etiennevt

New Specialized Shiv

29 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I work with a Victorian who says Perf instead of Perth

Ask him to say derby.... LOL 

Rewatching the Specailised Promo video, it seems clear that this is just a prototype and will be limited to the 6 pros racing in Kona and another 200 odd suckers world wide early next year.

I’m hoping that the full production number cuts out some of the gimmicks and things that don’t look practical for the everyday punter.

I reckon that having a liquid fuel cell placed where the detectable cell is on the front tube with a short connecting water pipe and abandoning the rear fuel cell altogether (but keeping the foil for aerodynamics (maybe allowing you to store CO2 canisters and emergency rations to keep up appearances and legality) would be the way to go.

Add in a standard ingeratred bento box running the length of the top tube for gels and solid nutrition.

For spares - just stick with the current Shiv sleeve that fits into the bottom bracket of the frame triangle. Get rid of the folding handlebars - they look like death traps.

I might then consider such a bike ...

That pina looks schmick!  Much more attractive than the shiv (which is more important for a bop).  Cam seems to have found a shit place to stay at Kona ;)

I love the idea of the storage options in the frame above the bottom bracket.  Wish someone would make something a bit generic that I could get.  My mate uses as aero water bottle for his storage in that place, but to be able to get stuff in he's had to cut the bottle open and closed it up with tape.

22 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I'm a Victorian. 

But I'd never admit it 😂😂😂😎🤘

I'm a geographically challenged Qlder

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Trek has their own version 

IMG_20181012_143600.png

If you're going to create storage locations for a couple of litres on a bike, you should do it properly.

Image result for bicycle sixpack holder

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Rewatching the Specailised Promo video, it seems clear that this is just a prototype and will be limited to the 6 pros racing in Kona

Defies logic that pros would jump on a new bike for the biggest race in their year that they've only seen 5 days out from the race and perhaps ridden a couple of times.  I betcha there are a few robust discussions going on behind the scenes debating their contractual / sponsor obligations v what's the best for optimal race performance.

I would just like to say, great movie Schnapper Head!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Schnapper Head said:

Defies logic that pros would jump on a new bike for the biggest race in their year that they've only seen 5 days out from the race and perhaps ridden a couple of times.  I betcha there are a few robust discussions going on behind the scenes debating their contractual / sponsor obligations v what's the best for optimal race performance.

Didn't seem to bother Crowie too much in 2011...

Exactamundo

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

From the interviews I've seen so have the current bunch of athletes riding these bikes.

Exactly.  Sarah true said she'd known about the bike since start of year and had been to tunnel and fittings. Presumably they can get the fit to be pretty similar to the crappy shiv she was previously riding and the only "getting used to it" would be braking power of disc brakes and learning to change a flat with thru axles..

Edited by pieman

33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

400 of the 500 have already been sold. So if u want one you better hurry up.

I already bought a Ventum and a P5X, I'm all gimmicked out

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And they're just for using on your computer trainer and kickr's, because you're old school and ride a zipp beam bike on the road!  Always ahead of the curve!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, willie said:

I already bought a Ventum and a P5X, I'm all gimmicked out

I reckon that the ventum top bar hydration system actually looks like a good idea for Ironman distance triathlon. 

23 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I reckon that the ventum top bar hydration system actually looks like a good idea for Ironman distance triathlon. 

Agree 

31 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

One query though: where does the bento box go?

They could put nut-certs in the drink bottle top? Seriously. They'd need to be bonded or plastic welded in during the production. 

Or even a "Shiv like" equivalently sized bento box on the rear of the seat post..... LOL??? LOL 

24 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

They could put nut-certs in the drink bottle top? Seriously. They'd need to be bonded or plastic welded in during the production. 

Or even a "Shiv like" equivalently sized bento box on the rear of the seat post..... LOL??? LOL 

Mnnn. That has not been well thought out. Rather than going for the 1.4 litre water holder, they’d be better off reserving the front half for a bento box and making the rear water holding section a little deeper for about 900ml storage - which is sufficient if you run with a water holder between the aero bars. 

• Like 1

I'm sure they've thought of this and done plenty of testing, but I'm curious to know how 1.5kg of fluid shoshing around just above the back wheel affects the handling 

Edited by IronJimbo

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm sure they've thought of this and done plenty of testing, but I'm curious to know how 1.5kg of fluid shoshing around just above the back wheel affects the handling 

The standard marketing line is “it actually  works to propel you forward” :lol: 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Probably the same as 2 bottles hanging off the seat?

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Probably the same as 2 bottles hanging off the seat?

Confined to smaller spaces so probably not, but I think it would only be an issue when sprinting or doing radical climbing & descending, things that aren't really an issue in Triathlons, and triathletes in general don't do well anyway.

• Like 1

Small internal baffle like those in milk tankers would stop the slosh

#stoptheslosh 😂😂😂👍

Edited by FFF1077
Coz

It wont get much side to side though will it? It's fairly narrow.

#sloshfree

So where did the first new Shiv finish?

And yo-yo do you still have the only all white one? 

Just now, roxii said:

And yo-yo do you still have the only all white one? 

Yes I do

29 minutes ago, yoyo said:

I had this bike in 2016

So that’s why it’s crap. Made in a time when people still believed that Hilary could phone it in and become president. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, roxii said:

Lucy Charles rode the new Shiv and came second.

I think Gomez was the best of the male Shiv riders in 11th

7 minutes ago, Rob said:

She was 20 min faster than last year so the bike must be good

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

Currie finished 5th.  Im now a massive fan of this guy.

Can't be bothered watching the video or reading through this thread....the reservoir is for fluid? Is there a straw system?

Just now, RunBrettRun said:

Currie finished 5th.  Im now a massive fan of this guy.

I have followed him for ages in the Coast2Coast but was really surprised when he outran Gomez at Cairns. Was even more surprised when I saw his running form yesterday but happy for the guy. He said he could easily have played it safer but wanted to test Lange even though it failed..

Just now, AA7 said:

Can't be bothered watching the video or reading through this thread....the reservoir is for fluid? Is there a straw system?

Yep, about 5 metres of straw that goes down past the BB and up the downtube tot he stem area..

15 minutes ago, pieman said:

Yep, about 5 metres of straw that goes down past the BB and up the downtube tot he stem area..

What could possibly go wrong. Especially for an age group punter without a team of mechanics and fluffers to keep the rig tip top. The system is simplicity itself I tell ya!

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Thanks Pieman. Gotta be a bugger to keep clean.

2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Thanks Pieman. Gotta be a bugger to keep clean.

Especially putting sugar/glucose etc based drinks in it. Could you imagine what starts growing in there just in the time it's sitting out in the sun before you pick it up the next day. And I'm sure it's on everybody's list of things to do the day after an IM before they fly back out.

On slowtwitch 2 specialized employees are answering a whole lot of questions.

The straw goes through a conduit so it can't rub against anything else in the frame or be blocked by anything installing or removing.  

2 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

The straw goes through a conduit so it can't rub against anything else in the frame or be blocked by anything installing or removing.  

#say no to plastic straws

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yeah that takes away the issues of it messing with your Di2 or other cables, but surely it is still going to be a PITA to clean it? 

1 minute ago, pieman said:

Yeah that takes away the issues of it messing with your Di2 or other cables, but surely it is still going to be a PITA to clean it? 

how so?  remove clean re install.  I assume its mostly water being used and wouldn't need to be cleaned very often?

Just now, RunBrettRun said:

how so?  remove clean re install.  I assume its mostly water being used and wouldn't need to be cleaned very often?

I was envisaging someone using a pipe cleaner type thing trying to clean it but given the size of it would be quite difficult.. I know way back when and I used the standard profile design bottle with the straw that was hard enough to clean..  But i dont care really because I dont have $14000USD laying around...

1 minute ago, pieman said:

But i dont care really because I dont have $14000USD laying around...

And if you did, you'd pay someone to clean it for you.

• Thanks 1