goughy

Legal'ish advice (regarding an eBay purchase)

Ok, silly'ish asking here.  It's should ask my lawyer (a mate of mine who said to send info to him in the morning and I will be) or the cops (I rang a detective mate who said they get these sorts of things all the time and can do nothing and should ignore him).

Anyway, short story: bought robot vacuum on eBay, didn't work properly (also wasn't in stated condition but we ignored that).  Filmed it not working properly, eventually it wouldn't work at all.  Seller said we just didn't know how to use it and that they had a 60min vid of it working (never showed us).  In the end a suitable solution was not offered so my wife started a dispute without eBay.  As soon as she did that he stopped all contact.  In the end eBay found in our favour and that he was to refund us and if he wanted it back had to also part the shipping.  He still ignored that, so after 5 days what refunded us we don't need to send it back.

A couple of days after the refund he stated contact again and began threatening.  Obviously we contacted what about this, ask his contact has been within the eBay messaging system so they can see all this.  They assured Robyn that once the dispute prices was started (which we were in our right to do) all decisions were up to them alone and they will stand behind us and also review their contact with us.

He started claiming he will contact our police Dept, and the courts to have her charged with fraud.  He will also contact ask the online communities my wife is associated with altering them to her behaviour and will also release her private info (phone number etc etc) online.  Worst of all, he threatened to contact her husband (me) to let me know if her behaviour.

He's just contacted us again, threatening to have his solicitor begin proceedings in the morning, that he's tracked is both and know who we are and where we work and will go at is hard, continuing to insert himself into our lives.  One of the last messages (he's just sent I think three in the last hour) does mention returning it at his cost.

My wife started tracking him after his first message yesterday, found an ABN attached to him and then several businesses and po boxes.  At least 3 of those businesses are "short term loan" businesses.

Now, she's as stubborn as a mule and doesn't want to send it as she thinks he'll just claim we broke it and start up shit anyway.  We do think he's trying to scare the shit out of us.  His latest messages basically claim it will be a misery for us.  My main concern is that he is involved in a "grubby" type of business and that he is as stubborn as my wife is.  So far we have been ignoring his messages.  He's giving her till the morning to get back in touch, and I doubt my mate will have looked at anything by then.

Sorry to be a pain, but WTF should she/we be doing?

He's now started sending her messages containing content that my wife posted on other sites.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, goughy said:

(I rang a detective mate who said they get these sorts of things all the time and can do nothing and should ignore him).

Keep the records. 

Tell him to stop. 

If he persists, file a report. 

Even if you call Policelink 131444, get something on the system. 

Respond to him......”Bring it on!!!!!” Show him your not going to be pushed around. 

Do all communications through the eBay site only so that there is a record. Anything outside of this ignore.

Robyn just got up, and I told her to tell him we are waiting to hear back from our solicitor with what he recommends as our course of action.

Duck me this is stupid.  Right now, with him offering to now pay the return shipping, we are exactly where we could have been a week ago.  Rob's not keen to ship it back as she doesn't want him saying we broke or damaged it or something.  Not that him saying that would have any influence with eBay as they've made their decision.  All this bulkshit because two people (one being my wife) have a mania for being right.

She has his ABN, several po box addresses he has and the names of I think 5 businesses associated with that ABN, one which has gone into liquidation and administration.  We haven't told him any of that.  He's made several references to things my wife has said on various different site over time.  Quite frankly I just don't need this shit.

As everybody said, keep a record, report to Police as a non-emergency, tell him what you have done and requests he never contacts you again. If he does so then he is harassing you.

On our solicitors advice and based on him offering to pay return shipping, we are sending it back to him.

My wife is taking photos of it all at the moment before we box it back up, and I never saw it myself as I unboxed it, but she has seen that there is water damage on the bottom of the box, going up at least a couple of inches.

Edit to add: she's grabbed copies of his auction photos and they show the water damage marks on the box if you have a close look.  She's saving those.

Tip for the future.  

Don’t buy second hand anything over the internet. 

It’s just to risky. 

Yes, lesson learnt!

6 hours ago, Peter said:

Tip for the future.  

It’s just to risky. 

I buy practically everything second hand off the internet. There is some risk but I'm ok with it.

This is a very unusual and crappy situation. All the best with it goughy. 

18 hours ago, Peter said:

Tip for the future.  

It’s just to risky. 

To be honest, I've bought tons of 2nd hand stuff online and it's all been fine. I think 90% are honest and trustworthy especially in the bike/triathlon scene. Although there are a few exceptions. 

For a guy who's caused us so much stress with him being so aggressive and threatening, to then become a bit sarcastic and now polite, he doesn't seem to want his vacuum back in a rush!  We agreed to send it back to him at his cost on Monday, and yet he still hasn't sent Rob the shipping money, apologising yesterday that he has been quite busy and could we send him the email for PayPal payment (which he already had).  Jim said it best, "people are strange!"

• Confused 1