Peter

Wurf watch

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

I hope you aren't comparing Wurf (or Lionel) to 'That' tennis player.  I couldn't think of a bigger insult

They'd love his income though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They'd love his income though.

He was fined more today than they have won in prize money combined.  

I am comparing as in they all have a personality 

On bergs  Instagram story he does a great chat and burns wurf.  Enjoyed it.  

Gone in a few hours. How’s the time. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

On bergs  Instagram story he does a great chat and burns wurf.  Enjoyed it.  

Gone in a few hours. How’s the time. 

That was very funny.

I assume they typed Cam for Camilla Pederson and autocomplete got them.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

After running 6kms a couple of hours earlier, this happened.

Nice run.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 6.46.29 pm.png

Pffft not one KOM...... 

Banter on twitter between Lucy Charles and Cam is funny.

Fascinating the hours he is putting in. 27hr not including stretching and all the other stuff pros do. 

324EAB9F-61DE-49D3-B30D-F7D4B521F543.jpeg

I wonder if Cam risks leaving himself a little underdone on the bike. 21km swimming and 104km running seems to be on the money, but 360km on the bike seems a little light on for a pro in what must be his peak over distance training block.

I wonder whether he’s done another ‘sneaky’ 3-5 hours of quality on the kickr on top of those 360 road kilometres. That would make sense.

30 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I wonder if Cam risks leaving himself a little underdone on the bike. 21km swimming and 104km running seems to be on the money, but 360km on the bike seems a little light on for a pro in what must be his peak over distance training block.

I wonder whether he’s done another ‘sneaky’ 3-5 hours of quality on the kickr on top of those 360 road kilometres. That would make sense.

or he's having a reduced week before he starts his last big block of training. 

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

or he's having a reduced week before he starts his last big block of training. 

500 so far this week - reasonably solid

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 7.22.08 pm.png

Checking his sessions on strava I noticed that Cam did a 3 hours 35 minute Kickr session which he logged on strava about 10 days ago. It only registered as a 5km session, lol. That would account for another 120km worth of cycling work to that 360km week just by itself ...

Didnt Trannies fountain of all outdated knowledge say that nobody has, nor ever will win Kona by training in their paincave on a trainer/Zwift...

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Didnt Trannies fountain of all outdated knowledge say that nobody has, nor ever will win Kona by training in their paincave on a trainer/Zwift...

I don’t think that anyone - let alone a Trannie Fountain of all knowledge - has ever suggested that using a trainer in a pain cave - isn’t an important training tool for IM, or that no Kona winner would use one. The point was more along the lines of ‘no one will win Kona doing all their bike training on a trainer/Zwift’.

Well Lionel has gone close. Andy Potts is having a 40s renaissance doing nearly all his bike training on a indoor trainer.

However, there seems to be a concessus that some road riding is important because you can only take simulated training so far. Even Lionel now subscribes to this approach and I’ve heard Potts say he makes sure he gets outdoors at least 1-2 times per week in the lead up to a big race.

On the other hand, there has been a noticeable move by dedicated ‘road only’ Ironman triathletes to use the new ergo trainers and programs like trainer road and Zwift on a regular basis. I’d say that 1-2 key sessions of between 1-2hrs each would be a typical indoor regime - even for those athletes who don’t generally favour riding indoors.

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

The point was more along the lines of ‘no one will win Kona doing all their bike training on a trainer/Zwift’.

Yep.  But they are all using Zwift / trainers now.  In an interview I think with Bob Babbit it Tim Reed said, that when he first went to Boulder, everyone trained together outside.

But now everyone pretty much sticks to themselves and trains indoors a lot on trainers and treadmills.

He said he had to adapt and join them, but said it sucks because he would much prefer to be outside.

No the point was more along the lines of "People who do hill repeats in the rain are those who are mentally tough enough to do what's required. While the ppl who like the comfort of training in their warm, dry garage on zwift will be watching Kona on the net.

Which is absolute BS

• Like 1

Can't you arguably get a much better and consistent training session indoor than outside? I mean, no coasting, no stopping your set for cars or traffic lights etc etc. 

8 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Can't you arguably get a much better and consistent training session indoor than outside? I mean, no coasting, no stopping your set for cars or traffic lights etc etc. 

Winner, winner!!! Chicken dinner.

Yep & it's a lot easier to hold the target wattage, cadence etc

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Winner, winner!!! Chicken dinner.

Yep & it's a lot easier to hold the target wattage, cadence etc

Except that ‘real world’ conditions are asymmetrical in a way that Zwift - TrainerRoad etc can only approximate. Still worth doing some training outside. Especially those longer aerobic sessions to break up the monotony 

For me I do 100% indoors because of time constraints. 3-5 hours of TrainerRoad on my kickr each week is more than enough for my level of commitment and also for safety. I only cycle outside when racing these days. For the past 12 months Ive done f#&k all of anything, but am about to start another ~20 week block up to the Long Course Weekend, Callala Bay & xmas. The program will start at 3hrs er week and top out at just under 6hrs on the kickr, plus up to 12km swimming and up to about 35km running per week. The aim is to bike 90km in just under 3hrs, swim 4km in about 1:05 and do the half marathon option in about 2:10hrs.  Anyway that’s the plan. 

In some parallel universe where I was training for more than just shits and giggles and wasn’t time constrained, I’d probably do about 25% more volume on the kickr but find somewhere relevant to do another 5-10 hours riding on the road each week. ****ed if I know how Lionel and Andy etc can do 10-15 hours on the kickr each week, all year round. Does this make them mentally tough? Or just mad? 

I never said Zwift should replace riding on the road.

My favourite training session is the Saturday roadie bunch ride. Turned myself inside out last week chasing a KOM & then went to the bakery for a donut.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I never said Zwift should replace riding on the road.

My favourite training session is the Saturday roadie bunch ride. Turned myself inside out last week chasing a KOM & then went to the bakery for a donut.

What type of donut.  It’s very important

• Like 1

Its so Interesting to see a professionals training run 

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Its so Interesting to see a professionals training run 

A 3hr Marathon, up a mountain!!!

His run has seriously come a long way in the last 10 months. The signs were starting to appear at Busso, he is really starting to line himself up as a contender for Kona. 

I hope he pulls the pin at 21km into the run.  

Unless he is winning. 

Interested to see how he approaches the run considering how close Kona is.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Interested to see how he approaches the run considering how close Kona is.

They just said he is running 3.50k pace. 

His 3 splits so far to 10km were 3:53, 3:52, 3:53. He seems very controlled.

One of the Italians started catching early, but with 3:40, 3:47, 3:51, I'm interested to see how the next split finds them.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

His 3 splits so far to 10km were 3:53, 3:52, 3:53. He seems very controlled.

One of the Italians started catching early, but with 3:40, 3:47, 3:51, I'm interested to see how the next split finds them.

Nice call.

3.57 to 4.03

9 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Nice call.

3.57 to 4.03

3:54 for Wurf's next, and 4:07 for Giulio. Looking good.

I’m almost want him to win Kona just to prove everyone wrong. Fark me these 2 are just bagging him racing so close to kona.  

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’m almost want him to win Kona just to prove everyone wrong. Fark me these 2 are just bagging him racing so close to kona.  

'merica

He seems to know what he's doing and cam has some good people behind him as well

2 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Wurf's on track for 7.50ish.

If he doesn't ease off, or slow, he's on pace for 2:45:xx

Taking a lead from the Noosa thread, I wonder how Giulio felt when the lead woman ran past him? Admittedly a lap behind, but she still ran past.