xblane

TriHusky 2018

4th November is getting close, who's in for TriHusky? 

What event are you doing? 

Goals? Aspirations? Competing or completing? 

I have a friend who's keen to give a triathlon a go, so he decided to start with the Standard/Olympic distance 😮 I tried to talk him out of it but he is as stubborn as me. A few months on and some medical mishaps along the way for the poor bloke, I think I've managed to talk him into the sprint. 

I'm in for the Standard. 

I'm looking to see how my Winterfish improvements translate into open water/race day environment and as usual, I'd be keen to try and put in a respectable run in off the bike. I'd be chuffed with anything under 52 minutes I think.

19 minutes ago, xblane said:

I have a friend who's keen to give a triathlon a go, so he decided to start with the Standard/Olympic distance 😮 I tried to talk him out of it but he is as stubborn as me. A few months on and some medical mishaps along the way for the poor bloke, I think I've managed to talk him into the sprint. 

I'm in for the Standard. 

I'm looking to see how my Winterfish improvements translate into open water/race day environment and as usual, I'd be keen to try and put in a respectable run in off the bike. I'd be chuffed with anything under 52 minutes I think.

My first triathlon was a 70.3 - as long as your friend can do some long runs and rides they'll be fine. Triathlon isn't rocket science really, just a swim, bike and a run! 

I'm in - Standard distance (Athena) moved from the AquaBike last week when my Osteopath cleared me to run.

The other half is doing try-a-tri, hopefully I am done before he starts!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MissJess said:

I'm in - Standard distance (Athena) moved from the AquaBike last week when my Osteopath cleared me to run.

The other half is doing try-a-tri, hopefully I am done before he starts!

Great news Miss J - enjoy the whole race

• Like 1

I'm always in on home turf. Standard this year.

Should be a lot more people racing this year - I've heard double the numbers from '17 are pre-rego'd already. 

Fyi to all; this will be the third consecutive weekend of sports in Husky (LCW, then Sand n Sea Festival, then Little Husky) so locals may be a bit cranky on the roads... ride early and avoid Jervis bay road

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2018 at 3:41 PM, dazaau said:

My first triathlon was a 70.3 - as long as your friend can do some long runs and rides they'll be fine. Triathlon isn't rocket science really, just a swim, bike and a run! 

I agree, provided of course that he has a satisfactory amount of training or racing under his belt.

It doesn't have to be a lot of miles. If someone has (or can) run a half marathon, can swim a km relatively comfortably and ride a bike without falling off, they're going to get through an ODT tomorrow without much difficulty.

Triathlon has been marketed for many years with enticers and sprints but in the early days we all used to start with the distances similar to ODT because that's all there was if you didn't want to go long.

The shorter distances are definitely good for attracting people to try the sport, but they're certainly not mandatory.

For one of mates, his first tri was the old 3 Day Ultra Tri in Canberra. 15km swim, 400km cycle, 100km.

He phoned me up a few weeks later before doing his second. The conversation went something like,

"So how's the ITB? How are you pulling up?"

"Yeah, it's doing OK. I'm doing an Olympic distance at Nelson Bay on Sunday. Mate, what do I actually have to do in the transitions?"

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm back to the Aquabike, the Osteo has removed my running privileges again 😂 #toohard #toofast most likely!

The +1 is still in for the Try-a-Tri, but is concerned about the water temp, unfortunately I do not have my old Orca TRN which would have fitted him, I kind of destroyed it (it was thin neoprene). Most of the suits for rental or sale are smaller sizes and we really need something in the 80kg+ scale. Might just tell him to brave it...

Edit: Anyone want to meet at the pub for a beer/cider/softdrink on Saturday?

Edited by MissJess

On 02/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, MissJess said:

I'm back to the Aquabike, the Osteo has removed my running privileges again 😂 #toohard #toofast most likely!

too much too soon is what I saw on strava... you need to start a lot lot easier than what you did coming back

• Like 3

I'm playing guess work mostly as I am not spending the cash on a coach. But running less often will be the name of the game now. I need to complete the Hills series and also do at least one qualifier at standard distance for Lausanne.

Sunday went as well as it could have, that is the longest swim I have done out there, and a 9am start is not great as thats when the chop starts. After a stagger up the stairs to get my head back from dizzy, I did the usual fingers down the throat to dry retch 🤢 and then get on the bike. My bike times are improving. Wish I could have seen the power numbers, but I keep on forgetting the Quarq is a battery hog and it wants to drain every 6 months.

EE told me they had something like 60+ no shows for the Try-a-Tri, it is free, so I guess the only cost to EE is a race pack and one day licence fee (as they still have to pay it for the no shows). That's a bit of a waste on the participants part, as they are now on EEs system which means they probably have to pay for the next one they enter.

49 minutes ago, MissJess said:

also do at least one qualifier at standard distance for Lausanne

What age group are you in?

Any thoughts on your qual race?

Go the gong. I may or may not be at canberra and i do NOT need the competition!

Smileyface

Edited by Turts
  • Haha 1

@MissJess, my wife snapped one or two photos of you on the bike if you're interested. 

I think we got away with a bit less chop than those doing the sprint, the wind had kicked up a bit by 10 am.

Thanks @xblane I'm on facebook and Insta, would love to see them. 

Yeah a friend of mine was doing the sprint and said the chop was pretty bad. That seems to be normal though as the chop is the same at Big Husky on the Saturday. There is a video of me staggering out of the water after only 750m. 🤣

Thanks for listening Emo. We need more race directors to consider feedback.

Scotty had a great time at the Try-a-Tri, he's asking about the next away race, might wait until the water is a bit warmer for him.

9 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Thanks for listening Emo. We need more race directors to consider feedback.

Scotty had a great time at the Try-a-Tri, he's asking about the next away race, might wait until the water is a bit warmer for him.

EE do some nice tweaks frequently. Smart move I think moving this years little husky to a bit later in the year.

When can we start a big husky thread?