Jump to content
Peter

taren in kona

Recommended Posts

On 27/10/2018 at 4:57 AM, more said:

Are we talking shitty US style first class or proper Aussie style first class I wonder. If it’s US first class that makes sense-their first class is an upgrade from shit to slightly less pathetic.

That would be my assumption - shitty US first class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, FFF1077 said:

#carbthefckup #burnfatnotoil #sleazyoldguybrainwashingyouths 

Did I see him with 2 girls again?. Harley the cult leader 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest FFF1077
On 28/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, Chuckie M said:

Did I see him with 2 girls again?. Harley the cult leader 😉

Genuinely scared for those women. 😕😕😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Taren's done quite an interesting interview with Patrick Lange. Theres a very interesting bit about the aerodynamic design of his aerobars about 3/4s through. Basically he has a custom 3D printed titanium aerobar set up for his specifc needs that they estimate saves him about 7 watts. 

https://triathlontaren.com/patricklange/

I cant handle watching Taren so wont but this was all in the lead up to Kona where he had to find 101 secs to go under 8 hours...

 

 

 

Turns out all he had to do was hire a domestique.. 😉 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taren did a tour of Sarah Crowley's Kona base overnight. Love this type of content. He talked ot Lucy Charles-Barkley the other day as well as well as Lange. 

 

Edited by dazmuzza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Taren did a tour of Sarah Crowley's Kona base overnight. Love this type of content. He talked ot Lucy Charles-Barkley the other day as well as well as Lange. 

 

That was like...really good 😉Go Sarah, looking fit af.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarens content has been a lot better this year. His chat with Dave Scott was interesting-Dave seemed really rude and moody for some reason though, pretty arrogant.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave had to do the interview with him because they are both part owners of the same company Fuel whatever....???

Guessing Dave is over doing the same interviews after 25 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taren has done pretty well for an age grouper. I am guessing Ventum gave him that bike plus most of the other stuff he uses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince said:

Taren has done pretty well for an age grouper. I am guessing Ventum gave him that bike plus most of the other stuff he uses. 

I'd doubt they would have given him the bikes.

Discount maybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, more said:

Tarens content has been a lot better this year. His chat with Dave Scott was interesting-Dave seemed really rude and moody for some reason though, pretty arrogant.?

Ironman/kona, Arrogant? Never........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'd doubt they would have given him the bikes.

Discount maybe

Taren has 3 Ventum bikes now, and I'm pretty sure he did not pay a cent for any of them.  Frames supplied by Ventum, gearing by Shimano and wheels from Alto.

First Ventum he received was his race bike with custom paint job. He then received another black, base model Ventum for his Wahoo Kickr and has recently received a road bike from them.  All as sponsorship for his Youtube channel.

He also gets free wetsuits from Roka and I've forgotten the name of the company that supplies his goggles.  And recently had an infinite pool installed in his Pain Cave.  He hasn't done a YouTube video on that yet, so not sure if it was a freebie or a discount.

He openly admits he gets more sponsorship than the average Pro.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, more said:

Tarens content has been a lot better this year. His chat with Dave Scott was interesting-Dave seemed really rude and moody for some reason though, pretty arrogant.?

Think Dave must be just a fairly straight to the point kinda guy.

 

4 hours ago, Prince said:

Taren has done pretty well for an age grouper. I am guessing Ventum gave him that bike plus most of the other stuff he uses. 

Well...his job is producing video content for entertainment. I think of this as him receiving freebies in lieu of a regular pay check.

 

2 hours ago, Rob said:

He openly admits he gets more sponsorship than the average Pro.

Yep, but him and a pro are not in the same business. His business is triathlon media, they're professional athletes.

Edit: thinking about this a bit more - it's pretty easy to see why Taren gets more sponsorship. He has far more reach than mny pro triathletes.

Pro triathletes really could do a lot more in the media space. Lionel seems to get it. Not sure how many others do. 

Edited by dazmuzza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rob said:

Taren has 3 Ventum bikes now, and I'm pretty sure he did not pay a cent for any of them.  Frames supplied by Ventum, gearing by Shimano and wheels from Alto.

First Ventum he received was his race bike with custom paint job. He then received another black, base model Ventum for his Wahoo Kickr and has recently received a road bike from them.  All as sponsorship for his Youtube channel.

He also gets free wetsuits from Roka and I've forgotten the name of the company that supplies his goggles.  And recently had an infinite pool installed in his Pain Cave.  He hasn't done a YouTube video on that yet, so not sure if it was a freebie or a discount.

He openly admits he gets more sponsorship than the average Pro.

His latest video titled "how to handle the Kona heat " has the first 5 mins or so doing a live panel with his new pool 'partner'.. 

 

I don't think he's paying for much to be honest and fair enough if companies think it's good value but most people with half a clue know when he's talking shit about something..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s be serious here - the guy has a larger youtube following than Lionel, hosts his own podcast, and reviews and interviews from the angle of an age grouper. He has more guests and content than anyone else in the sport.

That is why brands are lining up to have him rep their products - brands are realising that pro endorsement is always the biggest marketing tool, but pros aren’t buying their products are they, age groupers are. So to have them promoted by age groupers for age groupers is the new parallel to pro endorsement. With social media reach such a huge impact in any deal, the guy is far ahead of the majority of pros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The new guy said:

Let’s be serious here - the guy has a larger youtube following than Lionel, hosts his own podcast, and reviews and interviews from the angle of an age grouper. He has more guests and content than anyone else in the sport.

That is why brands are lining up to have him rep their products - brands are realising that pro endorsement is always the biggest marketing tool, but pros aren’t buying their products are they, age groupers are. So to have them promoted by age groupers for age groupers is the new parallel to pro endorsement. With social media reach such a huge impact in any deal, the guy is far ahead of the majority of pros.

yeah, I think he is good for the sport and he is a fairly decent level age grouper. The only criticism I have and its minor, is that I do wish he didn't promote the top end products, as the ventum bike and the endless pool are a bit out of the reach of most age groupers. keep it real homey....

Edited by Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prince said:

yeah, I think he is good for the sport and he is a fairly decent level age grouper. The only criticism I have and its minor, is that I do wish he didn't promote the top end products, as the ventum bike and the endless pool are a bit out of the reach of most age groupers. keep it real homey....

Yeah, he probably had the option of being given 3 Giants and a 1 year subscription at the local pool rather than taking the Ventums & the Endless Pool.

I know which I'd do if I was given the chance, and you too Prince.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pieman said:

His latest video titled "how to handle the Kona heat " has the first 5 mins or so doing a live panel with his new pool 'partner'.. 

yeah, I thought that vid was not as good as the others, but ill put up for it if it means I get to see more of Tim Don's crib. 

Generally I like his content more than I hate it. 

Talbot Cox is another guy I don't mind - but I do get bored of the endless slow mo drone shots of the pros. More interested in what they have to say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, he probably had the option of being given 3 Giants and a 1 year subscription at the local pool rather than taking the Ventums & the Endless Pool.

I know which I'd do if I was given the chance, and you too Prince.

I would take the ventums.  endless pool, not sure I could last. I think it might be a different level of boredom. maybe Zwift will have swimming soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 5:32 AM, dazmuzza said:

yeah, I thought that vid was not as good as the others, but ill put up for it if it means I get to see more of Tim Don's crib. 

Generally I like his content more than I hate it. 

Talbot Cox is another guy I don't mind - but I do get bored of the endless slow mo drone shots of the pros. More interested in what they have to say!

I  quite like the Talbot Cox stuff (not all of it and some of the music is appalling) and I get the feeling the pros have a genuine connection with him, I don't get that same feeling with Taren.

I was going to buy a TC shirt to support his channel but it looks like a Tesla logo, plus I can't find any non US shipping info, so unless you fill in all the screen, you can't tell how much it's going to cost.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 3:42 PM, Prince said:

I would take the ventums.  endless pool, not sure I could last. I think it might be a different level of boredom. maybe Zwift will have swimming soon...

Zwift+VASA trainer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarren's latest rant is pretty funny.  

IM have slapped an effective media ban on accumulated, published footage over a 30 day period.  He reckons it is because of 'bad bloggers' and they should work up an exception criteria called 'The Taren Rule',,,I kid you not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Tarren's latest rant is pretty funny.  

IM have slapped an effective media ban on accumulated, published footage over a 30 day period.  He reckons it is because of 'bad bloggers' and they should work up an exception criteria called 'The Taren Rule',,,I kid you not!

I wonder if he will still want to qualify for Kona now.  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FatPom said:

Tarren's latest rant is pretty funny.  

IM have slapped an effective media ban on accumulated, published footage over a 30 day period.  He reckons it is because of 'bad bloggers' and they should work up an exception criteria called 'The Taren Rule',,,I kid you not!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taren’s highlights package is so much better than the confected fudge that Greg Welsh serves up on behalf of the official WTC package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Taren’s highlights package is so much better than the confected fudge that Greg Welsh serves up on behalf of the official WTC package.

I really thought he sounded drunk.  Plucky seems to be heading into Liggett territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I really thought he sounded drunk.  Plucky seems to be heading into Liggett territory.

Yeah Greg made heaps of mistakes too.  

He needs to be replaced or party less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why can't this guy just be normal and not a wanker? In his latest video has has blamed the toxicity of his flooring being behind him being overweight... 

Be normal dam it!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2019 at 6:20 PM, Peter said:

Yeah Greg made heaps of mistakes too.  

He needs to be replaced or party less. 

I laughed every time he referred to Jan's 'torn sacrum'. Bloody hard to tear a bone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, more said:

Why can't this guy just be normal and not a wanker? In his latest video has has blamed the toxicity of his flooring being behind him being overweight... 

Be normal dam it!! 

1. He is a vegan.  He has to be a wanker. 

2. I thought he was annorexic.   He is far from overweight.  

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Peter said:

1. He is a vegan.  He has to be a wanker. 

2. I thought he was annorexic.   He is far from overweight.  

He wants to be ripped like his Canadian hero..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a spam from Tarren claiming with his new book I can improve my swim time by 30% in just a few weeks! Amazing....he isn't even trying to claim a few months, nope a few weeks is all it takes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, more said:

I just got a spam from Tarren claiming with his new book I can improve my swim time by 30% in just a few weeks! Amazing....he isn't even trying to claim a few months, nope a few weeks is all it takes. 

Knowing how you swim, it's possible.  ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, more said:

It's funny cos it's true.... 😳😢

All it takes is buying a $15000 Masterspa swim pool but using the code Taren you can save 5% during the month of December... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pieman said:

All it takes is buying a $15000 Masterspa swim pool but using the code Taren you can save 5% during the month of December... 

Shut up and take my money!! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, pieman said:

All it takes is buying a $15000 Masterspa swim pool but using the code Taren you can save 5% during the month of December... 

I had to laugh. I saw the video when he installed it.  Then saw one the other day with plastic curtains around it from the splash. Same as sanders.  

They love their indoor swim pools but gee they must lose a lot of water.  

The need to be outside like IPs pool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I strongly suspect he didn't pay anything for the Pool, I'm wondering if he is regretting it now.

Swimming is boring at the best of times. Doing solo swims are worse. Staying in the one spot must be mind numbingly boring.  I could imagine using it for an occasional 30 min swim to work on technique, but not all my swimming for the week.

Also, it kind of ruined his pain cave which was awesome before he had to re-arrange everything to fit in the pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rob said:

Even though I strongly suspect he didn't pay anything for the Pool, I'm wondering if he is regretting it now.

Swimming is boring at the best of times. Doing solo swims are worse. Staying in the one spot must be mind numbingly boring.  I could imagine using it for an occasional 30 min swim to work on technique, but not all my swimming for the week.

Also, it kind of ruined his pain cave which was awesome before he had to re-arrange everything to fit in the pool.

Yeah and he keeps on saying he is finding gains by swimming with a fast squad again so not sure how that fits but I guess having the ability to add volume easily located is a good thing.. but given he has touted Tower26 as the best thing ever, then Brenton from Effortlessswimming, now his own book and a swimspa it is hard to keep up.. all he needs now is to talk about doing USRPT and he probably has all bases covered...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob said:

Swimming is boring at the best of times. Doing solo swims are worse. Staying in the one spot must be mind numbingly boring.  I could imagine using it for an occasional 30 min swim to work on technique, but not all my swimming for the week.

Probably is boring, but sure is handy. I know personally I find it really annoying that I have to try plan out hitting the pool here in Brisbane when every single local pool has squads on before and after work and the non squad swimmers all get thrown in 2 lanes of an 8 lane pool and either have to pass people playing in the pool or get run over by an old dude doing laps with flippers on.

 

I'd probably take a swim spa any day over that pool experience. 

Edited by dazmuzza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob said:

Even though I strongly suspect he didn't pay anything for the Pool, I'm wondering if he is regretting it now.

He said he got it for free in one of is videos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Probably is boring, but sure is handy. I know personally I find it really annoying that I have to try plan out hitting the pool here in Brisbane when every single local pool has squads on before and after work and the non squad swimmers all get thrown in 2 lanes of an 8 lane pool and either have to pass people playing in the pool or get run over by an old dude doing laps with flippers on.

I'd probably take a swim spa any day over that pool experience. 

The solution to that problem is to join one of the squads.

I really struggle doing laps by myself, but swimming in a squad almost makes it enjoyable.  I have membership with 2 different pools and they both have free squad sessions for members.

I do 2 swims a week with my Triathlon Club, at least 1 squad session a week with the Members' Free squad session, 1 bay swim with an independant swim coach and occasionally an extra swim by myself (I've learnt which mornings have the least number of squads operating for my solo swims).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taren has about 100 000 Youtube followers. Based on estimated social media influencer income with a similar number of subscribers he is likely to be earning:

$500 for an insta post

$775 for an insta video

$800 for a youtube video

$243 for a Facbook post

It is likely that he is receiving both free products and being paid for posts.

klear-influencer-rates-eileen-brown-zdnet.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Taren has about 100 000 Youtube followers. Based on estimated social media influencer income with a similar number of subscribers he is likely to be earning:

$500 for an insta post

$775 for an insta video

$800 for a youtube video

$243 for a Facbook post

It is likely that he is receiving both free products and being paid for posts.

klear-influencer-rates-eileen-brown-zdnet.png

what made Taren good was the fact in the early days he didn't really endorse products. It would be very disappointing if her doesn't disclose that certain companies are paying for his posts. free gear is one thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Prince said:

what made Taren good was the fact in the early days he didn't really endorse products. It would be very disappointing if her doesn't disclose that certain companies are paying for his posts. free gear is one thing. 

The guys is a used car salesman, one second he is crying poor asking for donations to stay afloat, the next second he is flying everywhere business class, then the next second things are going so well he has his wife working for him full time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prince said:

what made Taren good was the fact in the early days he didn't really endorse products. It would be very disappointing if her doesn't disclose that certain companies are paying for his posts. free gear is one thing. 

Traditional media - TV, newspapers, magazines are required to disclose if they are being paid for an endorsement.

With "new" media - podcasts, videos, photos, Facebook, etc there is no requirement for disclosure.

Unless Taren has won lotto he is being paid as a social media influencer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...