goughy

Robot vacuums?

Anyone use one?  The Mrs just bought an older Samsung powerbot on eBay, one that doesn't connect with an app or wifi or anything (can't even schedule it) and so far it's a piece of shit!  Continually getting errors, doing and doing nothing, just seems like a pos so far.  But she's determined to try and make things easier around the place.

Anyone tried the Xiaomi ones?  Not that dear and seen to get good wraps?

Or if you've got an older Sammy powerbot and can offer any suggestions etc any advice on getting this pos working would be great!  I don't know if it maps rooms itself or something, but maybe bring in a new local is throwing it and it needs a reset, which I can't work out how to do.

I had one (not a Samsung). Didn't love it. Struggled to cope with the cat fur, which was the primary reason I bought it, and was constantly requiring 'rescuing'. Defiintely more trouble than it was worth. I ended up getting a dyson stick vacuum which is great on just hard floors. I am coveting the new dyson stick vac but Stikman won't let me buy it. lol https://shop.dyson.com.au/vacuum-cleaners/handstick/dyson-cyclone-v10-absolute-plus-226420-01?istCompanyId=1fe860c4-6a60-4f2c-bd80-3703f7554781&istItemId=-xmlrwxpmaw&istBid=tztx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluubzemT3gIVAyQrCh0Z8wSVEAQYASABEgLgzvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNiCkNHpk94CFUWVaAod6XEG5A 

3 hours ago, Katz said:

I had one (not a Samsung). Didn't love it. Struggled to cope with the cat fur, which was the primary reason I bought it, and was constantly requiring 'rescuing'. 

The obvious solution is to get rid of the cat 😜

• Haha 1

Hopefully there aren't 9 of them!  I mean, her user name is plural.....

3 hours ago, Katz said:

I had one (not a Samsung). Didn't love it. Struggled to cope with the cat fur, which was the primary reason I bought it, and was constantly requiring 'rescuing'. Defiintely more trouble than it was worth. I ended up getting a dyson stick vacuum which is great on just hard floors. I am coveting the new dyson stick vac but Stikman won't let me buy it. lol https://shop.dyson.com.au/vacuum-cleaners/handstick/dyson-cyclone-v10-absolute-plus-226420-01?istCompanyId=1fe860c4-6a60-4f2c-bd80-3703f7554781&istItemId=-xmlrwxpmaw&istBid=tztx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluubzemT3gIVAyQrCh0Z8wSVEAQYASABEgLgzvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNiCkNHpk94CFUWVaAod6XEG5A 

Tell Stikman to stick it. I lost the Dyson battle years again.

We have the Handheld on a shelf in the cupboard, The Stick in my Bike cupboard. The old Ball Dyson is in the garage for which we use when vacuuming the car and we have the new Ball in the house.

They are pretty good and that's coming from a cynic! So good I got our ski lodge to buy 2 of the older versions. One thing we found down at perisher is people do use them. they don't require replacement bags etc and are easy to clean/empty.

So......... we no longer get in cleaners weekly.......and we get a good pre season clean done.

Anyway....... like I said.... Tell Stikman to stick or like IronJimbo said....get rid of the cat :)

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The obvious solution is to get rid of the cat 😜

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Hopefully there aren't 9 of them!  I mean, her user name is plural.....

There are 4. 😍

There were 9 when I was fostering. 🤣

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

They are pretty good and that's coming from a cynic!

Same here, couldn't believe how much my wife wanted to spend on a vacuum.  Now believe they are worth every cent compared to the others

Yep I bought one for the mrs years ago, she used it twice, she prefers to use her mele one, which we have since upgraded to another mele that apparently is great for dust mites as our son is allergic to.  I’ve never seen said vacuum but she said it’s good

I'm now on my second  iRobot Roomba and love it. My dog produces more hair than you can imagine and they do a good job. You have to invest though, I've seen the cheaper ones and they're rubbish.

FWIW: According to Choice... when it comes to cleaning (as opposed to getting lost/stuck/etc) most can do an OK job on hard surfaces, but only the Electrolux Pure i9 PI91-5SGM was better than mediocre on carpet. Of the rest, the iRobot Roomba 637 and 980 both got a mention as being better than useless on carpet, with the more expensive 980 being better than the cheaper 637.

Basically, when it comes to carpet, none of them have the power to be a serious alternative to a standard vac. A couple of them can manage to clean most of the obvious dirt from the surface but not from in the pile (which is bad for the carpet) while the rest of them can't even manage that. It's essentially a trade-off limitation of battery size/power/run-time - to produce the same suction as a hand-held unit and have enough run-time to be useful, you'd need a unit too large/heavy to be practical.

Edited by XCOM!

For us, it'll mostly be taking care of the open plan and Hall, less so the bedrooms which are carpet. The regular vac will still come out to do it all properly, but just to keep things a little bit better would be cool.  The Mrs is gonna try and return the Sammy one (good luck with that) that she got on eBay cause it works like shit.  Reading good things about the Xiaomi ones and they're pretty well priced.  Was talking to a mate today who has the Xiaomi and reckons it rocks, and he's an odd clean freak.

eBay sided with us on our dispute over the non functioning Sammy vacuum she bought (might not have helped himself when he emailed her that it was working fine.... until they had their floors redone).

She bought the new model Xiaomi.  My mate had the previous one.  He's a clean freak and loves it and said it's the best of the 4 they've had.  Also seems to be the best rated on product review, and was about half the price of most of the others.  

• Like 1

The Xiaomi goes great.

The guy who sold us the non working one has gone ballistic now that eBay have refunded us and told us we no longer need to return it to him.  He ignored eBay's dispute resolution process, and then once they found in our favour and said he had 5 days to arrange shipping back, he ignored that too.  So they paid us and told us we no longer need to return it.

Unless we return the vacuum to him at our cost, he's threatened to contact the courts in our town and have her charged with fraud.  He's also threatened to contact and continue contacting other online communities she's involved in, and he's also threatened to release her personal information (address, phone number etc) online.  I know know what doxing is!  Seems he wasn't happy eBay took the money back.  But worst of all - he's threatened to contact her husband and tell me about the horrible things she's done!

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, goughy said:

He's also threatened to contact and continue contacting other online communities she's involved in, and he's also threatened to release her personal information (address, phone number etc) online.  I know know what doxing is!  Seems he wasn't happy eBay took the money back.  But worst of all - he's threatened to contact her husband and tell me about the horrible things she's done!

Report it to the police. He'll most likely get a phone call telling him to wind his neck in.

Yeah, I've got a few mates who are cops and detectives in town so was gonna run it by them.  And one of my best mates is a partner a big law firm here so I messaged him last night about wanting to have a chat.

Amazing what you can find when you go looking.  With the scant info we had (the shipping label was significantly damaged in transit), Rob says she managed to find an ABN, then 5 business (some including mobile numbers) associated to that and a number of PO boxes attached to them.

Rob last night emailed eBay again, and will start a chat session with them today once she gets up.  All this communication has been through eBay's system (not emails) so they will be able to directly see all his messages!  Rob has followed their policies to the letter and followed all their directions to the letter this far.  So we'll see what they have to say today too.