Bosco

Bergs - Kona report????

Has anybody heard or seen a Kona report from J Amberger? His coach seems to have taken all the headlines but I would really be interested in his thoughts of the day. I think Josh is a better runner than he gives himself credit for - but a DNF after over biking looked a sign of no confidence to me. Anyway, appreciate if someone can post any report or comment. 

He should have continued on. Is that 0 from 2 now. 

Need to finish and draw a line in the sand to move forward on. Many people before him have.

Pauli Kiuru

Jurgen Zack

Tinely

Macca

Andreas Raelert

IronmanFoz :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Zero to gain from pushing through an ITB issue carried into the race if it flared up. 

Ooh he didn't respect the bunga bunga party island gods.... 

29 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Need to finish and draw a line in the sand to move forward on. Many people before him have.

Pauli Kiuru

Jurgen Zack

Tinely

Macca

Andreas Raelert

he finished last year, and ahead of numerous big names...

Honouring the race is different now with the new qualifying format. Not saying that this would in any way have influenced Burgs (Doubt it would be an issue for him) but I heard Beals talking on a podcast recently, and he commented that if a pro was in the race and likely to finish outside of prize money (top 20??) it makes more sense to pull out, and go again at a different ironman i the next few weeks to get some cash and a qualifying spot while your training is still peaked and while most other good pros are recovering. Now that points accumulation is irrelevant, he thinks there will be a lot more pros pulling out of races mid way in the future.

• Like 2

Geez IronmanFoz have you ever had a sore ITband.  Bloody hell they are sore to even walk on.  You are a hard man.  It's a lot of money spent to go over and have an injury mid race.  I hope that it comes good for Josh.

• Like 2

It’s a bit of a different proposition walking when you simply run out of gas and when you have an injury. I’d say if it was hurting to walk then he’d be crazy persisting. 

• Like 1

Good to hear you're taking a break to get it right Bergs. You can spend some time getting that house right now.

6 hours ago, pieman said:

he finished last year, and ahead of numerous big names...

That excellent. On his day I reckon he can take a lot of scalps...... and bang out a top ten. Let’s hope this is the case in 2019.

7 hours ago, Infinit Jase said:

Geez IronmanFoz have you ever had a sore ITband.  Bloody hell they are sore to even walk on.  You are a hard man.  It's a lot of money spent to go over and have an injury mid race.  I hope that it comes good for Josh.

Am the master of the ITB injury and that’s of both legs.

I truely know the pain...... I the first time I had an ITB injury it was so bad after multiple months of stretching, and a full treatment of cortisone. In the end I had an ITB release. 

After that I was injury free for about 10 years (1993 -2003). Since 2003 I have had a lot of dirrefent other episodes....sometime bad and sometimes really bad and yes..... the run comes to a grinding halt/hobble. The worst thing is not hobbling the day after the race but the second day after when the ITB pain is non existent and you go WTF.

Anyway.... I see burgs has given a report which I will know read. Hope he talks about the ITB. Will be keen to see what he felt etc.

Quote from burgs: “I went into Kona with a semblance of confidence, and didn't actually give the injury or lack of run preparation too much thought until I actually got off the bike and onto Alii Drive.“

To Burgs - That’s the problem with the ITB injuries. If they’re not too bad they creep up on you especially “during races” and come on strong. Not sure of the rules here especially for you Elite dudes but if it’s still suspect before a next race are you allowed to get a cortisone shot the day prior to race day. My experience is the cortisone shot can give you 2-3 weeks relief. 

Sounds like you need an enhance stretching programme to help counter this.

Hopefully you can give us updates as this is a fairly common injury.

Good report Bergs.  You have a knack for teasing out the details of interesting little issues that most pros gloss over in their stories.

Re ITB, only ever had that problem once in about 2008 leading into the Canberra HIM.  It would come on like clockwork after 4kms of running, and sure enough it did so race day.  I popped some Nurofen at 4kms, finished in pain (though interestingly, the pain just stayed at the same level all run), then was crippled for about 4 weeks after, hurt to walk, hurt to ride.  Can't recall what I did to lose the pain, it just sort of went away with rest?

Thanks for that Josh. 

Good honest write up. 

“Shithouse” way to finish though. :lol: 

Enjoy the break and get yourself right, hope you are still in good enough shape  to carry Ash’s bags  for her. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

“Shithouse” way to finish though. :lol: 

Enjoy the break and get yourself right, hope you are still in good enough shape  to carry Ash’s bags  for her. 

Nice way to add some colour!

Yep, I'm carrying bags and Feedback travel rollers. Off to Sydney today for Nepean to begin a rolling 10 days of caddy duties. Ash got me through Kona week, so I've got the easier job to be honest! 

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Good report Bergs.  You have a knack for teasing out the details of interesting little issues that most pros gloss over in their stories.

Re ITB, only ever had that problem once in about 2008 leading into the Canberra HIM.  It would come on like clockwork after 4kms of running, and sure enough it did so race day.  I popped some Nurofen at 4kms, finished in pain (though interestingly, the pain just stayed at the same level all run), then was crippled for about 4 weeks after, hurt to walk, hurt to ride.  Can't recall what I did to lose the pain, it just sort of went away with rest?

Thanks for that comment. This was just a quick knock up, I would like to be putting more emphasis on telling the tale after both the good & bad, but damn this has been a  busy couple of weeks since the race. It was nice to write about it fleetingly though. Got to try and get back into some consistent writing.

Nice to know your pain never came back, I guess in the moment you were comfortably numb to it? I wasn't willing to risk trying to get through, I couldn't just imagine. That's incredible

Nice, honest write-up. ITB injuries suck.  For me, it turned out to be a lack of core strength. Lots of pilates and it went away. From then on, I've always focused on lots of prevention. 

I'm heading to Nepean as well, I might come and say hi if the opportunity presents itself. 

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Am the master of the ITB injury and that’s of both legs.

The worst thing is not hobbling the day after the race but the second day after when the ITB pain is non existent and you go WTF.

Exactly!!

23 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Pauli Kiuru

Jurgen Zack

Tinely

Macca

Andreas Raelert

Dont agree. The new qualifying system encourages pros to dnf for another day 

Edited by Peter

Thanks Burgs. 

Keep it up. Look forward to hearing from you more in the future. Great read. 

MKC for a coach suggestion. 👌

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Thanks Burgs. 

Does MKC suggest chest and ball shaving like yoyo?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, lachie94 said:

Good stuff Josh. Catch you at a race in the new year 👍

I'd suggest one of the team this bloke uses ☝️

On 26/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, FFF1077 said:

Thanks Burgs. 

What is this, MKC?

4 hours ago, hey_burgs said:

What is this, MKC?

Matt Koorey Coaching 

@MJK is the man to talk to 

If you are, which you are, serious about wanting to go fast. He's a great option. Tonnes of experience and knowledge. Contact him via MKC on Facebook for a chat, pretty sure he'd be happy to talk to you etc. 👍

Cheers mate 

Edited by FFF1077
Details

Thanks Bergs for thinking of us. We are most appreciative of you taking time to talk with us. You and Lachie are real champs.

Best of luck with your recovery. You and Cam are a breath of fresh air to the sport - keep it up.

Cheers

FM

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Maybe going from one teambbb disciple to another isn't what he's after..?

In that case his options may be a bit thin 😉 

On 30/10/2018 at 1:07 AM, pieman said:

Maybe going from one teambbb disciple to another isn't what he's after..?

Lol.

I learned a lot from Brett.

But I am not even close to being a clone.

More than anything he just confirmed I already knew what I was doing, gave me confidence, and polished me up a bit.

But in many ways I do things very differently.

I'm much more moderated, at least on the intensity front.

For all that I am sometimes perceived as anti-tech, with analysis I am anything but when you consider it underpins my 'quantity of quality' mindset, and how I view that as the undo-er of many....the form killer of the century.

Edited by MJK

Met Burgs a couple of days ago. Really nice guy. Of course I didn't know who he was until he introduced himself! I live in such a bubble! It was embarrassing that I didn't recognise him! But then I'm used to being embarrassed by my own actions and airheadedness ! 🙄😞😫

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Met Burgs a couple of days ago. Really nice guy. Of course I didn't know who he was until he introduced himself! I live in such a bubble! It was embarrassing that I didn't recognise him! But then I'm used to being embarrassed by my own actions and airheadedness ! 🙄😞😫

He would have known who you are though ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Cranky said:

I have a funny story like this - a lady friend who came to Hawaii this year to support a few of us has been doing triathlon for around 5 yrs - at the airport she was talking to friends and was introduced to this fat guy who was surprised that she didn't know who he was - it was really a "Don't you know who I am" moment - it was the CEO of Triathlon Australia 😏

To her he was just another guy who didn't look like an athlete at all 

He's the cuddle toy of Australian Triathlon. 

They should make him a mascot.

Million Cuddle Miles 😁😁👍

Soft toy thing! 👍👍

Edited by FFF1077
Details

On 02/11/2018 at 8:29 AM, AP said:

I have a funny story like this - a lady friend who came to Hawaii this year to support a few of us has been doing triathlon for around 5 yrs - at the airport she was talking to friends and was introduced to this fat guy who was surprised that she didn't know who he was - it was really a "Don't you know who I am" moment - it was the CEO of Triathlon Australia 😏

To her he was just another guy who didn't look like an athlete at all 

Lol, sounds like Miles....

• Haha 1

Everyone has an opinion and they come cheaply - so here is mine.

It sounds like your body is better suited to 70.3 that IM or Olympic distances.  You certainly seem to have had your greatest successes at 70.3.  As a pro you are trying to fund your lifestyle and that means spending more time racing and less in rehab. Whilst everyone would like to have a good result at Kona on their resume,  in 10 year's time no one will remember whether you came top 10 or DNF'ed there.

What is probably more important is that you are able to keep your body fit and healthy preparing for races for which you can sustain the workload rather than one or two attempts at the longer distance each year which take a terrible toll.

I admire your performances thus far and look forward to more successes on your part.

• Like 1