Peter

Wurf watch

Well Wurf just blew that apart. 2:45:02 for a 7:46 total. Sixteen minutes up on 2nd place, and actually picked his pace up significantly for the last 4 km.

This qualifies him for next year. Can he actually recover from such a fast run in time for this year.

And not only that. He looks so fresh at the interview 3 minutes after he finished.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Can he actually recover from such a fast run in time for this year.

This. 🤔

We have to stop judging this bloke like other triathletes. He had a completely different background of extremely high training loads, and cyclists are potentially the best athletes in the world (especially with Kerrison as coach) at periodisation.

His reference to Paris-nice in relation to the tour with its 3 week gap is very relevant for him. 

The fact he looked great at the end, and he started picking up the pace which I haven’t seen him do before, says to me he is in amazing form, and he didn’t tax himself too much today.

• Like 1

Unreal result and with his background I dont see the three work turn around a problem. He also now qualified for next year won another title and made some $$ well played.

Cool down so lets see if he can run that speed in kona heat, i hope so. Also how about the swim!

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Well Wurf just blew that apart. 2:45:02 for a 7:46 total. Sixteen minutes up on 2nd place, and actually picked his pace up significantly for the last 4 km.

This qualifies him for next year. Can he actually recover from such a fast run in time for this year.

And not only that. He looks so fresh at the interview 3 minutes after he finished.

746 and people are fresh

Edited by BarryBevan

That was an impressive race by Wurf. He is no longer just a uber biker. His swim is down to ~47 minutes and an impressive 2:45 run.

On Strava he does massive volume, I think that he will recover in time.

It is going to be a close and exciting mens race.

11 hours ago, Fresh said:

7:46...what a champion!

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Kona is a farking lottery anyway.  

Last year 10% of people picked Lange to win. And he was the returning champion. 

Cam banked some good cash, qualified like you said ex, and got a solid training day in. 

If  wurf comes top 5 this year in Kona that’s a success for me. 

If he wins the other guys are all farked for years to come  

like someone else said above, he is a different beast  

I’m loving it   

Cam has talent and a personality   

There are only a few other guys like that  

Lange, Frodo, andi and all boring as Fark professionals   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Cam has talent and a personality  

I loved the bit near the end when he ran over to the side of the road, lifted an industrial bin lid & threw his rubbish into it rather than just tossing it in a designated area for someone else to pick up. Also the bit where he was mucking around when Alex Zanardi went past him in the wheelchair.

I hope the other top guys were watching it.

I’ve always felt that the top pro blokes need a 3 month turn around between Ironman races otherwise things are a bit sus. Both because of the stress that a decent Ironman - even a B race - puts on the central nervous system and the little stresses to the muscular skeletal system involved in running a marathon.

yet, if one looks at say - the late careers of Jason Shortis and Cam Brown, they could back up for a solid IM performances every month in their late 30s and even into their 40s. They could rely on their massive base and focus only on key training sessions and effective periodisation to get the job done. Their bodies were well adjusted to recover from the stress of racing all day in an ironman. Cam is still going around and is good for a sub 8:15 aged 46 ...

Wurf is at another level again, but he comes from a different background. 50K annual cycling training logs where his live for a decade. Before that he was an Olympic rower. To gain experience he has often done a training day Ironman once or twice a month. His body has already adapted to the stress of racing multiple hours day in day out. Whilst he doesn’t have the running base of other competitors I am impressived by the approach his coach took over the first two years - average weekly run logs of less than 50km were commonplace but basically every run session was done already fatigued by a bike session earlier that day: he was getting bang for bucks. Moreover most long runs were a marathon at between 4:05 and 4:15 pace at the end of an Ironman.

Then this year, having got 2 years running in the legs the main focus has been 100km+ running weeks back to back for the six months between February and August. 

In 2017 he won IM Wales (and he was only a 4:15 min per km Ironman marathoner at that stage) and three weeks later ran 3:17 in Kona.

Last year Wurf ran 2:52 at Alameer and 5 weeks later ran a gritty 3:06 in Kona.

last night he pretty much ran an even 3:50 pace. A step up, but one which, hopefully hasn’t taken anything out of his legs for Kona. However, I remember a similar effort that Peter Reid did at IM Canada in 2001 - 8 weeks before Kona (which he’d already won twice) and it clearly stuffed him on race day. I’m hoping that Cam didn’t subconsciously use his awesome pre Kona fitness to bake himself yesterday. I’m hoping that the stress of running a 3:50 min per km marathon is no more than the 4:05min per km marathon he ran last year before Kona.

Fingers crossed.

15 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

His strava data suggests he was holding back on both the bike & the run

746 I’m what bit is he holding back on

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

He could go sub 4 on the bike for sure. 

Just like Potts and Jacobs could have gone much faster in the swim than they ever did. They just didn’t this there was any point to riding the queenk solo. So they didn’t go faster. 

Clearly cam has to hold back on the bike to not Fark up his run. 

But wow his swimming has improved 

32 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I’ve always felt that the top pro blokes need a 3 month turn around between Ironman races otherwise things are a bit sus. Both because of the stress that a decent Ironman - even a B race - puts on the central nervous system and the little stresses to the muscular skeletal system involved in running a marathon.

yet, if one looks at say - the late careers of Jason Shortis and Cam Brown, they could back up for a solid IM performances every month in their late 30s and even into their 40s. They could rely on their massive base and focus only on key training sessions and effective periodisation to get the job done. Their bodies were well adjusted to recover from the stress of racing all day in an ironman. Cam is still going around and is good for a sub 8:15 aged 46 ...

Wurf is at another level again, but he comes from a different background. 50K annual cycling training logs where his live for a decade. Before that he was an Olympic rower. To gain experience he has often done a training day Ironman once or twice a month. His body has already adapted to the stress of racing multiple hours day in day out. Whilst he doesn’t have the running base of other competitors I am impressived by the approach his coach took over the first two years - average weekly run logs of less than 50km were commonplace but basically every run session was done already fatigued by a bike session earlier that day: he was getting bang for bucks. Moreover most long runs were a marathon at between 4:05 and 4:15 pace at the end of an Ironman.

Then this year, having got 2 years running in the legs the main focus has been 100km+ running weeks back to back for the six months between February and August. 

In 2017 he won IM Wales (and he was only a 4:15 min per km Ironman marathoner at that stage) and three weeks later ran 3:17 in Kona.

Last year Wurf ran 2:52 at Alameer and 5 weeks later ran a gritty 3:06 in Kona.

last night he pretty much ran an even 3:50 pace. A step up, but one which, hopefully hasn’t taken anything out of his legs for Kona. However, I remember a similar effort that Peter Reid did at IM Canada in 2001 - 8 weeks before Kona (which he’d already won twice) and it clearly stuffed him on race day. I’m hoping that Cam didn’t subconsciously use his awesome pre Kona fitness to bake himself yesterday. I’m hoping that the stress of running a 3:50 min per km marathon is no more than the 4:05min per km marathon he ran last year before Kona.

Fingers crossed.

Got to admit....in the footage I saw he looked relax, comfortable and was enjoying himself. That is pretty rare!!!

Edited by IronmanFoz
typo

21 minutes ago, Peter said:

He could go sub 4 on the bike for sure. 

Just like Potts and Jacobs could have gone much faster in the swim than they ever did. They just didn’t this there was any point to riding the queenk solo. So they didn’t go faster. 

Clearly cam has to hold back on the bike to not Fark up his run. 

But wow his swimming has improved 

So if he does that his run blows up. 746 is smoking and drilled to the max. Though he is fresh as a daisy like ryf at the end.

anyhow he will bash it at Kona and he has an improved run. Should be fun to watch 

• Like 1

He has gone 2:44 on a course that is 41km based on his Strava. 

So that means 2:48:30 on an accurate course. 

He can't win Kona with those run splits unless he throws it down on the bike. On a short course like Italy on a mild day (It was 22 degrees) he needed to run sub 2:40. His run has certainly improved enough that if he does lay it down on the bike, the others aren't going to be able to hang back anymore knowing they can run him down.

Can't see him breaking 3:00 in 3 weeks though, so will need 10 minutes off the bike at least.

36 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

His power output was 5-10% lower than what he normally puts out. He rode a hard first 40 (330w or so), but his last 40 in particular were way down on normal. 

1 minute ago, Nick777 said:

His power output was 5-10% lower than what he normally puts out. He rode a hard first 40 (330w or so), but his last 40 in particular were way down on normal. 

Dont bring factual data into this.

Just make wild comments like the others above.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nick777 said:

Every I’m he has ever done he rides like that port Mac he nailed though.

so you are saying he’s jogging and soft pedalling to 746. 

7 minutes ago, bumcrackjack said:

His starva always shows 41km for a marathon - even in Kona last year when his watch stopped at 3:06 - which was his official split. So I wouldn’t be reading too much into that point.

edited to say that I’d been even more concerned about him baking himself if he threw down a sub 2:40 with 3 weeks to go to the big dance. Even on a ‘short’ course

Edited by Andrew #1

8 minutes ago, bumcrackjack said:

So that means 2:48:30 on an accurate course. 

He can't win Kona with those run splits unless he throws it down on the bike. On a short course like Italy on a mild day (It was 22 degrees) he needed to run sub 2:40. His run has certainly improved enough that if he does lay it down on the bike, the others aren't going to be able to hang back anymore knowing they can run him down.

Can't see him breaking 3:00 in 3 weeks though, so will need 10 minutes off the bike at least.

Given he gets off the bike before others that means he doesnt need to run as fast as them. ie sub 2:40

And even Lange didn't run that fast last year.  he did a 2:41.

So how you can claim he needs to run a sub 2:40, just doesn't add up in any way whatsoever.

And last year was a fast year at Kona.

Wurf ran 22 minutes slower than Lange last year. 

He also didn't sit behind someone for 180km like Lange did.  He had his nose into the wind all day.

I am tipping he won't be 22 minutes behind him this year.

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

Every I’m he has ever done he rides like that port Mac he nailed though.

so you are saying he’s jogging and soft pedalling to 746. 

Nah. The run was 1km short, as was the bike, so he soft pedalled & jogged to a ~7.51 ;)

In all seriousness, you'd think he could have probably knocked a few minutes off that bike time if he averaged his normal 310ish watts instead of high 280's. I wonder how that would have affected his run though..? Maybe he has found the right balance? He has said in the past that his bike effort was similar to the relative bike efforts of the others, but he just couldn't run yet...but I wonder if maybe he has found the right output? We will see in 3 weeks.

Talking of the run - to the eye, he looked really comfortable, which was probably the best thing to come out of his day. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Nah. The run was 1km short, as was the bike, so he soft pedalled & jogged to a ~7.51 ;)

In all seriousness, you'd think he could have probably knocked a few minutes off that bike time if he averaged his normal 310ish watts instead of high 280's. I wonder how that would have affected his run though..? Maybe he has found the right balance? He has said in the past that his bike effort was similar to the relative bike efforts of the others, but he just couldn't run yet...but I wonder if maybe he has found the right output? We will see in 3 weeks.

Talking of the run - to the eye, he looked really comfortable, which was probably the best thing to come out of his day. 

He will make the race very interesting, Assuming he is back from the swim pack what will they do when he comes past? Given that he has enough power to gap them, wold think Frodeno will be hoping AB jumps onto Wurf. 

I think Wurf can win, lots of his earlier IM the power file is big for first few hours and drops off, Port Mac he just kept nailing it all day and backed it with a run, so he is the real deal, but there is the dynamic of Kona being more of an out and our race with big power surges, though he will be the one handing them out, just how much is he hurting himself to do that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

He will make the race very interesting, Assuming he is back from the swim pack what will they do when he comes past? Given that he has enough power to gap them, wold think Frodeno will be hoping AB jumps onto Wurf. 

I think Wurf can win, lots of his earlier IM the power file is big for first few hours and drops off, Port Mac he just kept nailing it all day and backed it with a run, so he is the real deal, but there is the dynamic of Kona being more of an out and our race with big power surges, though he will be the one handing them out, just how much is he hurting himself to do that.

I reckon AB will stick like shit to Frodo. He’s raced Frodo for the last 12 years or so. Frodo probably has the same strengths and weaknesses as AB, so he has the most to learn this year off Frodo, including sticking with him. He probably (correctly) reckons that Frodo is still the man: the one to beat. 

Frodo would probably back himself to run Wurf down if he gets off the bike within 5 minutes. Probably within 10 minutes. Same as he’d back himself with similar margins off the bike to both Sanders and Keinle. Frodo would also back himself to stay away from Lange if he gets off the bike with a 5 minute margin.

So I reckon Wurf, Amberer and Starky will get away from the main pack out of the water and sanders and Kienle will try to bridge. When the later two come past the peleton Frodo and AB will jump on and try to break Lange. It will be interesting to see what role Dreitz plays this year. 

I reckon that wurf will lead starky and josh off the bike by 2-3 minutes, with Kienle, Sanders, Frodo, AB etc likely to be a couple of more minutes behind again. Hopefully Lange will be 10-15 behind Wurf without a free Andy Dreitz tow.

Edited by Andrew #1

44 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

can wurf swim front pack and why wouldn't AB join that party

He could try, but for the reasons I’ve suggested above I reckon he’ll be content to stick to Frodo, so if Frodo jumps he’ll try to go with him; however if Frodo decides to save his matches, I reckon he’ll follow suit.

AB may be a racer’s racer, but he knows that Kona is a different beastie than anything he’s tackled to date: he’s on record saying that he’s treating this year as a learning experience: and what better way to learn than shadowing ‘the man’.

Edited to add: AB is probably swimming faster than Frodo at the moment so he might try to get in the Amberger group, if for no other reason than to avoid the risk of an early drafting or blocking penalty as they loop around town before hitting the QueenK. Other than that he’ll have his eye out for Frodo I reckon.

Edited by Andrew #1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Has starky learnt to swim yet?

Was starky’s swimming ability ever in doubt?

51 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Was starky’s swimming ability ever in doubt?

He was 13th out of the water last year. He won’t be that high this year.  

Quote me on that. 

He’s nine minutes faster than o donnell and 8 over Lange.

will be interesting to see if he can replicate his better running this year at Kona.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

He was 13th out of the water last year. He won’t be that high this year.  

Quote me on that. 

Starky will either be in the front pack, if one forms to break away from the main pack, or at worst in the same pack containing Wurf. That’s enough for his game plan, isn’t it?

Of course, the real problem for Starky is in running under 3:30 off the bike in Kona. But as an extra set of legs he could well play a role in say Amberger and Wurf breaking away before Kienle and Sanders bridge to the peloton

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I loved the bit near the end when he ran over to the side of the road, lifted an industrial bin lid & threw his rubbish into it rather than just tossing it in a designated area for someone else to pick up. Also the bit where he was mucking around when Alex Zanardi went past him in the wheelchair.

I hope the other top guys were watching it.

Euro 2019 

The time has finally come for Fallon, Olive & I to head West again. In what's been our longest European stint thus far as a rolling circus we've also accomplished quite a bit since February.. Firstly we got Married, TWICE, become official resident's of Andorra, Olive had 7 months of un interrupted Dog swimming lessons, Fallon has been on the Deans roll of excellence for the first two semesters of the year studying wholistic nutrition, Ive broken my Nose & Rib in my first bike crash in 4 years, & I've won 2 Ironman's. All in all its been a rather productive start to the year for all of us. It's been a rather long time since i last wrote a blog which is largely due to the fact I've been flat out training a hell of a lot more than i have ever trained, specially running, that has really taken it out of me. Every time i started writing a blog I'd fall asleep so i just gave up. Now that I've finally had an easier week & a couple of days off I'm confident i can pound one out & give everyone a run down, pardon the pun, on what I've been up to. 

Wedding's 

After Ironman Australia Fallon & I embarked on our wedding tour. We had our first ceremony, the legal one, at home in Tasmania with my side of the family. Then a week later we travelled to the USA to get married in the eyes of the lord in a church with Fallon's family. Both where very simple services & for a reception we went out to a nice restaurant for a family dinner. I've never wanted for a big wedding & with family and friends all over the globe it gave us a headache figuring out where and when so we just went with simple by bringing the party to those closest to us. At the end of the day we really needed to have each other up there on that alter to say I do so anyone else who could make it was a massive bonus. I certainly appreciate now however how important it was for our parents to witness the occasion, that was really special to share with both sets of them & certainly very happy we didn't do what we originally planned & elope. Following our 2nd wedding we finally made it back to Andorra where we'd left olive 5 weeks earlier, she hadn't wanted to miss her swimming lessons & we had the band back together again. 

Crash & Roth 

I'm not a huge fan of travelling from the USA to Europe as the jet lag really kicks me in the backside. I'm useless for a couple of weeks so fortunately i have learnt from past experience & just go with it & enjoy sleeping in until midday, andorra is next to Spain after all. Sure enough after 10 days or so i started coming around until i got a nasty reminder that i was still a bit dopey! I was cruising through town with Pavel Sivakov & Jack Haig heading out for ride & following the car in front way to close. Sure enough someone wanted to cross the road so the car suddenly stopped & i went smack bang into the back of it. It looked a lot more messy than it really was but before i knew it i was having my first ride in an ambulance. The funny thing about that was I'd crash about 100m from the entrance to the hospital but as it was a one way street they had to take me for a joy ride around the block to admit me. I would've walked but was a bit groggy thanks to a mild concussion which gave me a headache for a few days, another first for me. 

Immediately my biggest concern was challenge Roth as it was only 3 weeks away. Fortunately the doctor told me I'd only make my fractured Nose & Rib worse if i crashed again so the question was how much pain i can deal with & you'll have a slower recovery. The fractures where not displaced so where not major so i decided I'd nurse myself through Roth then have a proper rest as planned before beginning the build up for kona. Sure enough Roth wasn't overly pretty. The broken rib meant my weak swim was rather embarrassing as i only had power in one weak arm as a-posed to my two weak arms I usually rely on. The bike wasn't much fun either & i was pretty crooked & twisted to find a manageable position but got through that the best i could. Once on the run i was a little more comfortable as i carry my arms rather high which braces my rib cage & was able to sneak onto the podium. After Roth i enjoyed a week completely off & another couple of weeks managing the rib & i finally started to heal up. I was good to go for the most exciting part of the year, the build up for kona!! 

Kona Build Up 

The rest did me the world of good & i began the crucial 8 week block feeling great. I hadn't done any intervals on my bike since august 2018 so was great to get stuck back into some climbing & TT efforts. This wasn't by choice, I'd simply been so tired all year from increasing the running volume that we didn't want to risk overload & increase the probability of injury. We felt if we spent the first 8 months building up my running stamina we'd have enough time to add the intensity on the bike & swimming back in & be ready in time for kona. I guess we will find out on October 12! But the logic makes sense i think. Work on your weakness but respecting the fact you suck at it! In that i mean give it all your energy to improve properly & then slowly re incorporate the other disciplines on top of that. Lets face it my running was rather terrible so we had to commit 100% if we where going to make some meaningful gains in that area this year. 

I obviously haven't raced anywhere near as much this year as in previous years. I've learnt a lot over the previous years with the large amount of racing I'd done so was time to lay some more foundations during the training phase as that's just difficult to do when your racing & recovering all the time. We also had a close look at when I'd done my best IM performances. In every case my best performances, Sweden & Wales in 2017, Zurich in 2018 & Port Macquarie earlier this year came 2-3 weeks after a race. Basically if i raced 2-3 weeks after another race i always did better in the 2nd race, guess its the cyclist in me. So we had a look at the IM schedule & IM Italy & Barcelona where right in my sweet spot.

I wanted to do Barcelona but Italy was a more logical choice as it meant I could visit the pinarello factory on my way to the race to collect my Kona bike & give it a proper test drive. Also the travel to kona is literally the other side of the world so racing Italy meant i could travel to kona this week and recover from my 8 weeks of intense training while easing the body into the new time zone. I'm a train-a-holic so was important mentally i felt I'd earn't a recovery week to not rush that process as it is something that knocks me around. I also wanted to leave Europe ready to go, ensure I'd done all the hard work & was simply a case of sharpening up & freshening up when i got to Kona. I've been in a fantastic training routine all year in Andorra so didn't want to disrupt that. All made perfect sense to me so IM Italy was set to be the final hit out before kona. 

IM Italy 

The race on the weekend obviously went a lot better than i expected although my personal objectives of how i wanted to race it went exactly to plan. I'm sure that doesn't make much sense so ill try & explain. The month of august was a very concentrated swimming block. I had my swimming coach Sean Kelly with me for the month & he brought Tom Hammer along to kick my backside in the pool. Tom is a paralymic athlete whom last week broke the 100m freestyle world record at the para world champs swimming 51.4 seconds!!! Yep he absolutely smashed me to pieces every single session, I couldn't even beat him with Fins on!! Anyways we had a great few weeks which I'm really proud to say we both benefited from judging by Tom's results last week. Watching this was so inspiring and had me chomping at the bit to test my swim in Italy. Unfortunately it was a wetsuit swim but still i got all the answers i was looking for as it was by far the best swim of my tri career. It felt so good to put all those 6k session's into practice & I was actually a bit disappointed when it was time to get out of the water as i was so excited swimming on the feet of Tim Don! Massive improvement for me. 

Thanks to my new found swimming arms i was at the front of the race pretty quickly. This was a welcome change as at my last race in Roth it took me 25km to catch Lucy Charles who's steamrolled over the top of me in the swim! In Italy it took me less than 25k to overtake former Olympic Swimmer Lukasz Wolt who'd put 2 minutes into our group. Amazing what those 6k swims will do for a bloke!! Once in the lead i did my best to keep my foot on there throats & extend my lead as much as possible. Being a 2 lap course & beautiful Italian country roads i knew it would get a little crowded on the second lap with the age groupers making it more difficult to increase the advantage. I'd already crashed once this year & suffered those consequences in Roth, I didn't want to go through that again for Kona. I made hay while the sun shined as they say on the first lap & put myself in what i felt was a commanding position. 

This meant the 2nd lap i could just enjoy the experience of the race, take in the beautiful Italian countryside & being among the people, had quite a few great conversations on the climb in particular. With my socialising completed i headed back to town for the final 20k which was again on empty roads allowing me to open the throttle a little bit again just to pad that advantage out a bit more. I hit T2 feeling great, the new bike had been flawless & with zero pain in my lower back that we'd feared from the new handlebar. I was very very happy. Honestly i was also relieved as i always feel very vulnerable on the bike worrying about a crash or flat tire. I'm always relieved sticking the pinarello back on the T2 rack for the day. 

Once on the run i felt like i was again completely in control of the rest of the race. I've averaged 100km per week this year so running is probably the thing that feels most comfortable for me at the moment. I had a pretty simple objective on the run. Win the race. Normally i go out all guns blazing leading to equally spectacular blow ups. This time i decided to back myself & wait for them to catch me & have the energy to respond if need be. Sure enough in the first lap local hero Molinari slashed my lead from 8 minutes to 6 minutes. I thought I better get moving as if he keeps that up he'll catch me on the last lap. Then i realised i was running at 2:44 pace so I'd just stick to my comfy tempo & assess the situation the next lap. 

Sure enough the gap went back out to over 8 minutes. Same tactics for the 3rd lap & the gap was out to 10minutes! This was a first for me increasing my lead on the run. Secretly i knew the run course record was 2:47 & if i could get this without digging too deep I'd be really satisfied with my day. I maintained my 2:44 tempo for the last lap & even allowed myself to back it off a bit in the closing 5k to enjoy the ambiance with all the age group athletes now on course & a fanatical Italian crowd getting loader & loader as the afternoon wore on. Down the finish chute & a quick check of the watch told me the run record was mine so then i could enjoy a long celebration down the red carpet. I lived in Italy for 8 years during my cycling years so the Italians obviously adopted me for the day & really made me feel special & showed there appreciation for the records I'd set on there course. Italians love winners & they really love new records! After winning IM Australia earlier in the year I feel like i've won my other Home race in Italy on Saturday, was really special. 

So that's that, Euro 2019 comes to an end. We are nearly landed in the USA & after 3 days in LA to break up the trip & enjoy some rides on some of my favourite routes we'll be in kona on Friday. I'm well aware there are a lot of people scratching there head about the weekend & why I'd race an IM 3 weeks out from the biggest race of the year. Basically we don't look at it that way, we saw it as merely apart of what we believe to be my best preparation. Everyone has an opinion & I realise it's unorthodox for the sport. Having said that no one else in the pro field on October 12 have a Olympic rowing background or world tour cycling experience. We are obviously going to have completely different ideas about how to train & freshen up & whats works for me certainly wont work for them & vice versa. I have no idea what will happen on October 12. All i know is I've done everything we've set out to do & i cannot wait for the cannon to fire on Kona pier on October 12. Around 8hrs later, probably less looking at the strength of this field, we are going to have all the answers & that excites me big time! 

CJW 

Sent from my iPad

• Like 6

I’m yet to watch but just noticed it. 

3hr old 

• Like 1

Just saw on strava he is in Kona now just rolling around on a roadie.  Another 138k in the bank for him.

No TT training.  Saving himself for raceday?

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

No TT training.

Does he do much training on the Tri bike (on the road)? Back in the day most saved race bike for race day.

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Does he do much training on the Tri bike (on the road)? Back in the day most saved race bike for race day.

I stalk him but not that closely.  ha

Wurf Strava today says Reed road him off his wheel. Go Tim, be awesome see him in position to have a dual with likes of Currie and Sebbi off bike. 

17 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Wurf Strava today says Reed road him off his wheel. Go Tim, be awesome see him in position to have a dual with likes of Currie and Sebbi off bike. 

Wurf is the king of taking the piss. Tipping Reed was happy just to hang with wurf

Saw video of weiss dropping cam.  Guessing weiss is still on his drug program.  

On 06/10/2019 at 12:43 PM, Bored@work said:

Wurf is the king of taking the piss. Tipping Reed was happy just to hang with wurf

Good point, nothing he says should be taken seriously. He always chimes in on the other pros social media to have a niggle.

On 06/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, Peter said:

Saw video of weiss dropping cam.  Guessing weiss is still on his drug program.  

Where was that?