BarryBevan

Coach or not

Like Rocky in one of those late Rocky Movies, "I think I still got something to give". So thinking one more ironman (Port Mac). Have been coached before to get best results. Isseu is coaching is expensive and I did not go much worse without a coach.

But I stressed myself out a lot with worry as I did not have somebody I trusted to just work it out. Figuring Port Mac is a long way to go so maybe juts go it alone and put all that coaching money into my house and the family

Ask yourself why you need the coach if you're only doing one more IM?  You wouldn't be working towards anything (like Kona) and you have a big engine.  What are you really looking to gain? To go out with the best possible time?

You said you did better with a coach, but not that much better!  Do you desire your absolute best, or do you just wanna finish and enjoy your day?

16 minutes ago, FatPom said:

What are you really looking to gain? To go out with the best possible time?

That's what you really need to ask yourself and then answer. If that is the reason, then yes get a coach and live up this last roll of the dice.

If however you are retiring like B@W, then get a coach for your next "last IM".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Ask yourself why you need the coach if you're only doing one more IM?  You wouldn't be working towards anything (like Kona) and you have a big engine.  What are you really looking to gain? To go out with the best possible time?

Good points. Would probably be better with a good coach, how much better though? Main upside is I would relax more

The best thing about a coach is that you are accountable and therefore less likely to miss sessions and more likely to do as told (assuming you are prepared to do so).

At the end of the day......it's about priorities whether it be kids, house, school, family etc.

If you just going around one more time and want a respectable time it may be that you just need to be more accountable to yourself than a coach. If you want to do a PB and hit Kona then you have decisions to be made.

What ever that decision you need to be happy with what ever that result is. Don't be that guy who keeps saying I coulda, woulda and shoulda!!!!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

But I stressed myself out a lot with worry as I did not have somebody I trusted to just work it out. 

16 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Main upside is I would relax more

How much value do you place on the above to points? 

Back in the day when I was racing & being coached.  would get to a Sunday lunch time, look at the program see all the sessions had been ticked off & relax and enjoy the rest of the day with my family. Without a coach I was always wondering have I done enough did I do too much, should I squeeze in another run etc. 

My wife also had a copy of my program at work & could always email my coach so family trips etc could be planned into my program. 

It takes the hassle out of it. 

Ironman is expensive coaching fees are one of the cheaper options that will get you the best results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't you say before that although you were coached you didn't actually did what the wanted,  often over thought things or modified the plan based on what you thought was best? 

If the scheduling is the bit that gives you the headaches why not just download an Ironman training program now, tweak it a bit and have it ready for when you kick off, then just treat that like your "coach". 

The thinking can all be done now months in advance and while you may not get the "interactive" stuff you will still have a program and a path to follow. 

• Like 1

Ironman is expensive coaching fees are one of the cheaper options that will get you the best results.

If Port was the goal - 16 weeks out would be a good time to start a program - but between now and 16 weeks out is a great opportunity to be very ready to make the 16 weeks count - you know what your weaknesses are - now is the time to start working on those weaknesses so when you start your build you start from a higher level 😎

No matter how far into this sport you go, there'll always be things to work on in your "pre-season" 

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

How much value do you place on the above to points? 

Back in the day when I was racing & being coached.  would get to a Sunday lunch time, look at the program see all the sessions had been ticked off & relax and enjoy the rest of the day with my family. Without a coach I was always wondering have I done enough did I do too much, should I squeeze in another run etc.  

My wife also had a copy of my program at work & could always email my coach so family trips etc could be planned into my program. 

This is me 

I'll let you know in 4 weeks..

I think if you don't struggle for motivation, you can do it yourself. Plus there are free/cheap training groups you can join. The run club I sometimes run with is free, you've got the various shop rides which are free, plus tri clubs have lots of free training sessions. Get yourself a cookie cutter program and go from there. 

Edited by zed

If you have the self-control to stop yourself from doing too much, too hard, too soon and breaking yourself then Ironman is probably the easiest thing to train for and get a decent result.

8 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I have also retried at least 6 times. Just like running along that break wall

You related to bored@

TrainingPeaks is great for putting in the plan and then seeing how well you are doing week on week and longer term, it also shows you the forward predictions of what the effect your missing sessions will have. 

I already beat myself up enough, at the moment I think then justifying why I missed stuff would just add to the already angry buzz in my head... 

11 hours ago, pieman said:

Didn't you say before that although you were coached you didn't actually did what the wanted,  often over thought things or modified the plan based on what you thought was best? 

Sorry meant to say i did everything was asked, but over thought things and got anxious. Never modified, I allowed myself to be trained not coached, thats on me

6 hours ago, Stikman said:

If you have the self-control to stop yourself from doing too much, too hard, too soon and breaking yourself then Ironman is probably the easiest thing to train for and get a decent result.

I don't. Despite it being clearly dumb. I will get nervous and 4 days out run 21 Ks in 90 minutes 

If you do decide to get a coach do your research and find the right coach for you. The fastest coach with the most Kona qualifiers is not always going to be the best coach for your. Do your research, get on the phone, ask others etc. 

Look at their internet foot print, Facebook, Instagram, Internet forums etc. I have been following MJK's post on here and Facebook. His posts are always polite, positive. He comes across really well. If i wasn't happy with my coach I would be exploring options with MJK  solely based on his social media profile. Others come across as arrogant, one dimensional etc. Some seem to  be more interested in getting Instagram likes and followers.

If you pick the wrong coach you could do more damage and waste your money. 

p.s save the money on the coach buy ceramic speed jockey wheels & enjoy your warm comfy bed. 

• Like 2

Bit over whelmed by all the kind offers on this thread from PM. Thank you for helping an over anxious sort of fit 40 something get focussed.

I did get in touch with someone and I will be start working with him soon. Have found one of the very best, so I need to make the best of it. 

Don't know where if I'll end up in kona, I will be the best I can be and if that gets me to Kona then I'll go and do the underpants run with AP

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Bit over whelmed by all the kind offers on this thread from PM. 

Damm it I should have sent a PM. An extra $100 a week would have got me a heap of donuts & kept me in these stretch pants I have become accustomed to. 

13 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Sorry meant to say i did everything was asked, but over thought things and got anxious. Never modified, I allowed myself to be trained not coached, thats on me

Unless you fully commit to a coach it's a waste of your money and his/her time - more than 50% of coaching is psychological 

There are a handful of coaches out there - they're not all the same - one will fit - many won't - but unless you trust the coach you may as well follow the handful of regular posters on Transitions and stay in the comfort zone 😉

Finding the right coach is like winning the lottery for some people. 

Id suggest you join a local group and get their coach to coach you. 

A coach that can see you train at the pool or running session will go so much further than an online coach. 

You could have tiny flaws fixed by a coach that sees you weekly that will help you go heaps faster or MORE EFFECTIVELY on race day. 

So when your hunt begins, go with someone you can see. Someone local. 

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Found match for me

James hird?

Edited by Peter

32 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Do tell

Tinder tell no tales. 

Or so I've heard. 

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Tinder tell no tales. 

Or so I've heard. 

Ok I’ll announce it. I’m proud to announce I will be coaching BarryBevan to Kona 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

First session is scheduled for 9am tomorrow morning. 

Can we all join in?

This is an interesting discussion, and of course ultimately only you can adetermine the value, compared to the other things you can spend your money on.

You've already recognised that the real value might not be directly in time improvement, but in other things like reducing stress and your tendency to over-think and not know when to switch off.

It's a bit like buying a new bike; it might make you 24 seconds faster over an IM course.  It might also motivate you to get up at sparrow-fart and go riding; and be worth the price for that alone. Personal choice.

Personally, I've never had coaching, with the exception of swimming in a squad for a number of years (and the value of that was the motivation and fun of swimming with friends - I didn't expect to learn to swim better).  One season when I was taking tri very seriously (won my AG at Port and went to Kona) I won a year's free coaching with Bruce and Christina Thomas - two of the best in the business.  I still said a polite 'no thanks' - even at no cost I couldn't see it working for me.  What does your gut tell you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

I spoke with the guy from Arizona for 50 minutes he's the coach for me

Who? 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

I spoke with the guy from Arizona for 50 minutes he's the coach for me

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

Who? 

The prince of Bahrain. 

He went fast. Got a kona spot. 

10 hours ago, Peter said:

The prince of Bahrain. 

And then won Kona 

On 01/11/2018 at 6:55 AM, BarryBevan said:

Main upside is I would relax more

On 01/11/2018 at 7:17 AM, Bored@work said:

On 01/11/2018 at 7:38 PM, BarryBevan said:

over thought things and got anxious.

On 01/11/2018 at 7:39 PM, BarryBevan said:

. I will get nervous and 4 days out run 21 Ks in 90 minutes 

I think this is the crux.

It's not about a coach per se, it's about what's going on in your head.

A coach may be a solution, but if you can relax and enjoy the sport without one, the sport will be....well.....more relaxing and enjoyable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 08/11/2018 at 9:18 AM, Peter said:

The prince of Bahrain. 

You need to keep yourself busy with meaningful projects. You either have too much time on your hands, hence, your frequent fishing expeditions OR you're suffering from 'Grass is Always Greener...' syndrome. There's a third possibility - that you find the Shaikh incredibly attractive and have developed an obsession. I sympathise. He is indeed a handsome fellow.

12 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I think this is the crux.

It's not about a coach per se, it's about what's going on in your head.

A coach may be a solution, but if you can relax and enjoy the sport without one, the sport will be....well.....more relaxing and enjoyable.

And cheaper. Have been finding the simplicity of sbr hard to enjoy with the noise. Much of it self created. Though the culture of tri has changed. 

Could get by on my own, wanted hep to clam my mind and lift performance above what I could do.

Much of it self created. Though the culture of tri has changed. 

How has the "change of culture" in the sport affected how you train 🙄 or what goes on in your head - I've been in this sport for 32yrs and the most change I have seen is greater numbers at races, fatter competitors and over equipt  athletes - none of that has changed how I train, or how I train people 

I have said often 70% of coaching is psychology - one other possible change to the "culture of the sport" is that people are often addicted to coaches telling them what they want to hear 😏

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AP said:

How has the "change of culture" in the sport affected how you train 🙄 or what goes on in your head - I've been in this sport for 32yrs and the most change I have seen is greater numbers at races, fatter competitors and over equipt  athletes - none of that has changed how I train, or how I train people 

I have said often 70% of coaching is psychology - one other possible change to the "culture of the sport" is that people are often addicted to coaches telling them what they want to hear 😏

"Much of it self created"

Maybe Barry, the change isn't in the sport, but in you.

As a youngster you would think nothing of training taking over a weekend, and if you didn't do something one day, you'd do it the next. Now, with other commitments, the pressure is on to get the training done at the time you planned, cause there is no other chance, and you are always looking for that "extra slot" of training you can fit in.

Saying that, the culture of the sport has changed immeasurably from the early days of rocking up on the day to enter, after a big night out at the local chinese restaurant the night before. Then helping the organisers pack up after the race & sitting down for a few beers with them.

"Much of it self created"

I am the only person who can make feel anything.

Having said that so much of what goes on is irritating to me. But I have to let it do that. The early days with regular short local races having laugh going against your mates each week, in training and races seems to have been lost.

Replaced with something different. That seems to be of less substance and more about image than just having a go. 

Races are professionally run, more people are having a go so there is an upside. I don't have to let if phase me, though the poor behaviours by mostly middle aged men in this sport is a serious turn off.

•  
Edited by BarryBevan