Jump to content
Peter

Is triathlon dead in Sydney?

Recommended Posts

I miss the balmoral beach triathlon. Riding out to the navy base and back and then the run up the steps at the side of the beach. 

And the triathlon brats used to do at North Bondi off the boat ramp out the back and riding out to Watson’s bay. 

Pier One triathlon,  my first ever triathlon and running over the Sydney Harbour bridge  

Bloody hell we were lucky back in the 90’s to do some awesome course. 

About the only Sydney race I never did was the MMM Ironman out at West Head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only done a few Tri's in Sydney. Most of them a long time ago. I did enjoy the Royal national park Tri the two times I did it. 

When my brother lived in Sydeney, he was a regular with Billy's Bushies at the park. I ran with them a few times when I was visiting my bro and that group of runners were always friendly ( and fast at times). Enjoyed the coupla runs I did with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parramatta Park duathlons got too much of a PITA to run, so we moved to Penrith

  • Race start was 8am and we had to be out quickly.
  • Rack setup was the day before as doing that on the morning would have meant a 5am start, at least once I have seen our racks damaged when arriving to setup the rest in the morning. I was told by others that racks had been taken and thrown into the river (yes there is security on site, but ineffective)
  • The cost to hire was getting too steep.
  • Even though all road gates were closed they started asking us to get professional traffic management plans done, and hire people with yellow cards to work on site.
  • We had to hire fencing to fence off transition, so it was always an extra cost.
  • We could only run one race, which was 3.2/19/3.2. No other distances could be offered, and no kids. 
  • Edit: They cancelled on us a couple of times, which got pretty annoying, the admin to refund or transfer was horrendous.

We now run out at Penrith with a sprint 5/20/2.5, enticer 2/10/1, and shorter stuff for the kids under 12. It means the whole family can get involved :) Also costs us less as a club to run in terms of $$ and volunteers. It's a shame, but I do love the offering of an enticer distance for those of us who cannot do 5k all that quickly!

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Oatley Park would be a good spot, st george cycling still do club racing in there too

Ive done races there with smitty.  

Can you swim there?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shame Cronulla never took off. Good swim north of Wanda, couple of laps of Kurnell then the sandhills tracks. Plenty of parking and room for transitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Oatley Park would be a good spot, st george cycling still do club racing in there too

We used to race at Oatley Park in the late '80s when aquathons were popular. Also Kyeemagh, Narrabeen, Clovelly, etc.

5 km run followed by an 800 metre swim. Speedos mandatory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, Peter said:

I miss the balmoral beach triathlon. Riding out to the navy base and back and then the run up the steps at the side of the beach. 

Balmoral Triathlon Club still have a race series. There's one on Sunday 2 December and an Aquathlon on 14 December. There's also series of 1km swim time trials (one on Sat 17 November) and a series of 5km run time trials (none in nov/dec though).

You can find full details here: http://www.balmoraltriclub.org.au/races/

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2018 at 10:03 AM, MissJess said:

Parramatta Park duathlons got too much of a PITA to run, so we moved to Penrith

  • Race start was 8am and we had to be out quickly.
  • Rack setup was the day before as doing that on the morning would have meant a 5am start, at least once I have seen our racks damaged when arriving to setup the rest in the morning. I was told by others that racks had been taken and thrown into the river (yes there is security on site, but ineffective)
  • The cost to hire was getting too steep.
  • Even though all road gates were closed they started asking us to get professional traffic management plans done, and hire people with yellow cards to work on site.
  • We had to hire fencing to fence off transition, so it was always an extra cost.
  • We could only run one race, which was 3.2/19/3.2. No other distances could be offered, and no kids. 
  • Edit: They cancelled on us a couple of times, which got pretty annoying, the admin to refund or transfer was horrendous.

We now run out at Penrith with a sprint 5/20/2.5, enticer 2/10/1, and shorter stuff for the kids under 12. It means the whole family can get involved :) Also costs us less as a club to run in terms of $$ and volunteers. It's a shame, but I do love the offering of an enticer distance for those of us who cannot do 5k all that quickly!

Thanks for the background info. It's really good to know why decisions were made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No probs Toolex :)  I am here to primarily serve the club I am on the management committee of (Hills), but as we run public events, I am also here in part to serve the triathlon community. I would want to know why things change too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×