goughy

Kona Race Day Discussion

Ok, a few hours early!  Anyone know what time I have to get up to start watching (real time in Qld, not that fake southern time)!

And what are the best source to watch?  Ironman.com or will they have it on Facebook and would that be better?  Or no difference?

Who else is planning on getting up?  I'm going to lie on the couch the whole time, none of this wind trainer or treadmill crap for me ;);)  I haven't watched live for a few years now.

Guest FFF1077

Don't know but could this thread be blow by blow with random Trannie humour thrown in please? It'll be my afternoon reading tomorrow. 

I am crazy excited about it. I'm like this every year. ARGH 

10 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Thank you was about to ask the same thing. I think they start 0430 our time

You can only get it on face book

Ironman.com nbcsports.com and facebook

Oh shit, 2.30!!!  Really!!!!   Oh man.....

• Haha 1

Can you pause the video for a few hours? If so I might set the alarm, get up at 3 and pause it to watch at a respectable hour.

You know, like 4:30 or 5.

Severe rain and flash flooding forecast for the Big Island extending through Saturday evening.

Rained a lot on Mon/Tues evening, the most on race week for years. 

Cant think of the last time there was a lot of rain on race day.

• Sad 1

Guest FFF1077
1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Severe rain and flash flooding forecast for the Big Island extending through Saturday evening.

Rained a lot on Mon/Tues evening, the most on race week for years. 

Cant think of the last time there was a lot of rain on race day.

Rain, wind and heat..... Geez 

3 hours ago, goughy said:

And what are the best source to watch?  Ironman.com or will they have it on Facebook and would that be better?  Or no difference?

It is available live on Facebook. The video feed on ironman.com is geo bolocked and only available in the US.

Most companies block Facebook, including mine. I will be at work tomorrow and unable to watch it. Stupid WTC 😡

The coverage starts at 12:10 am Perth and Mongolia time

Any special procedures that I need to be aware of to get the Facebook feed? 

Is there really no other option?

ive got a 2 hour tempo TrainerRoad workout scheduled from about 7 to 9am. Will get up around 6:30 - in time for the Wurf train to blow the peloton into the lava verge on the climb to the turn around.

29 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

It is available live on Facebook. The video feed on ironman.com is geo bolocked and only available in the US.

Most companies block Facebook, including mine. I will be at work tomorrow and unable to watch it. Stupid WTC 😡

Mobile phone?

17 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Any special procedures that I need to be aware of to get the Facebook feed? 

Is there really no other option?

ive got a 2 hour tempo TrainerRoad workout scheduled from about 7 to 9am. Will get up around 6:30 - in time for the Wurf train to blow the peloton into the lava verge on the climb to the turn around.

get a facebook account

Just now, BarryBevan said:

get a facebook account

I’ve got one, and I’ve watched a few minutes of Welshy boring for Scotland in the pre-race recorded show. Is that it? Do I have to do anything else to get the live feed to tomorrow?

1 minute ago, Andrew #1 said:

I’ve got one, and I’ve watched a few minutes of Welshy boring for Scotland in the pre-race recorded show. Is that it? Do I have to do anything else to get the live feed to tomorrow?

thats it, its really easy and in spite of all the grumbling the coverage at world 70.3 was better than anything they have done before. I'm at a bit of a loss with Frodeno out. And ST will be in full Sanders meltdown

40 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Can always fire up the VPN.

Alarm set for 3.20, short walk to the garage and chromecast the Facebook feed to the big screen. I’ve been banking Turbo, weight and yoga sets for Sunday. Want to ride the bike leg (time wise) at minumum. 

I guess it depends on wind rate, but how does everyone think the heavy rain will break up the field on the Bike? Do you think the smaller/lighter runners will be at a bigger disadvantage than in the heat??

Just now, FFF1077 said:

Wurf. 

He will win if it rains. 

If it rains you’d think a bigger guy can win. 

Note: I have no idea how big wurf is. 

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Aprrently 181 cm and 71kg. He was a lightweight (under 80kg) rower and gave that away when the IOC dropped the lightweight catergories from the Olympic program in 2006. 

If it rains I reckon sanders will run sub 2:43. They won’t catch him if he gets off the bike near Wurf and 10 minutes up the road from the peloton. 

Guest FFF1077
25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Wurf is "bigger" 

He and Sanders will disappear and won't be seen again 

33 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Aprrently 181 cm and 71kg. He was a lightweight (under 80kg) rower and gave that away when the IOC dropped the lightweight catergories from the Olympic program in 2006. 

Those rowers are tough bastards and know how to enter the hurt locker, and come out the other side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Can always fire up the VPN.

The company blocks VPN also. 😤

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Mobile phone?

My work mobile only has a 1GB plan. I will have to use the video feed sparingly.

Sanders and Keinle give up time in the swim. Expect Gomez and Lange to be in the front pack. Gomez showed at 70.3 that he can sit in all day is not bothered by surges.

It depends on what wurf and starky do. If they blow by and sanders goes with them it gets interesting

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

What about nbcsports the email this morning from ironman said they were streaming live there and on the ironman website.

I hope so as I have no intention of joining FB just to watch a race.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

The company blocks VPN also. 😤

My work mobile only has a 1GB plan. I will have to use the video feed sparingly.

Well you can watch when you get home. Ironman now have split the coverage of all the Ironmans so far this year. 

I just went to ironman.com and then to live feeds and the was a link to their Facebook live coverage.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

So I'm not too clued up on Facebook live feeds..... or facebook really, so where do I look for it pls? 

The Ironman FB page?

On your Facebook page search for “Ironman now” that’s where it will be

• Thanks 1

Good morning dudes and dudettes!

My daughter is scheduled to arrive back at her school from a 4 day Sports carnival in about 7.5 hours....... Should I let her wait in the rain till the men have finished???

• Haha 2

Charles doing her best to get onto Josh's feet!

Lucy is about 15secs under Josh's time through 1.5mi of the swim!

Seeing one of the ag men breaststroking already makes me feel good!

• Like 1

Based on her pace and their distance markers, yes.  But their distance left indicator is way way out!  The men have had .1mi left for nearly 6 minutes now!  And it says Charles has .2mi left at 38 minutes, which would mean she is under the 46 minute men's record.

Looks like Sanders missed the second pack +6m out of the water and importantly +3m behind Wurf and Kienle

Oh please sharpen your bloody footage up!  Even wearing my old man reading glasses isn't helping!  I can't even read the bloody time and distance properly!!!

Ryf 9mins down on Charles out of the swim, and 4 mins slower than her swim last year!

Sanders is done I reckon, the uber bikers are well in front of him.  He has a lot of work to do on his own if is to make anything happen.  Will burn too many matches.

Think they said Kienle was out of the water 4mins faster than last year.

Ag'er got the swim course record in 46:30, thought he was gonna fall over going up the steps.

Might be time for a nap.  Can ya's wake me in an hour?