monkie

No medals for teams :-(

Today I took my work gang down to Kurnell where we entered two teams into the sprint relay. A fun day out. We ended up with a men's team and a mixed team. We thought the men might have a chance because our cyclist is not too shabby and I can tootle along OK for a 5k (although actually put in a pretty sub par performance).

In the end we came first by about 30 seconds (1/7 but never disclose the field size when bragging about a podium). Happy dayz, lots of fun and celebrating, genuine excitement from colleagues.

I suggested we stayed for the presentation ceremony to get medals and grab a podium photo. Somebody mentioned they thought teams didn't get medals... so we went to investigate. First to registration where 1 person said yes, 1 person said no. So I set off to the results tent and asked there, the chap didn't know so pointed me towards Emo. I went and asked he said yes, then he asked if I won and I said yes and he told me I should definitely stay to get the bling. All good, happy days, the boss himself had confirmed it.

So I told my colleagues that we should stay around, get medals, grab some photos to boast about on Slack etc. The ceremony started in 50 minutes so we waited for that... then listened to the extensive pre-amble and then sat through the presentations of everybody (no problem with this but to people not used to the process, it's quite long). Then we get to our bit and we get "And before we move on to the super-sprint let's just say well done to the teams out today who did rather well, second place, mumble mumble, first place mumuble Decoded. Onto the super-sprint...." 

So no medals (meh, I've got enough but the others were keen) but more importantly not even a decent mention etc. So I had persuaded everybody to wait around for about 90 minutes more than we should have to have a mumbled mention that felt worse than nothing at all.

By this point everybody was quite tired and hungry and it all felt like a bit of an anti-climax. If there's no medals for teams then fine, I understand it's not the same as doing the whole thing but it would have been great if the four people we asked (including the RD) could have told us that... And if there are no medals then at least a quick photo op would be nice.

Well, that's rather a long whinge but it made me look a bit daft and because of the tirenedness and hangry grumpiness by the time we got back to a colleagues for a BBQ it shut down the rest of the day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

They used to when Nick was running it. A long time ago I did the bike for a couple of guys from work (their first tri experience) and came third - got a pretty nice medal - the location of which is unknown to me.

A couple of years ago at Calalla I snagged AG  2nd in an event and during the preso was told there was some issue (it was a stupid crazy rainy day - the bike was cancelled) ant they'd mail them out. For a micro-second it bugged me it never arrived but then I figured it would have just sat in a drawer anyway. I wanted to give it to my young bloke who sat in the rain and watched. It would have sat in his drawer too.

Point is, we do it for fun not the plastic trophies. I'm sure you/they'll get over it.

55 minutes ago, trinube said:

Point is, we do it for fun not the plastic trophies. I'm sure you/they'll get over it.

Yep. Like I said, it wasn't getting the actual medal that mattered. It was the total waste of time because we were told something would happen that then didn't and the way the teams were totally glossed over meant that the newbies I was with were disappointed.

4 hours ago, monkie said:

Yep. Like I said, it wasn't getting the actual medal that mattered. It was the total waste of time because we were told something would happen that then didn't and the way the teams were totally glossed over meant that the newbies I was with were disappointed.

For newbies this can turn them off coming back because it can send a  message that participating isnt good enough, you need to win to be recognised

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

For newbies this can turn them off coming back because it can send a  message that participating isnt good enough, you need to win to be recognised

Nothing wrong with that message. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mhvh said:

Nothing wrong with that message. 

Exactly. That's generally how life works. I hate this 'every child gets a prize' thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

But the winner didn't get recognised. :)

29 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Exactly. That's generally how life works. I hate this 'every child gets a prize' thing.

Me too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

I agree. What Im  saying here is that the winning teams should be recognised 

It's not just teams or Kurnell these days. ITU are just as bad.

I won my AG in one of their events and all I got was entry into the following years event. I don't want a shitty medal or plastic trophy, they end up in the junk bin the shed anyway. But there were plenty of good quality event cycling jerseys that they were selling - that would have been of some use at least.

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I agree. What Im  saying here is that the winning teams should be recognised 

That's true.  Just not how it came across -

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

it can send a  message that participating isnt good enough, you need to win to be recognised

According to the race info page there were supposed to be medals for teams.

Male, Female & Mixed teams will be recognised on the podium and then we have ‘Race Ya Mate’ which has no podium prizes.

12 minutes ago, MissJess said:

According to the race info page there were supposed to be medals for teams.

Ok. Now I'm doubly miffed!

The symbol of achievement, has value and meaning for many of the participants. People getting that token are not deluded into thinking they won the race.

Every participant met some goal, to even be there. They paid for that token in their entry. Many won't care. Little kids love wearing them. 

If RD don't offer them, no issue. When they are part of the offer they should be produced.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

The symbol of achievement, has value and meaning for many of the participants. People getting that token are not deluded into thinking they won the race.

Every participant met some goal, to even be there. They paid for that token in their entry. Many won't care. Little kids love wearing them. 

If RD don't offer them, no issue. When they are part of the offer they should be produced.

Totally agree. Also, we won ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Emo said:

Howdy all, Emo here, Race Director for Kurnell and CEO of Elite Energy. I must apologize for this and not really sure why it has happened. I was notified on a private FB post and feel quite bad as Elite Energy always has medals for 1st, 2nd & 3rd Individuals and Teams. So if you could email me your details I will post the medals to the teams and also send you a 100% FREE entry for your team to the next Kurnell and if all goes well, you will again win medals and I will ensure you are recognized. So so sorry emo@eliteenergy.com.au

Good job mate, that was easy compared to keeping Irene happy!   :lol:  

Back to the OP, I had a similar experience.

The weekend before Cairns IM, I convinced the other half to do the sprint in a team with me.   Given he is in no way athletically inclined or interested, it was a push.

But he loved it.  We won our team division, so I convinced him to hand around for presos.  We sat through the whole lot, and then when it came to the sprint race, they did all the divisions AND NEVER EVEN MENTIONED THE TEAMS.

Gutted for him.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Emo said:

Howdy all, Emo here, Race Director for Kurnell and CEO of Elite Energy. I must apologize for this and not really sure why it has happened. I was notified on a private FB post and feel quite bad as Elite Energy always has medals for 1st, 2nd & 3rd Individuals and Teams. So if you could email me your details I will post the medals to the teams and also send you a 100% FREE entry for your team to the next Kurnell and if all goes well, you will again win medals and I will ensure you are recognized. So so sorry emo@eliteenergy.com.au

Thanks Emo. I'll drop you a note, I'm sure the gang will be pleased to get the medal and the free entry is great and the perfect response.

Thank you for taking the time to sort.

Chris

The only time I have been disappointed was in a duathlon earlier this year. It was 5/20/5 and it was 0C in Feb.  A decent field size for one of these but different distances, so you weren't always sure where you were.

I ran and rode my effin nuts off and was pleased with my time. My sister was watching and when I finished they give you this ticket with your splits on etc. I didn't take much notice and gave it to her to look at and we headed over to coffee van which was near the presso table.

My sister says 'hey, you came second in your division', which was a surprise.  Turns out there were only two AGs, over 40 and under 40.  There were a truck load of big ass trophies on the table and we thought I might get one.

Turns out, first M/F over 40 only went to the winners. 

The coffee was nice though. 😎

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

The only time I have been disappointed was in a duathlon earlier this year. It was 5/20/5 and it was 0C in Feb.  A decent field size for one of these but different distances, so you weren't always sure where you were.

I ran and rode my effin nuts off and was pleased with my time. My sister was watching and when I finished they give you this ticket with your splits on etc. I didn't take much notice and gave it to her to look at and we headed over to coffee van which was near the presso table.

My sister says 'hey, you came second in your division', which was a surprise.  Turns out there were only two AGs, over 40 and under 40.  There were a truck load of big ass trophies on the table and we thought I might get one.

Turns out, first M/F over 40 only went to the winners. 

The coffee was nice though. 😎

Ill find a medal for you as well Pom. Miss ya mate

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emo said:

Ill find a medal for you as well Pom. Miss ya mate

That's ok mate, it was in the UK at Eton Dorney. Plus it was a Human Race event and with the prices they charge, I was expecting a crown and a limo ride home. :lol:

Missed you at LCW this year. It was hot  (proper hot, not Pommie hot!)

Edited by FatPom

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

That's ok mate, it was in the UK at Eton Dorney. Plus it was a Human Race event and with the prices they charge, I was expecting a crown and a limo ride home. :lol:

My marquee company in the UK do their tents.... I'll have a word ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, monkie said:

My marquee company in the UK do their tents.... I'll have a word ;)

Great event but £50 for 5/20/5 winter du, ouch!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, FatPom said:

Great event but £50 for 5/20/5 winter du, ouch!

Blame the crazy cost of hiring all those marquees ..........

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Blame the crazy cost of hiring all those marquees ..........

Yeah it’s in-tents. :lol:

• Haha 1

What is their inTent of these high prices? 

Good outcome here. I was in the winning men's team at WS 70.3 and we got plaques and everything, it was a little embarrassing as we were well and truly beaten by mixed teams 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Jumpy castles are worse. 

They really should be pegged against inflation 

That would be a real let down.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Ah, stop showing off! 😜

If I really wanted to show off, I could've said that was just for the first few years of racing. Otherwise it would be several boxes 😁

• Haha 1

I have my medals and trophies in a box in the garage. When we have family games nights, we use them as awards per game. It gets really heavy after a while when you play up to a dozen games. Trophies are for the end of night.

After every game, we also get the loser to run around the table three times with my wife's fitbit. It gets her numbers up.

FM

17 minutes ago, AA7 said:

If I really wanted to show off, I could've said that was just for the first few years of racing. Otherwise it would be several boxes 😁

Thank God you didn't 😉