Gilliga

I need a new shoe for Long Course

I used to always race I Brooks Racer ST and this was my perfect shoe, I could use it for sprint to ironman. It was discontinued a few years ago and ive since tried heaps of shoes and not been completely satisfied. I am now looking at trying the

Adidas Boston

Has anyone used these? I have been running in Adidas for the past few years but not that model. Ive tried Nike,Saucony Hoka, Asics and the new Brooks range and just not been happy.

I need a little bit of support as I roll in a bit, but if I wear a stability shoe I blister and feel slow. If I go a race flat I struggle also over 10km with blisters in the base of my feet. So I am a tough foot to find the perfect shoe. I used to be able get the ST Racer out f the box and run a 20km no issues, I wish it was still available!

I'm loving the NB Beacon. Willie can sort you out.

• Like 1

Not really a fan of Nikes, but I’ve bought some Nike Pegasus Turbos. Really good. 220gms and I felt fine after running 30 klicks

9 minutes ago, zed said:

Not really a fan of Nikes, but I’ve bought some Nike Pegasus Turbos. Really good. 220gms and I felt fine after running 30 klicks

Pegasus have actually come on my radar as a shoe I wanted to try, but the normal ones seemed a bit heavy, the turbo is one I wasn't aware of. Ive got a pair of Zooms that the running shop in Cronulla fitted me into to help my rolling inwards and they were great on the treadmill and the 5km run trial (great shop to do all that) but over 8-10km I cant stand them, so something a bit more neutral from nike might work for me.

Yeah I think they're 30% lighter than the standard Pegs. I've been racing in Asics Hyperspeeds, but don't think I'm going to run IMWA in them. Not sure. So the Pegs are an option. They feel fast.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

I'm loving the NB Beacon. Willie can sort you out.

Beacons are awesome and you might want to try the Saucony Fastwitch if you liked the ST4s. They're similar in a lot of ways. I used to wear the T7 and they replaced that at the same time as the ST4 :(

38 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Pegasus have actually come on my radar as a shoe I wanted to try, but the normal ones seemed a bit heavy, the turbo is one I wasn't aware of. Ive got a pair of Zooms that the running shop in Cronulla fitted me into to help my rolling inwards and they were great on the treadmill and the 5km run trial (great shop to do all that) but over 8-10km I cant stand them, so something a bit more neutral from nike might work for me.

Pegs are good but heavy, the peg turbo gets some pretty mixed reviews. Did you get Nike Zoom Elites or Structures to help you from "rolling in"? If it the structures they are on my list of the shittiest 5 shoes of the last 5 years. No one needs structures that is running IMO. 

I'm a huge Adi Boston wearer/fan, have been for a few years and they're not going to stop you from rolling in at all. I find pronation (and no it's not a bad thing) is more pronounced in Adidas Boston and Adios. Plus I'm slowly moving away from the 10mm height of them as well, my latest pair of adios have barely been touched :(

I grabbed a pair of the Nike Air Pegasus Turbo when I was in the USA. They look the business!!!!! I like the pink stripe down the middle.

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I grabbed a pair of the Nike Air Pegasus Turbo when I was in the USA. They look the business!!!!! I like the pink stripe down the middle.

You also wear on clouds. So. Er. No comment :P:lol: ok ok they're not bad, they just get stuff stuck in em all the time 

3 hours ago, willie said:

You also wear on clouds. So. Er. No comment :P:lol: ok ok they're not bad, they just get stuff stuck in em all the time 

I also have a faster Ironman marathon time than you.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I also have a faster Ironman marathon time than you.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've never trained for an ironman 😮

Well to be honest, any race post 2005 really. From 2006 I just get heavier, older and slower :lol: 

20 hours ago, Bored@work said:

a review from a pretty good runner... 

Nike Pegasus Turbo Review.

Have you ever driven a Prius on the freeway in a headwind or crosswind? Don't. Because that is what they feel like.

Instead of relaxing in your electric car you have to start working.

You will need to get a tighter grip on the steering wheel and keep pushing back against the wind turbo as it shoves your tin car near the white line or shoves it backwards.

Shoving it backwards leads me to the Sponge Bob heel Nike put at the back of this shoe cleverly masked by what looks like a very cool heel.

Well it's not. I am pretty sure they added the extra jutting tip on it after realizing how easy it would be to flat flat on your ass if you leaned back while just talking to someone in these while standing still?

They are a bit of a mad woman's breakfast.

You get no love back from them speed wise and have to work hard in them to get going. Kind of like talking to a person who is not remotely contributing to the conversation but just sucking the life out of you.

The one way shoe.

Also pretty sure they had to place what I call the Sanity Strip down the middle of the front of a shoe like a last minute seatbelt for your toes in the horrid knit upper that won't keep you stable if your life depends on it.

All round. Pretty shit for anything other than a good walk or easy slow recovery jog.

But this is only my opinion.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, willie said:

From 2006 I just get heavier, older and slower :lol: 

Most of us have gotten older since 2006 :P

12 minutes ago, trinube said:

I'm the ripe old age of 31. I should be in my prime. 

35 minutes ago, willie said:

a review from a pretty good runner... 

Yeah not a very good review! 

For me they seem to tick a lot of boxes as a training shoe, lightweight, cushioned and pretty quick. I wasn't expecting to feel as good as I did after running 30km in them, was definitely expecting some muscle soreness. I usually run in Hoka Cliftons for my long runs. I wouldn't race in these, at least not for a 70.3 or below, but am considering using them for IMWA. 

8 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah not a very good review! 

For me they seem to tick a lot of boxes as a training shoe, lightweight, cushioned and pretty quick. I wasn't expecting to feel as good as I did after running 30km in them, was definitely expecting some muscle soreness. I usually run in Hoka Cliftons for my long runs. I wouldn't race in these, at least not for a 70.3 or below, but am considering using them for IMWA. 

It's a fair review. I know she's done a lot of running in a lot of different shoes. If you like them there's probably a lot of others out there that are better. 

43 minutes ago, willie said:

It's a fair review. I know she's done a lot of running in a lot of different shoes. If you like them there's probably a lot of others out there that are better. 

Yeah it's hard to find good shoes. All you can go on is internet reviews or what mates tell you. I bought some Mizunos based on some rave reviews and they were horrible. I use them for gardening now! 

The Hoka Stinsons were shit to run in, the Clifton 3s are great, the Clifton 4s are heavier and shi!t. 

What would you recommend for a marathon/Ironman? I'm still thinking about running in my Hyperspeed racing flats, not sure how sore I'll get though. I've only ever run a HM in them. 

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Clifton 3s are great, the Clifton 4s are heavier and shi!t

There ya go.

I much prefer the 4s to the 3s. 

And the 4s are only 10g heavier. That's nothing)

Edited by Turts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trinube said:

Not me..... I now identify as a female 18-24 age grouper. Hawaii here I come. Lol

see the other thread for the reference.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah it's hard to find good shoes. All you can go on is internet reviews or what mates tell you. I bought some Mizunos based on some rave reviews and they were horrible. I use them for gardening now! 

The Hoka Stinsons were shit to run in, the Clifton 3s are great, the Clifton 4s are heavier and shi!t. 

What would you recommend for a marathon/Ironman? I'm still thinking about running in my Hyperspeed racing flats, not sure how sore I'll get though. I've only ever run a HM in them. 

Mate everyone who wears Clifton's and likes them loves the beacon. Even 3 people on trannies! What size Clifton are you wearing? 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Mate everyone who wears Clifton's and likes them loves the beacon. Even 3 people on trannies! What size Clifton are you wearing? 

I'm in a US9.

21 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Not me..... I now identify as a female 18-24 age grouper. Hawaii here I come. Lol

see the other thread for the reference.

you're crazy man - go the 80-85 ...

36 minutes ago, zed said:

I'm in a US9.

I have them in stock... Just grab em on website. 

41 minutes ago, willie said:

I have them in stock... Just grab em on website. 

I've got Pegs and 2 pairs of Cliftons to train in, just need some race shoes for IMWA. 

22 minutes ago, zed said:

I've got Pegs and 2 pairs of Cliftons to train in, just need some race shoes for IMWA. 

That's what most clifton wearers are wearing them (New Balance Beacon) for... AA7 can fill you in :)

• Thanks 1

What about the newer asic noosa’s ? Anyone tried them? Im loving all the different shoe models suggested, many I had not considered.

19 hours ago, Gilliga said:

What about the newer asic noosa’s ? Anyone tried them? Im loving all the different shoe models suggested, many I had not considered.

I personally wouldn't. Asics are so far behind at the moment it's not funny. They're trying to be innovative but it's falling pretty flat. Asics and Mizuno are losing market share over here pretty quickly I think. NB, Saucony, Nike, Hoka have all lifted their game in the last 24 months and Adidas/brooks are still pretty strong as always. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the ideas,

I tried a pair of Asics Noosa FF and did not like the feel of them at all, did a 10km and sold them next day for half price, the foam felt dead and I just didn't enjoy them at all, plus they felt very narrow.

I tried some Hoka's on, my girlfriend runs in Bondi's and loves them but it felt too soft for me, very strange, but I didn't get to run in them.

I bought a 2nd hand pair of Adidas Boston 5 online for $40 and loved them, did a fast training sesh in them then ran a 5km off the bike in a local sprint and they are a very good race shoe for me, I think it helps I'm training in other Adidas shoes and know the feel and fit of Adidas works for me. They are defiantly a race shoe maybe once a week interval sesh in them.

It would be great to try more of the shoes everyone has mentioned but the budget doesn't allow it. I have previously tried a lot of the brooks range as the ST Racer was my fav shoe before it was discontinued.   I did race in the Brooks Launch for an Ironman in 2016 when the St Racer ended but it just wasn't ideal for me, but it was pretty good.

So I will likely get a new pair of Boston 7s as I head into half ironman and long course races in the new year and just stick with the 2nd hand ones for a bit longer and try do a 90min training run in them to see how they feel over a longer sesh.

Although Brooks has  Neuro that I would like to try I am still a long time Brooks fan so Ill try track a pair down to give a crack.

Edited by Gilliga

I'll do my 33km run this Sunday in my Vaporflys if all good, I'll race in them in 3 weeks. I might just chuck my peg Turbos in my run bag just in case.

• Like 1

In terms of shoes though... I'm waiting on Willie's completed shoe list for the Big Shoe Data Project... but from N=1 go with the NB Beacons. Awesome shoe. I'm not a proper insect but I go alright on two legs (just slower on two wheels) and the beacons are the best shoe by far I have ever run in.

7 minutes ago, monkie said:

In terms of shoes though... I'm waiting on Willie's completed shoe list for the Big Shoe Data Project... but from N=1 go with the NB Beacons. Awesome shoe. I'm not a proper insect but I go alright on two legs (just slower on two wheels) and the beacons are the best shoe by far I have ever run in.

Im opposite - go ok on 2 wheels not 2 legs. Ive got the Beacons now (cheers Willie) & Im expecting signifanct speed coming my way 😊

Ooh maybe that doesnt sound like what I meant about speeeeed  🤔😄

18 minutes ago, Surfer said:

😊

Ooh maybe that doesnt sound like what I meant about speeeeed  🤔😄

I only sold shoes not Bennies. Willie does not stock Bennies :lol:

• Haha 1

Mate if you don't know what shoe you're going to race in this close you are leaving it too late - go with whatever you ran your 30km in - I don't know why people have all these different shoes - find what suits and do everything in them - if the other guy "rolls in a bit" he needs to work on his run technique not find a special shoe 😏

5 hours ago, AP said:

Mate if you don't know what shoe you're going to race in this close you are leaving it too late - go with whatever you ran your 30km in - I don't know why people have all these different shoes - find what suits and do everything in them - if the other guy "rolls in a bit" he needs to work on his run technique not find a special shoe 😏

nah it's cool. Was going to run in the Pegs, but I picked up the Vaporflys unexpectantly. I could run in either. Doing a long run this Sunday, will run in the Vaporflys and see how they go.