AA7

Noosa Tri 2018

Congrats Cranky. 1st of 166 in AG and 35th female overall. Ran down second place to win by two seconds.  😎😍

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Congrats Cranky. 1st of 166 in AG and 35th female overall. Ran down second place to win by two seconds.  😎😍

FM

So awesome 😎💪🤘

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Flanman said:

FM

Great effort for sure but not sure she "ran down" second place... ran faster than second place maybe...

• Like 1

I assume @AA7 mustered up something a bit better than a walk too? 

But, with Cranky finishing in front at Worlds and at Noosa, is she the new Queen? ;)

27 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I assume @AA7 mustered up something a bit better than a walk too? 

But, with Cranky finishing in front at Worlds and at Noosa, is she the new Queen? ;)

I'll be back. Cant be disappointed with being only 35secs back knowing i can comfortably run 7-8 mins faster than my foot allowed me to today. I was stupid and stubborn today. Paying for it now. 

Get back to me when Cranky has 6 AG wins 😉

Edited by AA7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Get back to me when Cranky has 6 AG wins 😉

Do you have 6 Noosa wins? Nice one!

I think we should all go back next year and get 1, 2, 3 - order to be contested 😜

• Like 2

Cranky,

I'm pretty sure there was a post a few months ago where you were talking about doing too many sessions on the bike in a week, and when I said you weren't over-training for OD I got shot down. I said something along the lines of having to do a lot of work to be a good OD athlete.

I feel a lot better now. :)

And congratulations on the win today. I'll bet the feeling you got when you won your AG made all those hard training sessions worth it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Compare your bike time here 

03D07ACB-7C48-4137-9A03-CC513BF83A5F.png

He's only got about 11mins on me.

Meanwhile, some people need to prepare better for the races they enter. The swim conditions were choppy but not difficult. Many people were getting brought in by the lifesavers in the rubber duckies. I even heard some people saying they should've moved the swim to the canal. 

9 hours ago, AA7 said:

Meanwhile, some people need to prepare better for the races they enter. The swim conditions were choppy but not difficult. Many people were getting brought in by the lifesavers in the rubber duckies. I even heard some people saying they should've moved the swim to the canal. 

I was in the very last wave to leave, so was watching from up in the surf club and saw quite a few people rescued by the lifesavers.  And yes, I heard several say it should be moved back to the canal.  Locals also told me that beach is calm as a millpond most of the time.

Where we live, it is impossible to practice in those conditions (unless I can find a way to make the cod in Copeton go crazy & thrash up a chop ), but I practice head-lifting & sighting a lot in the pool which helps.  And the marker buoys were huge at Noosa, very easy to see which also helped.  My pool swim time for 1500m is 26:45, and y'day my actual time in the water was 27:46 so very pleased with given the chop.  Was expecting well over 30 mins watching the other waves battle through.

Interestingly, I noticed watching the FB live video beforehand the pros lift their heads and sight every 2-4 strokes.  I was counting at least 10 strokes before sighting.  There were people all around me breast-stroking too.

Looks OK in this photo from the surf club, but was pretty lumpy once you got wet.

SwimStart.jpg

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cranky,

I'm pretty sure there was a post a few months ago where you were talking about doing too many sessions on the bike in a week, and when I said you weren't over-training for OD I got shot down. I said something along the lines of having to do a lot of work to be a good OD athlete.

I feel a lot better now. :)

And congratulations on the win today. I'll bet the feeling you got when you won your AG made all those hard training sessions worth it.

We reduced Cranky’s training over the last 6-8 weeks or so. There was more quality and less quantity. You can definitely over train when you’re working full time and a full time mum/wife. 

17 minutes ago, willie said:

You can definitely over train when you’re working full time and a full time mum/wife. 

Agreed, but Cranky's a teacher, and have you seen what the kids do at home. ;)

Recovery is important, but I think a lot of IM focused people don't realise how much work it takes to do OD properly.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed, but Cranky's a teacher, and have you seen what the kids do at home. ;)

Recovery is important, but I think a lot of IM focused people don't realise how much work it takes to do OD properly.

Wasn't AA7 the counterpoint though?  I think she trained far less..

Only way to know is for cranky to train for noosa 2019 on 3 sessions per week of each sport..

16 hours ago, Flanman said:

FM

Brilliant effort, well done Cranky.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gregor_McBoob said:

Swim was good fun, would have been a shame to have shifted it.

I think with the numbers they have at that race, they've outgrown the canal, and they'd find it extremely difficult to cram everyone in there, and still get the race through before all their mandatory cut-off times.

Congrats to all who finished - tough day out there in the heat.

I cant recall in seeing so many people either pulled out of swim or needing an ambulance on the run.

The swim was choppy but had nothing on the sunny coast 70.3 swim! 

Bit of an anomaly for Noosa to kick up like that, but I think in general some events need to temper the way they promote the conditions - events like kingscliff and tweed who openly promote "downhill or tide assisted swim" are asking for trouble if people turn up undertrained and don't get the conditions as expected.

On a side note - is anyone actually a fan of the SIS electrolytes - have to be one of the worse tasting stuff on the market in my opinion!

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Only way to know is for cranky to train for noosa 2019 on 3 sessions per week of each sport..

I obviously don't train at all, nothing on Strava.

• Haha 1

I changed my wave start from legends to age group, which added 2 hours into my start time.

starting at 8.40 made sure the heat and swell were certainly up and was in for a long day , Luckily I did picking up 2nd  55-59 male

Fantastic event as usual and will be back for # 24  next year 🤔

• Like 4

Took it easy (as per Dr's instructions not to "race" ) and went around in 2:29:27  and during presentations the app said I'd finished (at 482nd O/A) but this morning I was perplexed to see that I'd been re-flagged as DNF

hmm the finish line photo seems to disagree....???

IM say they will look into it for me.

Back next year for #35 God willing.

Edited by trifun
speling agian
  • Like 1

I can’t believe not one of you mongrels found me some cheap tri shorts. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

I can’t believe not one of you mongrels found me some cheap tri shorts. 🤬

Wait until next year when FOHER bring out FOHIM. I'm not even kidding. Although, maybe it's called FOBRO.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Wait until next year when FOHER bring out FOHIM. I'm not even kidding. Although, maybe it's called FOBRO.

Didnt I trademark that back after the hair braiding post...? 

Stats for you....

individuals at Noosa

5371 entrants (1002 DNS)

Therefore: 4370 starters

222 listed as DNF

43 were DQed (only four of these did not actually finish)

Leaves 4104 official individual finishers

(I took the liberty of moving my results from DNF to Finishers pending IM explaining why they moved me from finisher to DNF overnight?)

1002 DNS ??? presumably this includes everyone who with drew since last Novembers "sellout entry close"?

I'll have splits and relative places per segment latter this week.

Edited by trifun
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, trifun said:

Stats for you....

individuals at Noosa

5371 entrants (1002 DNS)

Therefore: 4370 starters

222 listed as DNF

43 were DQed (only four of these did not actually finish)

Leaves 4104 official individual finishers

(I took the liberty of moving my results from DNF to Finishers pending IM explaining why they moved me from finisher to DNF overnight?)

1002 DNS ??? presumably this includes everyone who with drew since last Novembers "sellout entry close"?

I'll have splits and relative places per segment latter this week.

Just now, Peter said:

1002 x entry = easy cash 

Money for nothing...

8 hours ago, willie said:

We reduced Cranky’s training over the last 6-8 weeks or so. There was more quality and less quantity. You can definitely over train when you’re working full time and a full time mum/wife. 

So is this an official announcement that you are Crankys coach or is this like AP/PJ?? 😀

where those stats get interesting is that if I drill inot my personal results it tells me:

that it was out of 4214 (starters?/ finishers ? does not add up with the figures I got by porting all of the published results (as of 11 am this morning) into excel), additionally 2967 males and 147 in the legends. Yes I took the early start - to stay out of the heat and have a reduced congestion bike ride (having passed most of the Smiddy's in the swim) whilst avoiding the competition (for health reasons) in the Open Masters wave I usually enter.

Edited by trifun

A friend asked me about 12 yesterday why I did not start as I was listed as a DNS, and now today I am also I DNF with me dropping out after the first run sector. I emailed my Garmin file today so hopefully it will be fixed

How many in the Legends wave Ron as I could not get in as it was full? You would think they would have more than one wave if the first one filled up.

There's an idea....

(less a min or so it took me to get around to stopping the watch post race)

Noosa Garmin File.png

Edited by trifun

11 minutes ago, James said:

How many in the Legends wave Ron as I could not get in as it was full? You would think they would have more than one wave if the first one filled up.

From my excel - legend stats (all genders):

image.png.192ccedd75bcd6270491c79ecbd577a6.png

image.png

Edited by trifun

38 minutes ago, pieman said:

So is this an official announcement that you are Crankys coach or is this like AP/PJ?? 😀

Cranky tells me what races she wants to do. Then she tells me what training she wants to do. Then I tell her she's doing too much too slow and to shorten it up a little and go harder. Now she's also been told that chicken wings while running are not on. Until the end of year I think running will be the focus, I reckon she's capable of going faster than she is at the moment. 

Can you coach me too Willie?  I have no problems with doing less, slower, and shorter!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Now she's also been told that chicken wings while running are not on. Until the end of year I think running will be the focus, I reckon she's capable of going faster than she is at the moment. 

I agree. The times she is giving for Parkrun just don't add up to her ability.

I'll let you do the "coaching", but she really needs to learn how to run fast. When you can run a km in 3 minutes, it makes running 4min/km in a race feel that much easier.

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Cranky tells me what races she wants to do. Then she tells me what training she wants to do. Then I tell her she's doing too much too slow and to shorten it up a little and go harder. Now she's also been told that chicken wings while running are not on. Until the end of year I think running will be the focus, I reckon she's capable of going faster than she is at the moment. 

Has to get up on her toes, been telling her that for years.

17 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Has to get up on her toes, been telling her that for years.

as if she'd listen to you anymore...  😉 😁

• Haha 1

My daughter runs with chicken wings!  Good enough for cranky, then it's good enough for her!

16 minutes ago, goughy said:

My daughter runs with chicken wings!  Good enough for cranky, then it's good enough for her!

Doesn't she drop them?

20 hours ago, AA7 said:

No way!! Leave it in the surf.  The cabal is yuck.

9 hours ago, pieman said:

I would be interested to know what AA7 trains each week.

3 sessions of each? No way! I would go mental! That's definitely not enough!

8 hours ago, Gregor_McBoob said:

Swim was good fun, would have been a shame to have shifted it.

If Cranky was wearing AUS kit then she rode past me. Extremely rude.... 

Yes I was. Did you yell at me? I had a few shoutouts yesterday but didn't know who they were. Thank you! Oh and sorry about going past you.

5 hours ago, plugga said:

I changed my wave start from legends to age group, which added 2 hours into my start time.

starting at 8.40 made sure the heat and swell were certainly up and was in for a long day , Luckily I did picking up 2nd  55-59 male

Fantastic event as usual and will be back for # 24  next year 🤔

Well done and congratulations!

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

Feels even warmer today i think.

Yes! Much warmer!

1 hour ago, trifun said:

From my excel - legend stats (all genders):

image.png.192ccedd75bcd6270491c79ecbd577a6.png

image.png

Ok Computer guru, how can I look at all the results with the split times of each leg? I would like to see how I went compared to the others in each leg, not just overall time. But the only way I can see to do that is to go into each one individually. That's just a waste of time! And I don't want to know that badly.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Chicken wings are yummy!

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Can you coach me too Willie?  I have no problems with doing less, slower, and shorter!

Faster, not slower!

I've created a Monster 👹  

Wife & SIL just booked accomm for the Byron Bay Tri next May for another team effort as they loved doing Noosa as a team so much (cos they didn't nearly drown like me). Team Mighty Muppets (apt) - a name they used for many years as a female team in the South West Rocks Tri & they usually won their cat. 

Never been to Byron so might as well.

• Like 4