Peter

Wurf watch

On 05/03/2019 at 12:23 PM, altayloraus said:

Lads, lightweight rowing is still in the Olympics, and will be until Tokyo when they get binned because the IOC is seeking to remove weight classes in everything other than combat sports. I think he was a little along the track with rowing when he was at Sydney - given he went to junior worlds in 2001, it'd be pretty unlikely that he hadn't picked up a stick.

Having said that, Kim Brennan went from never having rowed to a senior Worlds medal in that sort of time period.

Agreed generally that he'd have been a good IP candidate in 06, though I'm not sure how good the sports transfer system was then at the tute!

Kim Brennan was also recovering from dating one of the most ordinary blokes around ... fuel for the burn!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, peteb said:

Probably because individual pursuit hasn’t been Olympic event since 2008. 

I actually mistyped - I meant the Teams Pursuit.

On 04/04/2019 at 4:48 PM, Rimmer said:

Kim Brennan was also recovering from dating one of the most ordinary blokes around ... fuel for the burn!

Poor lass, an uncharacteristic lapse in judgement on her behalf.

2 hours ago, Nick777 said:

Nice HR vs Watts

Wurf Watts.png

Pretty similar to my metrics, but I'm using an optical wrist HR so all shit..

2k 107k 16k

bike hilly AF

cannes international triathlon. 

Few guns there with him. 

Live tonight. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

2k 107k 16k

bike hilly AF

cannes international triathlon. 

Few guns there with him. 

Live tonight. 

Moving reasonably well - Tim Don stayed with him on the bike once Cam caught him, but he's been dropped by Cam on the run.

Interesting to see if he can hang on.

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Where is it broadcast?

NSW and Vic only.  

It’s over. 

Wurf won. 

3021268D-5A9D-48BB-BB13-B5C91B019E56.jpeg

Edited by Peter

Impressive and balanced all round performance by Wurf. Sub 6minute mile run pace and cracked Don - one of the all time great triathlon runners - on the run.

Whilst Cam’s run split was only 9th fastest he was within 70 seconds of the 3rd fastest split.

Tyler Butterfield was impressive with a 55minute run - 5.30 minute miles all the way!

12 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

That's a strange looking dinger though. 

Well he does spend a lot of time on the bike 😂

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

That's a strange looking dinger though. 

I’m pretty sure that’s a sketch diagram of Lance Armstrong’s undercarriage circa August 1996.

• Haha 1

And he’s been training and testing at Nike headquarters as well I beleive - he is really focusing on the run at the moment - will be interesting to see what he can do.

2 hours ago, The new guy said:

And he’s been training and testing at Nike headquarters as well I beleive - he is really focusing on the run at the moment - will be interesting to see what he can do.

Well his biking is there. 

Swim bloody close not that it matters as he rides past everyone anyway.  

Yeah a week ago I think I saw on Insta - wedged it in between run sessions.

Im actually really keen to see what he does at Roth this year - I have a feeling he has started turning the corner this year after Busso and Port performances - he almost believes he can run now.

8 minutes ago, The new guy said:

Yeah a week ago I think I saw on Insta - wedged it in between run sessions.

Im actually really keen to see what he does at Roth this year - I have a feeling he has started turning the corner this year after Busso and Port performances - he almost believes he can run now.

For a night non german to with roth is more impressive than winning kona.  

The bonuses the getmans must have would drive them to bury themselves compared to bonuses wurf would be on.  

Wurf sat down with Triathlon Taren for a talk on the weekend: https://triathlontarenpodcast.libsyn.com/im-kona-bike-course-record-holder-pro-triathlete-cam-wurf (interview starts about 5:05 in with the guts of it starting around 20 mins in)

Some interesting insights from Wurf - particularly the stuff around why he is better at triathlon than other more high profile cycling like Andrew Talansky. 

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Wurf sat down with Triathlon Taren for a talk on the weekend: https://triathlontarenpodcast.libsyn.com/im-kona-bike-course-record-holder-pro-triathlete-cam-wurf (interview starts about 5:05 in with the guts of it starting around 20 mins in)

Some interesting insights from Wurf - particularly the stuff around why he is better at triathlon than other more high profile cycling like Andrew Talansky. 

Yeah that was a great interview. 

Also so his comments on doping were enlightening.

I wonder if Wurf is on these given Sky have been for years with Froome and Wurf's close connection with them.

The use of ketones among the professional peloton has been linked to several WorldTour teams in recent years, dating back to the 2012 Olympic Games in London. It has also been suggested that ketone supplements have been used at the Team Sky and QuickStep teams in previous years.

In July 2015, Sporza reported that Belgian coach Paul van den Bosch suggested that Chris Froome use ketone supplements. At that time, however, Team Sky team manager Dave Brailsford deniedto Cyclingnews that his riders had ever used ketones. Froome also denied that he'd had such a conversation with Van den Bosch.

Wurf/Starky/Sanders/Seb might also need to watch this guy if he comes to Ironman

Marcin Białobłocki is the fastest rider ever over 160km, on a pair of of brand new disc brake AEOX TITAN and AEOX Disc wheels!

Finishing in an amazing time of 3:13:37, that gives an average speed of 49.9kph! Or 19:21 for 10 miles, repeated 10 times 😱

Marcin was riding a Pinarello Bolide TR+ bike - who said disc brake bikes weren't fast 

What's the slowest run time of previous winners in the last 20 years? I reckon he could step off and run 3.15 and be in with a chance :lol:

6 hours ago, willie said:

What's the slowest run time of previous winners in the last 20 years? I reckon he could step off and run 3.15 and be in with a chance :lol:

2004. Stadler with a 2:57:52. He still beat Pete Reid by 10 minutes that year.

21 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

2004. Stadler with a 2:57:52. He still beat Pete Reid by 10 minutes that year.

The Norminator! I wasnt even legally allowed to drink back then 😮 I don't think I knew what Kona was... Had I known the year after was the last at Forster I would've done it. I was up there to watch, but could've been just 18 and raced.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, willie said:

The Norminator! I wasnt even legally allowed to drink back then 😮 I don't think I knew what Kona was... Had I known the year after was the last at Forster I would've done it. I was up there to watch, but could've been just 18 and raced.

I trained with the Norminator on the Forster course at a HERT camp in February that year: he’d just flown in from a T-Mobile early spring training camp in Mallorca - 1800km in 10 days of cycling. He’d gotten the invite because both T-Mobile and he were sponsored by Nestle (Powerbars). He came out to Oz for the same reason - Nestle was working in with Mark Newton who ran HERT and Nestle arranged for Mark to bike fit, test and write programs for him for the year.

Although Norman ‘only’ ran a 2:58 he probably had 5 minutes in hand - he’d gotten a 23 minute gap on the bike but he did what Sarah True should have done in Frankfurt: - when he had the race won with 8 miles to go from the energy lap turn around - he simply walked, hydrated and consumed a lot of coke through the aid stations and effectively jogged between aid stations. 

20 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I trained with the Norminator on the Forster course at a HERT camp in February that year: he’d just flown in from a T-Mobile early spring training camp in Mallorca - 1800km in 10 days of cycling. He’d gotten the invite because both T-Mobile and he were sponsored by Nestle (Powerbars). He came out to Oz for the same reason - Nestle was working in with Mark Newton who ran HERT and Nestle arranged for Mark to bike fit, test and write programs for him for the year.

Although Norman ‘only’ ran a 2:58 he probably had 5 minutes in hand - he’d gotten a 23 minute gap on the bike but he did what Sarah True should have done in Frankfurt: - when he had the race won with 8 miles to go from the energy lap turn around - he simply walked, hydrated and consumed a lot of coke through the aid stations and effectively jogged between aid stations. 

So he looked fresh at the finish?

Mission accomplished. :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yep. He was walking with a huge grin and high giving spectators from the top of Palani. Of course, that was an added bonus, because unlike Sarah he actually finished. ...

11 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Did you happen to do the ride with Norman and the HERT group to Pheasants Nest many years ago. 

14 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Of course he trained with T Mobile, fresh.

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Did you happen to do the ride with Norman and the HERT group to Pheasants Nest many years ago. 

No. But I heard all about the epic turns that Normie took at the front. 

Also how much of it did Richie Porte do. 

so they rode the same stretch of road like 5 or 6  times?  (3 return trips)

3 hours ago, trifun said:

so they rode the same stretch of road like 5 or 6  times?  (3 return trips)

11 times up & back by the looks of it 

Notice the difference in total 2019 km on their respective strava files?

Approx 11,000 for Cam, versus 23,000 for Richie. Or ~400 per week for Wurf versus ~800km for Porte

I assume each have also have done around 3-5 hours per week on the indoor trainer as well, but Richie hasn’t run the 3,000km Cam has or swam the 500km in the pool this either.

Even if he doesnt win kona, I love how guys like him and Lionel are "Out there" with what they do and say what they think.

It's why I sorta like "That" tennis player.

I'm over boring vanilla people

4 hours ago, Peter said:

It's why I sorta like "That" tennis player.

I hope you aren't comparing Wurf (or Lionel) to 'That' tennis player.  I couldn't think of a bigger insult