AA7

Sad news from Noosa Tri

A competitor has died after collapsing at Noosa on the weekend. Son of Ann Palmer who is very well known in the triathlon community. 

IMG_20181109_193637.png

• Sad 3

Something happened on the bike

Edited by James
U

Sam Horan from Brisbane, 

#592 in Clydesdale (90-99) cat, swam 25:40 then DNF after a heart attack on the bike leg.

Battled on for a week at SCUH before losing his fight on Friday when life support was turned off..

No News from IM

Unfortunately it happens... endurance sports can bring on cardiac incidents. For some events it can actually be the best place for it to happen... I know that the treatment you get if you arrest at the London Marathon finish line is significantly better than you would get anywhere else except in an ITU (i.e. immediate CPR, defibrillation within 60 seconds and advanced care within 3 minutes, I know we've measured it for real a couple of times) but out on a bike leg it's much harder to ensure the chain of survival remains intact. That said, even with a perfect chain survival of out of hospital arrest is rare. I don't know exactly what happened here whether it was a heart attack or an arrest (the two terms are often conflated) but I'm sure everybody involved did their best in what are tricky circumstances. The best that can be said is that Sam died doing a thing that he clearly loved. RIP.

I don't follow rugby but is Sam Horan a name I have seen connected to rugby ?

7 minutes ago, AP said:

Tim Horan...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AP said:

Yeh that would be Tim.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:49 PM, monkie said:

Unfortunately it happens... endurance sports can bring on cardiac incidents. For some events it can actually be the best place for it to happen... I know that the treatment you get if you arrest at the London Marathon finish line is significantly better than you would get anywhere else except in an ITU (i.e. immediate CPR, defibrillation within 60 seconds and advanced care within 3 minutes, I know we've measured it for real a couple of times) but out on a bike leg it's much harder to ensure the chain of survival remains intact. That said, even with a perfect chain survival of out of hospital arrest is rare. I don't know exactly what happened here whether it was a heart attack or an arrest (the two terms are often conflated) but I'm sure everybody involved did their best in what are tricky circumstances. The best that can be said is that Sam died doing a thing that he clearly loved. RIP.

Absolutely right.  This years' club champs springs to mind, there were quit a few people afterwards noting how lucky Brucie was that he was right near the finish line and not on the bike leg