Sign in to follow this  
more

First Ironman, came first and Kona qualified..

Check this dude out that appeared in my youtube feed. Seems like an interesting story-entered his first Ironman ever at Lake Placid and came first in 9:18-WTF.

In vid he talks about how at college he never ran further than 10k etc...hmmmm must be a freak age grouper?

So I dig a little on this character-appears he has downplayed his background and has actually done a little bit of running in the past...and has made a dollar or two in IT!!

Harvard -BA, Chemistry, Physics, Magna Cum Laude 1997  2001 Varsity Track & Cross Country (Team Captain for 2 years; NCAA Regional All American)

Stanford-Qualifier for the 2008 U.S. Marathon Olympic Trials with a time of 2:21

Then went and made a few apps which Facebook bought, went and worked for them for a few years, then with Uber etc...and I guess now has plenty of money and can just train for Kona...dam what a life!

17 minutes ago, more said:

Check this dude out that appeared in my youtube feed. Seems like an interesting story-entered his first Ironman ever at Lake Placid and came first in 9:18-WTF.

In vid he talks about how at college he never ran further than 10k etc...hmmmm must be a freak age grouper?

So I dig a little on this character-appears he has downplayed his background and has actually done a little bit of running in the past...and has made a dollar or two in IT!!

Harvard -BA, Chemistry, Physics, Magna Cum Laude 1997  2001 Varsity Track & Cross Country (Team Captain for 2 years; NCAA Regional All American)

Stanford-Qualifier for the 2008 U.S. Marathon Olympic Trials with a time of 2:21

Then went and made a few apps which Facebook bought, went and worked for them for a few years, then with Uber etc...and I guess now has plenty of money and can just train for Kona...dam what a life!

Was a frontpage article on him on Slowtwitch a few weeks ago and the comments were all along the lines of:

• So a rich guy with all the time to train does alright at triathlon, whoopie
  • if i could buy the best coaching, equipment, windtunnel time and not have to work etc I could do that also
  • Anyone suspicious about how he got such a high FTP without 'assistance'

and then some more came out that he actually left Uber for having relations with an underling and allegedly has quite a Kavanaughesque history...

• Like 1

lol slowtwitch....they are all so miserable over there! I did read about his indiscretion at Uber-was nothing in it though in that he got caught 'kissing' someone he worked with and it was consensual. Bloody yanks-looking for outrage and offense in everything they get their hands on.

Slow twits is as bad for you as 60 minutes and a current affair 

• Like 1

But still better than Today Tonight!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Slow twits is as bad for you as 60 minutes and a current affair 

It's a hilarious place and generally just reinforces the stereotypes about triathletes..

Geez...just read the Slow twat articles! Some interesting points

• Went from basically no swim background to doing 1:40's straight off the bat
  • Went to a wind tunnel for his first ever bike fit
  • Has a FTP of 400 watts at 75kgs
  • Rich people have good connections
  • Like 1

Most of you could quit your jobs, train full time and never break 3 hours for a marathon.

Running 2:21 is very classy and he is obviously quite a gifted athlete. The fact that he has time to train will only enhance an already very impressive AG athlete.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bumcrackjack said:

Most of you could quit your jobs, train full time and never break 3 hours for a marathon.

Running 2:21 is very classy and he is obviously quite a gifted athlete. The fact that he has time to train will only enhance an already very impressive AG athlete.

I agree. 

I couldn’t go sub 10 in an Ironman training full time for 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I agree. 

I couldn’t go sub 10 in an Ironman training full time for 2 years. 

I think I could.

14 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I think I could.

Start a go fund page. 

24 minutes ago, Peter said:

Start a go fund page. 

Great idea. 

What did occur to me was the apparent massive increase in training didn't coincide with any injury? I mean apparently he was unhealthy 18 months ago so to ramp up from that to full ironman training to a level where you are competitive against pros and not have something snap is quite remarkable...

But then again he has probably down played his level of fitness prior just like he 'never ran more than 10ks in College..'

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Great idea. 

You don't need funding. You just won a massive novelty cheque!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, A2K said:

You don't need funding. You just won a massive novelty cheque!

Ah, I did too #lifelonggoal