Peter

Its time to free Lance to Kona

Eugh, Lance's crimes go beyond just doping. Systemic bullying, ruining others careers for one, lying to how many other cancer sufferers. You can't really compare Lance with Vinokourov. 

Edited by dazmuzza
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree 

either give everyone a lifetime ban that test positive or reduce lances life time ban to 5 years and let him come and smash em at Kona 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Eugh, Lance's crimes go beyond just doping. Systemic bullying, ruining others careers for one, lying to how many other cancer sufferers. You can't really compare Lance with Vinokourov. 

None of that is illegal or against the WADA code 

if every arsehole got banned for life from sport then there wouldn’t be many folks doing much racing or playing football etc 

• Like 1

Lance did a pre/post "The Move" podcast on Kona - you can get an idea of lance, "other" cyclists and a few other things in there.  BTW Whilst I personally believe Lance is a complete A-hole I do find him quite entertaining.

I suppose.

I'd imagine there would be massive hype a la McGregor v Mayweather and he'd end up finishing 15th or something then fade away.

I say no. 

Life ban for drug cheats. They are so hard to catch as it is. The deterrent has to be something major.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, yoyo said:

Does Lance even still want to do Kona ? Does he still even do triathlons ? 

Everyone wants to do Kona. It's the only thing in life worth living for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I say let him race, it would be a buzz for is Age Group to be out there with him, I don't know if he would win. His Kona podcasts were pretty bad, his TDF podcasts were excellent. Considering he doesn't work and is well resourced I think he would be up there in the Age Race but not necessarily win it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, more said:

Drug cheats should have life bans and significant financial penalties-so much so that no one would ever risk cheating.

I think the point of the article is that there is one rule for all other cyclists, and then one for Lance.

Everyone else gets a short ban, and in many cases from that era a totally free pass. They run teams, coach, compete etc. 

I understand you think they should all have life bans, and that's fair too I suppose - except for the odd athlete that really does eat the one off contaminated cow/steak or has the occasional misfortune of miscounting their inhaler puffs ;)

Edited by dazaau

4 minutes ago, more said:

Drug cheats should have life bans and significant financial penalties-so much so that no one would ever risk cheating.

But then what about people wrongly caught up in circumstances where their salt tablets were contaminated? That's a bit hard on them.

12 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I think the point of the article is that there is one rule for all other cyclists, and then one for Lance.

While I think there should be a zero-tolerance approach to doping to act as a disincentive, I can see why there is a difference - the magnitude of his cheating was far beyond the average doper. It was a mark in the sand I guess.

Regardless, the whole system is screwed up. Ban them all.

1 hour ago, Rocket Salad said:

I say no. 

Life ban for drug cheats. They are so hard to catch as it is. The deterrent has to be something major.

Whilst I agree, it’s not what happens. 

So they should either let lance race again, or start banning all drug cheats for life. 

But the one rule for one person and one rule for another is BS. 

Just now, dazmuzza said:

While I think there should be a zero-tolerance approach to doping to act as a disincentive, I can see why there is a difference - the magnitude of his cheating was far beyond the average doper. It was a mark in the sand I guess.

How do you know that Ryf or wiggins or froome aren’t exactly the same and we just don’t know? Lance never tested positive and neither have the 3above. 

Note: Im not saying they are drug cheats. We just don’t know who is and who isn’t. 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

How do you know that Ryf or wiggins or froome aren’t exactly the same and we just don’t know? Lance never tested positive and neither have the 3above. 

Note: Im not saying they are drug cheats. We just don’t know who is and who isn’t. 

Yeah I think the dopers are one step ahead. Perhaps we'll never know.

Lance tested positive 7 times, a number of cover ups, fake prescriptions etc

Just now, Peter said:

Well, we don't really (though jury is out on both Wiggins and Froome).

Lance admitted to cheating after the mammoth amount of evidence suggested nearly beyond doubt he was.

The doping annoys me - but its the systematic bullying that Lance involved himself in that pisses me off far more: for years and year pursuing those who were telling the truth through the courts etc etc when all along he was lying. 

Has he paid his penance for the moral crimes his doping caused? I personally do not think so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Wasn't it just because he won? I mean his whole team was on the juice and they all got off scott free - surely the magnitude was the same for his own team. Jan, Pantani, they were all on it. And for balance so was our aussie friend Stuart O Grady, who apparently only did it once - but we have all heard that before. 

But I get where you are coming from. I think if you win 7 TDFs doping and get all the fame and glory then the fall has to be harder than some semi-successful cyclist or domestique. 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Well, we don't really (though jury is out on both Wiggins and Froome).

Lance admitted to cheating after the mammoth amount of evidence suggested nearly beyond doubt he was.

The doping annoys me - but its the systematic bullying that Lance involved himself in that pisses me off far more: for years and year pursuing those who were telling the truth through the courts etc etc when all along he was lying. 

Has he paid his penance for the moral crimes his doping caused? I personally do not think so. 

Yes, Lance was also being a horrible person. Agree.

26 minutes ago, dazaau said:

But I get where you are coming from. I think if you win 7 TDFs doping and get all the fame and glory then the fall has to be harder than some semi-successful cyclist or domestique. 

The fall was harder. How many other cyclists had 7 TdF titles stripped from them.

54 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But then what about people wrongly caught up in circumstances where their salt tablets were contaminated? That's a bit hard on them.

If that ever happens it can be decided then.

Guest FFF1077
2 hours ago, yoyo said:

Does Lance even still want to do Kona ? Does he still even do triathlons ? 

He'd show for the doe $$$$

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Whilst I agree, it’s not what happens. 

So they should either let lance race again, or start banning all drug cheats for life. 

But the one rule for one person and one rule for another is BS. 

Yep 

1 hour ago, zed said:

That’s just BS 

Once possibly, no diffent to fromey and his puffer 

3 hours ago, zed said:

Was I asleep and missed this?  

I think you are confused.  He won the tour 7 times.  Not tested positive 7 times.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Was I asleep and missed this?  

I think you are confused.  He won the tour 7 times.  Not tested positive 7 times.

Winning the tour is kinda like testing positive :lol:

• Haha 2

Surely saying he's never tested positive says more about the testing in his day than his innocence. 

There was an interesting interview with him on Freakonomics earlier this year and he talks about the incentive to dope extensively and it kind of makes sense - even today. It's difficult to make a full time living as a cyclist and the only ones who really do are the ones who win things and get big contracts, so there is a strong incentive to try cheat the system. 

Even today, don't they still say that if you dope and test positive it's because you stuffed something up, more than got caught?

• Like 1

except for the odd athlete that really does eat the one off contaminated cow/steak or has the occasional misfortune of miscounting their inhaler puffs 

But then what about people wrongly caught up in circumstances where their salt tablets were contaminated?

I'll never understand how the contamination of one's salt tablets happens to be by the steroid of choice for female athletes - do salt tablets ever get contaminated with something that will harm your performance ??? I'm sure mine were, because I didn't perform up to my expectations - I wonder what mine were contaminated with 🙄 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AP said:

I'll never understand how the contamination of one's salt tablets happens to be by the steroid of choice for female athletes - do salt tablets ever get contaminated with something that will harm your performance ??? I'm sure mine were, because I didn't perform up to my expectations - I wonder what mine were contaminated with 🙄  

Maybe the steroid of choice for Female Athletes. You did beat all the 70yr old women didn't you?

• Like 1

On 16/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, ironpo said:

That’s just BS 

Once possibly, no diffent to fromey and his puffer 

Twice. Once covered up by UCI and once got the pre dated prescription for testosterone.