FFF1077

Serious medical question

Hello 

Asprin. 

What effect does it have on your body. 

My farm yard chemistry degree said that it would thin my blood a bit therefore lowering my HR(or the effort required by my heart) to pump blood around my body. Taken in the Aspro clear form. 

For the sake of the discussion - dissolved 6 tabs in 300ml of water prior to the long run just completed. Headache went away but HR and perceived exersion were where they'd be normally. 

Discuss.... 

Its not a bulk lot job.

They have recommended it to "thin the blood" for oldies, but as a one a day every day kind of thing.

You cured your headache and likely peed out 4 aspros :)

• Thanks 1

Recent study said taking it to thin the blood as has been promoted for a long time is only beneficisl if you have already had a cardiac event.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Hello 

Asprin. 

My farm yard chemistry degree said that it would thin my blood a bit therefore lowering my HR(or the effort required by my heart) to pump blood around my body. Taken in the Aspro clear form. 

For the sake of the discussion - dissolved 6 tabs in 300ml of water prior to the long run just completed. Headache went away but HR and perceived exersion were where they'd be normally. 

Discuss.... 

6 ?  How bad was your headache ?   Maybe a rest, sleep instead?

Hope youre ok x

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Surfer said:

6 ?  How bad was your headache ?   Maybe a rest, sleep instead?

Hope youre ok x

Headache is/has been solid. Like the post concussion feeling. I shake it but it returns. Easy does it here at the moment. 

Cheers ✌️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Asprin. 

For the sake of the discussion - dissolved 6 tabs in 300ml of water prior to the long run just completed.

6! This does not sound smart.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trinube said:

6! This does not sound smart.

I'm a Postie.... LOL 

Nuff said 

It can cause intestinal bleeding (similar to any other NSAID) so be careful

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, -H- said:

It can cause intestinal bleeding (similar to any other NSAID) so be careful

This.

I ended up with an ulcer, partly attributed to over-use of NSAIDs.

It's not fun & will make your head-ache feel like a day in the park with Mooj.

• Like 1

Taking more than the recommended dose of any kind of medication is dangerous. I suspect that taking more than the recommenced dose just before you put your body through a stressful long run is really dangerous.

If your headache is so bad that you need 6 aspirin I do not think that going for a long run is a good idea.

• Like 3

sammy

my experience as an untrained in medicine is to increase your mineral levels if i am getting a bad headache

I have a water bottle with one of the electrolyte tabs in it eg nuun/Gu etc

this works for me

Yeah 

Off to the doctor soon for blood tests. 

Something is wrong with my body.*

*besides the love handles and excessive hair 

6 is 3 times the dose. 

That's not a good idea. 

My doc reckons it's a great painkiller, but you lose about a teaspoon of blood into your GI tract each time. 

Plus, if your running on an empty stomach it's a recipe for  bad stomach ulcer and bleeding. 

Dont take that many mate. Doctor is a good idea. 

Could be migraine which needs special meds. With normal headache meds it won't shake, and will leave you with that shit feelng. 

• Thanks 1

Ibuprofen gives me horrific gut aches, even on food. Aspirin is a no-no for those on Lexapro. 

Also have a look at your neck and shoulders, all the time in the saddle and aero might not be helping, I know I get some nasty aches sometimes, probably tension as I am always stressed!

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, FFF1077 said:

Hello 

Asprin. 

Discuss.... 

I sat in on a lecture on pre-marathon aspirin use at the weekend. Takeaway re: effect is that more research needs to be done to determine efficacy. Some general "rules of thumb" is that there is questionable effect in population under 50yrs of age. The limited good quality research that is out there suggests to use with caution as the reduction in myocardial infarctions was offset by a similarly sized increase in cerebrovascular incidents.

I would talk to a Sports Physician for more detailed info.

• Like 1

You don't need that stuff - just train regularly and go into the race with confidence - if you have a serious issue that requires pain killers you shouldn't be racing - you'll only make it worse - remember we do this for the health benefits and fun - having a serious injury doesn't fit either of those categories 🙄

• Thanks 1

are you getting any body work done?  although always a good idea to get a constant headache checked out with your GP, the increased load you are placing on your body can also cause headaches. 

OK 

Blood test is in. 

Everything is "normal" 

Minerals etc all good. Haematocrit at 0.44

Low White blood cell count indicating a possible virus. 

Total rest recommended by the doctor until it goes. 

Headache still in the background. 

There's been a bit of negative press about Aspirin recently. Along the lines of any good you think it might do re thinning blood (prevention of strokes) is outweighed by the damage it does.  

I am no expert but I don't think "blood thinners" actually change the viscosity of  your blood (as you believe in the OP) but reduces the incidence of blood clotting - similar but not the same.  Happy to be proved wrong, but taking 6 aspirins prior to a long run is probably not the smartest thing you did that day....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

but taking 6 aspirins prior to a long run is probably not the smartest thing you did that day....

Well, it could be :D

(Sorry Sammy:) )

11 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Well, it could be :D

(Sorry Sammy:) )

😂😂😂😂Fair call lad 

Play on 😝

• Like 1

When ambulancing we never recommend aspirin for pain relief. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are your best bet, in combination if it's hard to shift. 2 x Paracetamol and 2 x Ibuprofen will shift most headaches. If you're really struggling long term then 1 of each every two hours is  considered safe and most effective.

6 aspirin is daft. You know that though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monkie said:

When ambulancing we never recommend aspirin for pain relief. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are your best bet, in combination if it's hard to shift. 2 x Paracetamol and 2 x Ibuprofen will shift most headaches. If you're really struggling long term then 1 of each every two hours is  considered safe and most effective.

Yeah I know. 

But I have to try these things. It's how I learn. 

Yeah that pain killer treatment is the same as the doctor recommended for my daughter when she's sick. Switching between panadol and nurofen every two hours. Only had to use it once thank goodness. *touch wood 

On 02/11/2018 at 6:10 PM, monkie said:

that's what I've allays thought as well (non medical me but GP mum & Pharmacist sister)

that and chuck in an Oxy just before bedtime :)

Just kidding - I hate pills (except when I get kidney stones then I'll take whatever they tell me however they tell me)