aquabike in the shorter sunday event. 

I reckon holding the aquabike in conjunction with the shorter event and the Ultimate100 with the HIM could be a very feasible to bump up numbers dramatically ...

• Like 2

No more numbers at same time on bike course please - third lap of Ultimate was too congested with classic riders hitting course at same time.