BogFrog

Watch still waterproof?

Had a "wee" stack at the weekend and the Garmin has a bit of damage.  It still works, however I was wondering if it was still waterproof and if I could take it to the pool.  I've attached photos - there are two cracks on the bottom right and I can feel them - would this affect the waterproofing or is this just cosmetic?  Any way of finding out without submerging it in water and possibly completely screwing it?

20181031_090029.jpg

Screenshot_20181031-090150_Gallery.jpg

I can't really see the cracks. The case seals the water out and is joined with gaskets. If the case is damaged enough that water can leak through a crack then it is a definite no no I would think. That doesn't appear to be the case from what I can see but if you feel the cracks are more than surface and somehow penetrate the case then no swimming. 

Can you take it to a watch repair place and get them to pressure test it? 

Time for a new watch, see Garmin 935 at $399 at Rebel thread. Probably time for a  new bike also.😀

• Haha 2

I had a crack down the screen on my 310XT (feel off the seat onto tiles in the change room... a good 40cm?!?!), I gave it a go in the pool and it got some water in, enough to fog up the screen, but the device is still a decent running watch to this day... If you're willing to take the gamble, I reckon it has a fighting chance of being fine, and if not, 935! (or Fenix 5's are also on sale at JB)

20 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Time for a new watch, see Garmin 935 at $399 at Rebel thread. Probably time for a  new bike also.😀

Yeah I'd love to see the number of 'accidents' that have occured since the Rebel deal started..

Just use it until it dies :)

I don't swim in a watch (or swim at all at the moment :P ) but if you must just see how it goes. Nothing is worth repairing so just see what happens and then off to Rebel if it goes badly.

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

I can't really see the cracks. The case seals the water out and is joined with gaskets. If the case is damaged enough that water can leak through a crack then it is a definite no no I would think. That doesn't appear to be the case from what I can see but if you feel the cracks are more than surface and somehow penetrate the case then no swimming. 

There are two parallel crackson the bottom right - look like two faint grey lines in the photo.   When you say if the "case" is damaged, what exactly do you mean by case?  Does the top white bit that sits around the screen constitute as the case?

I haven't been swimming for the last 6 weeks due to a dodgy shoulder but I can't ride or run atm due to my stack, so wanted to get back into the pool to at least be able to record something on Strava :lol:

28 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

There are two parallel crackson the bottom right - look like two faint grey lines in the photo.   When you say if the "case" is damaged, what exactly do you mean by case?  Does the top white bit that sits around the screen constitute as the case?

I haven't been swimming for the last 6 weeks due to a dodgy shoulder but I can't ride or run atm due to my stack, so wanted to get back into the pool to at least be able to record something on Strava :lol:

See 

Might give you an idea of how it is put together. I think that any actual break in the case that goes all the way through will let water in. If you are worried about the cracks, which I still can't really identify, you could put some epoxy (e.g. araldite) over them which should seal the cracks up from any water getting in.

Worth a try! 

• Like 1