Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Wurf watch

13 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

And the feelings and HR match with the kickr 

Nah he meant its turned off 😛

On 25/11/2018 at 8:46 AM, trilobite said:

That said, I understand Dalian Wanda (ie ultimate owner of WTC) has had Sep Blatter’s (of FIFA scandal fame) on the payroll.

Of course, stories have been circulating about WTC being up for sale again...

Not Sepp, but his nephew.

On 25/11/2018 at 8:46 AM, trilobite said:

That said, I understand Dalian Wanda (ie ultimate owner of WTC) has had Sep Blatter’s (of FIFA scandal fame) on the payroll.

Of course, stories have been circulating about WTC being up for sale again...

Not Sepp, but his nephew.

I had a good back and forth with cam on the return leg of my 2nd lap his 4th.  We passed each other a few times.  Ran into him in recovery and apologised if it pissed him off.  He said he would of told me if it did.  Seems like a nice bloke.

• Like 1

Wonder what his season is gonna look like now if he's already qualified?  He's raced an absolute bucket load, way more than most would have.  But he can sit on his arse now till October if he wants to.

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

I had a good back and forth with cam on the return leg of my 2nd lap his 4th.  We passed each other a few times.  Ran into him in recovery and apologised if it pissed him off.  He said he would of told me if it did.  Seems like a nice bloke.

I assume that was before you slowed to 5min/km mate?

1 hour ago, Hoffy86 said:

I was just happy I didn't walk the last 20k after beating your bike pb.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, goughy said:

Wonder what his season is gonna look like now if he's already qualified?  He's raced an absolute bucket load, way more than most would have.  But he can sit on his arse now till October if he wants to.

Probably wont change much, he has said he prefers to do his long runs in races. 

13 hours ago, Hoffy86 said:

I assumed it was on the bike.

I'm disappointed now Brett. :(

• Haha 1

I dont think I could have faced it if Starky had held on over the weekend...

32 minutes ago, pieman said:

I dont think I could have faced it if Starky had held on over the weekend...

I would have loved it.  He has won heaps.

Two big stories from IMNZ

The biggest margin off the bike to lose ever.

Cameron Brown's career for Ironman is over.

Cameron Brown’s career was over 10 years ago, but someone forgot to tell him that fact. 

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Cameron Brown’s career was over 10 years ago, but someone forgot to tell him that fact. 

He’s still been making great coin. 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Well they are both vying for the right to win the bike prime.

When the trade winds blow - as they wil, this year - and the TA’s and other bikers crack down on Lange’s tactics - as I hope they will then Cam will come off the bike with a 12+ minute lead and I’m predicting he runs sub 2:50 this year. That will take a lot of beating. Stary may be with Cam of the bike, but hes only good for a 3:30 marathon split in the Kona heat. Big difference.

Just now, Peter said:

He’s still been making great coin

Yep. Just like Bill Rogers and Frank Shorter did on the big cities marathon circuit in the US in the 1980s and 1990s: and not a sub 2:20 marathon between them over that period. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

When the trade winds blow - as they wil, this year - and the TA’s and other bikers crack down on Lange’s tactics - as I hope they will then Cam will come off the bike with a 12+ minute lead and I’m predicting he runs sub 2:50 this year. That will take a lot of beating. Stary may be with Cam of the bike, but hes only good for a 3:30 marathon split in the Kona heat. Big difference.

How does that deal with Frodeno, Sanders and Keinle

Cam Brown had the fastest run on the day 2:41:55 and came 3rd overall. Not bad for a 46 year old.

2 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Cam Brown had the fastest run on the day 2:41:55 and came 3rd overall. Not bad for a 46 year old.

Are you high?

33 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Couldn't break 3.00 on an "easy" bike year yet he is going to put down a monster split in the wind, gap the field and run 2.50?  I doubt it.

I ran with him for a few k at busso.  He doesn't move like a good runner.  Bazzone passed me with authority and ease.  Cam and I swapped places for 8k.  I don't see that same guy runnung 4.00ks on the queen k.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Frodeno will never win Kona again. He’s too old. 

Feel free to quote me on this. 

Mind you, I still can’t believe Lange has won twice. 

Sanders farked it In 2017

Bart farked it in 2018

7 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

What race did you watch?

the one I watched he didn’t finish.  Didn’t even do 4K of the run he was so far behind. 

Edited by Peter

Just now, Peter said:

Frodeno will never win Kona again. He’s too old. 

Feel free to quote me on this. 

Mind you, I still can’t believe Lange has won twice. 

Sanders farked it In 2017

Bart farked it in 2018

What race did you watch?

the one I watched he didn’t finish.  Didn’t even start the run he was so far behind. 

Come on October

Yes indeed. 

Time for a new men’s winner. 

When you select "Latest Results" on the Ironman web site it brings up the results for 2018. My bad in thinking that WTC would have an up to date web site.

Does anyone know what happened to Cam Brown? He has a 2019 result for the swim and bike, but no run.

20 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

thinking that WTC would have an up to date web site.

Joke of the year already :D

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I don’t think either sanders or Keinle will necessarily be with Cam off the bike. Frodo certainly won’t. More likely that Cam will be 4-5 minutes ahead of Sanders and Keinle by T2 and several more minutes on Frodo. 

I reckon cam runs smooth enough to work his way down to 2:50 in Kona while conceding he’ll never be a 2:40 guy. He sure as shit moves more smoothly than Sanders. Having those type of gaps off the bike and then laying down a 2:50 marathon will certainly put the pressure on ‘the runners’ to come through and win. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Couldn't break 3.00 on an "easy" bike year yet he is going to put down a monster split in the wind, gap the field and run 2.50?  I doubt it.

I ran with him for a few k at busso.  He doesn't move like a good runner.  Bazzone passed me with authority and ease.  Cam and I swapped places for 8k.  I don't see that same guy runnung 4.00ks on the queen k.

He’s showing a huge progression on the run. He’ll never be a 2:40 runner, but 2:50 - he’s nearly there outside Kona now on the back of massive record breaking bike splits. So. It’s possible,  

9 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

He’s showing a huge progression on the run. He’ll never be a 2:40 runner, but 2:50 - he’s nearly there outside Kona now on the back of massive record breaking bike splits. So. It’s possible,  

He is also working on his run with the Nike team, and hitting up some running only events now he has qualified.

Roth will be a good indication of where he is at.

One thing about Wurf is he has a PLAN.

Something Sanders didn't have last year.

Wurf has been on the constant improve over the last 18 months.  18 months in the sport.

He is doing incredibly well given his time doing Triathlons.

It's no sekrit I want him to win Kona.

But it's still a few years off.

Lange's slave Andi or Bart will win in 2019.

Wurf's recent interview on the Tower26 is really insightful as to how he approaches sport. Well "wurf" a listen!

Quite interesting regarding his rowing career...he was spectating at the 2000 Olympics and got interested in rowing..18 months later he's in the olympic squad. 

Guess he's super talented but also willing to put in insane amount of work. 

Edited by dazmuzza

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Quite interesting regarding his rowing career...he was spectating at the 2000 Olympics and got interested in rowing..18 months later he's in the olympic squad. 

Guess he's super talented but also willing to put in insane amount of work. 

I am amazed actually that when the IOC canned the Light Weight rowing class events for the Olympics in 2006 that the AIS didn’t talent identify Wurf as an individual pursuiter: going on the rivet for 6minutes in a boat would have massive cross over potential for someone tasked with doing 4 minutes au bloc on a track bike ...

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

I am amazed actually that when the IOC canned the Light Weight rowing class events for the Olympics in 2006 that the AIS didn’t talent identify Wurf as an individual pursuiter: going on the rivet for 6minutes in a boat would have massive cross over potential for someone tasked with doing 4 minutes au bloc on a track bike ...

Listen to the interview.  He talks about how he swapped from rowing to cycling. 

You can download it too. Podcast 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Listen to the interview.  He talks about how he swapped from rowing to cycling. 

You can download it too. Podcast 

I’ll watch the interview shortly, but I’ve heard him interviewed before about that. It all seemed to come down to his personal fascination with road cycling, no initiative shown by the AIS, which is curious because I know for a fact that the AIS had a large adult talent identification program in the mid 2000s targeting athletes from one sport who might be better at another sport and I would have thought that a 23 year old Wurf would have been a prime target for our track pursuit cycling program.

Edited by Andrew #1

Having watched that podcast now, I didn’t realise he claimed to switch whilst recovering from a rowing injury. Must have been a coincidence that this was the same period that the IOC scrapped the light weight rowing programme at the Olympics 

Lads, lightweight rowing is still in the Olympics, and will be until Tokyo when they get binned because the IOC is seeking to remove weight classes in everything other than combat sports. I think he was a little along the track with rowing when he was at Sydney - given he went to junior worlds in 2001, it'd be pretty unlikely that he hadn't picked up a stick.

Having said that, Kim Brennan went from never having rowed to a senior Worlds medal in that sort of time period.

Agreed generally that he'd have been a good IP candidate in 06, though I'm not sure how good the sports transfer system was then at the tute!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick777 said:

37k today...

Thats a long swim. ;) 

On 05/03/2019 at 4:51 PM, Andrew #1 said:

Probably because individual pursuit hasn’t been Olympic event since 2008.