Peter

Wurf watch

8 hours ago, Trier said:

Just did some research. The highest result that I could find was 80, tested during his cycling career. Then in 2018 he did some testing and the article stated the result was between 75 and 80 but didn't give a conclusive figure. These are fairly high but certainly not  what I would class extraordinary. I actually assumed he would have been a bit higher.

VO2 Max doesnt correlate to performance. I did a treadmill test gas analysis with Welchie once. I measured at 83.7 and Welchie was 76. He could run 2 minutes faster than me over 10k. Deek was tested in the 70s too I think. Indurain was 92 from memory.

25 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

VO2 Max doesnt correlate to performance. I did a treadmill test gas analysis with Welchie once. I measured at 83.7 and Welchie was 76. He could run 2 minutes faster than me over 10k. Deek was tested in the 70s too I think. Indurain was 92 from memory.

Neither is it irrelevant. A combination of vo2 and lactate threshold tests gives a pretty good indication of potential capabilities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dazaau said:

84 wasn’t bad. 

He wasn't 84. Tested at 81 when doping, apparently was more like 75-77. That's a bit different to ~87-94

4 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Derek Clayton 68, Indurain 88, Lemond 92.

Will Walker......94

14 hours ago, Trier said:

Neither is it irrelevant. A combination of vo2 and lactate threshold tests gives a pretty good indication of potential capabilities.

Vo2 at threshold is the only determinant of performance really worth worrying about. If max is 80 and you can only sustain 68 while someone with  max of 75 but can hold 70 then the absolute max is only relevant in that your max can't be below others threshold or you are now an age grouper.

Clayton is the most well known example of someone with a lower Vo2 max than competitors but able to perform at a higher standard due to a high threshold

That was a nice write up. He’s becoming one of my favourites, if he started getting on here then he might go to number one, for now Josh still has the title. 

Love it how he’s not afraid to speak his mind and doesn’t pull punches, no love lost for Lange there! Also wasn’t expecting his respect and self proclaimed man crush on Ali. 

Well the pros ain't paying his bills so that just makes him smart.  They could learn a thing or two.

And I've no doubt there would be some that take themselves too seriously, like Starky, who might get riled up but the majority of decent pros are probably amused. 

51 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Anyone watching Wurf at his first itu ?

Well I should be in bed, but I might have to stay up a bit later to watch.

I will watch, after hearing that two ITU athletes(Gentle, Aus and Vanriel Belg) just gave the long course athletes a schooling at Xiamen in their first ever attempts at longer racing I am very interested to see what happens. 

Edited by Trier

22 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Is there a link to the race or is it all run and won by now

9pm tonight Brisbane time. Will be on triathlonlive.tv if you're a subscriber.

Well he did it, 2nd last, about 11mins from 1st place.

About 40secs from the front swim pack which surprised me, I thought he be further behind. Ran a 36.15.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Well he did it, 2nd last, about 11mins from 1st place.

About 40secs from the front swim pack which surprised me, I thought he be further behind. Ran a 36.15.

Good swim, surprised he didn’t bridge on the bike to the first pack. 36 minute 10Km isn’t a real surprise, although I thought a 33 might be doable for his first attempt.

3 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Something looks to have happened in T1

Yes. Exactly 2 minutes slower than everybody else. Curious 

I am not sure the timing is right, I watched  but with no live timing and him not wearing aus suit it was hard to pick the swim. But i think he was the guy way back, finishing after they are on the bike. Would need to watch again now I know he isn't in green.

56 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Yes. Exactly 2 minutes slower than everybody else. Curious 

With his cycling background, he was putting socks on and checking for correct sock height.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

With his cycling background, he was putting socks on and checking for correct sock height.

Maybe he was waiting for his soigneur to give him a push out of T1 ...

Look at his Instagram pic, shows him re-entering the water way behind the field. He didn't spend the extra time in transition, that's a timing/typo issue. He even says that.

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, The new guy said:

Man he had a good dig at Lange there!

yeah didn't hold back...

He finished 15 minutes slower than the winner of the Women's race!

How embarrassment. :whistling:

DFL out of the water.

Appears to have been 2nd pack ride, which was 3 minutes slower than pack 1.

Decent run time for an old long course bloke who isn't known for his run speed.

Gotta find at least a minute, probably 2 in the swim, then he easily gains the 3 minutes difference from a Pack 1 ride.

Then all he has to do is knock 6 minutes off his run time and he'll be a decent 2nd tier ITU athlete :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

He finished 15 minutes slower than the winner of the Women's race!

How embarrassment. :whistling:

DFL out of the water.

Appears to have been 2nd pack ride, which was 3 minutes slower than pack 1.

Decent run time for an old long course bloke who isn't known for his run speed.

Gotta find at least a minute, probably 2 in the swim, then he easily gains the 3 minutes difference from a Pack 1 ride.

Then all he has to do is knock 6 minutes off his run time and he'll be a decent 2nd tier ITU athlete :)

Women's race was shortened to 5km run due to the heat

42 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Women's race was shortened to 5km run due to the heat

Yeah, what was with that, no way should just one leg be shortened. ITU need to stop doing this, really imbalances the race. If it's too hot make it a Sprint, don't just cut something from one leg.

1 hour ago, Trier said:

Yeah, what was with that, no way should just one leg be shortened. ITU need to stop doing this, really imbalances the race. If it's too hot make it a Sprint, don't just cut something from one leg.

Looks like a recorded max of 33 yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Was :whistling:too subtle?

Dammit, I was pretty sure you would've known.

• Haha 1

Towards the end of that podcast Cam discloses that he has had a meeting with the TA selectors and they have set him specific swimming goals/benchmarks to achieve in training before they select him for another World Cup race. So, it seems his Olympic canalising is still on at this stage.

Edit: the clever bum comments below made do a double take - ‘canalising’ = campaign. Obviously.

I must have hit the wrong key and didn’t pick up the autocorrect. 

Edited by Andrew #1

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Towards the end of that podcast Cam discloses that he has had a meeting with the TA selectors and they have set him specific swimming goals/benchmarks to achieve in training before they select him for another World Cup race. So, it seems his Olympic canalising is still on at this stage.

the good news is that it can only help his swimming for Ironman too.  Move up a pack? Will never be front pack.  But closer can't hurt

1 hour ago, Peter said:

the good news is that it can only help his swimming for Ironman too.  Move up a pack? Will never be front pack.  But closer can't hurt

Last year in Kona he was towards the front half of the main pack and only 2.5 minutes off the back of that front pack. This year he felt flat in the swim and bike - he puts it down to the travel after Italy, but it might just be from laying down a 7.46 Ironman 3 weeks out. Who knows. Anyways, he came out of the water towards the back of the main pack and 5 minutes behind the very small elite selection that hammered the swim. Big difference in terms of being able to quickly move through the main pack of swimmers in the opening miles of the bike and bridge up to the Frodo pack on the QueenK.

So, this year - without that late Ironman and travel 3 weeks out he might have come out towards the front of the main pack of swimmers - and only 3 minutes behind Frodo etc. 

However, with ITU swim training over the next 6 months, it seems likely that his swim will be more consistent - always able to place him towards the front of the main pack: whether the head of the main pack gets out of the water 2 or 4 minutes behind the first - breakaway - pack depends on how much the likes of Josh, AB and Gomez are prepared to put the hammer down in the water. If they ‘take it easy’ then Cam might actually be able to ‘tag along’. This probably means that AB and Gomez will put the hammer down to get a gap out of the water and make Cam work harder on the bike to catch up ...

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

This probably means that AB and Gomez will put the hammer down to get a gap out of the water and make Cam work harder on the bike to catch up ..

If it makes his rivals work harder in the swim, without him putting in extra effort on the day, then that can only be a good thing as the race plays out.

36km hr with 138 watts average.   Someone was hurting for 300k but it wasn’t cam. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

36km hr with 138 watts average.   Someone was hurting for 300k but it wasn’t cam. 

Saving his legs for the 10k run off the bike