Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Pick your 1st and 2nd men and women in Kona 2018

One thing going for Gomez is he is small so a massive advantage in Kona heat. Starkowitz breakfast with bob interview he said Gomez would sweat about 2L per hour on the run while he would Sweat close to 4L. So the body can only absorb 1.5L per hour, thus massive advantage to a little guy. I guess Macca proved this can be overcome.

1 minute ago, The Customer said:

Ryf

Daylight

I predict Ryf will break the course record this year. I've never seen her look so ready - on another level.

Has Crowley changed her name to Daylight..? 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:54 PM, Gilliga said:

One thing going for Gomez is he is small so a massive advantage in Kona heat. Starkowitz breakfast with bob interview he said Gomez would sweat about 2L per hour on the run while he would Sweat close to 4L. So the body can only absorb 1.5L per hour, thus massive advantage to a little guy. I guess Macca proved this can be overcome.

After four bad races in Kona Macca got tested for sweat and absorption rates. I can’t quite recall the details but from memory he managed to lift his absorption rate up to around 1.5 litres from little more than 1 litre by taking a more aggressive approach to sodium levels in his fluids. He also managed to bring his sweat rate down from over 2.5 litres to close to 2 litres on the run. That meant that he’d lose than 5% of body weight and still be effective. Lionel has adopted a similar approach to his preparation, but I have some doubts about his execution ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Ryf

Daylight

I predict Ryf will break the course record this year. I've never seen her look so ready - on another level.

Probably, but I also think that Charles has the biggest aerobic engine I’ve seen in a female triathlete. It’s only he second year as a pro and eve; though she doesn’t have that awesome ITU background and base that the others do and I think her potential is boundless. If anyone can cause a massive boil over its her: she nearly did it last year and I think while Ryf has probably improved again, so has Charles, maybe by an even bigger degree.

Just now, Andrew #1 said:

Probably, but I also think that Charles has the biggest aerobic engine I’ve seen in a female triathlete. It’s only her second year as a pro and even though she doesn’t have that awesome ITU background and triathlon training base that the others do I think her potential is boundless. If anyone can cause a massive boil over its her: she nearly did it last year and I think while Ryf has probably improved again, so has Charles, maybe by an even bigger degree.

Women

1. True 

2. Charles 

* DNF  Ryf to be different 

Men

1. Currie 

2. Gomez

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, FFF1077 said:

Never heard of her 

Sarah Groff.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, The Customer said:

Ryf

Daylight

Soon to find out but how much the record will fall 😂😂😂

19 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Soon to find out but how much the record will fall 😂😂😂

20 min course record. 

Best female ever. She win 2-3 more she is the best ever. 

Already better than chrissie. 

I reckon Chrissy at her best would have gotten off the bike with Ryf and then laid down a 2:52 marathon. We’ll never know of course but it would have been a great battle to watch.

Edited by Andrew #1

29 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I reckon Chrissy at her best would have gotten off the bike with Ryf and then laid down a 2:52 marathon. We’ll never know of course but it would have been a great battle to watch.

You’re wrong 

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Chrissie who? 😂😂😂😂

Nealo’s mate

19EA0421-88A1-4489-ABEE-F1F7658C9557.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

You’re wrong 

We’ll never know for sure ... however she has gone faster over the distance and those conditions today have never been as good, so says Mark Allen: even the run - a warm (not hot) breeze kissing the athletes at around 16kmh. ...

So Chrissie had both the proven speed (and on an old school P2 as well) and can handle the conditions that were much worse. I reckon with a modern TT bike she would have gone with Ryf, like Crowley did, but unlike Crowley would have stuck with her until T2. We also know she was good for a 2:52 or better, especially in those conditions.

Sutton has already said ryf is much better than Chrissie ever was. 

Given he coached both, I’ll accept his opinion over speculation 

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sutton has already said ryf is much better than Chrissie ever was. 

Given he coached both, I’ll accept his opinion over speculation 

Come. In. Spinner.

sutten has the biggest axe to grind of anyone in the sport. Given Wellington dumped him after two years ...

How about this then. 

Coach@ has forgotten more than you and me even know. 

69729AA0-C6D2-435E-AC1A-9AD400694A11.jpeg

Peter. I’m not actually disputing how epic Ryf’s performance was today: in fact on the race day discussion thread I made two points:

1. Finishing within 34 minutes of the men’s winner (who also shattered the men’s course record) was more significant than Paula finishing 32 minutes behind Molina back in 1988 (and 11th outright) because the men’s field was actually pretty weak that year; and

2. For the women’s winner performance to be considered on par with the men’s one should apply the +10% rule of thumb - ie. she should finish 47 minutes behind. Finishing only 34 minutes behind means that her relative performance is actually +13 minutes - made even more remarkable by the fact of her sting in the swim and fact she did all of the work in the bike.

That said, I can see a case for Chrissy at her best and on modern equipment matching Ryf; maybe even beating her given how fast she has run in Kona and the fact that her IM distance PB is still better than Ryf’s.

However one should be careful when comparing champions from different eras, so we’ll never quite know the outcome of this theoretical match up. Which is a shame.

Okay whatever. 

Beth McKenzie 22nd. Needs to get back on the drugs. 

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

Okay whatever. 

Beth McKenzie 22nd. Needs to get back on the drugs. 

Pretty fast marathon to finish it off.

3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Peter. I’m not actually disputing how epic Ryf’s performance was today: in fact on the race day discussion thread I made two points:

1. Finishing within 34 minutes of the men’s winner (who also shattered the men’s course record) was more significant than Paula finishing 32 minutes behind Molina back in 1988 (and 11th outright) because the men’s field was actually pretty weak that year; and

2. For the women’s winner performance to be considered on par with the men’s one should apply the +10% rule of thumb - ie. she should finish 47 minutes behind. Finishing only 34 minutes behind means that her relative performance is actually +13 minutes - made even more remarkable by the fact of her sting in the swim and fact she did all of the work in the bike.

That said, I can see a case for Chrissy at her best and on modern equipment matching Ryf; maybe even beating her given how fast she has run in Kona and the fact that her IM distance PB is still better than Ryf’s.

However one should be careful when comparing champions from different eras, so we’ll never quite know the outcome of this theoretical match up. Which is a shame.

Ryf's second half bike split reminded me of the Chinese 400 IM girl at the olympics in 2012 - who out split the men in the last 50.

Something definitely not right there.