Jump to content
Peter

If sanders doesn’t win in 2018 he never will. (Kona)

Recommended Posts

I’ve been thinking. Frodo will be back next year. Will probably win.  

The gomez will have a race or two under his belt and he is naturally a better athlete than sanders. 

Then along will come Alister Brownlee. He will dominate Kona for 1-3 years 

then probably Johnny Brownless will turn up. Win a few. 

So I think this is his best chance to win Kona. 

A bit like rinny did between Chrissie and Ryf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been saying that about Frodo for the last two Kona's now....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, goughy said:

We've been saying that about Frodo for the last two Kona's now....

Well I’m right. He didn’t win last year and I doubt this year. But I’ll admit, if not injured he would have destroyed them all this year. 

9 minutes ago, pieman said:

So many huge calls in one post...

It’s how I roll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Well I’m right. He didn’t win last year and I doubt this year. But I’ll admit, if not injured he would have destroyed them all this year. 

It’s how I roll. 

"if not injured" 

 

Say no more.... 

 

 

Frodo won't do Hawaii again. 

Sanders will never win. 

Lange and Gomez are in the box seat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

"if not injured"

 

"Its a fine line between fit and ****ed" S kienle 2018

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If not this year, it'll be next year that the uber bikers take bake the crown.

Burgs is a swim biker.... 😎🤘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see the Brownlee's winning. Don't they hate the heat...especially at Olympic Distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I’ve been thinking. Frodo will be back next year. Will probably win.  

The gomez will have a race or two under his belt and he is naturally a better athlete than sanders. 

Then along will come Alister Brownlee. He will dominate Kona for 1-3 years 

then probably Johnny Brownless will turn up. Win a few. 

So I think this is his best chance to win Kona. 

A bit like rinny did between Chrissie and Ryf. 

If the Marathon is ever run on a track then Sanders has this race won for sure.... I love the way he leans into a bend ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, but for different reasons. I think psychologically, with everything he has done for this year, if he doesn't win he'll be a broken man. 

He has been hyper focused, hell bent on fixing those few minutes he lost by in 2017. 

I don't know if he could go through it again, if someting "different"  means he doesn't take it this year. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I can't see the Brownlee's winning. Don't they hate the heat...especially at Olympic Distance.

I could see a Brownlee winning once, but I don't think either could sustain the training needed long enough to take it out twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as ability goes, Alistair Brownlee could and should win Kona. He only had 4 weeks solid training leading up to his 2nd place at the 70.3 worlds. As far as run volume goes, well he was doing 120km+ running a week before he switched to the longer stuff. Many pros are running well under 100. I'd imagine IM training is going to be easier on the body for him so less injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Currie is a red hot chance i reckon

Hot red curry. Yum

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing that might help Brownlee (either) is bringing the training intensity down for the long stuff.  Is it the volume that's breaking him, or the volume and pace?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goughy said:

The one thing that might help Brownlee (either) is bringing the training intensity down for the long stuff.  Is it the volume that's breaking him, or the volume and pace?

I think he's had issues with his hip, Achilles and calves. His 10km run split PB during an OD is 29.x, so 2.55 pace, training for that kind of speed must put a significant load on the body compared to 3.55 pace for a 2.45 marathon.

Theoretically, his run volume won't change if he switches to the full, only the intensity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Lionel is a real chance this weekend, and I will back him for the win (note: I know SFA :))

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×