Peter

Wurf watch

On 26/08/2019 at 10:31 PM, Bored@work said:

Turned myself inside out last week chasing a KOM & then went to the bakery for a donut.

You wouldn't have to go to the bakery if you had a set-up like this.

No photo description available.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

Where was that?

The guy doing the Weiss videos on twitter.  I think it was Eric something. I’ll look tomorrow for the clip. 

8 hours ago, Peter said:

P

Lol he doesn't pull any punches on Lange, classic!! God I love this guy! 

Edited by more

He’s a bit like Macca, strong personality, and not scared to share his opinion. He puts the slipper in to Lionel and Frodo on occasion, but respects them. Lange not so it would seem

his Breakfast with Bob interview should be another highlight

9 hours ago, Peter said:

P

That is awesome. I'm a big fan.

54 minutes ago, Charlesn said:

He’s a bit like Macca, strong personality, and not scared to share his opinion. He puts the slipper in to Lionel and Frodo on occasion, but respects them. Lange not so it would seem

his Breakfast with Bob interview should be another highlight

I don’t think Lange is liked by any of the non German pros.  

They all know he cheats.  

This was a great video. Love the piss taking of others and himself.  

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

Guaranteed the Yanks will NOT get his humour at all. Some will be up in arms over on twits, you'd think. 

You can take that to the bank

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Funny interview.

Blown away that he's so honest about his fellow pros! 

Honest? He’s just taking the piss for the most part. 

5 hours ago, more said:

Lol he doesn't pull any punches on Lange, classic!! God I love this guy! 

yeah that was gold!

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Honest? He’s just taking the piss for the most part. 

Not sure if the Lange comment is taking the piss though 😕

Edited by dazmuzza

Hope the folks at IM marketing dept. realise he is taking the piss and don’t quote him saying Kona is bigger than the olympics and the UCI world tour. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Hope the folks at IM marketing dept. realise he is taking the piss and don’t quote him saying Kona is bigger than the olympics and the UCI world tour. 

The head of their marketing department will jump on it and post it all over Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook & Twitter. It's what all the 22 year old's do.   

• Haha 1

18.55 - guy doesn't hold back on Lange!

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zed said:

18.55 - guy doesn't hold back on Lange!

And fair enough too, was a pretty shit way to win.......in an individual sport like he says

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KieranR said:

And fair enough too, was a pretty shit way to win.......in an individual sport like he says

Crowie used McKenzie one year.  We were all good with that. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peter said:

Crowie used McKenzie one year.  We were all good with that. 

Easy there....

22 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Easy there....

I understand the truth hurts. 

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

I understand the truth hurts. 

I'm saying easy there on assuming we were all good with it.

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'm saying easy there on assuming we were all good with it.

Haha. At least we know no one is riding for wurf 

• Like 1

Anyone noticed that Cam has a slightly ‘odd’ shaped upper torso? Whereas some other triathletes are like beanpoles (Frodo and Brownlee for example) most have a pretty typical ‘V’ shaped back. Not Cam - there is hardly any V shaped taper at all - his lower ribs are nearly as wide as at the top of his chest. I reckon he must have a Phar Lap sized set of heart and lungs packed in there: a legacy of a decade of elite rowing - basically from the end of puberty until his mid 20s - perhaps. 

Frodo talking about wurf and outside assistance. 

12 hours ago, KieranR said:

Yeah. That was not a piss take.100% Mind games.

That said, I have nothing against Lange’s tactics. No different really than how. Macca won in 2007 or Crowie won the following two years. No difference really to how Allen marked Scot for the whole swim and bike in the Ironwar. Or how Allen won his last ever Ironman in 1995 - running down Hellregiel’s 14 minute lead off the bike after sitting on Welch’s arse for the whole bike. Lange May - or may not - have recruited other athletes to assist in the execution of his race plan. So what. How is that any different than Macca recruiting against Crowie in 2010?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Anyone noticed that Cam has a slightly ‘odd’ shaped upper torso? Whereas some other triathletes are like beanpoles (Frodo and Brownlee for example) most have a pretty typical ‘V’ shaped back. Not Cam - there is hardly any V shaped taper at all - his lower ribs are nearly as wide as at the top of his chest. I reckon he must have a Phar Lap sized set of heart and lungs packed in there: a legacy of a decade of elite rowing - basically from the end of puberty until his mid 20s - perhaps. 

It's a lot like the pro cycling peleton. Heaps of them have that body shape, though a little thinner than Cam is now.

34 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Yeah. That was not a piss take.100% Mind games.

That said, I have nothing against Lange’s tactics. No different really than how. Macca won in 2007 or Crowie won the following two years. No difference really to how Allen marked Scot for the whole swim and bike in the Ironwar. Or how Allen won his last ever Ironman in 1995 - running down Hellregiel’s 14 minute lead off the bike after sitting on Welch’s arse for the whole bike. Lange May - or may not - have recruited other athletes to assist in the execution of his race plan. So what. How is that any different than Macca recruiting against Crowie in 2010?

We're not talking about drafting though, we are talking about Lange using Dreitz as a domestique, which Wurf referred to as "Lange's little team". Dreitz sacrificed his race to help Lange (others also benefited) on the bike.  The contrivance of it makes it worse than drafting. A blatant, pre-organised plan to cheat. On top of that you had his 2 drafting penalties in 2016. Other pros have drafted, but in that race Lange got done twice and continued to draft (like 2m) after his 2 penalties. It's ridiculous a pro can still finish 3rd after having 2 penalties. I don't know any pros that have been pinged twice in a race and I would imagine most that do get gone, would then behave and stick to a 12m gap. 

Pro triathletes are generally a conservative bunch, not exactly out-spoken. It speaks volumes that many of Lange's fellow pros have spoken out against him and have such a poor opinion of him. 

"To be clear, Dreitz and Lange did not appear to break the 12-metre draft zone that Ironman enforces. However, what was clear, was two athletes wearing the same team jersey moving through the elite men’s field. Lange closely followed Drietz, while Drietz kept an eye on Lange."

It was so apparent to those watching and racing, that Braden Currie, the 5th place finisher at Kona said on the Fitter Radio with Bevan Mackinnon and  Mikki Williden, “Patrick and Andreas Dreitz came through. I hope Patrick is paying him well, because jeez. He was pretty amazing. Yeah, he (Dreitz) put himself on the front, and he stayed so steady. You could tell that Patrick just kind of had him by the finger in a way like “easy up a little bit,” “keep pushing,” “I’m still here we’re good,” and Andreas just went to the front and did all the work.”

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

How is that any different than Macca recruiting against Crowie in 2010?

All Macca did was send out the word to ride hard on the bike to put a decent gap between them and Crowie. No-one sacrificed their race to help Macca and Macca still did work at the front. 

7 minutes ago, zed said:

All Macca did was send out the word to ride hard on the bike to put a decent gap between them and Crowie. No-one sacrificed their race to help Macca and Macca still did work at the front. 

You are going to be apoplectic if the worst happens and Lange wins again and AB has a sleep in the energy lab...😃

• Haha 1

Drietz finished 13th, which frankly is about all he was good for. He is a unit and Lange simply took advantage of Andy’s obvious strategy to maximise his own race performance: namely one steady 4:10 hr effort on the bike and holding on for the marathon. It is a nonsense to say that he sacrificed is own race for Patrick.

Patrick fought to stay only 1 to 3 positions behind Drietz because THAT is where you should position yourself if you want to be competitive in the loose bunch - a point that Dave Scot emphasised just today in his extended interview with Taren.

Zed is missing my points about Macca. 

Yes, he still did a bunch of work to break Crowie in 2010 and in fact his performance that year is my all time favourite male race. BUT there is much more evidence that he had spent a whole year trying to convince the others in the selection that went late to work together to break Crowie than there is evidence that Lange recruited Andy to specifically be his domestique bitch. 

The other point is that Macca deliberately stuck to Faris’s arse in 2006, knowing full well how Faris was going to ride that race. This was a point of some controversy immediately after the race. He did not put his own nose into wind in 2007 either. Crowie never put his nose into the wind in any Hawaiian Ironman until 2011. 

I’d say the current crop of elite men are being little bitches. They would be better served concentrating on there own square metre. Broaden Currie? He was in the same pack as Lange. I don’t recall his heroic efforts to break away or even take a turn at the front. He’s a great athlete but he failed to run under 2:50 in the mildest ever conditions & having received the same ‘tow’ as Lange.  

If they men were serious they’d use the new professional athletes association to lobby for a 20 metre rule and then if they had the courage of their convictions they contemplate a pre race boycott unless WTC bent the knee. Can’t ever see that happening though: far easier to have a social media bitch about it all!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, pieman said:

You are going to be apoplectic if the worst happens and Lange wins again and AB has a sleep in the energy lab...😃

haha yup!

4 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Yes, he still did a bunch of work to break Crowie in 2010 and in fact his performance that year is my all time favourite male race. BUT there is much more evidence that he had spent a whole year trying to convince the others in the selection that went late to work together to break Crowie than there is evidence that Lange recruited Andy to specifically be his domestique bitch. 

The other point is that Macca deliberately stuck to Faris’s arse in 2006, knowing full well how Faris was going to ride that race. This was a point of some controversy immediately after the race. He did not put his own nose into wind in 2007 either. Crowie never put his nose into the wind in any Hawaiian Ironman until 2011. 

Yeah I don't really know much about the 2010/2011 races, just what I read in Macca's book. 

1 hour ago, zed said:

Macca well and truly teamed up with the gun riders.  And it was a smart move.  But make no mistake, they rode as a team swapping turns and hammering the Crowie group

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I don't really know much about the 2010/2011 races, just what I read in Macca's book. 

Faris and Norman called Macca out as drafting cheat a number of times

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I’d say the current crop of elite men are being little bitches. They would be better served concentrating on there own square metre. Broaden Currie? He was in the same pack as Lange. I don’t recall his heroic efforts to break away or even take a turn at the front. He’s a great athlete but he failed to run under 2:50 in the mildest ever conditions & having received the same ‘tow’ as Lange.  

Think you're 100% correct here. 

Lange had a winning strategy. So long as its within the rules, I have no issue with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Faris and Norman called Macca out as drafting cheat a number of times

Such good times and war of words between those 3.

Edited by Peter

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Such good times and war of words between those 3.

They backed off like little bitches when Macca confronted them face to face at the award ceremony about it. Mind you no one backed off like a little bitch as much as Macca did when Crowie physically confronted him at Engadine pool after Macca trashed talked him for 6 months after the 2010 race ... 

What about when Faris's mum called Macca and asked him to stop picking on her son.  haha

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

What about when Faris's mum called Macca and asked him to stop picking on her son.  haha

It’s a little ironic that Faris is Lange’s coach ...

Given Macca drafted of them as he drafted if Walton in his first Im oz win.

their criticism seems fair

41 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Given Macca drafted of them as he drafted if Walton in his first Im oz win.

their criticism seems fair

That’s incorrect. Macca was actually solo for most of the bike at IMA 2002 - in ‘no mans land’ between Walton and a big bunch that included Luke Bell and that European guy who ended up running into second. Shortis was stuck in another no mans land about 5 minutes behind that bunch.

Edited to add: there was a draft Marshall besides that lead bunch in Kona in 2006 and 07. Macca did not get a drafting call because he was stuck firmly in the draft legal zone (which started at only 7M back from the biker in front then), typically about 10-12 meters back just to be safe.

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

That’s incorrect. Macca was actually solo for most of the bike at IMA 2002 - in ‘no mans land’ between Walton and a big bunch that included Luke Bell and that European guy who ended up running into second. Shortis was stuck in another no mans land about 5 minutes behind that bunch.

Edited to add: there was a draft Marshall besides that lead bunch in Kona in 2006 and 07. Macca did not get a drafting call because he was stuck firmly in the draft legal zone (which started at only 7M back from the biker in front then), typically about 10-12 meters back just to be safe.

WIll agree to disagree what we observed in 2002 and Shortis best to leave alone

Edited by BarryBevan

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

WIll agree to disagree what we observed in 2002 and Shortis best to leave alone

We clearly saw completely different races.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

They backed off like little bitches when Macca confronted them face to face at the award ceremony about it. Mind you no one backed off like a little bitch as much as Macca did when Crowie physically confronted him at Engadine pool after Macca trashed talked him for 6 months after the 2010 race ... 

I like Macca, for his tactics, his love of the sport, his opinion and his persistence, and there is a bit of the same in Wurf which I like.

But gee Macca went mighty quiet when the Sunny Garcia story broke. Only now is it probably safe for Macca to return to Hawaii