Naut

Melbourne Marathon 2018

Who’s in? 

I am lining up for #7. Did my calf about 6 weeks ago. Tried to run twice since then and it has gone badly. So this is going to be a day, unfit slog with the potential of going very wrong.

On the up side, looks like the weather will be great!

Edit to say - I am also doing my first run in brand new shoes of a different style to what I am used to just to add to the degree of difficulty. So if you are in Melbs tomorrow and see a mushroom cloud in the sky tomorrow, that was me blowing up

Edited by Naut
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Naut said:

Who’s in? 

I am lining up for #7. Did my calf about 6 weeks ago. Tried to run twice since then and it has gone badly. So this is going to be a day, unfit slog with the potential of going very wrong.

On the up side, looks like the weather will be great!

Edit to say - I am also doing my first run in brand new shoes of a different style to what I am used to just to add to the degree of difficulty. So if you are in Melbs tomorrow and see a mushroom cloud in the sky tomorrow, that was me blowing up

All the best Naut - looking forward to reading your report ☺

Yeah but I’m only doing the 10. Looking forward to it, thinking about ubering in and then running home afterwards 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, more said:

Yeah but I’m only doing the 10. Looking forward to it, thinking about ubering in and then running home afterwards 🤔

Why not run in and uber home after 15 beers at Transport

3 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Why not run in and uber home after 15 beers at Transport

Now that does sound like a good idea!!!

• Haha 1

Well I had the shocker I deserved, first time over 4 hours. It was a different experience though being a bit further back. Lots more walkers, people going down with intense cramp, etc.

Once the 4 hour pacer came past, I switched off and just enjoyed myself. Didn’t go as deep as I do most years, couldn’t see the point.

Conditions were great, except a couple of points where the wind kinda sucked.

• Like 1

Still had my obligatory bad maths moment. At the 40km mark I looked at my watch and it said 3:52. Had a brief “can I still go sub 4 hours?” moment of excited.

Then worked out it was back to back sub 4 min/kms and I was current doing 6 min/kms and I was already thinking about walking again.

Excitment over

• Like 1

Participated in the mara today. Did it as a marafun to try and limit my rum consumption and weight gain. Knew it was going to kick my ass pretty good but was pleasantly surprised. Took it just as a run and just jogged, the slowdown happened later than expected at 34km with the lack of km causing the quads to pack it in and roll the dad body in for 3:08. Energy wise good now but got sore legs!

• Like 4

Did the marathon too, came in at 4:22 after falling apart around 28km with quad cramps.

Tough day but kind of fun.  I'm a bit blown away by Ruley's "3:08 as a bit of fun".  sheeeesh

However, got the result I deserved on the day.
Some lessons learnt:
a) If it's hot back off the pace immediately, goal time of 3:50 is gone don't keep trying for it.   Oh...and when your heart rate is higher than the 1/2mara in July don't assume "she'll be right!".    How dumb can you be!
b) More long runs if possible.  I had a back injury a 8 weeks out which meant no long runs for 3 weeks.  Longest run a 26km and a 28km both slower than "easy" due to walk breaks.  I had little control over this one, it was what it was.
c) Do a weekly 30-60min run at marathon pace.  I was too focused on getting miles in at easy pace and neglected getting the legs more used to marathon pace.  I think this was a big contributor to the quad soreness at 2/3 distance.

So glad  I did it, it's an achievement and only my second ever stand alone mara, with a PB of 2 min in hard conditions.

Some big lessons learnt in the build up to IM OZ next year.

• Like 2

Well done SS and I am with you on Ruley's "3:08 as a bit of fun" comment. My training was targeting about a 3:10 until I did my calf and couldn't train.

I am more concerned by the words "and just jogged" 3:08 sheesh!!

Did the half and resigned myself to a real world "just jogged" but happened to run across a blind runner, Andrew, who's guides were working pretty hard so I "hung back" and lent a hand - helping to guide, clear the path, get drinks from the drink stations etc. It turns out Andrew has a pretty strong finish which had us, quite literally "at the end of our tether" so I ended up going pretty much flat out for the last k.  (so much for "hanging back" :))  I had a little bit of experience as I had done this before for an athlete on one of our WSTC races.

But what a rewarding experience, especially guiding up through the tunnel and into the 'G - taking it all in -  especially in the context of Andrew, who was doing it for the first time.  

• Like 2

There was a blind pacer in the marathon. Had two guides and a runner roped at the wrist. Not sure how all that works, but Kudos to the Melbourne Marathon organisation for saying if you can run the time you can be a pacer.

18 minutes ago, Naut said:

There was a blind pacer in the marathon. Had two guides and a runner roped at the wrist. Not sure how all that works, but Kudos to the Melbourne Marathon organisation for saying if you can run the time you can be a pacer.

How did they check their watch to make sure they were on pace?

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Did the half and resigned myself to a real world "just jogged" but happened to run across a blind runner, Andrew, who's guides were working pretty hard so I "hung back" and lent a hand - helping to guide, clear the path, get drinks from the drink stations etc. It turns out Andrew has a pretty strong finish which had us, quite literally "at the end of our tether" so I ended up going pretty much flat out for the last k.  (so much for "hanging back" :))  I had a little bit of experience as I had done this before for an athlete on one of our WSTC races.

But what a rewarding experience, especially guiding up through the tunnel and into the 'G - taking it all in -  especially in the context of Andrew, who was doing it for the first time.  

Im impressed too. I wish I could run that time.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

27 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Im impressed too. I wish I could run that time.

That was my PB time. Bastard!

11 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

I see sticksy ran a not to shabby time of 2.26 I think not bad at all !

He's always been a pretty handy runner. His old lady and brothers as well. Spent a lot of time chasing them around at various races. 

I reckon he might do a few faster than that as well. He's not that old yet. 

• Like 1