MissJess

Big Husky 2019

When can we start a big husky thread?

Prizna - I guess we can now, as most of the keen folk have already booked their digs for the weekend (and when I did last month, there was almost nothing affordable!)

I'm in, Scotty and I will be there - we are staying in Vincentia. Arriving Friday and leaving Monday.

Race plan is sprint distance for me and enticer for Scotty on the Saturday and maybe the swim or bike for a team on Sunday, if you want to make up a team let me know.

Big husky weekend is no doubt one of my favourites.

I'll be doing Friday swim, Saturday sprint and Sunday long course. So no team for me.

I am keen to see the new bike course though!

• Like 2

I loved Husky last year, went down for a Worlds sprint qualifier. Just saw the 50% off entry fee email and pick up and drop off from airport. Tempting.

59 minutes ago, xblane said:

😮 Oh no. 4 turns x 3 laps! I've got to get off my trainer and learn how to turn.

I spent 6 months exclusively on the trainer leading into busso, rode off the road and nearly ate shit on a turnaround. Guys behind me were shaking their heads

Edited by prizna
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I loved Husky last year, went down for a Worlds sprint qualifier. Just saw the 50% off entry fee email and pick up and drop off from airport. Tempting.

It's a cracking weekend. Its best described as 'noosa without the wank'

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, prizna said:

I spent 6 months exclusively on the trainer leading into busso, 

Do you reckon that 6 months on the trainer made you a stronger cyclist?  than say if you did some road rides as well as trainer rides like  a "normal" build would incorporate

3 hours ago, prizna said:

It's a cracking weekend. Its best described as 'noosa without the wank'

Can someone smooth out the roads though please. 90k on that bumpy stuff is not my idea of fun.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Can someone smooth out the roads though please. 90k on that bumpy stuff is not my idea of fun.

The new road past the shopping centre near Vincentia is awesome.  I'm guessing the new turnaround is just before that?

12 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Great wanker triathletes invading my south coast ..😂😂

might even come up  and watch 😁

Don't forget your bike and runners, ya big wuss ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The new guy said:

Why would I not have this email - Im on the mailing list?

I didn't get it either and just entered at full price! Feeling a bit unloved tbh!

22 hours ago, KieranR said:

Do you reckon that 6 months on the trainer made you a stronger cyclist?  than say if you did some road rides as well as trainer rides like  a "normal" build would incorporate

Stronger, no. Specificity in training was valuable though, race day ride was essentially just a repeat of so many Saturdays prior. I can't speak highly enough of how comfortable I was in the last 60km of that bike leg. Whether that's cause I finally paced correctly or I was just adapted to trainer/busso style riding I don't know....

How's the training going? What race(s) are you doing? Goals for your race?

It'll be my 4th go at the Long Course after missing out in 2018. With the new course, the goal is to run well, which historically for me is anything under 6:00min/km. Aiming to do 10-20s/km quicker though after a decent run volume in the back half of 2018.

43 sleeps!

Entered the 1.9/90/21.1 option but I’m way behind where I need to be. Will likely pike out and switch to the 1/60/10 option.

• Like 1

Back for the long course after a year off.  Ocean swim on Friday night, and tossing up whether to have a crack at the sprint as well although it starts later on the Saturday now

• Like 2

I live in the central coast, last year I drove down Saturday morning, went to the event for rego Saturday afternoon. Stayed at a motor inn in Nowra, $110 a night. Drove home Sunday arvo, had a cracking time. I’ll be doing similar this year.

There are options outside of Husky.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Agree

Its as much the accomodation as anything. Challenge Melbourne easy to get to loads of better value places to stay

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The new guy said:

I live in the central coast, last year I drove down Saturday morning, went to the event for rego Saturday afternoon. Stayed at a motor inn in Nowra, $110 a night. Drove home Sunday arvo, had a cracking time. I’ll be doing similar this year.

There are options outside of Husky.

was it easy to park on the sunday morning

Yep, I headed in early to make sure I was waiting for transition to open, parked in a side road leading into to town to make sure I could get out easy as well. 5 min walk to transition.

• Like 1

Did Huski today, slightly different event though 

5A125781-2B06-4D8A-BE74-DC8698DA0A1B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

And to rub it in the locals are complaining about the heat as it’s ONLY -8 here during the day. 

On 13/01/2019 at 9:06 AM, BarryBevan said:

was it easy to park on the sunday morning

I’ve been down there a lot. We have a caravan at Gerroa which is about a 40 minute drive to Huski but it means it costs me nothing. If you get there early parking is easy. 

If you get a good spot it usually means you can get away early too if you need to. 

9 hours ago, pieman said:

PJ might be making his comeback here.  Go you good thing!!

Who?

10 hours ago, pieman said:

PJ might be making his comeback here.  Go you good thing!!

Will definately be there supporting his missus. 

Hope he has a fun race

For the Pro Buffs... currently we have PJ and Crowie both confirmed for an old school battle. Kieran Roche returning to defend his tittle. Caroline Stefan in the Woman's plus a number (about 10 more pro's) that on the cusp of signing on oh and some guy called Seb in the teams :P    

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sebee said:

some guy called Seb in the teams :P    

I would say toughen up but last time you spotted me racing I was doing a team sprint... ;)

2 hours ago, sglowz said:

Any info on the new course? Looks like the course previously put on facebook is not on the website. 

Might not have been approved. 

This is how rumours are started...

But I did notice the course want on the web site... @Sebee?

Does anyone know what the on course nutrition will be? And what they will have at the run aid stations. Can't find an athletes guide on the website

On 04/02/2019 at 10:21 AM, Limited said:

Does anyone know what the on course nutrition will be? And what they will have at the run aid stations. Can't find an athletes guide on the website

Powerade and SIS gels

Edited by xblane
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Powerade? Seriously?

Powerade on run and recovery at EE's Canberra. 

15 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Powerade? Seriously?

Gotta take what you can get... Not different to Gatorade being at a lot of the major US races now. 

On 10/02/2019 at 1:20 PM, willie said:

Gotta take what you can get... Not different to Gatorade being at a lot of the major US races now. 

Fair enough. I’ll start with 2 biddons of Endura and water in the shiv fuel cell. That, my own gel selection and an additional water biddon or two will do me. Given my next to zero run training regime over Sydney’s extended heat wave, I’ve switched over to the aqua bike, so I’m sure I can make the 100M run to the finish line if I can endure 3 laps of that new bike course. ...