Sign in to follow this  
Merv

Holidaying with work mates

I dont mind having a drink with some workmates, going on a trip away is another matter though.

Is this something peple do regularly ?

Not in any sensible universe. I've been away with individuals that were friends at work for running or cycling races but never holiday as a group. Nothing that goes on holiday would stay on holiday.

Back away from this!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Merv said:

I dont mind having a drink with some workmates, going on a trip away is another matter though.

hell no.   worlds collide. 

• Like 1

I don’t even really like having drinks with work colleagues, for me it’s not enjoyable because I’m always on guard watching what I’m saying and how I’m acting (which defeats the purpose of a drink) and then on the other hand I have seen and heard many things from drunken colleagues I’d have preferred to have not seen or heard...

1 hour ago, more said:

I don’t even really like having drinks with work colleagues, for me it’s not enjoyable because I’m always on guard watching what I’m saying and how I’m acting (which defeats the purpose of a drink) and then on the other hand I have seen and heard many things from drunken colleagues I’d have preferred to have not seen or heard...

yep, and never 'friend' them on facebook. 

I unfollow most.

I attend most social drinks even for a short time.  

19 hours ago, Merv said:

Have you been invited to one of those swingers resorts by your work colleagues?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Merv said:

44 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

Have you been invited to one of those swingers resorts by your work colleagues?

Are their wives cute?

After seeing the Head of Department at one of my former clients engaged in a $ex act at the Christmas Party a couple of years ago, I keep a very measured distance. 

Would I go on holidays with them? No!

Slight clarification on this .... when I met my now wife, we soon clocked that her father was the Chairman of one of my clients. We went to her brother's wedding in Miami (I think I was drunk for a week) and, bobbing off the Coast of Miami, the now F-I-L came to an agreement ... we don't discuss work at all. Nothing. Not a mention. Don't ask - don't tell.

If you can get that from your workmates, and you like them, then possible you might enjoy a holiday with them.

I work with nerds, geeks, professors & scientist. Just going out for lunch with them is a fkn nightmare. 

Imagine having lunch with 10 people exactly the same as Sheldon.  

Sometime I go to the local football club by myself for lunch just to be around normal people. 

• Haha 1

My workplace is so buddy-buddy, bosses get invited to weddings, employees housesit for bosses, employees even rent from a senior manager while he is on an overseas stint...

If you're not buddy-buddy and suck up, you're not gonna make it anywhere, hence I got shafted to a new project, and am now employed by a new affiliated company.

So much is so wrong.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Rimmer said:

After seeing the Head of Department at one of my former clients engaged in a $ex act at the Christmas Party a couple of years ago, I keep a very measured distance. 

Would I go on holidays with them? No!

Was it an impressive sex act ?  

Yes. A number of times. By holiday I mean like 4 days 3 nights somewhere. Drinking trips really. Huge fun. Pretty close knit workplace. 

9 hours ago, Prince said:

Was it an impressive sex act ?  

No. He was a relatively senior member (excuse the pun) of Staff and he hired the now CEO of the company about 30 years ago in South America. Whatever he wanted to do, he could. Untouchable. He even brought across a woman from the Moscow Office to work in his Department, even though she knew absolutely nothing about what we did. He ended up involved with her and, at the Christmas Party, they ..... got it on. The worst part about it was that his wife was at the Party as well!

She left the Company with a payout about a month later. 

I go to these things, say my hellos and ask obligatory questions, be seen, then take my leave.

• Haha 1

Always need to be mindful what you say in a organisation where there is plenty of inbreeding happening.  The person to whom your speakinf to could be someone's cousin.

Many cousins where I work. My mob are pretty good to work for. We had heaps left in the budget this year so they said to me to take my team on a jolly. Booked a big arse deep sea fishing charter. They wouldn't stump up for the beer though. 

Worked with a great group of guys going back 16 years now, we used to go away on golf weekends, all before anyone of us had partners.  We still have 3 of us do golf weekend once a year.

Mind you that is only one company out of about 10 worked across my career.  Got an invite with the new work to the bosses for end of year party, usually avoid these but...

On 24/10/2018 at 6:36 AM, Prince said:

This!

I never socialize anyway, and if its anything work related i choose not to go - unless its a work thing such as a presentation by management and as supervision we are encouraged to go, i will go, stand to the far side and as quickly as the formal part is over im out of there without saying a word.

As far as holidays with work people.......I've never done it and never would regardless on how well i got on with them.

Did a golf trip to Tassie for the weekend with a couple of the blokes from work earlier this year.

Was a good weekend and would do it again, but.............you need to pick your mark and know who you are heading away with. Plenty of others at my work I wouldn't even entertain the thought.

I regularly go away fishing and camping with about 6 guys I work with. We have a ball, 20 years now and never had a problem.

On 24/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, Prince said:

Yeah 100% agree. 

Been with my team (no managers) out camping for a weekend a few times now.  Was pretty good therapy after months of stress and frustration. Only rules were:

1. Have Fun

2. What is said and what happens around the campfire stays around the campfire

3.  You have to work with these people on Monday so if you make a complete goose of yourself they will remember even if they say nothing.

So me accidentally setting a 440g butane canister alight while holding it has remained the stuff of urban legend.😁  

I used to work bush, in a team of 2 to 8. It was kind of like holidaying with the workmates. Occasionally out west we'd all gather at one bush camp for some fishing/shooting and drinking for a long weekend. They were really good times.

These days in the office I couldn't think of anything worse.

I have guys who have been in the same office for 40 years and have gone to school together. Some have dated each others partners before marrying.  Gets  a bit creepy.

• Confused 1