AA7

2020 Worlds 70.3

32 minutes ago, willie said:

No swim - too cold. Yay!!!

nah there is usually one day in November that is above 16 degrees..  actually just looked, average low of 7 and high of 18... the water might be a bit fresh bro

Even the kiwis we talked too said it would be too cold if it was in Sept or Oct--

So, its on the weekend before summer officially starts. Still reckon it’ll be too cold. In my experience the ‘sweet spot’ for Taupo runs from the Summer Solistic until the 3rd week of February: Most of the problems that IMNZ have had over the years could have been solved if that race was held 2-3 weeks earlier: the weather in that region changes with a real snap.

45 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

So, its on the weekend before summer officially starts. Still reckon it’ll be too cold. In my experience the ‘sweet spot’ for Taupo runs from the Summer Solistic until the 3rd week of February: Most of the problems that IMNZ have had over the years could have been solved if that race was held 2-3 weeks earlier: the weather in that region changes with a real snap.

You're not wrong. Last year, late Nov, it had lows of 5 C and highs of 9..

21 minutes ago, zed said:

You're not wrong. Last year, late Nov, it had lows of 5 C and highs of 9..

This may be the thing that prevents me from trying to qualify. I don't go well in the cold.

2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

This may be the thing that prevents me from trying to qualify. I don't go well in the cold.

Me neither. Zero fun riding when you're wet and it's 5 C.

7 minutes ago, AA7 said:

4 minutes ago, zed said:

Sweet.. can you also share these views with as many of the M45-49 age group as possible...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, pieman said:

Sweet.. can you also share these views with as many of the M45-49 age group as possible...

haha

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Get out to the dam through Winter. You'll soon develop a love for the cold. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This will have a negative impact on numbers at IMWA and WA 70.3 which will be held the weekend after.

Great to see the 70.3 WC being moved around the globe.

• Like 1

what a great result for NZ. Taupo is a great location for the race. I reckon there will be a good turn up for the race. I'm tipping a good representation from the Asia region. So the Aussie softys who can't race in mildly cool condition, might want try to condition themselves a bit by race early on in MelVegas in the 2019/20 season while the bay is still coolish. 

Than again, if y'all stay away from qualifying, older dudes like Flanman and me might score a trip to the Shakey isle.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zed said:

Well I wouldn't go that far :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

This will have a negative impact on numbers at IMWA and WA 70.3 which will be held the weekend after.

Great to see the 70.3 WC being moved around the globe.

Better KQ chances at IMWA..? 

Just looked at the water temperature - average for November is around 17C in the lake. 😲

FM

7 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Just looked at the water temperature - average for November is around 17C in the lake. 😲

FM

Put an extra set of sox in T1 to jam down the sluggos 👍👍👍

Problem solved 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Flanman said:

FM

This is the end of November, so probably a little warmer. Should be OK in a wetsuit.

13 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Better KQ chances at IMWA..? 

And better 70.3 2021 chances. Now all I have to do is take 2+ hour off my time to KQ 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

And better 70.3 2021 chances. Now all I have to do is take 2+ hour off my time to KQ 😀

2021 will probably be in Afghanistan 😂😂😂😂

Swim bike BOOM 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This is the end of November, so probably a little warmer. Should be OK in a wetsuit.

When I raced there in December 2016 the lake was 16deg.  Teeth were chattering when taking a breath, got out and couldn’t feel my toes or fingers

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

FM

sleeveless then

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I did the race track n 2004 the full and watermwas 16 c there. We swam so there will be a swim. 

I couldnt put my head under for the first 600 due to ice cream headaches. 

And then peepee gave us all a tip to go to the local garden shop and but garden gloves to start the ride in to keep your fingers from freezing. 

I rode 120k with them on. Haha. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I did the race track n 2004 the full and watermwas 16 c there. We swam so there will be a swim. 

I couldnt put my head under for the first 600 due to ice cream headaches. 

And then peepee gave us all a tip to go to the local garden shop and but garden gloves to start the ride in to keep your fingers from freezing. 

I rode 120k with them on. Haha. 

What the hell were you doing eating ice-cream at the start of the race?? 

14 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

2021 will probably be in Afghanistan 😂😂😂😂

Swim bike BOOM 

That's already a lot of competitive males' tactics for ironman. 

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

What the hell were you doing eating ice-cream at the start of the race?? 

Haven't you been told about the ironman nutrition secrets to shave hours off your time? You won't believe tip number seven. <click link>

• Haha 1

I swam in the bay today (in a wetsuit) and it was lovely!  I must be getting tough in my old age, I used to have a 17 degree minimum

• Like 1
  • Haha 1