Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

Running as a pacer, 10km

I have a 10km race on Sunday, a guy from work is doing it.  I beat him by  4mins at a 10km earlier in the year, he went 46.30 and I went 42.33. However, after a couple of attempts at some faster running, I have next to nothing at the top end and just can't seem to dig really deep.

This guy really wants a PB of sub 46 and a dream goal of 45.30. I said I would run as a pacer for him as watching him achieve that would  be a better experience for me. Only thing is, I've never run as a pacer before, what should the tactic be?

45.30 means holding 4.33/km if my maths are correct. the terrain is flat but very exposed and could be windy.  Should we try to nail the pace from KM1? or build up to it and then bank a couple of 4.25s?  Basic plan was to be on track by KM8 and either hold or push go balls out depending on how he feels. Not sure if that's a good idea?

Edited by FatPom

I have never done it, so hopefully RBR and others can have better input. 

From experience of running in races with good and bad pacers: 

Talking your runners through it is critical. ‘Ok we are tracking well, it’s normal to feel the legs are heavy here’ ‘we are doing this easy today’ etc etc 

Dont bank time - it never ever ends well. But everybody wants to be under target time from km 1. Just tell them they are. 

Now most importanly - ensure you sprint away from your runners in last 300m just so they know who is boss.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't bank too much time but you need to allow for a long course which if it's accurate it will read long on your Garmin.

I would run 4.30 off the bat and just hold it.  Really get in his ear at 6k 7k and 8k.  That last k would be where you want to bank the most time.

• Like 2

Well, we got it done but the insane wind, rain, cold and mud meant nobody was breaking records today. Started with 4.33s but by km6 my mate was flagging a bit and couldn't hold, so a couple of kms were done at slower pace. I talked him through it and got him to lift at 8km and I sent him to line first for a PB of 45.57. He was happy, so was I.

A good day for all concerned but that weather!  ugh, everyone deserved their t-shirt today :)

Flipper did the Kiddie Mile earlier with me, lots of kids were crying with cold, wet or just tired but she kept running and got it done. 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FatPom said:

Flipper did the Kiddie Mile earlier with me, lots of kids were crying with cold, wet or just tired but she kept running and got it done. 👍

this really shows how much kids pick up from their parents. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

hmm, that's a two way street. You should hear her sing.,,,,  It's like nails on a blackboard.:lol:

Edited by FatPom
  • Haha 2

Turns out Flipper came 3/13 in the Under 5s, just picked up her trophy 😀

(sorry, can't seem to make the pic smaller!)

IMG_20181017_125259.thumb.jpg.900446ed9264ef62265ece8c07d8bcc5.jpg

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2018 at 8:55 AM, Cat Lady said:

Nope, the third place means she didn't pick up running talent from her old man :P

i give it 10yrs before Flippers kicking your arse FP. It will be a proud day for you when she does 

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

Nice work Flipper 😎

• Like 1