Sign in to follow this  
Peter

taren in kona

Gotta say liking this guy more and more. 

Watch the last 2 minutes 

• Like 1

I like him now less than I did.  Something about his transformation from journeyman to self proclaimed expert on everything that turned me off, that and the constant shilling of products.

He is good except when he talks vegan hocus pocus and how whey protein makes you fat etc. At least he gives me something to watch every day Triathlon related which Ian pretty cool.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I like him now less than I did.  Something about his transformation from journeyman to self proclaimed expert on everything that turned me off, that and the constant shilling of products.

+1 

I've never liked him. He tends to be so self absorbed and thinks that he's an expert everything but the worst is on nutrition and strength based training.  Like seriously pal,  leave it up to those who are accredited. The whole promotion of training tools erks me as well.

But then again, people who promote products on instagram even though they aren't payed by those companies also irritates me. If you're payed and given the product for free then be my guest.  But when you're an age group that plugs/tags a bike company, running shoes, nutrition etc. it just kinda just comes across as being desperate.

Edited by alexholbrook
Added extra
  • Like 1

Hi Video today with Dave Scott was a cringe fest-Dave kept on correcting him lol

I quite like Taren. His target audience is beginners and he does a great job of promoting the sport. Yes there are a lot of things he says that I believe are 'not quite right', but you can say the same about most people who post on forums.

Taren seems quite intelligent. He interviews a lot of experts and his knowledge is definitely improving. Unfortunately he loves to put his own slant on things which often the muddies the message he is putting across.

I'm a little worried he is running training camps without any coaching accreditation, especially with US athletes. An athlete suffers a heart attack or debilitating accident while on a camp and then the athlete's spouse sues Taren. In the USA, this might even happen if the athlete was just following the advice from the YouTube videos. In Australia your coaching licence includes insurance, so unless he has taken out his own policy he is taking quite risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I quite like Taren. His target audience is beginners and he does a great job of promoting the sport. Yes there are a lot of things he says that I believe are 'not quite right', but you can say the same about most people who post on forums.

Taren seems quite intelligent. He interviews a lot of experts and his knowledge is definitely improving. Unfortunately he loves to put his own slant on things which often the muddies the message he is putting across.

I'm a little worried he is running training camps without any coaching accreditation, especially with US athletes. An athlete suffers a heart attack or debilitating accident while on a camp and then the athlete's spouse sues Taren. In the USA, this might even happen if the athlete was just following the advice from the YouTube videos. In Australia your coaching licence includes insurance, so unless he has taken out his own policy he is taking quite risk.

Isn’t he Canadian,  are his camps in the US?

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Isn’t he Canadian,  are his camps in the US?

Yes he is Canadian. But the majority of his audience is from the US. To my knowledge he has only had one mini camp with 2 athletes (not sure if they were US or not). But he is planning future camps which will certainly have US athletes involved

41 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yes he is Canadian. But the majority of his audience is from the US. To my knowledge he has only had one mini camp with 2 athletes (not sure if they were US or not). But he is planning future camps which will certainly have US athletes involved

I watch him every morning when having breaky, some days I love him others I hate him but at least I get to watch something Tri related that isn’t GTN (Heather and Mark do my head in)

I don’t know what to make of the whole training thing. It’s a bit silly in that he attends a few Tower 26 camps and thinks he can teach people how to swim, attends a few bike fits and thinks he can tell people how to set up their bike etc...but’s its the only way he’s going to make a dollar  I guess and his target market are first timers so all in all probably not that big of a deal

7 minutes ago, more said:

I watch him every morning when having breaky, some days I love him others I hate him but at least I get to watch something Tri related that isn’t GTN (Heather and Mark do my head in)

I still don't get this hate for GTN. I don't love it but what's so bad about it?  You have two ex pro athletes bot of whom are pretty fast at varying distances and have some good clips, especially around swimming.  There's an upload nearly every day. It seems harmless enough and certainly my viewing evenings would be poorer without it.

Then again, I could say the same thing about Shadetree Surgeon :lol:

I like GTN, but tend to watch GCN more often. But only watch them if something in the title catches my interest

44 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I still don't get this hate for GTN. I don't love it but what's so bad about it?  You have two ex pro athletes bot of whom are pretty fast at varying distances and have some good clips, especially around swimming.  There's an upload nearly every day. It seems harmless enough and certainly my viewing evenings would be poorer without it.

Then again, I could say the same thing about Shadetree Surgeon :lol:

Don’t get me wrong-I don’t ‘hate’ GTN, I watch them also but the hosts just don’t have the charisma of Si and Matt on GCN. They come across pretty awkward and their humour falls pretty flat most of the time.  

My daily ritual-get home from pool, blitz shake, sit on couch, turn on telly and watch Tarren, GTN and GCN/listen to GCN in car 👍🙂

3 minutes ago, more said:

Don’t get me wrong-I don’t ‘hate’ GTN, I watch them also but the hosts just don’t have the charisma of Si and Matt on GCN. They come across pretty awkward and their humour falls pretty flat most of the time.  

My daily ritual-get home from pool, blitz shake, sit on couch, turn on telly and watch Tarren, GTN and GCN/listen to GCN in car 👍🙂

Yeah agree with that bit and they do have the worst dress sense I've seen in triathletes, which is really saying something! :lol:

Talking of Matt, he popped up on a Sigma Sports clip last night, very funny.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, FatPom said:

100% 

Started watching earlier videos, enjoyed them. Now they're blatant advertisements for pretty much everything he uses.

59 minutes ago, TimG said:

100% 

Started watching earlier videos, enjoyed them. Now they're blatant advertisements for pretty much everything he uses.

If you played a drinking game fro every time he said Tower 26 in some of his episodes you would need a liver transplant!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, more said:

If you played a drinking game fro every time he said Tower 26 in some of his episodes you would need a liver transplant!

Guess he needs all he can get, did he say that his Kona trip was costing $10k? Not sure if that's just him or for his wide etc as well but I'd be spruiking all I could if I had that sort of thing..

Guess the other approach is the IMTalk way where you seek listeners to do monthly pledges to keep you running and fund your kona trips... Not sure what the best approach is..

24 minutes ago, pieman said:

Guess he needs all he can get, did he say that his Kona trip was costing $10k? Not sure if that's just him or for his wide etc as well but I'd be spruiking all I could if I had that sort of thing..

Guess the other approach is the IMTalk way where you seek listeners to do monthly pledges to keep you running and fund your kona trips... Not sure what the best approach is..

He has the Mel girl working for him shooting and editing all his vids-that's a waste of money. If Casey Neistat can produce such high quality vids as a one man band when he is worth millions then Tarren who is apparently short on funds should be able to do without the luxury of an assistant and put in the effort to do it himself also.

His biggest problem is he doesn't know what his brand is, he is constantly changing leaving the audience confused. Is he a journey man, is he a GTN wannabe, is he a Casey, is he a Tri trainer, is he a DC Rainmaker etc...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

I only listen to Durianrider..😋

#carbthefckup #burnfatnotoil #sleazyoldguybrainwashingyouths 

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Cost me 10k when i did it. 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Cost me 10k when i did it. 

How does AP do it... didnt realise the aged pension was that high...

• Haha 1

I got an apartment in the heart of kona. Not a bed in a motel room. Wasnthere 11’days all up. 

Airfares ripped us too. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I got an apartment in the heart of kona. Not a bed in a motel room. Wasnthere 11’days all up. 

Airfares ripped us too. 

And from memory you did it when the dollar was alot closer to parity as well.  Add on another $4K with the way the dollar is going at present

19 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

And from memory you did it when the dollar was alot closer to parity as well.  Add on another $4K with the way the dollar is going at present

Yeah. Dollar was good. 

But I figured I was only going once so was doing it in style. 

Taren said in the video or another that he flew there first class. I didn’t do that. 

6 hours ago, pieman said:

That’s the Patreon thing isn’t it?