AP

Kona 2018 - a short story

Great result.  I think you were not far back from 2nd place is there anything you might do differently to make up that time if you had raceday over or was that a perfect race and the result is what it is..

Last year i think you got heart issues prior to race but your healers fixed it.  Was there any actual diagnosis from the real medicos or did you not even bother with that?  

Great effort Al. I monitored you all day and watched you cross the line. You were still talking after you got your beads ( I thought you were coaching). 

Congrats

FM

Good report Al & well done.  To be doing the Kona IM (or any IM) in your 70's is a major achievement.

Re the narrow life issue - if you want to get really good at something, having it become a dominant feature of your life is a natural consequence.  If it works in your situation, then happy days.  I know people who have an incredibly narrow focus on fly-fishing, and they are bloody good at it and make a living out of it.  More power to them I say.

Well done Al, I too was following you online on the day.  I notice the two guys in front just aged up as well, did you know them?
The 2nd guy won his age group at Roth this year.  Both had incredible bike times.

I'm sure you'll give it another crack next year, good luck

13 hours ago, pieman said:

Great result.  I think you were not far back from 2nd place is there anything you might do differently to make up that time if you had raceday over or was that a perfect race and the result is what it is..

Last year i think you got heart issues prior to race but your healers fixed it.  Was there any actual diagnosis from the real medicos or did you not even bother with that?  

Hindsight is always 20/20 vision - I would maybe do a few more longer rides - maybe take a strong coffee before race start - I rode stronger in training than I did on race day but both days we had a double shot coffee on the way out to where we start - I just found it a bit hard to turn the switch to ON during the bike

The heart AF issue was simply a side effect of a virus that I had - it was a gift really because as a result I had every test known ECG - MRI - ultra sound - blood tests - all good - that was 6 weeks before Port - so I can confidently push myself - but in an Ironman your heart is not the limiter - I doubt if my heart rate went above 150 all day - it's more your stomach's ability to absorb nutrition and your minds ability to over rule what your legs are saying 😅

12 minutes ago, AP said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 vision - I would maybe do a few more longer rides - maybe take a strong coffee before race start - I rode stronger in training than I did on race day but both days we had a double shot coffee on the way out to where we start - I just found it a bit hard to turn the switch to ON during the bike

The heart AF issue was simply a side effect of a virus that I had - it was a gift really because as a result I had every test known ECG - MRI - ultra sound - blood tests - all good - that was 6 weeks before Port - so I can confidently push myself - but in an Ironman your heart is not the limiter - I doubt if my heart rate went above 150 all day - it's more your stomach's ability to absorb nutrition and your minds ability to over rule what your legs are saying 😅

Good to know. I wasnt asking for the impact on IM but rather if there was any other longer term issue at play. Glad it showed an all clear and that you now have a strategy for next year.. Maybe take the Black Milk crew over with you to supply your morning brews..

Taking coffee to Kona would be like taking coal to Newcastle 🙄

Well done AP! And enjoyed this very honest account of the race. 46th Ironman and 19th Kona, bloody legend!

2 hours ago, AP said:

Taking coffee to Kona would be like taking coal to Newcastle 🙄

I thought the common complaint was that there is only one place that does a decent brew...

Well done AP. There has been a lot of crap against you on this site (which I never understand), but it works for you and not many people have done 19 IMWCs, especially at the pointy end. 

Don't worry about the "narrow life" barbs either - as if you would - it's your life, you only get one and you're dead a hell of a long time!

• Like 1

On 23/10/2018 at 2:49 PM, pieman said:

I thought the common complaint was that there is only one place that does a decent brew...

I reckon.  There’s a big gap between growing, roasting and brewing.  One highly promoted joint used filter grind in an espresso machine. 

Great race AP.

Edited by tortoise

Well done! 

A narrow life? So is mine. That's the way I like it.

Congrats Al there wouldn't be too many people with more of those bowls than you. How many in the collection now?

I got a bowl like that when I was 18 and won D grade in the Saturday comp at middle ridge golf club.  I thought it was pretty shit too..... :)

53 minutes ago, A2K said:

Congrats Al there wouldn't be too many people with more of those bowls than you. How many in the collection now?

I have three bowls and three of the old black plastic trophies - at least they're authentic Hawaii Ironman mementos 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp2wdhifvg6c7jx/2015-07-20 13.40.43.jpg?dl=0

• Like 2