Pick your 1st and 2nd men and women in Kona 2018

Who’s your male and female 1and 2?

1. Seb 2. Sanders

2. Rtf 2. Charles 

1.Lionel

2. Seby

1.Lucy

2.Ryf

If I was betting money I'd go with 1. Ryf 2. Lucy :)

40 minutes ago, zed said:

1.Lionel

2. Seby

1.Lucy

2.Ryf

If I was betting money I'd go with 1. Ryf 2. Lucy :)

yeah I dont think you are thinking with the right head with those womens picks...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, pieman said:

yeah I dont think you are thinking with the right head with those womens picks...

Me either, but I'll pick Lucy cos I love that Pommy accent.

Men, I'll go out on a limb and pick Gomez.

2nds - no one remembers 2nds.

If I was a punter and looking for a smoky with long odds I’d place bets on both Curry and Wurf ...

Women - Charles / Adams - Ryf will puncture while off the front away from service vehicle and I can’t see any one giving her a spare

Men - Seb / Currie - Looking forward to seeing how long wurf can stay in front but I think his fight with starky for bike prime will end both their aspirations early. 

7 minutes ago, MSP said:

Ryf will puncture while off the front away from service vehicle and I can’t see any one giving her a spare

Don't they carry a spare anymore?

Or is my wife in great company & Ryf can't change a tyre :D (I told her this morning we were gonna practice putting the chain back on before Noosa & she was over the moon - NOT).

3 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Don't they carry a spare anymore?

Or is my wife in great company & Ryf can't change a tyre :D (I told her this morning we were gonna practice putting the chain back on before Noosa & she was over the moon - NOT).

In recent years it looks like most are relying on neutral service but in the women’s field it’s a bit like the one camera problem, does it hang with the pack or with Ryf off the front?

Yeah, I wanna say Rinni for third!

3 hours ago, pieman said:

haha 

Charles still has an outside chance if she boxes clever. She had to swim by herself then ride by herself at the worlds, till Ryf caught her. If she busts her balls on the bike and sits with some of the slower male pros, she has a chance, but she will have to push that 12m gap.. She could probably get away with 7m? 

Edited by zed

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Why only top 2? 

I was going to do winner but no one will beat ryf 

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

I was going to do winner but no one will beat ryf 

The traditional top 3 or top 5 wasn't an option?

Edited by AA7

1 hour ago, zed said:

haha 

Charles still has an outside chance if she boxes clever. She had to swim by herself then ride by herself at the worlds, till Ryf caught her. If she busts her balls on the bike and sits with some of the slower male pros, she has a chance, but she will have to push that 12m gap.. She could probably get away with 7m? 

Be hard to push that distance limit if she has any cameras with her at all.. probably lucky that all the cameras will be on men... 

57 minutes ago, AA7 said:

The traditional top 3 or top 5 wasn't an option?

Nah. You know i like to be different 

but if you need to give us your top5 (in order) and also next weeks powerball numbers. 

• Like 1

German double with Kienle and Lange

Ryf and Carfrae but Carfrae and Ryf would be better.

Good West Australian Age Group story happening this weekend

David and Michelle Boyes both Very competitive age group athletes will do their 10th consecutive Hawaii as husband and wife.

Got married on the island 10 years ago.

Both have placed in top 5 in respective age groups multiple times.

Best of luck to them.

51 minutes ago, Triatx said:

David and Michelle Boyes both Very competitive age group athletes will do their 10th consecutive Hawaii as husband and wife.

Best of luck to them.

For the last 14 years there has only been two things stopping me from qualifying for Kona at IMWA.

1, David Boyes

2. Taking 2.5 hours off my time 😀

Good luck to David and Michelle this weekend.

• Haha 4

Gomez wont place, maybe not even top 5. I cant understand the love for the guy when he hasn't even ever won a full distance, let alone raced Kona before.

2 minutes ago, more said:

Gomez wont place, maybe not even top 5. I cant understand the love for the guy when he hasn't even ever won a full distance, let alone raced Kona before.

Everyone entitled to their opinion but he did come second in a time faster than most in Kona. 7:56 I think. 

So a sub 8 on debut is impressive. 

Only beaten by a guy (2minutes) that is pure class and will probably go top 5 in Kona. 

He has won over every other CHAMPIONSHIP distance.  

Something only 3 others have done. 

So that’s why the love. In my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

Everyone entitled to their opinion but he did come second in a time faster than most in Kona. 7:56 I think. 

So a sub 8 on debut is impressive. 

Only beaten by a guy (2minutes) that is pure class and will probably go top 5 in Kona. 

He has won over every other CHAMPIONSHIP distance.  

Something only 3 others have done. 

So that’s why the love. In my opinion. 

Yeah but that's like saying Josh Amberger coming first in 2017 at Cairns with 8:02 should have meant he would have come a very close second at Kona...compared to the 29th place he actually came. 

They are different beasts...? And he didn't exactly excel in Sth Africa with a 3rd. I'm not saying he wont eventually win, just not this year. I can understand the love, but I think its a little premature.

Edited by more

32 minutes ago, more said:

They are different beasts...? And he didn't exactly excel in Sth Africa with a 3rd. I'm not saying he wont eventually win, just not this year. I can understand the love, but I think its a little premature.

You are taking the piss right?

he came 3rd at the world champs and you are saying he didn’t excel. 

In that case there are about 45 male pros that shouldn’t start the swim on Saturday.

cause they are going to be wasting their time. 

Note: I’m not saying Gomez will come top 5, but he has a far better chance than a bunch of other guys toeing the start line.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, more said:

Yeah good point 

1 hour ago, more said:

A place in Kona is top 10 

29 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeah good point 

A61E88F9-7DE8-4AA7-9F6D-0ADE9B1F51D5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Triatx said:

Best of luck to them.

Must have a bit of disposable income between them!  Good luck to them.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

In that case there are about 45 male pros that shouldn’t start the swim on Saturday.

cause they are going to be wasting their time. 

Note: I’m not saying Gomez will come top 5, but he has a far better chance than a bunch of other guys toeing the start line.  

I’m half taking the piss/footy talk half being serious but only about him not being top 5 at Kona this year.

I look at it this way-Kona is the big kahuna of full distance and people are saying Gomez as someone who has only raced a handful of IM,never won one and came 3rd in a race much closer to his speciality is going to just come out and smash it at Kona against seasoned long course pros. I just don’t see it happening..I personally wouldn’t think I could win the World Champs on debut without having ever won a qualifier

8 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

If I was a punter and looking for a smoky with long odds I’d place bets on both Curry and Wurf ...

Agreed - I reckon Wurf is a big chance, actually.

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

Agreed - I reckon Wurf is a big chance, actually.

+1.

But I think more likely next year, when he only does 18 IM races in the lead-up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

+1.

But I think more likely next year, when he only does 18 IM races in the lead-up.

Pete Jacobs did about 20 before AP coached him to his win. 🙄

17 hours ago, Peter said:

From the footage I saw at the worlds, the pros were riding well within the 12m and only AB and Frodeno did any work at the front. They both mentioned this in post race interviews, they were pretty pissed off with the other guys so Gomez had an easier ride. He'll go top 10, but not podium. I'd imagine 5th, 6th. Best case scenario.

Similarly in Cairns when the pros went past me the opposite way, 7 of them stacked up,  probs 3 - 5m apart, two TOs following them. Makes me think are the TOs too intimidated, or have the pros figured out what the minimum distance is they can get away with. 12m is massive, you're not going to get pinged if you're 8, 9, 10m apart TOs don't have a measuring tape, they're not going to ping someone close to rge 12m mark... and if you've got a massive headwind, what a huge advantage you've got if you can sit 8m behind someone for 180km.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

Men: Lange, Kienle, McMahon, Gomez, Berkel

Women: Ryf, Carfrae, Crowley, Haug, Charles

Really wanted to pick Carfrae for the upset win. Thought the year off would have fueled the fire, but changed my mind after watching her YouTube video. Not sure how well Charles will handle all the attention as one of the favourites. Picked Crowley for the last podium spot because she is an Aussie and I know her coach. Think Haug is too good a talent not to do well.

Sanders seems to have spent too much energy obsessing over the race. Think he will be mentally burnt out before he starts. Suspect there will be carnage on the bike leg. Lange seems the best at riding his own race, so will let the rest self destruct up the road. Picked Berkel for 5th because he's an aussie and Gomez for 4th to upset more (and picked top 5 to annoy Peter)

8 time world champ Gomez just said on imtalk day 1 he could easily go sub 2:40 in a normal Ironman. 

I cant wait to see the next few years ahead of him. 

excuse my ignorance, but is the rain I see on the Facebook feed for the parade of nations normal for this time of year ?

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

8 time world champ Gomez just said on imtalk day 1 he could easily go sub 2:40 in a normal Ironman. 

Is he taking the piss? Whats a normal Iron man? Cairns where he did 2:41? 

2 minutes ago, more said:

And Cairns was 27 C a wee bit cooler than Kona. It would have been about 17 degrees when he started the bike, compared to Kona's 30 degrees. 

1 hour ago, more said:

I think he was taking the piss given he only needs to go 1 minute faster and he walked a fair bit in the last 10k at Cairns.

1 hour ago, zed said:

And Cairns was 27 C a wee bit cooler than Kona. It would have been about 17 degrees when he started the bike, compared to Kona's 30 degrees. 

He said a normal ironman.  Not Kona

Edited by Peter
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Do you work Peter or do you spend your days listening to podcasts.😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

Do you work Peter or do you spend your days listening to podcasts.😀

Inspecting houses. Spend time in car and don’t like music. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I think he was taking the piss given he only needs to go 1 minute faster and he walked a fair bit in the last 10k at Cairns.

Wow I don’t know he walked at Cairns. Agree he is going to be phenomenal in time to come-next year look out!!!

On 08/10/2018 at 11:07 PM, Limited said:

1. Lange 2. Seb

1. Ryf 2. Lucy

This one

1 hour ago, more said:

Wow I don’t know he walked at Cairns. Agree he is going to be phenomenal in time to come-next year look out!!!

He said in the interview he walked. I didn’t know either 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

He needs to win Kona or an Olympic gold. He has failed in too many of the big Head to heads - come on son, you’ve got this!