CEM

Garmin 935 $399 at rebel - good value?

24 minutes ago, goughy said:

But I thought you were in a rush ;):)

Ok. Have reread now and think this will be it. Hope I can get one. I need to run tomorrow and we all know I can't train on my own!!!! My 920 buttons stopped working the other day x 2. Reset it and it came good. Today,  it's as good as a $2 watch.  All it does is tell time. Even the light button doesn't work! :(

Remember, if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen!

Purchase compete. Mr Cranky just went and bought it for me.

• Like 1

You've trained him well!

Are we all ready for the flood of questions on how to use it now?  It works with running power metres, maybe you should get one of those too 😁

59 minutes ago, goughy said:

You've trained him well!

Are we all ready for the flood of questions on how to use it now?  It works with running power metres, maybe you should get one of those too 😁

Ha. No way! THAT'S a waste of money. 

7 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Ha. No way! THAT'S a waste of money. 

No, you'll need it if you're serious about OD.

• Haha 1

I didn't buy one! (I'll admit I felt that I must as everyone else was and it is such a good deal)

I really just need to know how fast I am going and where I went. They have been doing that well for a while now. That and I only wear it when doing sport and wear a real watch the rest of the time. A nice automatic watch with sapphire crystal face. No charging or batteries for me ;) 

5 hours ago, Cranky said:

Ok. Have reread now and think this will be it. Hope I can get one. I need to run tomorrow and we all know I can't train on my own!!!! My 920 buttons stopped working the other day x 2. Reset it and it came good. Today,  it's as good as a $2 watch.  All it does is tell time. Even the light button doesn't work! :(

That's very sad

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Remember, if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen!

That's even sadder :lol:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, willie said:

image.jpg

You should have picked up a whiper snipper at the same time:whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

You should have picked up a whiper snipper at the same time:whistling:

My old man's a hairy wog boy (Maltese). I didn't get tall dark and handsome, all I got was hair :lol:

• Haha 4

*rocking back and forth* I'm not spending money, I'm not spending money

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Peter said:

Can you change the face? Looks plain. 

So many face change options. Overwhelming how many there are.

Stikman and I both found the same one we liked (damn it) on the 735 and we've carried it over on to this one. We have different coloured second hands to distinguish them, well, assuming we ever actually take them off, which we don't.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Compared to other Garmins yes, but compared to an Apple Watch it is crap.  There is a race between Apple and Garmin-   the former from moving from consumer to sports watch and the latter to from sports watch to consumer.

The next big thing (at least IMO) is the introduction of micro embedded SIMs that obviate the need for another communications device for upload and will give the ability to make calls, SMS, email, everything right from the watch.  Kinda like this guy

2u47hiq.jpg

Who anyone over the age of 40 might remember from the classic (albeit somewhat racist and stereotypical) cartoon series "Dick Tracy" :)

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Compared to other Garmins yes, but compared to an Apple Watch it is crap.  There is a race between Apple and Garmin the former from moving from consumer to sports watch and the latter to from sports watch to consumer.

The next big thing (at least IMO) is the introduction of micro embedded SIMs that obviate the need for another communications device for upload and will give the ability to make calls, SMS, email, everything right from the watch.  Kinda like this guy

2u47hiq.jpg

Who anyone over the age of 40 might remember from the classic (albeit somewhat racist and stereotypical) cartoon series "Dick Tracy" :)

Doesnt the new Apple 4 have this already. 

The e-sim links to your existing account and number but can be used without needing your phone handy, or so I thought? 

Yep, it does.

I would like a touch more out of the Garmin's, bit not as in your face interaction as you get from Apple/Android wear watches.

I'd like to see Garmin add the ability for canned replies, like I had on my pebble watch.  It's amazing how many messages you can reply to with just 5 or 10 prepared messages and also smileys.  I reckon I cut down interaction with my phone messages by more than half by being able to read messages on my watch and reply to them with a preset message.  If they could do that I'd consider them near perfect.

The trade off with the quality of watch faces and the screen is the lounge battery life!  Having had an F3 now for a few years, I'll take that over the other smart watches.  Now that the new ones can store music (including Spotify) and do payments, I don't need much of anything more.  

12 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yep, it does.

I would like a touch more out of the Garmin's, bit not as in your face interaction as you get from Apple/Android wear watches.

I'd like to see Garmin add the ability for canned replies, like I had on my pebble watch.  It's amazing how many messages you can reply to with just 5 or 10 prepared messages and also smileys.  I reckon I cut down interaction with my phone messages by more than half by being able to read messages on my watch and reply to them with a preset message.  If they could do that I'd consider them near perfect.

The trade off with the quality of watch faces and the screen is the lounge battery life!  Having had an F3 now for a few years, I'll take that over the other smart watches.  Now that the new ones can store music (including Spotify) and do payments, I don't need much of anything more.  

That was the only real thing I missed going from the Apple watch to the 735.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Doesnt the new Apple 4 have this already. 

The e-sim links to your existing account and number but can be used without needing your phone handy, or so I thought? 

Yes, technically it's the Apple Watch Series 3 with watchOS 4 - opitionally built-in eSIM that is over one-hundredth the size of a traditional SIM card - look for this in the new Garmin Fenix 6 - imagine, in-race group tracking of athletes!!

If Willie starts selling chocolate, I've got no hope in The Biggest Loser comp!

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yes, technically it's the Apple Watch Series 3 with watchOS 4 - opitionally built-in eSIM that is over one-hundredth the size of a traditional SIM card - look for this in the new Garmin Fenix 6 - imagine, in-race group tracking of athletes!!

Aren't we up to Apple watch 4 and OS5?

4 hours ago, Peter said:

I think Willie has a lovely face.... Geez... Bit harsh... LOL 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nealo said:

Aren't we up to Apple watch 4 and OS5?

Probably, I can't keep up! I remember when Casio calculator watches were a really big deal..... :(

PS - had this up once before. Using a bit of home-grown technology and the 935's BLE HRM interface I can turn my knob and get a change in heart rate...

2ezkxls.jpg

But I guess some of you blokes don't need a gadget do to that.....

Edited by Pete

7 hours ago, Peter said:

I changed it to that. I need nothing more than date and time when it's a watch

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

So if I'm out riding / running will my wife be able to track me if I get one of these e-sim watches?

yep, for about 5 minutes because that's all the battery lasts at the moment. that's the biggest drawback with them... A mate of mine didn't even get through the Sydney mara with his one. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

I changed it to that. I need nothing more than date and time when it's a watch

yep, for about 5 minutes because that's all the battery lasts at the moment. that's the biggest drawback with them... A mate of mine didn't even get through the Sydney mara with his one. 

This a 935 thread, but I'm guessing this comment isnt about the 935? I'm lost. 

1 hour ago, Turts said:

This a 935 thread, but I'm guessing this comment isnt about the 935? I'm lost. 

Maybe go back and read all the posts about various apple watches..

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Maybe go back and read all the posts about various apple watches..

Meh, no thanks. 

Well, found out 2 things about the watch

1 - like my old Fenix 3, lap swimming count isn't very accurate.

2 - it doesn't pick up HR spikes when I get my racing heart episodes. I can feel and see my whole chest moving, but the wrist monitor doesn't pick it up.

I hope my colourful wristbands arrive soon...

The below suggestions are from DC Rainmaker. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Troubleshooting Pool Swim Data

I wanted to briefly talk to this, since I’ve seen a number of folks ask about accuracy in the pool. Some have had the distance issues where the unit reports longer than normal. And a few people have issues where it reports shorter. With that, I wanted to provide some tips based on my using it for the past 5+ months. During which time, I’ve had it measure distance in a pool wrong only once – due to having to stop mid-way down the lane and converse with my lovely wife. Yup, just once. So I figured I’d share my tricks to accuracy.

The first thing to keep in mind is that the unit measures distance purely on accelerometer data. That means that it’s measuring what your wrist is doing, and in particular, changes to direction and acceleration. Thus, you have to keep in mind that any movement you make while the timer is running is being analyzed. The watch is constantly thinking “Is this a stroke?”, “Was that just a new lap?”. Keeping that in mind is critical to accurate data.

1) When you’re not actively swimming back and forth, pause the timer. I know that there’s some guidance that says you can just keep it going, but honestly, that’s wrong. If you’re standing at the wall waiting for your next set – just pause the timer. That tells the watch to stop looking at whether or not you should be swimming. And thus, it won’t increment the distance until you press start.

2) Separate out your laps/sets using the lap button. If my workout calls for 1000y warm-up, then a 500y build, then a slew of 100’s, I’m going to press lap between each section. Thus, at the 1000y marker I press lap to create that set. At the 500y marker, I press lap. And then after each 100y I press lap. In the case of the 100’s, I’ve got a short rest at the wall, so I FIRST press stop, then I press lap. If I pressed lap then stop, it would incorrectly start a new lap that I haven’t started swimming yet.

3) Be strong on your wall push-offs. Because the 910XT is looking for changes in acceleration, you want to ensure that you push off the wall strongly. Fast being the key. It doesn’t matter if you do a flip turn or an open turn (I vary sometimes for fun), it just matters that you do it with conviction. If you ever-so-slowly do a turn at the wall and make it more graceful than Ms. Daisy, the unit might never actually detect an acceleration change, and thus, no new lap.

4) Be aware that passing someone mid-line is an acceleration change: Folks have reported issues with sudden surges to pass another swimmer mid-way down a lane being counted as a new lap. This is an area where Garmin could improve the logic a bit, but my advice here is to try and ‘soften’ the acceleration/deceleration just a touch to not trigger it. I realize of course that when it comes time to pass someone mid-lane, the most important thing is doing it quickly – but just offering some options. Or, do it at the end of the lane (again, not always possible).

5) Pause when in drills: Because the unit is looking for one of the recognized stroke types, it will only be accurate when you’re doing one of those stroke types. So if you’re doing a bunch of drills with three pieces of swim equipment and look like a fish out of water, it’s best to pause the timer.

6) It won’t work if your arms aren’t moving: This goes hand in hand with the above, but if you’re doing kick-only drills, the unit simply won’t measure that distance. For these, I just pause the unit. The time is counted in total activity time, but it doesn’t try and incorrectly record laps (which it will, trust me).

7) Don’t leave the unit running when you go to the bathroom: I only mention this, because I got an upset e-mail from someone that indicated that the unit incorrectly added a lap when they went to the bathroom while leaving the timer running. I really wanted to note that technically they probably did go 50y round-trip, but decided against it. Again, remember, as your arm swings, it thinks your swimming. So as you get out of the pool, walk to the bathroom door, open the door, go to the bathroom, and do it all again in reverse, it’s prime time for the unit to think you’re swimming. Just pause, you’ll be happier later. 

• Thanks 1

Also a note on lap counting accuracy - I usually bike/run with my watch on the inside of my wrist... I tried it swimming for the first time and had all sorts of lap-counting issues which I never usually have. Carry on.

I wore mine in the pool yesterday and it was really good till I had to pause at the last turn to be told I had to get out of the lane as squad was starting, up till then it was fine. And I swim in a 25m pool so a vastly increased opportunity for error.

I've only had a few lap counting errors with my F3, and all of them I put down to user error!  They've either been some kind of pause mid lap, or once hitting the lane rope pretty hard.  I'd never read those directions that dcrainmaker lists, but that's basically exactly how I do it!  Cept those are for the 910xt, whereas the newer watches have a drill mode which is basically a timer which you can use for kick or other sets and then enter the distance you did.

I also have learnt how to come into the wall hard yet still hit the lap button without issue, before my feet even hit the bottom.  If I'm doing say hundreds on a set time, I can hit the wall and pause, look up at the wall clock and realise I have to go immediately and hit the lap button again and push off nearly straight away.  It becomes pretty natural after a little while.  Sure some people think all this stopping and starting off the watch is overkill, but it takes not a second thought when you're used to it.  And if you want the data properly then you just have to.  

It's also good if you're not great at watching the clock or doing odd timed sets.  The rest screen gives you 4 sets of data, including a rest time (so if you're taking a break of 10secs regardless of interval time) and also an interval time including your rest (say if you're doing 100's on 1min47secs).

Most of my swimming has been in a 25mtr pool.

• Like 1

I've only had 1 lap counting error, and I know why. I had a false start off the wall and came back to redo it. I knew how the watch counted laps, so I swam knowing that, and didn't do things that would cause issues. Simple as.

• Like 2

Ummm, don't you swim out and back in a dam?  So one lap?

• Haha 1

Just now, goughy said:

Ummm, don't you swim or and back in a dam?  So one lap?

Also did a lot of pool stuff just after I got my watch, and then again when I was travelling. 

Alright, I'm coming a little late to this thread...  Does the 935 have the multisport feature whereby you can set up numerous activities - e.g. pool swim + run + pool swim + run and include transitions, save that setting and have another activity that was pool swim + run?  Or is it like the fenix 2 where you could only select open water swimming and couldn't save multiple multisport events?

The Fenix 2 (I had one) is a wind up Mickey mouse watch from the servo compared to this!

Not that I've had several, but I'm sure you can set up multiple different multisport activities, all with different activities etc.  And I think you can even set them up in a loop so they just keep going around to you actually press stop.

• Like 1

Actually, what I like about the multisport activities are that they have all their own settings too.  So you can say turn off autopause for when I'm doing a tri, and I don't have to go into my cycling or running profiles and turn this of before a race, and back on after.  It's just automatically disabled (if you want).

• Like 1

On 26/10/2018 at 11:31 AM, Horowitz said:

Were they genuine bands? I found this website but if I'm paying $500 for a watch I really don't want to skimp on the band and watch it float to the bottom of the ocean...

It’s not floating if it goes to the bottom.

On 31/10/2018 at 2:06 PM, BogFrog said:

Alright, I'm coming a little late to this thread...  Does the 935 have the multisport feature whereby you can set up numerous activities - e.g. pool swim + run + pool swim + run and include transitions, save that setting and have another activity that was pool swim + run?  Or is it like the fenix 2 where you could only select open water swimming and couldn't save multiple multisport events?

Have a read of the DC Rainmaker review, it will answer all of your questions.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-forerunner-935-depth-review.html

Triathlon mode enables you to quickly iterate from sport to sport with little more than a key press.  This is useful for going from the swim segment of a race to the bike segment, and then onto the run.  Further, it can capture transition times as well.

Within the triathlon mode you’ve got the aforementioned transition time option, but you can also use the little known option to automatically lock the buttons after you change sports each time.  This helps to prevent accidental key presses – in particular pressing the ‘lap’ button, which would move you onto the next sport (a really bad thing if it happens at the wrong time).

In addition to triathlon mode you can make your own multisport mode options – such as combining stand-up paddle boarding with skiing.  Or two or more other totally compatible sports.  Further, you can do a bit of a free-style multisport mode by pressing the left-center button at any time to simply switch to another sport.  This is helpful if you’re going to repeat something like bike/run over and over again until a predetermined time (common brick workout strategy).

So I got sick of waiting for my replacement 920, and checked the local Rebel to see if they had stock.

queue $400 charge on the CC...

The button placement changes are going to take a bit to get used to, it sync'd up with equipment much faster than the 920.

Next statement - Garmin are sending out a new 920XT - Time to stick it on the Marketplace and offset the cost of the upgrade.