Cranky

Gateway motorway bike track to Redcliffe

So what parts are open and can I get from the crit track at Nundah to Redcliffe offroad, yet? When's it due to be all finished?

Google is not my friend 

Dont know when works are complete.  From nundahdrome you follow nudgee bike way to the end, turn right and follow road for 2 k past boat ramp, turn left back onto board walk and through boondall wetlands and behind entertainment centre into shorncliffe. I can show you its easy.

4 minutes ago, Merv said:

Dont know when works are complete.  From nundahdrome you follow nudgee bike way to the end, turn right and follow road for 2 k past boat ramp, turn left back onto board walk and through boondall wetlands and behind entertainment centre into shorncliffe. I can show you its easy.

This path was pretty much available when I was training 5 years ago. The wetlands can get fun after heavy rain, or when idiots go head down & full pace through the winding sections, but other than that, it is a great course away from the traffic.

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

So what parts are open and can I get from the crit track at Nundah to Redcliffe offroad, yet? When's it due to be all finished?

Google is not my friend 

I assume you mean that new bit next to the Gateway Motorway?

I can't help with your question though sorry.

The stretch from boondall down til redcliffe bridge on the left side is still closed in parts with detours in place.   Should be nearly complete.  The new stretch behind the entertainment centre is open.

So will this be a nice route for a bit of a gaunt one day?  My mate and I had down and ride Centenary path and around the river etc, but I've been thinking of heading to my old stomping ground at Redcliffe some time.  Would be cool to ride down there from the gateway.

There are good off-road alternatives. It's pretty straightforward. They've put in a new bikeway beside the motorway that takes you to Shorncliffe. 

Here is an Audax route from the Nundahdrome that delivers you to the start of the Hornibrook Bridge. Gives you a couple of options around Shorncliffe (short way and longer scenic way)... 🙂

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/23776416

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merv said:

Cool. I've done that before but you couldn't get up a lot of speed. It was a while ago though. Might give it another go one day soon. 

4 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

There are good off-road alternatives. It's pretty straightforward. They've put in a new bikeway beside the motorway that takes you to Shorncliffe. 

Yeah. That's the one that I want to use but wasn't sure if it was open. 

59 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Yeah. That's the one that I want to use but wasn't sure if it was open. 

It was when I last rode there around early July!

14 hours ago, Tyno said:

Cranky wants the new path alongside the current Gateway North upgrade stuff.

Ahh right. To be fair though, the replacement path they've put in is literally the other side of the motorway...a 30 second ride away from the old one. 

The best bit of it will be negating the need to go through the Boondall swamps and the associated 8 billion turns.

10 minutes ago, Tyno said:

The best bit of it will be negating the need to go through the Boondall swamps and the associated 8 billion turns.

It must be a nightmare for people who spend 90% of their ride time on a trainer. :)

Get a lot of recreational riders through there, the experienced riders should be mindful of that . One of my neighbours is a retired teacher who was taken out by some spanker cutting the apex.

10 minutes ago, Merv said:

Get a lot of recreational riders through there, the experienced riders should be mindful of that . One of my neighbours is a retired teacher who was taken out by some spanker cutting the apex.

Yeah, I used to use that stretch on my long rides before work. I'd head up inland to Caboolture, then back via Deception Bay, Redcliffe, Shornecliffe, the old bikeway beside the Entertainment Centre, then through the Wetlands. That was the bit I used as a physical & mental break, before hitting Nudgee Rd & Kingsford Smith drive on the way in to the city. 

Only an idiot would ride flat out through there.