Sign in to follow this  
Scottz

Noosa wave times

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not Noosa Tri wave starts tend to be fairly consistent or not? 

I did the bike leg (only) in a team this year and nearly died from the heat. I’m doing 2019 as my first full triathlon next year and am trying to decide whether I go with S4S or individual, and am largely basing this on wave start, which I know is not available until ~2 weeks out. So, what have the wave times been like in past years? 

Also I’m 32yo. Thanks 

It's random pot luck. They try to mix them up from year to year. If your age group had an early-ish start this year, chances are it might be a later one next year. 

If you are intending to be a fundraiser / fancy the "VIP" benefits that go with (suit, drinking area, bike racking), then  their go that route.

If just wanting a good wave - these rotate each year, you can always take a look at the times on the day they are released and apply to change (just pony up the extra 1100) -  talking to a WA bloke who entered 4 weeks out along with a couple of mates (they just "sponsored" each other and claimed it as a tax deduction ie it cost about 300 in real money to get the bike rack and wave start (you can ascribe $ amounts to the other benefits)).

Lots of slow pokes in the charity waves IMHO

Sign up in mates. When the waves come out if your age group is earlier by a time that makes a difference to you transfer into that. You can’t do it the other way around as mates fills up quickly.

Go 'Premium mates', instead of regular 'mates' to guarantee an early wave... at a price. Extra $80 or so, I think. The normal 'mates'wave is just in the random wave time lottery with the AG's isn't it?

Where do you live Scottz?

Is it down south or are you up here. If you're from SEQ, then you'll know that last weekend was hotter than normal. The chances of the same temp next year are low, but even so, get out & do some training in the heat to get used to it. You never know, you may even enjoy it.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Where do you live Scottz?

Is it down south or are you up here. If you're from SEQ, then you'll know that last weekend was hotter than normal. The chances of the same temp next year are low, but even so, get out & do some training in the heat to get used to it. You never know, you may even enjoy it.

Noosa is usually hot and humid, you'll just have to suck it up.

Thanks for the replies all. Lol Brett... that did actually feel welcoming to read. Thanks!

What is premium mates, or mates for that matter? Ive seen that’s a different wave to S4S. 

I live in Brisbane and I like heat. I babied myself with water/food/electrolytes last weekend and still felt like death. I’ve never feared heat until after that. It wasn’t because I’m soft, that heat was F’d and I need to not struggle that way next year....

5 minutes ago, Scottz said:

Thanks for the replies all. Lol Brett... that did actually feel welcoming to read. Thanks!

What is premium mates, or mates for that matter? Ive seen that’s a different wave to S4S. 

I live in Brisbane and I like heat. I babied myself with water/food/electrolytes last weekend and still felt like death. I’ve never feared heat until after that. It wasn’t because I’m soft, that heat was F’d and I need to not struggle that way next year....

Mates is for people that don't care about racing in their age group and would rather just race against family/ friends/ clubmates. Helps if you have extra cash too as it costs more. Premium mates is even more expensive and I think that is because they always get an early wave start.

To be honest, the heat wasn't even that bad on Sunday, max temp was 29 deg. You should be used to that coming from Brisbane.

4 hours ago, AA7 said:

Mates is for people that don't care about racing in their age group and would rather just race against family/ friends/ clubmates. Helps if you have extra cash too as it costs more. Premium mates is even more expensive and I think that is because they always get an early wave start.

To be honest, the heat wasn't even that bad on Sunday, max temp was 29 deg. You should be used to that coming from Brisbane.

Didn’t AP once make some comment about there not being any fans in Kona when asked about using them for windtrainer sets?

Edited by trilobite

6 hours ago, AA7 said:

Man, what time were you running?? It was ROASTING at 11am!!

1 hour ago, Ms M said:

Man, what time were you running?? It was ROASTING at 11am!!

I finished at about 10.20am. 

9 hours ago, AA7 said:

'Premium mates' is definitely more expensive and guarantees an early start (after elites and opens, and maybe Smiddy). I thought the other 'mates' was just normal price, but could be wrong.