BarryBevan

Gonna would have should have

Triathlon is littered with broken dreams. Each race finish areas are filled with stories of I would have gone 4 something or run faster, if:

1. My gut let me down.

2. I had a bad day.

3. I normally hit higher numbers in training.

4. I bike 330 watts but today i could only do 220.

The other approach is to make the excuse up front.

This is not my A race, i'll see what happens, normally means they trained for 12 months tapered and shaved down. Then shurg at end and say I haven't even done any training.

Cycling and running don't seem to have this behaviour, triathlon seems to own it.

• Like 1

I laugh when hearing a triathlete talk and within 3 minutes they always tell of their injury. 

Triathletes are always injured. 

Softcocks. 

probably seems excessive compared to one dimensional sports because we have three areas to expand on post race, not to mention transitions.  There are just so many things which a high on adrenaline post race triathlete can burble on about - hmm 🤔 think I could be talking about myself here 😬 

• Haha 1

I actually enjoy the post race discussions.  I find it interesting discussing with others how their race went, and ask all sorts of questions on factors which may have influenced their race.  Used to do the same thing when I just ran and I heard pretty similar comments, so it’s not unique to triathlon.  i Used to cycle with a few racers and always heard similar comments post race, the heat the state of the road, the wind, the other tossers who interrupted their sprint to glory.  So no, I don’t think triathletes “own it”.

• Like 1

I have marshaled plenty of kids triathlons. Listening to 7 and 8 year olds as they pick up their bikes in transition after the race is hilarious. It is the exact conversation, word for word, as the 30 and 40 year olds.

Sure, though in running and biking. You either do it or you don't, get gapped by the bunch by a minute come back next week. In triahtlon its and endless spiel of how good people are going to be, little accountability.

Of course there are the FOP who tend just to get it done

I find Triathlon similar to golf. It is difficult to do a good tee shot, good approach shot and good putt on the same hole. Even if you can, it seems impossible to do that 9 or 18 times in row.

With Triathlon, getting the swim, transitions, bike and run all working well in the same race often seems just as difficult.

Edited by Rob

Thread title matches my life.  But not tri; there I keep my expectations low and frequently meet them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

Thread title matches my life.  But not tri; there I keep my expectations low and frequently meet them.

Think many of us could say the same. Looking back I've done this too. Bottom line is I'm in my forties no one cares about what i woiulda shoulda done. Doing what I can get done with the time and capability I have is what I do, the time is what it is. 

Grates to hear drivel post race, I had a bad day, when what actually happened was they biked at 80 % of a number they never even got close to at training and they ran no more than 30 k a week,

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Sure, though in running and biking. You either do it or you don't, get gapped by the bunch by a minute come back next week. In triahtlon its and endless spiel of how good people are going to be, little accountability.

Of course there are the FOP who tend just to get it done

Outside of this forum ( where I don’t see much evidence of pre race bragging) I only know about 6 triathletes and none of them behave like that.

The injury stuff? I hear it at crit races, TTers have made it an art form and my CC ride is a constant stream of book of excuses quotations :lol:

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Outside of this forum ( where I don’t see much evidence of pre race bragging) I only know about 6 triathletes and none of them behave like that.

The injury stuff? I hear it at crit races, TTers have made it an art form and my CC ride is a constant stream of book of excuses quotations :lol:

bloody cyclists

• Haha 1

Most are never happy with their times, but I was and still am just happy to finish and just enjoy it for what it is....a hobby and stoked I can just complete, but each to their own.

Everyone's different.

Edited by Clarkevitch

I do find myself reporting times alongside the category of race to people that really don't care. My message to the family Whatsapp group after Sydney Half included the phrase "without a taper". They couldn't give a stuff.

Find pre race excuses more effective.  Gets you on the front foot if it goes to sh$t

Pre = setting expectation parameters

Post = providing context for results. 

Easy.

It's why I always expect to fail (going right back to school).  That way anything at all better than failure is a pleasant surprise.

13 minutes ago, goughy said:

It's why I always expect to fail (going right back to school).  That way anything at all better than failure is a pleasant surprise.

I’m so farking average.  

Even at parkrun today I finished at 50% in all of Australia. 

6 hours ago, trifun said:

We obviously don't race with the same cyclists....

I was going to say the same thing. 

Re: Injuries...... I have been  carrying different injuries for 3 years or so now and never say would’ve could’ve etc.

i am a realist. I always reflect and say.... it is what it is..... just glad I got it done and hope for a better outcome next year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Clarkevitch said:

Most are never happy with their times,

Yeah it amazes me how many people set themselves unrealistic expectations for race times/goals and then are gutted when they don't reach them. Plus I think it's important to change your goals/expectations as the race unfolds. You can't be expecting PBs on a 40 C day. Set yourself minor goals, maybe negatively splitting the run or just finishing. And if you have a shit day, smile, slap yourself on your back and move on. If you run yourself down and are uber negative after a race, you'll end up hating the sport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah it amazes me how many people set themselves unrealistic expectations for race times/goals and then are gutted when they don't reach them. Plus I think it's important to change your goals/expectations as the race unfolds. You can't be expecting PBs on a 40 C day. Set yourself minor goals, maybe negatively splitting the run or just finishing. And if you have a shit day, smile, slap yourself on your back and move on. If you run yourself down and are uber negative after a race, you'll end up hating the sport. 

Yep. For almost all of us this is a hobby. A hobby that keeps us healthy and fit but has no more "importance" than needlepoint or watercolour painting. It's meant to be fun!

• Like 1

Im the first with the excuses esp after a crit or road race - " I was going to win that but he/she/they went too fast "   

You gotta laugh. We do it for fun dont we? 

• Like 1

I’m just overweight and unfit. No excuses - just facts. 

• Like 1

My two favourite things are:

a) the people who don’t want to volunteer the finish time.

b) this that say..... I was on sub 10 hour pace on the bike etc but pull out a 12+ race.

i always respond........I was on sub 8 pace in the first 50metres of the swim!

• Like 1

Two things I find nauseating on Facebook that triathletes are the champions of:

• FIGJAM posts
  • Throw Back Thursday {or any day of week}

Triathletes, more than other sports my FB friends participate in, excel in both these regards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

My two favourite things are:

a) the people who don’t want to volunteer the finish time.

b) this that say..... I was on sub 10 hour pace on the bike etc but pull out a 12+ race.

i always respond........I was on sub 8 pace in the first 50metres of the swim!

Absolutely, when people say I was on sub 10 pace after the bike but run 5 hour marathons. Feel like saying you were on 5 hour marathon pace.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zed said:

I think there is a distinct difference between setting unrealistic goals and being disappointed with your time.

6 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah it amazes me how many people set themselves unrealistic expectations for race times/goals and then are gutted when they don't reach them.

I think there's a tendency among triathletes to be too focused on the time.

If you focus on putting in your best possible race and achieve that goal, you will axiomatically finish in your best possible time.

With an obsession on chasing PBs on flat, fast courses and chasing parameters, i think the art of racing becomes somewhat lost.

Learning to race, to pace oneself and respond intuitively as the day unfolds comes from racing frequently, over a variety of conditions and courses. We're collectively losing that internal knowledge of race craft as we've lost the variety in the sport and the expense has killed frequent racing.

Long gone are the days of racing of 12 or 15 tris in a season across a full spectrum of distances for several years, and with it all that teaches an athlete.

Undoubtedly there is a value is powermeters and other analytical toys but there is so more to being adept at racing than analysing or monitoring numbers.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Undoubtedly there is a value is powermeters and other analytical toys but there is so more to being adept at racing than analysing or monitoring numbers.

All the toys in the world won't teach you how far you really can push yourself, near as much as that guy that always beats you starting to slow down a fraction, 200m in front of you, 2km from the finish.

5 hours ago, CEM said:

Two things I find nauseating on Facebook that triathletes are the champions of:

• FIGJAM posts
  • Throw Back Thursday {or any day of week}

Triathletes, more than other sports my FB friends participate in, excel in both these regards.

No the worst than ng is people posting photos of the,selves at Kona 3years ago and they aren’t even there. 

Seriously. It’s someone else’s time. Let them post their photos. Not you stealing their limelight. 

• Like 1

I see this much more in everyday life than in triathlon.

Lots of people making excuses as to why other people have a better car, house, better job etc and reasons why they haven't been able to achieve it.

• Like 1

Swam 5km ocean swim this am, came 2nd OA by 20m, didn't die, nuff said.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

All the toys in the world won't teach you how far you really can push yourself, near as much as that guy that always beats you starting to slow down a fraction, 200m in front of you, 2km from the finish.

That’s why I’ve always tried to do as much variety as possible, crits,  RR, TT, trail racing,  running, short long, all of it.

I don’t think you’ll ever push yourself like you do with a number on and it also teaches race tactics and thinking on your feet/wheels and learning to adapt.

Zwift and PMs have their place and are great but there’s still nothing like the learning you get from ‘getting amongst it’ on all sorts of courses in all sorts of weathers.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

My fav is the guy who takes a year off to freshen up to chase an age group record. 

Then as the race gets closer won’t commit to a time.

Or the guy who hangs shit on ppl for their performances. Then has a shocker of a race, runs off & sooks. Not posting for almost 12months. 

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

That’s why I’ve always tried to do as much variety as possible, crits,  RR, TT, trail racing,  running, short long, all of it.

I don’t think you’ll ever push yourself like you do with a number on and it also teaches race tactics and thinking your feet/wheels and leaning to adapt.

Zwift and PMs have their place and are great but there’s still nothing like the learning you get from ‘getting amongst it’ on all sorts of courses in all sorts of weathers.

Agree with all that,  though as a zwift lunatic, I think I can work harder on a zwift race than I can on the road/real world

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Agree with all that,  though as a zwift lunatic, I think I can work harder on a zwift race than I can on the road/real world

Honest question, cause I've never done a virtual race. Can you really learn race-craft, or dig to the very depths of what you have on zwift, as well as you can in a hotly contested race?

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Honest question, cause I've never done a virtual race. Can you really learn race-craft, or dig to the very depths of what you have on zwift, as well as you can in a hotly contested race?

Learn racecraft? No.

Learn to dig deep? yes. (but motivation is what you make it, racing some random I have never met? nope, racing someone from a rival local club, yep.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No and No.

real life racing also has the mental factor. How many people out there who have a bad day think about how they will be perceived by their peers etc.

Thats why they all come up with excuses. And 90% are not legit.

First day back at work today (after gold coast plus school hols),

ppl ask "So how was that triathlon you did?"

ans is: "O/K, came 31st (by o.2 of  second)"

response usually is: "So how many people did you beat/ were in the race"

2nd ans: " The world (well the over 50's proportion of it)"

Who do I blame? - the 30 ppl who ran faster than me - and that fat lazy guy (me) :)

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

you can't learn craft but you can dig to the depths

28 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

you can't learn craft but you can dig to the depths

Yeah I'd agree with that to a degree but there I think the digging is more 'measured'. You still have time on Zwift to look at a big screen and see big numbers. The dig in a real world race is more instinctive IME.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Yeah I'd agree with that to a degree but there I think the digging is more 'measured'. You still have time on Zwift to look at a big screen and see big numbers. The dig in a real world race is more instinctive IME.

That's where I'm going too. When I really get into it, my motivation is good, and I can do some pretty ridiculous stuff on my own, but I don't think I could ever simulate the effort I can put in on a finishing straight, or to hang on to a group in a bike race. My 10km PB was done in a handicap, from scratch, chasing the whole way to pass the last guy in the final 100m. I could never have dug a hole that deep in simulation.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2018 at 8:35 PM, RunBrettRun said:

I see this much more in everyday life than in triathlon.

Lots of people making excuses as to why other people have a better car, house, better job etc and reasons why they haven't been able to achieve it.

At the family reunion I sat with some of my cousins and they talked about a book that my uncle has published on our Grandparents. In the book it refers to the mismanagement of funds and bankruptcy etc of our Grandparents. My cousins and my older sister then whole heartedly started blaming our dead grandparents for the fact that we were all struggling financially in life...... 

It was really lucky that I was full zombie tired/unwell because I felt like ripping them a new arsehole. 

Why blame them? 

You're all still under 50....keep going....etc etc ffs. 

It was ****ing sad to hear. 

I went to bed a few minutes later. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

It was really lucky that I was full zombie tired/unwell because I felt like ripping them a new arsehole. 

Why blame them? You're all still under 50....keep going....etc etc ffs. 

a) you should have.

b) I like your attitude. Again... you should have called them on it. :)

• Like 1