Sign in to follow this  
Flanman

Getting Old

I hate it.  Still think I'm a naive 18 year old inside......

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Flanman said:

All of a sudden, we've all gone grey.

FM

Ironically Greyman has turned white. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, goughy said:

I hate it.  Still think I'm a naive 18 year old inside......

I think we're all older than we think.

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

FM

I actually got my first streaks of grey in grade 12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

FM

or bald (which I'm renaming aero)

Edited by lawman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MissJess said:

I'm not, but then I get my hair coloured! (I do wonder if I will go grey)

Apparently my wife went grey a few years ago. I never realised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, A2K said:

You're talking about the colour at the top of the page right? 

Image result for thats the fact jack

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flanman said:

FM

I still enter the 18-24 age group. Been in this age group for 30 years now.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Trying to get that easy spot for Kona?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Better than the alternative

Getting younger?

56 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

That's ok if that is the age group you identify as

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd that's ok, I'll be lining up on Saturday next year at Mool in the kids race!

• Haha 1

It is not just us humans

Rory in the avatar is fading as he is now 12 (96 in dog years)

he has gone from red to tan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I'd that's ok, I'll be lining up on Saturday next year at Mool in the kids race!

IronKids!

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

If I make it to Port next year, I will be racing in my 8th different age group.

My body gave me stern warning that I'm growing older a couple of weeks ago. A friend had asked me if I wanted to do Mudfest. Of course my immediate response was yes, then my second was "What is it?"

5 km run with obstacles and mud. No probs or so I thought. About 4km in there was a 5 metre wide pit containing a large trampoline. Hit it at speed and you bounce straight out the other side. A combination of competitive instinct and congenital stupidity led to a torn quad muscle. Could actually feel the torn muscle snap back, retracting up the thigh.

If that wasn't enough to remind me that I'm not as young as I was, when I hobbled into the first aid tent half carried by my friend, the paramedic asked me "So, is this your daughter?" :man:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, A2K said:

You're talking about the colour at the top of the page right? 

Speak for yourselves, I am merely 31. My body however, well I'm told, is not getting any younger. It'll give up before I do. 

8 hours ago, lawman said:

OK and the Transitions logo now appears in my bookmarks

We're taking over :P Just wait till I work out a way to get it into your dreams... :Dr_Evil:

12 hours ago, Peter said:

Ironically Greyman has turned white. 

It's true. Started going grey at 21, fully grey by 35, only a matter of time before turned white. But still got a full head of hair.

id change my handle to Whiteman but that would just attract trolls, and the PC nazi's. So although white is an accurate discription all round, white is good, white is ok and it'll be right on WhiteNight; the tree hugging, chai latte sipping fun police would hunt me down and hang me at dawn if I called myself " Whiteman."

12 hours ago, lawman said:

and have to get up every night for a piss 😂

4 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Better than not getting up to have one.

Like the old joke, where the old man is asked what's the best and worst thing about getting old?  And he says the best is that he's gotten very regular and goes to the toilet every day at 6am; the worst thing is that he doesn't get up till 7!

I'm not allowed to feel old, just got back from my Dad's 80th birthday celebration, he is still farming 2,000 acres and not showing any sign of slowing down.  He had a pacemaker fitted just over 10 years ago which really gave him a new lease on life, the only thing he has stopped is figured he is too old to ride the motorbike on the hills now so parked it up and takes the ute instead (mind you his motorbike was near 30 years old anyway).  He's currently looking for a new farm ute, his old one is showing a bit of rust and age after 20 odd years so figured he needed a new one to see him out the next 20 years

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

I'm not allowed to feel old, just got back from my Dad's 80th birthday celebration, he is still farming 2,000 acres and not showing any sign of slowing down.  He had a pacemaker fitted just over 10 years ago which really gave him a new lease on life, the only thing he has stopped is figured he is too old to ride the motorbike on the hills now so parked it up and takes the ute instead (mind you his motorbike was near 30 years old anyway).  He's currently looking for a new farm ute, his old one is showing a bit of rust and age after 20 odd years so figured he needed a new one to see him out the next 20 years

I'm convinced 30+ years in a desk job staring at a computer screen has hastened my physical demise, even though I do some exercise for 30-60mins almost every lunchtime plus weekends.  Having an active job where you are always on your feet moving about is the way to go I reckon, esp with regard to keeping the joints in good shape.  My younger brother does bugger all formal exercise apart from a little skiing in winter, but has always had 'on his feet' jobs & his joints are in much better shape than mine, even though he carries a more weight.

On the plus side, I still have all my hair & it is 95% still the colour it was in my 20's and grows at an alarming rate.

If your Dad has a Hilux, it'll go another 20 😉

I have an active job with sore hands and knees now days and still a gut.  Granted I do eat everything in sight.  My hair might not be the same colour it was but I have enough of it to share with about 20 of ya's, maybe 30.

4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

On the plus side, I still have all my hair & it is 95% still the colour it was in my 20's and grows at an alarming rate.

Yeah but WHERE does it grow? Ears, nostrils, back? Getting old is awesome 😁

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

It's fantastic when parents set a benchmark.

My mum has flown over from Sydney to visit me in Perth. She is 90 and though her eyesight is declining due to macular degeneration, we're still enjoying a busy couple of weeks going to the theatre, concerts and opera.

We've also had a few trips to the pool and while I swim 2 km to her one, she can still swim 50 fly faster than me. :unsure:

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 4

I went to hear British mountaineer and climber Chris Bonington speak earlier this year and see the aptly titled movie of his life, Bonington. Mountaineer.

Many people say "I still want to be doing what I'm doing now in 10 years time", but when it comes from a man in his 80s it's impressive.

It's an amazing film of an extraordinary, and at times tragic, life.

Pivotal to the film is the 1966 first ascent of The Old Man of Hoy, a 140 metre rock pillar rising from the turbulent ocean off the bleak Scottish coast, and Bonington's subsequent return to repeat the climb nearly half a century later to celebrate his 80th birthday.

See it. Be inspired.

I too am not allowed to feel old. My dad at 91 is just about to go in for a major shoulder reconstruction. His golfing days are now over. My mum just turned 88 and still plays tennis every week. They both drive everywhere and even long trips. And they travel everywhere. Hoping the good genes as being passed down.

In relation to Paul Every above -  "A combination of competitive instinct and congenital stupidity led to..."  This is me when I go skiing - I ski hard - but have stopped my self going into terrain parks and hitting the bigger jumps. 50yo bones are not susceptible to big air jumps.

Having an active job where you are always on your feet moving about is the way to go I reckon, esp with regard to keeping the joints in good shape.  My younger brother does bugger all formal exercise apart from a little skiing in winter, but has always had 'on his feet' jobs & his joints are in much better shape than mine,

I believe that is an advantage I have worked harder than all my brothers and now enjoy more strength, flexibility and hair - there's got to be something about hard work and good health  

That's right AP and while regular exercise can compensate to some extent, it is not the same as having the body moving all day, even if it is only fairly gentle moving.

But you just gotta do what you can do with the hand you are dealt.

10 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I'm convinced 30+ years in a desk job staring at a computer screen has hastened my physical demise, even though I do some exercise for 30-60mins almost every lunchtime plus weekends.  Having an active job where you are always on your feet moving about is the way to go I reckon, esp with regard to keeping the joints in good shape.  My younger brother does bugger all formal exercise apart from a little skiing in winter, but has always had 'on his feet' jobs & his joints are in much better shape than mine, even though he carries a more weight.

If your Dad has a Hilux, it'll go another 20 😉

My two brothers both work in "active jobs" & they both cary more weight than me & their joints are stuffed. 

I work in a desk job & have had no problems.  Get your desk & chair set up correctly & you will be fine. 

Ap is kinda right.  But it can still only do so much.  They other aspects of his life help with that.

I've worked on my feet since I was 25 and am moving around and lifting etc.  I was 10kg heavier at my worst (just before I took up jogging and then tri) 10 years ago, and 20kg heavier than I want to be and need to get back to.  But I know if I hadn't had the job I did I would have been much much heavier!  But without looking after the other aspects of my lifestyle, the physical job can only do so much.  And the issues I'm having now are really unrelated to the job itself though they affect it.

22 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I went to hear British mountaineer and climber Chris Bonington speak earlier this year and see the aptly titled movie of his life, Bonington. Mountaineer.

Many people say "I still want to be doing what I'm doing now in 10 years time", but when it comes from a man in his 80s it's impressive.

It's an amazing film of an extraordinary, and at times tragic, life.

Pivotal to the film is the 1966 first ascent of The Old Man of Hoy, a 140 metre rock pillar rising from the turbulent ocean off the bleak Scottish coast, and Bonington's subsequent return to repeat the climb nearly half a century later to celebrate his 80th birthday.

See it. Be inspired.

Yup, that sounds like a film I'd enjoy.