Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Data says wurf wasn’t even trying on the bike

Recommended Posts

Over 80% of max heart rate for 4hrs. That’s a fair effort. I’d say he was trying plenty. Given the conditions I reckon he’d actually be pissed he wasn’t another 7 minutes faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Over 80% of max heart rate for 4hrs. That’s a fair effort. I’d say he was trying plenty. Given the conditions I reckon he’d actually be pissed he wasn’t another 7 minutes faster.

He didn't have a train to sit behind like the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ave 296 watts.

As posted in another thread... would love to know how Ryf split the same time as the train and was within a few minutes of wurf for the 2nd half of the ride.

 

Edited to add... the data suggests he backed of in the 2nd half, but still averaged around 280 watts vs 310 or so for the first half.

Edited by Nick777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Ave 296 watts.

As posted in another thread... would love to know how Ryf split the same time as the train and was within a few minutes of wurf for the 2nd half of the ride.

 

Edited to add... the data suggests he backed of in the 2nd half, but still averaged around 280 watts vs 310 or so for the first half.

Didn't you hear her interview?  The jellyfish gave her magic powers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RunBrettRun said:

Didn't you hear her interview?  The jellyfish gave her magic powers.

Ha, I did see that.

The really cynical part of me thought it might get blamed if there some irregular blood values show up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Ave 296 watts.

As posted in another thread... would love to know how Ryf split the same time as the train and was within a few minutes of wurf for the 2nd half of the ride.

Power to weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Power to weight.

Power to weight?

She rode the same time as guys getting a draft & sharing the pace on relatively flat ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Power to weight?

She rode the same time as guys getting a draft & sharing the pace on relatively flat ground.

No one was sharing the pace: Dreitz was on the front for 90km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Andrew #1 said:

No one was sharing the pace: Dreitz was on the front for 90km

True. Much better that she did the same pace as one of the Uber bikers everyone talks about.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and what of Lucy Charles? Swim course record out in front beating most of the men's swim times who were in the slipstream. Also breaks the course the record. But oh yeah, she has that quaint English accent and the Keira Knightly smile so she must be clean.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Customer said:

and what of Lucy Charles? Swim course record out in front beating most of the men's swim times who were in the slipstream. Also breaks the course the record. But oh yeah, she has that quaint English accent and the Keira Knightly smile so she must be clean.

 

Ignoring the fact that she’s actually a world class swimmer in her own right and triathlon swimmers are a joke, yep. Right on the money there Crinchy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Customer said:

and what of Lucy Charles? 

 

This is your standard Ryf defense, deflection.

Do we just accept the person putting together historically dominant performances is all sweet because you like her? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Ignoring the fact that she’s actually a world class swimmer in her own right and triathlon swimmers are a joke, yep. Right on the money there Crinchy. 

but world class swimmers rarely make good runners. somehow Charles has gone from 13hr debut IM to breaking the Kona course record several short years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She would have gone even faster if she'd done something with those horrible, scary eyebrows!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Customer said:

I can't wait for the painted on eyebrow fad to go out of fashion. It's rife in the UK.

#chavlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Customer said:

Geez you're quick. Obsessed I would say.

I was uploading my swim and it was the most recent item in Strava. 

But anyway. Yeah I like him. But didn’t tip him to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Power to weight?

She rode the same time as guys getting a draft & sharing the pace on relatively flat ground.

which guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah claims of langes sponsors paying for a domestique but given they also sponsor the domestique how do you prove it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, yoyo said:

The A Sample will be very interesting this year 

 

9 hours ago, pieman said:

Red bull gives you wings..

 

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

True. Much better that she did the same pace as one of the Uber bikers everyone talks about.

Will Clarke posted this 

 

F54F78A2-FE15-4380-ACD1-2F963ACFD148.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pieman said:

Yeah claims of langes sponsors paying for a domestique but given they also sponsor the domestique how do you prove it..

Is it the same as the year Macca recruited the other guys to smash the bike & hurt the runners. I can't remember if he spoke about it in his book or on a podcast but I think I remember him saying he spent the year recruiting guys to help him on the bike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rocket Salad said:

I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.......

That is unbelievable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

MCKenzie was bitching about teams riding together. I think it's on Berkels instagram post

 

Don’t forget...Aussies never cheat

5BB1E10B-7AD1-43FE-847A-3385882E9124.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Is it the same as the year Macca recruited the other guys to smash the bike & hurt the runners. I can't remember if he spoke about it in his book or on a podcast but I think I remember him saying he spent the year recruiting guys to help him on the bike. 

That was a smart move by TGE and as far as I'm aware he only appealed to their commonsense by saying it's their only way to get on podium and no payments were made.  

This is more like bahrain 13 or team bmc team time trialing (legally under current rules) and their protected athlete just running the marathon..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Customer said:

I never said anything about like or dislike. More about making judgments based on speculation and little else.

 Correct

i was actually there and watch from multiple positions on the course as they all went up hawi as I was working on the course 

lucy was sitting on 3 male pros arse the whole way up 

ryf was off the front the whole time with two girls and a. Couple of blokes trying to hang on her wheel , the whole way up 

Lucy solo on the way down 

DR solo on the way down  , but from the time I first saw them the gap went from 9.5 mins to 6 mins even though Lucy was sitting WAY to close to the male pros in front of her 

 

but hay , this is transitions , don’t let any facts get in the way of good story 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ironpo said:

 Correct

i was actually there and watch from multiple positions on the course as they all went up hawi as I was working on the course 

lucy was sitting on 3 male pros arse the whole way up 

ryf was off the front the whole time with two girls and a. Couple of blokes trying to hang on her wheel , the whole way up 

Lucy solo on the way down 

DR solo on the way down  , but from the time I first saw them the gap went from 9.5 mins to 6 mins even though Lucy was sitting WAY to close to the male pros in front of her 

 

but hay , this is transitions , don’t let any facts get in the way of good story 

I cant recall seeing that on the feed but this is another reason to have a 20 metre zone.

Also if the top women are that good in their swim/bike combo, put them another 10 minutes behind the men on the start line (I know - that probably means pushing the Age groupers back another 10 minutes as well). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Huston. Do we have a problem?

I hate it when people throw around accusations for someone who has a clean record, but that is ridiculously quick... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zed said:

I hate it when people throw around accusations for someone who has a clean record, but that is ridiculously quick... 

Yeah it is but she always has as strong second half and comparing her times to Starky (who looked like he hit the wall) and Gomez (who said he overbiked) doesn't mean much.. sure it was a suspicious performance but I dont want to go down the route that many have already and deride it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

Yeah it is but she always has as strong second half and comparing her times to Starky (who looked like he hit the wall) and Gomez (who said he overbiked) doesn't mean much.. sure it was a suspicious performance but I dont want to go down the route that many have already and deride it... 

Yeah spot on. It wouldn't be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pieman - what about the comparison with Wurf - who was riding his way to a bike record and is probably the very best cyclist the sport has ever seen? She was only a little over 100 seconds slower in 70km: the hard 70km of the race as well. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I heard in commentary that Starky told the media bike he was cooked, or something similar? It was after he was off the front and fell back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Pieman - what about the comparison with Wurf - who was riding his way to a bike record and is probably the very best cyclist the sport has ever seen? She was only a little over 100 seconds slower in 70km: the hard 70km of the race as well. 

I guess this is a rhetorical question, but at what point do you stop accepting someone's performance and outright accuse them? I kind of feel that we need to give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what. But then you've got spanners like Justin Gatlin who is running faster at 37 "clean" than when he was doping at 21. It's clear the dopers are way ahead of the testers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Pieman - what about the comparison with Wurf - who was riding his way to a bike record and is probably the very best cyclist the sport has ever seen? She was only a little over 100 seconds slower in 70km: the hard 70km of the race as well. 

Who knows... maybe he had decided not to blow himself to pieces as he wanted to run the marathon? Given that he 'only' beat his previous record by 3 mins on the easiest day ever compared to the train going 12 mins faster,  charles 20 mins faster and ryf 27 mins faster? 

I am sounding like a ryf fanboi and I aint and I know LA ruined it for everyone, but where is the presumption of innocence?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pieman said:

Who knows... maybe he had decided not to blow himself to pieces as he wanted to run the marathon? Given that he 'only' beat his previous record by 3 mins on the easiest day ever compared to the train going 12 mins faster,  charles 20 mins faster and ryf 27 mins faster? 

I am sounding like a ryf fanboi and I aint and I know LA ruined it for everyone, but where is the presumption of innocence?

I suppose it will take some time for the physics experts to crunch the numbers and determine how power/ weight/ size/ frontal area etc all interplay on an easy day at Kona. 

Cam should have had a bigger lead but maybe calm conditions negate his strength benefit, and maybe Ryf had the right balance physiology for a day like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pieman said:

Who knows... maybe he had decided not to blow himself to pieces as he wanted to run the marathon? Given that he 'only' beat his previous record by 3 mins on the easiest day ever compared to the train going 12 mins faster,  charles 20 mins faster and ryf 27 mins faster? 

I am sounding like a ryf fanboi and I aint and I know LA ruined it for everyone, but where is the presumption of innocence?

I actually think you are on the ride track: I don’t think Cam was having an awesome day: if he was then in those conditions he was probably looking for another 7 minutes in the last 85km from the turn - he reached the turn 4:30 ahead but only put another 2 minutes on them by T2: Dreitz wasn’t driving too hard, otherwise his Captain would have been spat out the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I actually think you are on the ride track: I don’t think Cam was having an awesome day: if he was then in those conditions he was probably looking for another 7 minutes in the last 85km from the turn - he reached the turn 4:30 ahead but only put another 2 minutes on them by T2: Dreitz wasn’t driving too hard, otherwise his Captain would have been spat out the back.

He said in an interview post race that he was cruising the ride to make sure he had the legs for the run. That matches up with his first half/second half power/pace difference as well, and he did run very well (for him) for the first half or so of the run. Also he did outrun Gomez at the end..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

MCKenzie was bitching about teams riding together. I think it's on Berkels instagram post

 

A marshal said something to Lange early o n the bike when they were together. They looked to stay legal distance but swapped back and forth from time to time. These images are from pretty early in bike maybe like 25km -35km area. So they haven’t broken any rules and maybe was just a coincidence.

C1E46F1F-FC9A-470B-9C84-C16A5971104A.jpeg

E9EEB39C-4141-4813-90C8-B0E430910B97.jpeg

E688EB56-47DB-49B1-8750-A84B7544FCD2.jpeg

F3C333DD-010F-4E6D-A1FA-272BEA788033.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to see here. These other softcocks got rolled and now they wanna have a cry about it.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...