Peter

Wurf watch

I’m a big Wurf fan. Love what he is doing for the sport and the way he races.

But I just can’t get my head around his association with Ineos/sky. He isn’t sponsored, so why in earth would ineos keep paying for his training? He goes on training camps as one of the crew, as shown in yesterday’s ride in Majorca. He gets all the cool bits, like those aero bars worth a chunk. His coach is actually employed by the biggest cycling team in the world - why would Ineos be happy with him moonlighting as a tri coach on their time? 

he is VERY marketable, but doesn’t seem to have a major sponsor, just a bike and clothing partner. How is he working with national swim coaches, the biggest cycling team in the world, and the breaking 2 team at Nike? Surely there are actual runners that would give Nike a better return on that investment?

Its a Shame that this sport doesn’t actually have reporters that ask your questions 

13 hours ago, Peter said:

36km hr with 138 watts average.   Someone was hurting for 300k but it wasn’t cam. 

Ahh so it makes sense now - his power meter died about 160kms in; was averaging 220 watts until then.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, The new guy said:

. he is VERY marketable, but doesn’t seem to have a major sponsor, just a bike and clothing partner. How is he working with national swim coaches, the biggest cycling team in the world, and the breaking 2 team at Nike? Surely there are actual runners that would give Nike a better return on that investment?

Maybe he’s just one of those guys that everyone likes having around. Great for team moral and all that. He might be one of those people that can get the best out of others. 

He’s certainly got the gift of the gab. Would be great to have a beer with. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick777 said:

Ahh so it makes sense now - his power meter died about 160kms in; was averaging 220 watts until then.

Nice drilling down.  I didn’t stalk that far but good intel. 

30 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

I noticed that one of his KOMs had zero watts...

Clearly he was very aero

• Haha 2

On 17/12/2019 at 7:40 AM, Peter said:

Nice drilling down.  I didn’t stalk that far but good intel. 

They swapped from TT bikes to roadies. Tipping he didn’t sync the head unit to the power meter on the second bike .

Just a sub 3hr marathon training run to kick off 2020

IMG_20200102_183145.png

• Like 1

I wish jan and Seb were this open. 

Its not like their training will help us, but its just Nice to see what a professionals training life is like.  

Its not like they give away away their secrets. 

• Like 1

Actually Seb in his recent interview on the Triathlon Taren podcast explicitly says he would never post his training data as he does think it can be mined for an advantage. As a professional data guy by day, I tend to agree with him. If you can derive approximate power/pace numbers, you could easily use that in a race. 

1 minute ago, dazmuzza said:

Actually Seb in his recent interview on the Triathlon Taren podcast explicitly says he would never post his training data as he does think it can be mined for an advantage. As a professional data guy by day, I tend to agree with him. If you can derive approximate power/pace numbers, you could easily use that in a race. 

How would you use it?

45 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Explain more? 

I know for me knowing someone else’s data it might tell me what they can hold, but if I can’t hold it, its point To me. 

52 minutes ago, Peter said:

Explain more? 

I know for me knowing someone else’s data it might tell me what they can hold, but if I can’t hold it, its point To me. 

Exactly what I was thinking. 

On 03/01/2020 at 10:10 AM, more said:

How would you use it?

Well, how I might use it might differ substantially to how Kienle might. 

http://triathlontarenpodcast.libsyn.com/sebastian-kienle

Go to about 0:50 in the podcast to get Kienle's view on people posting power data.

Taren asks him specifically how he might use bike power data, and Kienle says he'd use it to find out how hard people work on the front of Kona bike packs. My intepretation is that he'd that to figure out if he should go to the front or the back of a pack. It's a bit jumbled but I get his drift (I think). 

On 03/01/2020 at 10:54 AM, Peter said:

I think thats what Kienle also thinks. Surely that would be valuable at pro level?

I was almost wondering if he is going to do the cadel race tomorrow

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

No idea what this means. Perhaps he is going to race as a cycling pro this year.

Probably means he's about to be diagnosed with chronic asthma or some hidden condition that's always held him back.

• Haha 3

Interesting article/interview in Ride Magazine from mid-2019 here: https://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/wurf-training-for-triathlon-with-cycling-champions/

I didn't realise quite how much Wurf had been doing with Ineos - will be fascinating if he does both World Tour and IM racing in the same year (will he be the first ever to do both in a calendar year?)

I wouldn't expect to see him in the race, but you never know.  Weather permitting in the morning tomorrow I'll be having a cruisey ride with the Cofidis team, so should be fun.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I was almost wondering if he is going to do the cadel race tomorrow

You'd have to wonder what he is doing in Torquay otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

What's the swell like? :)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Yep. Initially I thought he might have just stopped over before going home to Tassie.  But now ...  

how late can the start list change?

90DD3A07-4775-4FC7-945B-F2AB2A0230E2.png

Edited by Peter

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What's the swell like? :)

I did a swim race there a few weeks back, and one of the buoys blew away.

17 minutes ago, roxii said:

Maybe they are bringing him on as Froomes run coach 

After watching him on Mt Ventoux he could do with one. Mind you, after that ride, in cleats, up a mountain, he wasn't doing that bad really.

11 hours ago, Peter said:

I was almost wondering if he is going to do the cadel race

E4A4FC14-6130-4E38-BD4C-E2FC22FD0CA7.jpeg

Edited by Peter

11 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

So, when’s he next racing ITU?😂

He is entered for 3 events.  I read it somewhere. 

• Like 1

Not a bad career move though. 
Even a domestique salary from a team like Ineos would make him one of the highest paid triathletes wouldn’t it? 
certainly one of the few triathletes going around with a guaranteed income aside from sponsorships. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Anyone seen him or is he dropped?

When Ineos were chasing the break he was taking turns at the front. Haven't seen him since.

6 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Big day..

Screenshot_20200202-183953_Strava.jpg

I wonder how many of the pro peleton joined him on that one?

struth. 

an average of 376 watts (that sounds a bit high!) for 3hrs 40min 😮 Then a 30km run (at 4min ks) 😮