Sign in to follow this  
KieranR

How do Pro's afford it

Ok, so I was wondering a few things about Professional athletes

How do they afford to live an apparent comfortable life?

Everyone says triathlon doesn't pay well, but i look at for example Tim  & Rinny, they appear to live in a pretty nice house, constantly travel etc, I presume the coaches are not overly cheap?

Accommodation at races? do sponsors pay for that

Airfares? a lot seem to fly business class?

Do a lot of athletes have their own coaching program that helps to support it?

Im just bored on a Friday arvo at work and was wondering these things

Edited by KieranR

It's interesting with the display on Instagram I have also noticed that nearly all professionals fly business class.

Rinny and Tim in the last few weeks have put up photos.

Richard Murray and his GF are always flying business.

The McKenzies always fly business

jan and Emma snowsill do.

Jodie Stimpson

And they are just off the top of my head.  I know there are heaps of others.  

FFS Macca was flying private jet a few weeks back.

Don't get me wrong.  If I was flying Business I'd instagram it too.

I am sure some are struggling, but others are doing it easy.

Side topic: Did you see the hotel Rinny stayed at in Oahu last week.  A few days R&R. The rooms started in that place at $900 a night.  I've stayed there for 3 days last year.  But they weren't in the "Hotel" room.  They were in a 3 bedroom suite. $2K plus a night.

Google Cody Beal. He is a pro who lists all his costs and income. 

I think the top few have a different financial base to the many

18 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Im just bored on a Friday arvo at work and was wondering these things

Pondering a career change? :shy:

6 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Pondering a career change? :shy:

Haha, always, but an athlete is not one of them

I’ll chime in as a lower level pro.

I’m extremely lucky to live with my partner and we don’t have to pay rent which is a huge saving. Basically just utilities and our groceries/things for the house.

I also have a step dad who has worked for Qantas for 34 years which means I have staff travel. Being on standby can be very risky when heading to races but you have to make sure you plan as best as possible and are willing to change plans on a whim. On the plus side, sometimes it means business class which is a huge win.

Currently I am coaching a couple of athletes and taking two squad sessions with I4 here in Melbourne whilst also taking a couple of Spin Labs. This pretty much just makes ends meet when you consider petrol, car insurance etc.

I was able to be more comfortable when I was working part time for a financial adviser but lacked any passion for it which made it a constant grind and was a large burden on my triathlon. So overall, I’m much happier now and glad to be chasing areas that I am passionate in. I have found the coaching hugely rewarding and would love to grow it more.

For someone like myself there is very little sponsorship money from endemic sponsors. I have one sponsor who pays me bonuses and that is based on my bike riding.

I’ve been extremely lucky to have very very supportive parents and I am under no illusions that I would not have had these opportunities without them. Safe to say that trying to leave the nest chasing professional triathlon isn’t easy but ultimately it’s a sport that we do because we love it so I can’t complain!

• Like 7

Also, as a note, coaching is certainly an expense but I have already learnt so much from my coach and see it as an investment in my current progression as an athlete as well as a learning opportunity for me.

Furthermore, I have just finished my Bachelor of Commerce and am starting a Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science next year as that’s all I ever wanted to do.

Some of those names (if not all) that Pete mentioned; it's like comparing the top 50 in the world in golf to someone trying to get by on the qld troppo tour!  And the money those at the top end are making/have made is chicken feed compared to many at the top of other sports.

Can we think of any triathlete past or present, who has reached the pinnacle, that say has a net worth of 10mill???  How about 5mill?

21 minutes ago, goughy said:

Some of those names (if not all) that Pete mentioned; it's like comparing the top 50 in the world in golf to someone trying to get by on the qld troppo tour!  And the money those at the top end are making/have made is chicken feed compared to many at the top of other sports.

Can we think of any triathlete past or present, who has reached the pinnacle, that say has a net worth of 10mill???  How about 5mill?

Macca. Crowie. Jan. Stadler. Greg Welch , m Jones. Pnf, Natasha Badman, Siri Lindsey, emma  snowsill , Simon Whitfield. 

I’ll  stop here. 

Are you talking 10, or 5 mill?

So far the only ones I can find anything online about are Chrissie Wellington with 4mill, and the Brownlee brothers with a combined 3.5mill pound.

Macca would be 20 mill. 

Crowie would be 10

stadler over 10

greg Welch prob over 30mill. 

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Side topic: Did you see the hotel Rinny stayed at in Oahu last week.  A few days R&R. The rooms started in that place at $900 a night.  I've stayed there for 3 days last year.  But they weren't in the "Hotel" room.  They were in a 3 bedroom suite. $2K plus a night.

Here's their post Kona show, it's like an advert for the 4 Seasons Ko Olina, esp the 1st 5 mins. I'd be surprised if the hotel wasn't comped 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEYQZADLlgA

The majority would struggle to make ends meet. I've had a German Olympian / top Iron distance athlete ask to sleep on my floor as well as one of Australia's best Iron distance athletes also ask to sleep on my floor. Both flying to races on cheapest flights available.

I've also seen Macca sitting in economy on the flight back to Aus in the days when he was allowed to travel to Kona LOL.

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Macca would be 20 mill. 

Crowie would be 10

stadler over 10

greg Welch prob over 30mill. 

Gonna call BS on these figures 😂

• Like 2

I’ve been to Greg’s holiday house in diamond head. It’s a 5 million property. 

Macca has a 3 mill plus joint in Sydney. The prince and his Russian mates would have paid him heaps over the years. 

I think there's a lot of old money involved. Their mums and dads help them out a lot even when they get a bit older.

27 minutes ago, The Customer said:

I've had a German Olympian / top Iron distance athlete ask to sleep on my floor as well as one of Australia's best Iron distance athletes also ask to sleep on my floor.

C'mon, they were hitting on you. Wake up Customer! :D

(Sorry Stan)

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Tyno said:

(Sorry Stan)

They call that grooming

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Don't get me wrong.  If I was flying Business I'd instagram it too.

I wouldn’t !!!!

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

(Sorry Stan)

I think it was the other way around :P 

Back in the day used to frequently bump into pros while travelling around the country for the Ampol series etc

Where?

The cheapest pub accommodation or caravan pk with cabins close to the race venue generally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trifun said:

Back in the day used to frequently bump into pros while travelling around the country for the Ampol series etc

Where?

The cheapest pub accommodation or caravan pk with cabins close to the race venue generally.

And social security used to supplement quite a few incomes as well.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Say it isn't so, many were "students" (on like their third B.Art etc).

23 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

I think there's a lot of old money involved. Their mums and dads help them out a lot even when they get a bit older.

I would call BS on this for Macca and Crowie at least. The 2nd tier and pro-groupers I have no doubt are full of those on parental scholarships 

23 hours ago, Peter said:

I’ve been to Greg’s holiday house in diamond head. It’s a 5 million property. 

Macca has a 3 mill plus joint in Sydney. The prince and his Russian mates would have paid him heaps over the years. 

He bought that a long time ago while still racing. Not $3 mill back then.

Most races have a hotel as a sponsor/partner. 600 age groupers pay $300pn and they give away 10 free rooms or so to the pros. No way these guys are worth $10-30m unless they made the money elsewhere.

Don't know what anyones bank balance is.

In the 90's when they were running the ITGP (super league), they had Greg Welch cooking for the other athletes at his house. He had a Porsche 911.

Shortis think was on the parent subsidy at the start

I would not be surprised if Macca was the wealthiest of all the triathletes.  That dude knew how to sell himself!  

Haha. Well done bored

—————

lachie in the money today at shep. 

On 10/11/2018 at 4:36 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Ha, yes. The John Howard Surf & Skate team....

On 09/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, Peter said:

Macca. Crowie. Jan. Stadler. Greg Welch , m Jones. Pnf, Natasha Badman, Siri Lindsey, emma  snowsill , Simon Whitfield. 

I’ll  stop here. 

I reckon Bennett could probably top that list.

• Like 1

Thing is, all this 'expensive living' could be part of sponsorship deals....

Hotel companies might provide free accommodation to people they sponsor, on the basis that you use your instagram/social media presence to advertise the hotel.  

I don't know many pro athletes, but I know quite a few 'business' people who do various (sometimes weird/new age) jobs that have arrangments like this ...

I know one guy who has a deal like this with a major airline.  They give him flights for free, he uses his social media profile to market for them (photos from their first class lounge, boarding into business class etc).  Its a win:win - he gets the travel he needs, they get exposure to his big following of crowds on the interweb!!

I reckon thats how a lot of people 'appear' to be living the high life ....